Author Topic: Why are fictitious "superheroes"...  (Read 2890 times)

Orb

• Getbig II
  • BANNED
Why are fictitious "superheroes"...
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
Why are fake "superheroes" liked by kids, adults, and those in between? Is an escape from reality needed that badly for those who look up to these fake fictional characters?

What is the appeal of these "superheroes" where people become obsessive?

The Hollywood movie machine keeps pumping out more of these movies, and the masses go to see them, spending hard earned money on these fake tales and stories.

If you have any thoughts to discuss, do so now below by posting.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Why are fictitious "superheroes"...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
crack

Orb

• Getbig II
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Fair explanation

Orb

• Getbig II
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:45 AM »
+1 point to your avatar with bouncing

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Why are fake "superheroes" liked by kids, adults, and those in between? Is an escape from reality needed that badly for those who look up to these fake fictional characters?

The Hollywood movie machine keeps pumping out more of these movies, and the masses go to see them, spending hard earned money on these fake tales and stories.

since ww1 and ww2 comics depicted supeheros fighting along side american troops as a way to lift there spirits and morale it grew from that. if you can come accross a comic of capt america fighting the germans its worth a good amount
p

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »

arent most movies
p

Orb

• Getbig II
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
arent most movies

Sure. But many movies still can be believable. Unlike a web slinging spider man, or a guy who gets mad, turns green, grows huge temporarily, and takes on army's single handedly.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
it's for kids really

Orb

• Getbig II
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
it's for kids really

This might be the answer here

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »

They are today's myths and legends. Ancient Egypt had it's Gods and mythology, so did Ancient Greece, Rome, Other African Cultures, NA cultures, China has there's (What Dragon Ball Z is based on), etc.
They are extreme examples of human kid---and help work out the battle of good and evil, and serve as entertainment as well.

I think humanity needs these stories to humanize internal struggles and use ficticious people to work out our moral conflicts.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »

One word: hope.

The idea of a superhero gives people hope. Just like the idea of a god.

So in truth, superhero worship is just worship for a deity displaced onto a man-made character. And now this thread will de-evolve into a debate between christians and atheists.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
My question is why are most kid cartoons about talking animals that walk upright?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »
Fake and fictional is basically synonymous.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
Bruce Wayne is the personification of alpha

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
Like they say in Hancock... Gods, Angels, Superheroes... All the same just different names through time. And in my humble opinion based on some fragment of fact. That's why we are fascinated by it. We want to be them. Especially those of us who lift weights.
$

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
My question is why are most kid cartoons about talking animals that walk upright?
Anthropomorphism is a common theme not just amongst children's cartoons, but also in fables from Europe, Aesop's Fables, fables from Africa like Anansi The Spider, and Uncle Remus's tales featuring Br'r Rabbit.

Children tend to respond well to cutesy talking animals...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
I grew up when we had 3 channels. Comic books were very popular and most kids my age read superhero comics from the get go. So as an adult, it's like a blast from the past to revist those memories. That's why I like em   

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
the more things change...

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »

Just like in the Roman time give masses Gladiators games & dry bread .....................

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_%28psychology%29

basically we are animals who copy other people/ life forms strategies of survival to grow our own panel of strategies of survival. A superhero is a perfect being who dominates and control, so we want to identify with him more than with a loser, who cares, wants to identify with losers who fail and die? We all subconsciously imitate, identify copy people who seem to dominate and control their lives. Powerful heroes or...gods. It s the same. Father figures, models who dominate cause we hope we will dominate just like them doing the same stuff they do or did.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

They are not much different from other make-believe things that some people need to have to be able to keep going, like Jesus, God, Mohammed, Jehova etc

There is one certain formula, make a Superhero-movie (doesn't matter the story) and you can be sure that there will be people that will see it. Some people need those things in their life, where they can dream away from dull reality for a bit.

the trainer

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
Superheroes are why i got into bodybuilding looking at these big muscle men in their tights I knew I wanted to look like that.