Author Topic: Ben Carson to tell supporters he sees no ‘path forward’ for campaign.  (Read 2316 times)

James

Ben Carson to tell supporters he sees no ‘path forward’ for campaign [will not debate]

Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon who briefly led the Republican presidential race before his campaign began an extended public implosion, will tell his supporters in a statement Wednesday afternoon that he does not see a "path forward" and will not attend Thursday's debate in Detroit, according to two Republicans familiar with his plans.

Carson, however, will not formally suspend his campaign. Instead, the Republicans said, he has decided to make a speech about his political future on Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, just outside of Washington.

But the announcement will serve as an acknowledgment that Carson's candidacy is all but over following a disappointing showing in the 11 states that held contests on Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ben-carson-to-tell-supporters-he-sees-no-path-forward-for-campaign/2016/03/02/d6bef352-d9b3-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Looking towards that possible soon-to-be vacant Florida Senate seat.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
FINALLY THANK GOD

James

It should benefit Cruz the most.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
It must be really confusing for Carson's supporters that Jesus didn't come through for them on this one

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ben Carson to tell supporters he sees no ‘path forward’ for campaign [will not debate]

Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon who briefly led the Republican presidential race before his campaign began an extended public implosion, will tell his supporters in a statement Wednesday afternoon that he does not see a "path forward" and will not attend Thursday's debate in Detroit, according to two Republicans familiar with his plans.

Carson, however, will not formally suspend his campaign. Instead, the Republicans said, he has decided to make a speech about his political future on Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, just outside of Washington.

But the announcement will serve as an acknowledgment that Carson's candidacy is all but over following a disappointing showing in the 11 states that held contests on Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ben-carson-to-tell-supporters-he-sees-no-path-forward-for-campaign/2016/03/02/d6bef352-d9b3-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html

Good decision.  He should run for the FL senate seat. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

there's a big prescription drug problem in florida.   I think carson would do well here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
there's a big prescription drug problem in florida.   I think carson would do well here.

Maybe he treats compulsive liars.  He might be able to help you. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Maybe he treats compulsive liars.  He might be able to help you. 

only a liberal would defend the constantly-stoned Carson. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
only a liberal would defend the constantly-stoned Carson. 

Only a screwball would continue to engage me, when all I do is mock him, for like ten years already.  Get a life son.  :)  lol 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
This idiot still will not suspend his campaign....what the hell.
L

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

Why? What qualifications does Ben Carson have to run for any public office? He demonstrated a weak grasp of policy, a juvenile understanding of the issues, had consistently poor performances at the debates coupled with the energy level of a comatose patient and generally came across as a stoned deer unmovingly fixated on the headlights of a speeding freight train.

He may choose to run for the Florida Senate seat, although I hope he reads the writing on the wall, and chooses to run for spot on his HOA board. If he does run for the Senate, I predict he'll get just as creamed and end up served as the early-bird special.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why? What qualifications does Ben Carson have to run for any public office? He demonstrated a weak grasp of policy, a juvenile understanding of the issues, had consistently poor performances at the debates coupled with the energy level of a comatose patient and generally came across as a stoned deer unmovingly fixated on the headlights of a speeding freight train.

He may choose to run for the Florida Senate seat, although I hope he reads the writing on the wall, and chooses to run for spot on his HOA board. If he does run for the Senate, I predict he'll get just as creamed and end up served as the early-bird special.

I watched a town hall interview the other day where he talked extensively about policy (including foreign policy) and sounded very good.  I thought his debate performances were good, even with the limited time they gave him to speak.  And his qualifications to be a senator include his incredibly successful career, intelligence, temperament, integrity, ideas, and the fact he is from outside the beltway.  He is precisely the kind of person who should be involved in public policy, as opposed to career politicians who are really detached from the people.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

LOL

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
I watched a town hall interview the other day where he talked extensively about policy (including foreign policy) and sounded very good.  I thought his debate performances were good, even with the limited time they gave him to speak.  And his qualifications to be a senator include his incredibly successful career, intelligence, temperament, integrity, ideas, and the fact he is from outside the beltway.  He is precisely the kind of person who should be involved in public policy, as opposed to career politicians who are really detached from the people.   

His career as a surgeon prepares him to hold office in what way?
Intelligence?  Does not equate into experience.
Temperament?  Rather lack of.  The man was sleep walking through his whole campaign.
Integrity?  Being a proven (and lousy) compulsive liar isn't exactly contributing to his integrity at all.
Ideas?  Tithing for taxes?  Obamacare is slavery?  Prison makes people gay?  US is like Nazi Germany?  There may not be a 2016 election?  Perhaps God can give him some good ideas to use, like he claims he did to pass his college chemistry final.

::)

Good riddance Ben.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
It must be really confusing for Carson's supporters that Jesus didn't come through for them on this one

I still hate you but I LOL'ed at this one  ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
From Ace of Spades...sums up Carson

Well, he is a decent man, and had a lot of conservative instincts. However, it became very clear very quickly that he was unwilling to use his med-school-days cramming skills to become fluent in the vocabulary and principles of conservative agitation.

Which is too bad, because he had the thing that can't be taught -- likability, gravitas, personal attractiveness.

I'm a poor student myself (bright, but a terrible student), but I still don't understand these guys who run for president without spending a month paying a few guys to brief them and tutor them.

And it would only take that long. It would take ten thousand dollars (nothing money for a presidential candidate) and a month, or six weeks. Congressional candidates have to bone up, after all, when they make the leap from local/state politics to national politics.

They're not geniuses, for God's sake. And yet they've either done some reading, or have gone through some kind of briefing boot-camp.

The only possible explanation for this failure to do basic homework, I think, is ego.

People don't learn unless they think there's something worth learning.

I always had this fear, and said so over two years ago on the podcast, that what could hold Ben Carson back was the God Complex that top surgeons have. He would look at politics and scoff at having to do any reading, figuring, "It can't be brain surgery."

That's a very tempting thing to say, when your specialty is brain surgery, and brain surgery is used in everyday idioms to mean "something fantastically difficult to master."

But just because politics is a hell of a lot less intellectually demanding than brain surgery doesn't mean it's not intellectually demanding at all.

Given that Ben Carson is the world's top practitioner of a field synonymous with "extremely high intellectual challenge," there is no doubt he had the ability to become a policy whiz.

What he lacked was the desire to do so, or the realization that he had need of doing so.

I just don't get it. I just don't get it. I don't get why anyone goes into a field completely outside their range of training and daily experience and says, egotistically, "I'll just figure all of this out on the fly."

Well, you could. You could go through the trial and error process and figuring out everything iteratively through failure and correction.

Or, you could take advantage of the miracle of Books, in which the experience and thinking of other men is available to you for the cost of a week's reading.

See, the technology of writing means that we do not have to figure out things on the fly anymore. I could figure out how to build a deck improvisationally and through my natural cleverness, or, maybe take that short-cut of reading a book about How to Build a Deck, written by people who have built decks before.

I will never get this, not until the day I die and an angel explains it to me.

I cannot say this enough: I am utterly baffled by guys like Carson and Trump (and Palin) who just say "Oh, reading is for geeks and cowards, I'll just use my personality and wit to bullshit my way through this until I get it all figured out."

This never works-- they never actually do get it all figured out.*

But anyway -- another colossal raw political talent, but alas undone by this figure-it-out-when-I-get there hubris.

* Maybe this is because they expect the learning process to take place in a sort of communal, supportive environment -- as in school.

The problem is, learning while running for office does not take place in a supportive environment. It takes place in the most mocking, hostile environment possible.

So when one makes a mistake, one is not encouraged to correct it. One is attacked mercilessly and hounded and humiliated. Making one very averse to ever venturing away from places of intellectual comfort (Drill baby drill, we'll be so tired of winning) ever again.

Update: Carson's actual position on whether he's out of the race or not is like all of his positions -- confused.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V

you're a terrible judge of character.   you think carson has a great grasp on reality, you think rubio is the perfect conservative.   You probably enjoy nasty kinds of ice cream too.  pralines and whatnot.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Yes, he may have figured that we all thought he "had it" due to the fact he's a surgeon.  But he probably didn't know what to do after that point.  

Working for a SuperPAC makes someone no better than an empty-suited actor, anyway, so not sure what's the bother.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
His career as a surgeon prepares him to hold office in what way?
Intelligence?  Does not equate into experience.
Temperament?  Rather lack of.  The man was sleep walking through his whole campaign.
Integrity?  Being a proven (and lousy) compulsive liar isn't exactly contributing to his integrity at all.
Ideas?  Tithing for taxes?  Obamacare is slavery?  Prison makes people gay?  US is like Nazi Germany?  There may not be a 2016 election?  Perhaps God can give him some good ideas to use, like he claims he did to pass his college chemistry final.

::)

Good riddance Ben.

I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. 

avxo

• Getbig V
I watched a town hall interview the other day where he talked extensively about policy (including foreign policy) and sounded very good.

In every interview I've seen, his answers have been choppy and disjointed. Now it's possible that I missed the good ones. But it's also very unlikely. A knock-it-out-the-park performance would have made news.

I thought his debate performances were good, even with the limited time they gave him to speak.

I guess we weren't watching the same debates. Yes he got limited time, but the time he did get he didn't use effectively. Whoever did his debate prep did a horrible job. The questions were hardly unexpected and Carson should have been ready to give the perfect answer - an answer that had been honed and refined and had the unnecessary whittled away until only the pure essence remained. Instead we got rambling answers... delivered... in a slow... stunted... choppy... manner... from someone... half... asleep.

And his qualifications to be a senator include his incredibly successful career, intelligence, temperament, integrity, ideas, and the fact he is from outside the beltway.  He is precisely the kind of person who should be involved in public policy, as opposed to career politicians who are really detached from the people.

I have no problem with people "outside the beltway" coming into politics because the people inside the beltway are, by and large, horrible. Now, as to the things you claim qualify him, I'll address them slightly out of order.

You say that his ideas qualify him. What ideas are those? I can't think of any, other than the principle of taxing based on the principle of tithing. Seriously. That's all I can think of, and it's a horrible idea. Name one policy idea that Carson has that's literally knock-your-socks-off great.

You say his temperament qualifies him. What temperant?  Was he supposed to project "steady, careful and deliberate"? He doesn't need to have "ferret on double cappucino" levels of energy, and it's great to see someone who's in control of their emotions, but he came across as borderline comatose.

You talk about his successful career and his intelligence. Certainly Ben Carson was successful at his chosen profession which isn't easy, but he's hardly an intellectual giant, or someone whose success is unfathomable. If all it takes to become President is to have a successful career and be moderately smart then is Ben Carson the best we can do?

As for his integrity, I have no beef with Dr. Carson on this issue. I don't know him first hand, but I have no reason to doubt his sincerity and honesty. While those are both laudable attributes, they don't serve politicians - or those who seek to become politicians - well.

In my opinion, Ben Carson was poorly qualified to even run for President, let alone become President. And, for whatever it's worth, it's an opinion that the majority of those who voted so far seem to share.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. 

It's common sense really.  Which is why I am not surprised you can't grasp it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
It's common sense really.  Which is why I am not surprised you can't grasp it.

Liberals don't have common sense. Hope this helps.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Liberals don't have common sense. Hope this helps.

Did converted liberals like Trump suddenly develop common sense after 62 years of not having it?   LOL!

avxo

• Getbig V
Liberals don't have common sense.

And non-liberals like you do?