Author Topic: In terms of sheer and utter stupidity, which religion (Islam, Christianity, Juda  (Read 21446 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
No more than you.   ::)

They even have a magazine:  http://atheists.org/aam/  I bet they have t-shirts too. 

A magazine and t-shirts!!! That clinches it then.  Atheism is a religion!!!  Do you hear yourself write?  ;D Gosh, I sure hope all those atheist orgs made sure to apply for tax-exempt status.

The SPCA also puts out a mag, and they sent me a nice t-shirt. Am I now indoctrinated into my local chapter of SPCAism? I had no idea.

How does calling atheism a religion denigrate my faith?

Is that all your faith is to you? Getting together with people on a Sunday to socialize and talk about politics? If so, then I can see where your threshold for what constitutes faith or religion is pretty low.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
A magazine and t-shirts!!! That clinches it then.  Atheism is a religion!!!  Do you hear yourself write?  ;D Gosh, I sure hope all those atheist orgs made sure to apply for tax-exempt status.

The SPCA also puts out a mag, and they sent me a nice t-shirt. Am I now indoctrinated into my local chapter of SPCAism? I had no idea.

Is that all your faith is to you? Getting together with people on a Sunday to socialize and talk about politics? If so, then I can see where your threshold for what constitutes faith or religion is pretty low.

The t-shirt part was a joke.   :)

This isn't just about putting out a magazine.  It's about people organizing around a core belief, meeting on a regular basis, having TV and probably radio shows, national conventions, and having all of the structure of a mainstream religion. 

I never said my faith was just about getting together on Sunday.  Where you getting that from?  Is this the basis for your statement that I denigrate my faith?     

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I agree.  I know Jewish people who love the Christmas season.  But tt doesn't sound like he actually enjoyed the holiday season.  He can correct me if I'm wrong.  

I was raised in a secular Jewish household, Jewish holidays were ignored as well.

I enjoyed the time off during the holiday season; why there was time off was irrelevant to me; could have been the birthday of Zarcon the 4578th Alien Emperor and I would not have cared.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Since you have no life to speak of, yes please provided the definition of ritual, use it in a sentence, its origin, and please site sources.

Thank you

So you basically have no evidence?
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Is that the definition of "religion"?  I don't things like a "book of stories" is necessary.  I think the way these folks have organized to discuss their nonbelief in a non-entity is not only humorous, but qualifies as a "religion."

If it's just a point of view and nothing more, than why all this?

National organizations:   http://www.atheists.org/     http://www.atheistalliance.org/

A TV show called Atheist Viewpoint:  http://atheistviewpoint.tv/

National conventions:  http://www.atheists.org/convention/

All organizations are religious?  Just because there is an organization doesn't make it religious.

It's ridiculous to say an organization that rejects the belief of God is a religion.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Is that the definition of "religion"?  I don't things like a "book of stories" is necessary.  I think the way these folks have organized to discuss their nonbelief in a non-entity is not only humorous, but qualifies as a "religion."

If it's just a point of view and nothing more, than why all this?

National organizations:   http://www.atheists.org/     http://www.atheistalliance.org/

A TV show called Atheist Viewpoint:  http://atheistviewpoint.tv/

National conventions:  http://www.atheists.org/convention/

Come to think of it, I remember a guy, with whom I'd have lots of heated discussions (he was sort of like Deicide, minus the swearing) on a now-defunct forum. He would go to these conventions on a regular basis. I found it particularly "interesting" that this convention was held on the weekend of Easter/Resurrection Sunday. He, of course, claimed that was mere coincidence. But, if I'm not mistaken, that convention was started by one of America's most notorious and rabid atheists, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, who intentionally planned such an event to mock the celebration of Christ's resurrection.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
All organizations are religious?  Just because there is an organization doesn't make it religious.

It's ridiculous to say an organization that rejects the belief of God is a religion.

Why, especially when the argument can be made that this organization has a "deity", an object of worship, if you will?

I suggested some time ago that atheism, at its core, is simply man worshipping himself. That rubbed some people the wrong way. But, that's my take on the issue.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Why, especially when the argument can be made that this organization has a "deity", an object of worship, if you will?

I suggested some time ago that atheism, at its core, is simply man worshipping himself. That rubbed some people the wrong way. But, that's my take on the issue.

I'm not an atheist, However, worshipping ourselves seems silly.

Are you suggesting it's impossible to live without worshipping something?

Recognizing that we are an animal and the universe is random does not seem like worship to me. (I don't believe either premise)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I'm not an atheist, However, worshipping ourselves seems silly.

Are you suggesting it's impossible to live without worshipping something?

Recognizing that we are an animal and the universe is random does not seem like worship to me. (I don't believe either premise)

Silly? Yes!!! But, it's done, nonetheless!!!

If there is no God, then who is the most sentient being in the universe? As far as atheists are concerned, it's man. Atheists love talking about using "logic" and "reason". But whose logic and reason are they using? Is it God's logic and reason? No. They believe in no supernatural deity. Is it that of animals or plants? No.

By default, they are (to borrow a phrase from Scripture) leaning unto their own understanding. Having appointed themselves as the highest of beings and arbitraitors of logic and reason, they have deemed themselves the highest of beings. Hence, this is the reason I make the claim that atheism is effectively man worshipping himself.

OzmO

• Getbig V

If there is no God, then who is the most sentient being in the universe? As far as atheists are concerned, it's man. Atheists love talking about using "logic" and "reason". But whose logic and reason are they using? Is it God's logic and reason? No. They believe in no supernatural deity. Is it that of animals or plants? No.

By default, they are (to borrow a phrase from Scripture) leaning unto their own understanding. Having appointed themselves as the highest of beings and arbitraitors of logic and reason, they have deemed themselves the highest of beings. Hence, this is the reason I make the claim that atheism is effectively man worshipping himself.

Who says they have to believe they or any other are the most sentient being?  I would think in an atheist mind it's simply an unanswered question as the entire universe and everything  in it isn't known.

The idea that there has to be a sentient being is of a more religious idea than anything else. 

It's as if you are attaching that false idea or assumption in hopes of bringing atheism down to earth in a manner of speaking.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Who said all organizations are religious?

It's ridiculous to say that atheists who have all of the earmarks of a religion are not, in essence, a religion.  Don't just point to one item.  Look at everything I mentioned.

They have a fundamental belief (there is no God).
They meet on a regular basis, sometimes every week, at "humanist centers."
They have national and probably local organizations.
They have annual conventions.
They have a cable TV show.
They probably have radio shows.
They publish magazines and likely newsletters.
Based on their website, it looks like they lobby. 
The website also looks like they have support groups.   

If you view these factors together, it absolutely qualifies as a religion in my book.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Who says they have to believe they or any other are the most sentient being?  I would think in an atheist mind it's simply an unanswered question as the entire universe and everything  in it isn't known.

The idea that there has to be a sentient being is of a more religious idea than anything else. 

It's as if you are attaching that false idea or assumption in hopes of bringing atheism down to earth in a manner of speaking.

I do not worship anything. I do not worship man. Man is a poorly evolved ape/mammal who has just crawled out of the primordial mists in terms of evolution. Why would I worship anything as pathetic as that? MCWAY just can't imagine a person worshipping nothing; it's mindboggling to him.
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V

It's ridiculous to say that atheists who have all of the earmarks of a religion are not, in essence, a religion.  Don't just point to one item.  Look at everything I mentioned.

The meet on a regular basis, sometimes every week, at "humanist centers."

If you view these factors together, it absolutely qualifies as a religion in my book.   

So does the local Mustang Car Club.  Or the Moose Lodge or the Chess Club, or the Food Network.   :)

Atheism is the opposite of religion.   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

The meet on a regular basis, sometimes every week, at "humanist centers."

You could say they even have a prophet. You have, of course, seen the "Darwin" fish on the back of some non-believers' cars.

OzmO

• Getbig V
You could say they even have a prophet. You have, of course, seen the "Darwin" fish on the back of some non-believers' cars.

So does the local book club.  They are polytheistic. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So does the local Mustang Car Club.  Or the Moose Lodge or the Chess Club, or the Food Network.   :)

Atheism is the opposite of religion.   

No they don't. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
No they don't. 

What don't they do?

There are probably millions of different organizations in the world that have nothing to do with religion that meet some or all of those things you talked about.

It's a ridiculous comparison. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
What don't they do?

There are probably millions of different organizations in the world that have nothing to do with religion that meet some or all of those things you talked about.

It's a ridiculous comparison. 

Which organizations meet all of the criteria I mentioned? 

That's your opinion.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
Which organizations meet all of the criteria I mentioned? 

That's your opinion.   :)

It's a very weak argument, opinion based or not.

To say that there are no organizations that don't share those points is ridiculous also.

Who's opinion it is doesn't matter.  It's just the way it is.

Deedee

• Getbig V

Your thinking is falacious.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
It's a very weak argument, opinion based or not.

To say that there are no organizations that don't share those points is ridiculous also.

Who's opinion it is doesn't matter.  It's just the way it is.

What, no examples?  And to be more specific, it should be an organization almost mirrors traditional religions and needs to be an organization that bases its existence on the nonbelief in a nonentity.  

That's what makes all of these atheist organizations so ridiculous.  They're really trying too hard to express the lack of belief in something that they believe doesn't exist.  It's comical.  

Deedee

• Getbig V

They meet on a regular basis, sometimes every week, at "humanist centers."

The first requirement for a religion is the worship of a deity or prophet. Please refer to a dictionary for the proper meaning of the word. Fundamental belief doesn't cut it.

As for the rest of what you've listed, is this what defines YOUR faith and religion?  The producing of television shows and magazines? If so, that's a lot of spirituality you got going for yourself Beach Bum.  ;) That's what I meant when I said all you're doing is denigrating yourself.

What you've listed there could be describing any organized entity, as Ozmo kindly did for you, even the democratic or republican parties.  Would you call either of those a religion as well? I think some people simply find it easier to earmark all atheists into a single group as it makes it easier to fear and hate an entity... like islam, or satanism, or what have you, rather than a hodge podge of zillions of unidentifiable people.

OzmO

• Getbig V
What, no examples?  And to be more specific, it should be an organization almost mirrors traditional religions and needs to be an organization that bases its existence on the nonbelief in a nonentity.  

That's what makes all of these atheist organizations so ridiculous.  They're really trying too hard to express the lack of belief in something that they belive doesn't exist.  It's comical.  

I'm not going to waste my time trying to show that some group, like for example the NRA, shares these points.   What you outlined applies to many organizations BIG and small.  

Whether or not Atheists organizations are comical or not is simply a matter of opinion, the same matter of opinion that many share about religious myths.  I think it's silly that they would actually have an organization, but what ever, good for them.  

I don't care what they or anyone else believes.  If someone believes strongly enough in something, then good for them if they want to share their beliefs with like minded individuals.  But to call Atheism a religion is plain stupid.  It's the opposite of religion.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
I love Jesus
X

OzmO

• Getbig V
The first requirement for a religion is the worship of a deity or prophet. Please refer to a dictionary for the proper meaning of the word. Fundamental belief doesn't cut it.

As for the rest of what you've listed, is this what defines YOUR faith and religion?  The producing of television shows and magazines? If so, that's a lot of spirituality you got going for yourself Beach Bum.  ;) That's what I meant when I said all you're doing is denigrating yourself.

What you've listed there could be describing any organized entity, as Ozmo kindly did for you, even the democratic or republican parties.  Would you call either of those a religion as well? I think some people simply find it easier to earmark all atheists into a single group as it makes it easier to fear and hate an entity... like islam, or satanism, or what have you, rather than a hodge podge of zillions of unidentifiable people.

Great post DeeDee.  

Especially the last sentence.  The whole "create something to fear and hate mentality" is a corner stone of doctrine driven religion.