Author Topic: Young Viewers Avoid Fox News  (Read 4719 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Young Viewers Avoid Fox News
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/01/02/young-viewers-avoid-fox-news-plague-ratings-drop-30.html

Young Viewers Avoid Fox News Like the Plague as Ratings Drop 30%
By: Jason Easley
Thursday, January, 2nd, 2014, 3:59 pm

Fox News’ attempt to stop the flood of young viewers from fleeing the network failed as FNC lost the most young viewers of any cable news network in 2013.

TVNewser reported on the big drop in young people tuning into Fox News, “Compared to 2012, Fox News was down -5% in total viewers and -19% in the A25-54 demographic in total day. In primetime, the network was down -14% in total viewers and -30% in the demo, the steepest decline among younger viewers of all the cable news networks.”

2012 was a presidential election year, so all three cable news networks lost viewers in 2013. The difference is that at Fox News this problem has been going on for years. The move of Megyn Kelly to 9 PM was supposed to attract young viewers, but Kelly suffered a drop 23% in young viewership compared to Sean Hannity’s 2012 ratings. Bill O’Reilly is down 23% with younger viewers, and Hannity is down 16%.

Fox knows that this is a serious problem. It’s the reason why they shook up their primetime schedule. The reality is that Fox News has the oldest audience in all television. The average age of a Fox News viewer is 65 years old. FNC can remain the ratings leader in the short term future as long as the senior set keeps tuning in, but what happens when there aren’t enough young people tuning in to replace the elderly audience?

If Fox News fails to build a future audience, they will go extinct. It would have been unfathomable in early 1990s to suggest that one day CNN would be the least watched cable news network, but that is exactly what has happened. Beneath all of the arrogant swagger and bragging, Fox News has a huge problem.

It isn’t just that younger people aren’t watching. They are flat out rejecting Fox News. Just like the Republican Party, Fox News is aging and fading. Attempts to rebrand are going nowhere, as young news consumers have been turned off by Fox.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Young Viewers Avoid Fox News
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 04:32:28 PM »
young viewers are higher % liberal, and older viewers are higher % conservative.

And yes, older ppl are more likely to watch 5 hours of cable news every day lol... they're retired and home and concerned with politics, whereas some younger people are busier with school, kids, family, lots of work hours, etc.

THAT is why FOX keeps winning the ratings wars, but repubs have only been able to scrape 2 "barely" wins out (by one contested state with plenty of lawsuits) of the last 6 elections - the other 4 were pretty decent dem smackdowns.

Anybody here that thinks a repub will ever win in 2016 with 330 electoral votes is probably eating the pot brownies.  Either it'll be a dem blowout, or a Repub narrow win by 1 state with lots of lawsuits.  history says that, and hispanic vote growing while going more dem every time.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
young viewers are higher % liberal, and older viewers are higher % conservative.

And yes, older ppl are more likely to watch 5 hours of cable news every day lol... they're retired and home and concerned with politics, whereas some younger people are busier with school, kids, family, lots of work hours, etc.

THAT is why FOX keeps winning the ratings wars, but repubs have only been able to scrape 2 "barely" wins out (by one contested state with plenty of lawsuits) of the last 6 elections - the other 4 were pretty decent dem smackdowns.

Anybody here that thinks a repub will ever win in 2016 with 330 electoral votes is probably eating the pot brownies.  Either it'll be a dem blowout, or a Repub narrow win by 1 state with lots of lawsuits.  history says that, and hispanic vote growing while going more dem every time.

easy, let's not make sence,you'll get that great comeback "keep dreaming, shit ball"

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
young democrat viewers

young republicans avoid cnn and msnbc liek puke plague

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
exactly...most of them outgrow liberalism once they move out of their parents' houses and start paying taxes

That's why the Republican party keeps growing and picking up more seats in every election...right?

All they have to do it wait for everyone to age and they will become conservative republicans

From what I've read if there is any political ideology that is most likely to be "outgrown" it's Libertarian

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
That's why the Republican party keeps growing and picking up more seats in every election...right?

All they have to do it wait for everyone to age and they will become conservative republicans

From what I've read if there is any political ideology that is most likely to be "outgrown" it's Libertarian

are u kidding?

libertarian is where most americans end up

after bs noam chumpsky bs from commy gov school

if you are over 40 and a democrat then you work for government or are on welfare simple as that

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
are u kidding?

libertarian is where most americans end up

after bs noam chumpsky bs from commy gov school

if you are over 40 and a democrat then you work for government or are on welfare simple as that

too bad actual election results don't support your belief

the same goes for Republicans who fear their base is dying off (why would they fear that if young people were queued up to become conservatives)

libertarianism is an adolescent belief system in and of itself which is so appealing to teenagers (and adults who have never actually grown up)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
sounds like you love the kawk

LOL - out of ideas already ?

If that's what my post "sounds like" to you then I guess you have much more experience with "the kawk" than I do

Either that or your love of "kawk" makes you hear it everywhere

This author perfectly summed up the queen of libertarians and her philosophy as "adult onset adolescence"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ayn-rands-adult-onset-adolescence/2011/04/21/AFv2JyKE_story.html

Rand’s novels are vehicles for a system of thought known asObjectivism. Rand developed this philosophy at the length of Tolstoy, with the intellectual pretensions of Hegel, but it can be summarized on a napkin. Reason is everything. Religion is a fraud. Selfishness is a virtue. Altruism is a crime against human excellence. Self-sacrifice is weakness. Weakness is contemptible. “The Objectivist ethics, in essence,” said Rand, “hold that man exists for his own sake, that the pursuit of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose, that he must not sacrifice himself to others, nor sacrifice others to himself.”

If Objectivism seems familiar, it is because most people know it under another name: adolescence. Many of us experienced a few unfortunate years of invincible self-involvement, testing moral boundaries and prone to stormy egotism and hero worship. Usually one grows out of it, eventually discovering that the quality of our lives is tied to the benefit of others. Rand’s achievement was to turn a phase into a philosophy, as attractive as an outbreak of acne.

The appeal of Ayn Rand to conservatives is both considerable and inexplicable. Modern conservatism was largely defined by Ronald Reagan’s faith in the people instead of elites. Rand regarded the people as “looters” and “parasites.” She was a strenuous advocate for class warfare, except that she took the side of a mythical class of capitalist supermen. Rand, in fact, pronounced herself “profoundly opposed” to Reagan’s presidential candidacy, since he did not meet her exacting ideological standards.

Rand cherished a particular disdain for Christianity. The cross, she said, is “the symbol of the sacrifice of the ideal to the nonideal. . . . It is in the name of that symbol that men are asked to sacrifice themselves for their inferiors. That is precisely how the symbolism is used. That is torture.” Yet some conservatives marked Holy Week by attending and embracing “Atlas Shrugged.”

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
I spell it that way to avoid auto editing, numb nuts.

Your source is pure garbage...elections go the way they do because unfortunately our country's majority seem to be cowed, self-hating white "males", brain-dead soccer moms, babykillers, minorities, queers, and other weirdos...all of whom vote democrat.

feel free to spell it out

the author is a conservative and a former speech writer for Bush and a senior policy advisor for the Heritage Foundation

also, anyone who can understands libertarian philosophy will recognize the comparison to an adolescent mindset (unless of course one is still stuck in such a mindset which the last sentence in your post clearly demonstrates)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
because, of course, anyone who disagrees with geniuses such as yourself is adolescent   ::)

nope

nothing to do with disagreeing with me

try to pay attention

it's the actually philosophy itself that is being compared to the adolescent mindset

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »

If that's what my post "sounds like" to you then I guess you have much more experience with "the kawk" than I do

This author perfectly summed up the queen of libertarians and her philosophy as "adult onset adolescence"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ayn-rands-adult-onset-adolescence/2011/04/21/AFv2JyKE_story.html

::)

Yeah Rand Paul who helped open a non-profit, charitable eye clinic for the poor thinks selfishness is a virtue.

Not to mention the free eye surgeries he regularly performs.

Of course, since opinion columnists tell you what to think, it's about what anyone would expect.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »

::)

Yeah Rand Paul who helped open a non-profit, charitable eye clinic for the poor thinks selfishness is a virtue.

Not to mention the free eye surgeries he regularly performs.

Of course, since opinion columnists tell you what to think, it's about what anyone would expect.

Many of people who claim to admire (some even seem to worship) Ayn Rand don't seem to know (or perhaps just don't understand) key parts of her philosophy

We saw this with Paul Ryan (who became enamored with Rand as an adolescent yet seemed clueless about her philosophy as an adult in spite of requiring his staff to read her awful books)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
Many of people who claim to admire (some even seem to worship) Ayn Rand don't seem to know (or perhaps just don't understand) key parts of her philosophy

We saw this with Paul Ryan (who became enamored with Rand as an adolescent yet seemed clueless about her philosophy as an adult in spite of requiring his staff to read her awful books)

There's been enough in the news about Ryan and his views on Ayn that everybody should know he's flip flopped and all over the place.  One time he's influenced by her, another time he's not.  Maybe this week it's a partial influence.  Maybe he doesn't know what the fuck he thinks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
LMFAO!!!!   Have you communist liberal failures seen the ratings for MSNBC and all the pos on that idiot channel?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
LMFAO!!!!   Have you communist liberal failures seen the ratings for MSNBC and all the pos on that idiot channel?

so what?   I mean, MTV's ratings suck, but miley cyrus is still making millions.  "E" sucks, but people sitll watch their soaps.  And while MSN's ratings suck, obama still owns the white house.

I guess what I'm saying is... people tht watch fox news don't bother to vote on election day,
OR
More repubs watch cable news than dems.

Probably a little of each.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »

1 - Ryan does not speak for me. 

2 - who is your liberal icons'influcences?  Marx?  Lenin? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

yep, so much for that myth about the liberal media influencing elections.....right ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »

economic populism which is what the liberal progressives are all about will only get you so far my friend

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »

TVNewser reported on the big drop in young people tuning into Fox News, “Compared to 2012, Fox News was down -5% in total viewers and -19% in the A25-54 demographic in total day. In primetime, the network was down -14% in total viewers and -30% in the demo, the steepest decline among younger viewers of all the cable news networks.”

My questions are:  how does this compare to other networks in terms of viewers lost/gained in that demographic?  Also, do they still have more viewers in that demographic than other networks? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
My questions are:  how does this compare to other networks in terms of viewers lost/gained in that demographic?  Also, do they still have more viewers in that demographic than other networks? 

The dropoff from the other networks is about as bad, if not worse. And, YES, Fox still has way more viewers in the demo than either MSNBC or CNN.

Some folks are just obsessed with the demise of Fox News, almost to the point of neurosis.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
YES, Fox still has way more viewers in the demo than either MSNBC or CNN.

More repubs watch cable news.  We know this because they have more viewers, but keep on losing elections. 

Dems have won 4/6 recent prez elections by huge margins.
Repubs have won 2/6 recent prez elections by one contested state that could have gone either way.

Nobody in their right mind predicts a republican landslide win.  Nobody.  And as the hispanic voting block grows, and Dems get more of them anytime, I don't see how it changes.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
More repubs watch cable news.  We know this because they have more viewers, but keep on losing elections.  

Dems have won 4/6 recent prez elections by huge margins.
Repubs have won 2/6 recent prez elections by one contested state that could have gone either way.

Nobody in their right mind predicts a republican landslide win.  Nobody.  And as the hispanic voting block grows, and Dems get more of them anytime, I don't see how it changes.

Fox News viewers aren't just Republicans. That's been shown via Pew Research numbers. And, Fox's dominance on cable isn't about which party is in the White House.

Plus, define "recent" prez elections. You are, of course, leaving out Reagan's two wins and GHW Bush's 88 landslide.

If there's one thing you haven't quite learned is that political fortunes can swing on a dime. Each time one side thinks it's going to rule indefinitely, the applecart gets overturned. Remember how the some in the GOP thought America was going red indefinitely after Bush's re-election?

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:37 PM »

quite the opposite
objectivism rejects the emotional entitlement mentality of adolescents
mentally evading reality is democrat way

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
Plus, define "recent" prez elections. You are, of course, leaving out Reagan's two wins and GHW Bush's 88 landslide.

yes.  That was a whole diff repub party, and hispanics didn't matter as much as they do now, numbers wise.

I'm putting recent as the last 6.  The last 25 years.  Can't deny that. 

I don't see repubs winning POTUS in a landslide in 2016, do you?   If they win, it's a squeaker.  But we can all see a possiblity of a dem winning with 330 electoral votes.  We just saw it.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Fox News viewers aren't just Republicans...
true that!
I love my daily dose of fox news. it makes it more interesting when you actually hear the fuck ups/screw ups live rather than have Jon Stewart replay them. although his group find the juicy, ripe ones.
w