Author Topic: Who Are the Losers if Randy Couture Re-Signs With the UFC? GOOD READ!  (Read 1026 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Zach Arnold thinks beyond Couture's image and Mark Cuban's MMA efforts, there are others who won't fare so well either:

Third, Affliction could be facing the prospects of not being able to book Couture vs. Fedor in their ring. You would have to assume that booking Couture vs. Fedor was going to be a major part of their business plan. After all, the two men shook hands at Affliction’s debut event in Anaheim.
Unless Fedor agrees to fight the winner of Arlovski vs. Barnett (10/11 Las Vegas), WAMMA has to be prepared to strip the Russian of his title belt if he goes to UFC. Dana White will not allow any mentions of WAMMA whatsoever or even have that belt shown on PPV or TV.
Out of all of the fighters in the MMA business, Randy Couture was in the best position to challenge parts of UFC’s somewhat controversial fighter contracts in regards to the clauses inserted into them. Now that Couture reportedly is back in the UFC fold, UFC will be able to breathe a big sigh of relief that none of the contractual provisions they make fighters sign (e.g. the retirement clause, the champion’s clause) will face a legal challenge any time soon.
One can scacrely think of a better summer for Zuffa than the summer of 2008. The stiffest of challenges was presented to them and slowly but surely, the UFC machine flexed its muscles to repel, kill or maim challengers. What they are accomplishing is truly amazing. They are not only the MMA promotional brand leader, they have also cemented themselves as the focal point of the sport. Those who have tried to wrestle power from Zuffa have at a minimum been halted and those who have challenged the UFC brand have failed or revealed themselves to be incapable of competing with the UFC over the long haul.

For a figure like Couture to return to the UFC - if the rumors are true - is a major victory for Zuffa. It's the return of the Prodigal Son, but rather than the father killing a calf we find undercurrents of retribution. It's a signal that the waters outside of the UFC are tepid at best and even being able to access them requires herculean efforts that neither Couture nor his legal/management team were able to accomplish. This is surely not Couture's first choice, but because of what Zuffa was able to do as a promotion and a legal team, it appears to be Couture's only choice outside of retirement from active competition.

In my mind, if the UFC announces today that Couture is returning and will fight Fedor (even with the M-1 co-promotion) if he defeats Brock Lesnar, then this is one of the most important days in Zuffa history. I would rank this close to the purchase of PRIDE as a watershed moment for the company because of what it portends for the UFC's competition and for the UFC's preeminence.

Note to the UFC's competition: your days could very well be numbered.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: Who Are the Losers if Randy Couture Re-Signs With the UFC? GOOD READ!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
UFC RULES...HA HA!!
w

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Maybe it's just business and Randy needs to honor his contracts before moving on. He could have easily lost this case in court.
Just a thought.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
Maybe it's just business and Randy needs to honor his contracts before moving on. He could have easily lost this case in court.
Just a thought.

That's exactly what it is.  The rulings weren't going Randy's way so he probably didn't have much of a choice.  I'm just not that excited about seeing him fight Lesnar. 
w

Dball

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »
Just a thought.
Should be restated as Randy would have lost his case hands down, been fined a ton of money, and the UFC would have kept it in litigation for many more months thus delaying further any possible fight with Fedor.

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »
So Randy is now in for a 3 fight deal. I think he was pretty well screwed and in breach of contract. Guess he had to find the best way out of the mess he created. he could have cleared up his last 2 fights with the UFC and been gone in the amount of time he's been sitting out. I think Randy a messed up call.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
i personally feel that dana should pay whatever it takes to get fedor into the ufc..whatever it is he would see the ppv to cover i am sure
irongearco.com

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
Fedor is currently fighting under contract for two organisationa. Dana says he won't cross promote. Thats a hell of alot of money to buy out 1 fighter, who may or maynot increase buyrates, and increase fan pull.

Dball

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
i personally feel that dana should pay whatever it takes to get fedor into the ufc..whatever it is he would see the ppv to cover i am sure

I agree, but from a business perspective Dana may be correct.  Outside of the true MMA fan, Fedor is still relatively unknown.  Remember when UFC brought Mirko over?  His first fight was on a fight night when he should have been headlining, and since most general fans of UFC only know he got KTFO'd by Gonzaga and lost a decision to Kongo after Kongo kicked him in the jewels about a dozen times, the general fan thinks he sucks, which is far from the truth.