Author Topic: Ronnie Coleman sueing Golds Gym??? WTF!  (Read 16126 times)

ja351

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Ronnie Coleman sueing Golds Gym??? WTF!
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:27:06 PM »
Ronnie Coleman, who has been crowned Mr. Olympia (do they crown them??) eight times, is suing Gold's Gym for allegedly using his muscles to lure in members.

In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Coleman claims Gold's used a photo of him to advertise Gold's ... a photo that was plastered on posters.

Coleman is suing for misappropriation of image, invasion of privacy and unjust enrichment. He's seeking unspecified damages and an injunction putting the kibosh on the poster.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/28/mr-olympia-rages-at-golds-gym/

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Ronnie C sueing Golds Gym??? wtf
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
hAHAHA, yeah i'm sure all the old fogies and soccer moms were joining in droves because Ronnie's picture was on the poster. ::)

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
whats he gonna sue for a, "gazillion" dollars and come into court and say, "yeah buddddyyyy I need my money"

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »
bodybuilders are losers, sorry to say, he actually thinks people are joining cause of his gut extended ass..GTFOH

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:37:13 PM »
Doesn't matter, Sarcasm and Jock.  You have to get permission to use someone's likeness if your goal's to make money.  And it doesn't matter how much business you generate due to Ronnie's silouette (or whatever); that you use it for any kind of marketing purpose puts your company in deep doo-doo.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
Ronnie Coleman, who has been crowned Mr. Olympia (do they crown them??) eight times, is suing Gold's Gym for allegedly using his muscles to lure in members.

In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Coleman claims Gold's used a photo of him to advertise Gold's ... a photo that was plastered on posters.

Coleman is suing for misappropriation of image, invasion of privacy and unjust enrichment. He's seeking unspecified damages and an injunction putting the kibosh on the poster.

I hope he wins the lawsuit. well, I guess Ronnie will never get a membership at Gold's

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »
Doesn't matter, Sarcasm and Jock.  You have to get permission to use someone's likeness if your goal's to make money.  And it doesn't matter how much business you generate due to Ronnie's silouette (or whatever); that you use it for any kind of marketing purpose puts your company in deep doo-doo.
I dont have a problem suing folks for using my face when I was in the top 10 Mr. O in early 90s, but point is like every bodybuilder before him he aint gonna get squat out of it.  Many have tried before him he is no different in the bodybuilding world....a hormonalized, lifting weight, big SOB, trying to get paid.......

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »
??
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »

"Misappropriation of image"? He let himself into bodybuilding...  :D

...and "invasion of privacy"? Homeboy is posing under bright lights in nothing but a thong. How is that an "invasion"?  :D

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

Very true Miss Demeanor, using the likeness of a celebrity or public figure for a COMMERCIAL purpose subjects the user to liability.

Your buddy, Mr. Felony  :D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
HAHA my golds has a signed photo of ronnie. I wonder if that counts?
A

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
The bigger story here is that Ronnie Coleman made TMZ.  BTW, I think someone at TMZ reads Getbig because I've seen them use several of our catch phrases and they keep a close eye on the more jacked entertainers and are relatively physique-conscious of the photos, moreso than any other media outlet I know.  

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »
 :-[

4. OK, he's just gross. I'm sure it was hard work, but yuck!

Posted at 9:10PM on Jul 28th 2008 by Jez

5. I take steroids all the time and got really big, He should be proud of his hot bodyyyyyyyyy. I think he is so friggin hot and I am a male.

Posted at 9:12PM on Jul 28th 2008 by FiBiker

11. Yuck. He makes me want to barf.

Posted at 9:58PM on Jul 28th 2008 by Holly

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »
The bigger story here is that Ronnie Coleman made TMZ.  BTW, I think someone at TMZ reads Getbig.  I've seen them use several of our catch phrases and they put together photo collections about bodybuilders...in addition they keep a close eye on the more jacked entertainers and are relatively physique-conscious of the photos, moreso than I've seen any other media outlet.   

Harvey Levine, the owner of it is a gay dude that works out.  guy on left:

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 07:36:21 PM »
Harvey Levine, the owner of it is a gay dude that works out.  guy on left:

I know Harvey, he was training at Gold's at 4:30am for a while with us but I still don't think it's quite HIM that's the one on their website staff reading Getbig.   

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »
I dont have a problem suing folks for using my face when I was in the top 10 Mr. O in early 90s, but point is like every bodybuilder before him he aint gonna get squat out of it.  Many have tried before him he is no different in the bodybuilding world....a hormonalized, lifting weight, big SOB, trying to get paid.......

what does that have to do with a corporation using his image without his consent?
I

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »
what does that have to do with a corporation using his image without his consent?
if you know the bodybuilding world and how we try to sue for everything you understand my fiend,,,,,,

rk272727

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »
good for ronnie  they need to show respect to him
b

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »
Sign that Ronnie is nearly broke. Congrats on wasting all your money on cars and 30" rimz  :-\
Team Yates

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:35 PM »
Sign that Ronnie is nearly broke. Congrats on wasting all your money on cars and 30" rimz  :-\
imo i think he is just done with BBing, so he is not worried about pissing anyone off.
A

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
Nothing surprises me anymore, I remember years ago Robby Robinson tried to sue Joe Weider because that famous image of Joe Weider in bronze crossing his arms in a bodybuilders physique (usually in the first few pages of the magazines) is Robbies physique. In Ronnies case it maybe different since he generates income for representing certain companies.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 09:14:09 PM »
Nothing surprises me anymore, I remember years ago Robby Robinson tried to sue Joe Weider because that famous image of Joe Weider in bronze crossing his arms in a bodybuilders physique (usually in the first few pages of the magazines) is Robbies physique. In Ronnies case it maybe different since he generates income for representing certain companies.
That's fuckup :-\
A

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Very true Miss Demeanor, using the likeness of a celebrity or public figure for a COMMERCIAL purpose subjects the user to liability.

Your buddy, Mr. Felony  :D

The posters they have had in Golds Gym have been there 20+ years.  Gold's has been sued by just about everybody for just about everything.  I am pretty sure they are covered.  having a poster of someone in your business without actually using their name or profiting from using their likeness will basically bring nothing.  I will find out the exactly tomorrow.  But, I would think he has no basis for the suit.  How much is he suing for and how can he prove how much if any Gold's has made from his likeness.  What a piece of shit he is.  Maybe they should bill him for all the free days he trained their.  Nice way of showing appreciation to business that supported him all those years.  Typical asshole.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
The posters they have had in Golds Gym have been there 20+ years.  Gold's has been sued by just about everybody for just about everything.  I am pretty sure they are covered.  having a poster of someone in your business without actually using their name or profiting from using their likeness will basically bring nothing.  I will find out the exactly tomorrow.  But, I would think he has no basis for the suit.  How much is he suing for and how can he prove how much if any Gold's has made from his likeness.  What a piece of shit he is.  Maybe they should bill him for all the free days he trained their.  Nice way of showing appreciation to business that supported him all those years.  Typical asshole.
his a scumbag, would jay do that?