Author Topic: who had the most potential  (Read 2217 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
who had the most potential
« on: April 16, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
pic from the 1985 worlds.
F

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: who had the most potential
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »
i think dorian said he was only training for about a year at that point

E
E

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:43:55 PM »
Dorian placed 7th there, and only claimed to be training for only two years. Mendenhall, DeMey placed 2nd, 1st, and had years more training, so an argument could be made he had the most potential there because his training age was very young. In 5 years, Dorian would be near the top bb in the world, DeMey would be heading into the middle tier, and Mendenhall would be bouncing around the nationals.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Brian had a probation officer but wasnt a criminal
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »
Dorian placed 7th there, and only claimed to be training for only two years. Mendenhall, DeMay placed 1st, 2nd, and had years more training, so an argument could be made he had the most is potential there because his training age was very young. In 5 years, Dorian would be near the top bb in the world, DeMay would be heading into the middle tier, and Mendenhall would be bouncing around the nationals. on Rachel McLish
fixed

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 03:50:03 PM »
And people say this isn't a bodybuilding forum. Those 3 guys think less about bodybuilding than we do.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
Mendenhall

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »
I think Matt Mendenhall had the most potential of anyone I've seen in bodybuilding in the 34 years I have been training. Put Dorians mind discipline and work ethic into that genetically gifted body and we have something that could have surpassed Dorian in 93 which i believe to be the best presentation of a physique in the history of the sport.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »
Both Mendenhall and Demay look godlike there.

To think that those 2 wouldn`t place in the top  16 of the moronic modern day Olympia is makes me want to vomit on the judges and the other bloated fucks on stage.

These guys look far better than any of the bloated balloon looking, big gutted, no symmetry/proportions or calves, non posing, cookie cutter,  shredded ass cheeked freaks of today.

It`s not about what you weigh, it`s about how you look............people have forgotten this adage.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »

:'(

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 03:13:30 AM »
pic from the 1985 worlds.

We're they all G4P? Endorsed by Ed Conners were they?

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 03:32:49 AM »
in terms of a structural ideal - 1, 3, 2

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 04:29:18 AM »
Structure and Mass = Mendelhall

Aesthetics, Symmetry, Definition, Leanness and Face = De Mey

Most reaction to Peds = Dorian (He blew up like a Baloown)
Q

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 05:21:48 AM »
Matt, Berry, Doz.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 05:24:10 AM »
Matt, Berry, Doz.

Which one did you like the most, Tier-wise
Q

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 05:59:25 AM »
Which one did you like the most, Tier-wise

Matt.  Berry looked good too!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 06:01:33 AM »
Matt.  Berry looked good too!

I thought you'd say Berry over Matt due to his face, but i guess you look more at the physique/bod? :D
Q

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 06:04:23 AM »
Judging from the pics, Berry is killing them in quality muscle.  However, judging from the historical point of how long each had been training and competing at the time, Matt probably had the best overall potential if everything were from the same time frame (age, years of training, etc..)

As we know, Dorian just simply would have ended up crushing them with overall mass per today's standards, but at that time, mass was not seen as everything.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »
I thought you'd say Berry over Matt due to his face, but i guess you look more at the physique/bod? :D

This is bodybuilding... so it's about body first--not face.  I have seen many bodies that make up for a less than ideal face.  In the Tier world body always comes first!  Anyway, Matt is hardly a slouch in the face department.  Handsome dude. 

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »
6 years later at the 1991 Night of Champions

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
6 years later at the 1991 WBF Championship

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 09:10:46 AM »
If I could pick one bodybuilder throughout history whose physique I would want to have it would be Mendenhall’s.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
I think Matt Mendenhall had the most potential of anyone I've seen in bodybuilding in the 34 years I have been training. Put Dorians mind discipline and work ethic into that genetically gifted body and we have something that could have surpassed Dorian in 93 which i believe to be the best presentation of a physique in the history of the sport.
Agreed.  Even Haney said Mendenhall had the most potential of anyone he ever saw.  Saying someone had great potential is essentially saying they are lazy.

Ssxa

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
Mendenhall is up there for the best structure ever, but in the comparison pics DeMey would win based on his upper body conditioning.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
Crazy genetics

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »

As we know, Dorian just simply would have ended up crushing them with overall mass per today's standards, but at that time, mass was not seen as everything.
makes me want to vomit on the judges and the other bloated fucks on stage.

It`s not about what you weigh, it`s about how you look............people have forgotten this adage.

It's not really that the judging standards have changed. It's that the physiques have changed, which then changed the judging. The judges didn't make Dorian look like he did in 93. Dorian simply came in as he did and he was judged superior and most agreed, judges, fans and competitors - everyone pretty much agreed, even if there might have been the odd complaint here and there.

It's not that in the 70s and earlier the judges watnted different looking bodies, some with big legs, small upper, and vice versa and that judges now prefer that everyone looks the same. No, it's that there were more imbalanced physiques back then. Freaky mass wasn't prioritized because no one had freaky mass! :D

So in my opinion we can't put this evolution solely on the judges, the IFBB oe whatever.

I'm confident that even many getbiggers would judge a modern pro show not that differently than it's judged today. Sure, some crazy getbiggers would have put Dorian in last place in 93 but most would have given him the win. Same with Ronnie, even if we think he really looks like shit, all things considered. We have the Ronnie vs Dorian wars, we don't have the Dorian vs Zane wars because Dorian was simply more advanced.