Author Topic: Tips for preparing steak  (Read 15139 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
Re: 10 oz Sirloin cooking suggestions... Chef Adonis, care to chime in??
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2012, 04:58:56 AM »
also krank: tuna is over cooked

hope this helps

VERY slightly....still getting the hang of it....but that was an awesome peanut thai sauce

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2012, 05:11:33 AM »
STOP THE THREAD!!! adonis has been vindicated by non other than heston blumenthal  8)

how to cook the perfect steak using a THERMOMETER  :o

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »
Ok adonis is wrong. The man can cook but hes wrong here. You never use a thermometer for cooking steak. The reason you never stab a steak because you need to keep it sealed for it to cook correctly..  Corre,t method.
Rem po ve steak from vacuum pack packaging 2 hours before cooking. When the steak is cold the fibers crisscross like a thread and hold the meat firm and tough. You cook a steak fast so if its left cold then it will not have time to relax and will stay tough. You need to let it slowly get to room temperature and you will notice the meat turn from purple to a.bright red colour as the fibres oxygenate.  Now season.  Heat a grill too 400-600 degrees.  Wait till grill is very hot then place the steak and do not move it, you should only flip once.  Steak cooking time will vary on thickness and quality of the vrill.  Leave to rest one cooked. Then place on a seperate plate.  Enjoy.  Academy, craft and master butcher trained mlc milton keynes 2001.  Thankyou.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2012, 07:19:42 AM »

These are actual pics of TA's kitchens.  How can you take him serious when he's broiling with electric?  I'm beginning to think everything he says is a fallacy.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2012, 07:28:11 AM »
Ok adonis is wrong. The man can cook but hes wrong here. You never use a thermometer for cooking steak. The reason you never stab a steak because you need to keep it sealed for it to cook correctly..  Corre,t method.
Rem po ve steak from vacuum pack packaging 2 hours before cooking. When the steak is cold the fibers crisscross like a thread and hold the meat firm and tough. You cook a steak fast so if its left cold then it will not have time to relax and will stay tough. You need to let it slowly get to room temperature and you will notice the meat turn from purple to a.bright red colour as the fibres oxygenate.  Now season.  Heat a grill too 400-600 degrees.  Wait till grill is very hot then place the steak and do not move it, you should only flip once.  Steak cooking time will vary on thickness and quality of the vrill.  Leave to rest one cooked. Then place on a seperate plate.  Enjoy.  Academy, craft and master butcher trained mlc milton keynes 2001.  Thankyou.

the actual reason for not stabbing steak is because you don't want bacteria from the outside getting in the bacteria free inside .

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »
Thre is no harmfull bacteria in beef

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2012, 07:45:54 AM »
Thre is no harmfull bacteria in beef

Not inside, but on the outside, yes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »

Not exactly anything to worry about as the moisture loss is next to minimal or none if done correctly.  Kenji, who runs the Food Lab has tested this as have many others.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Poking with a fork to turn the steak is a completely risk-free move

Poking

Watch a Johsonville Brat commercial, and you'll be told that poking with a fork is one of the cardinal sins of sausage cookery, and they're right—a sausage has an impermeable casing for a reason: to keep all of those rendered fats and juices right in there with the meat. Pierce it, create a hole, and you'll see a fountain of golden juices spring forth like out of a kid after a long car ride. A steak, on the other hand, has no such casing to protect it, so is it ok to poke or not?
I cooked two steaks of known weight side by side. The first, I carefully turned with tongs each time. The second, I used a fourchette de cuisine (that's fancy-pants for one of those two-pronged forks) completely indiscriminately, mercilessly (though not excessively) poking the steak this way and that as I flipped it. Afterward, I weighed both steaks again. The result? Exactly the same weight loss.

Poking with a fork to turn the steak is a completely risk-free move.
The thing is, with steaks, moisture loss is due to one thing: muscle fibers tightening due to the application of heat and squeezing out their liquid. Unless you actually manage to completely pierce or slash these muscle fibers, the moisture they lose is directly proportional to the temperature to which you cook your steak. A fork is simply not sharp enough to harm muscle fibers in any significant way. Yes, you'll see a minuscule amount of juices seeping their way out of the fork holes, but it's a really negligible amount. Indeed, that's why the many-bladed tenderizing tool known as a Jaccard is able to tenderize your meat without causing it to lose any excess moisture—it separates muscle fibers, but doesn't actually cut them or open them up.
What about that most-shunned of techniques, the old cut-and-peek? Surely, actually slashing a cooking steak open with a knife and looking inside is going to have a detrimental affect on it, right?

Even slicing won't release too many juices.
Well, yes and no. Yes, a knife actually severs muscle fibers, allowing them to leak their contents to the outside world. But the amount of moisture loss is really very minimal. Cut-and-peek too many times, and you run the risk of shredding your steak. In reality though, one or two peeks won't really be detectable in the end product.
But there's a bigger problem with the cut-and-peek method: It's not accurate. Because of the fact that juices get squeezed out quickly from hot meat, when you cut into the center of a still-hot steak (like one that's sitting in the pan), it'll appear to be much rarer than it really is. If you continue to cook your steak until it appears right by the cut-and-peek method, it'll be overcooked by the time you actually eat it. That thick steaks continue to rise in temperature even after being removed from the pan.
What does that mean? It means that if you haven't yet, you should go out and get yourself a good, accurate digital thermometer, duh!

Yum.
Now that is a steak worth fretting over!

Even slicing won't release too many juices.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »
if u cant cook a steak without thermometer

u should not be tryign to tell people how to cook

u should close your mouth and learn first

not post other people's pics and talk about kitchens u dont have

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
Ok adonis is wrong. The man can cook but hes wrong here. You never use a thermometer for cooking steak. The reason you never stab a steak because you need to keep it sealed for it to cook correctly..  Corre,t method.
Rem po ve steak from vacuum pack packaging 2 hours before cooking. When the steak is cold the fibers crisscross like a thread and hold the meat firm and tough. You cook a steak fast so if its left cold then it will not have time to relax and will stay tough. You need to let it slowly get to room temperature and you will notice the meat turn from purple to a.bright red colour as the fibres oxygenate.  Now season.  Heat a grill too 400-600 degrees.  Wait till grill is very hot then place the steak and do not move it, you should only flip once.  Steak cooking time will vary on thickness and quality of the vrill.  Leave to rest one cooked. Then place on a seperate plate.  Enjoy.  Academy, craft and master butcher trained mlc milton keynes 2001.  Thankyou.

Flipping once is also a HUGE HUGE MYTH.

Flip as many times as you like.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-food-labs-top-6-food-myths.html

MYTH
3. When Grilling, It's Best to Flip Just Once in the Middle

Common backyard know-how dictates that burgers and steaks should only be flipped once, half way through cooking. But has anyone ever bothered questioning why we do this? Does it actually create a noticeable improvement in the way your meat comes out?
Turns out the answer is an emphatic no! Flipping your meat multiple times produces meat that's noticeably more evenly cooked (there's about 40% less overcooked meat in a burger flipped every 15 seconds vs. one flipped once), browns just as well (just don't expect distinct hash marks), and to top it all off, ends up cooking in about 2/3rds of the time. Faster and better? You betcha!
Moral of the story: if you see your buddy doing that multiple flip thing, don't get on their case. They're doing good.

Also Here:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/the-burger-lab-how-many-times-should-you-flip-a-burger-while-cooking.html

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »
And just for good measure,

SEARING DOES NOT LOCK IN THE JUICES!!!!!!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »
And just for good measure,

SEARING DOES NOT LOCK IN THE JUICES!!!!!!

Actually, I just read a tip from a chef that says letting a steak come to room temp before cooking and then just prior to cooking you put in freezer for 5 mins supposedly will keep it most juicy.

I also agree about the flipping...the school of thought is constant flipping will keep the 'juices' evenly distributed.....

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
Those are the rules. Its your choice.if you stick to them, but I cook one hell of a steak

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
some things about steaks i wil clear up, notice i dont copy and paste shit from howtobbq websites either, this is from experience

searing does not lock in anything, to sear is to carmelize the surface to give it a good flavor, thsi should be done minimally, as most of the adice in thsi thread will lead to a quarter inch of gray overcooked meat. u want as much pink tender meat as possible, so sear on medim heat and only just enough to sear, and butter is best for carmelizing, so use butter

resting a steak has less to do with juices, then the steak continuing to cook. if u cook as steak to rare, and cut into it immediately, it will actually be slightly blue, not quite cooked

if u want steak to be AS JUICY AS POSSIBLE, these are the steps

cover steak in kosher salt for a few hours

take out steak, clean off all salt

bring to room temperature, this way the steak cooks for as little time as possible

pan sear minimally, medium heat and with butter for 1 minute one ach side max

into the oven it goes at 450, 3-4 minutes if its 1 inch thick

let rest covered for 10 minutes, continues to cook here, juices will come out here not stay in, u can add this juice to a gravy or something

u will have as juicy steak as possible this way

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
some things about steaks i wil clear up, notice i dont copy and paste shit from howtobbq websites either, this is from experience

searing does not lock in anything, to sear is to carmelize the surface to give it a good flavor, thsi should be done minimally, as most of the adice in thsi thread will lead to a quarter inch of gray overcooked meat. u want as much pink tender meat as possible, so sear on medim heat and only just enough to sear, and butter is best for carmelizing, so use butter

resting a steak has less to do with juices, then the steak continuing to cook. if u cook as steak to rare, and cut into it immediately, it will actually be slightly blue, not quite cooked

if u want steak to be AS JUICY AS POSSIBLE, these are the steps

cover steak in kosher salt for a few hours

take out steak, clean off all salt

bring to room temperature, this way the steak cooks for as little time as possible

pan sear minimally, medium heat and with butter for 1 minute one ach side max

into the oven it goes at 450, 3-4 minutes if its 1 inch thick

let rest covered for 10 minutes, continues to cook here, juices will come out here not stay in, u can add this juice to a gravy or something

u will have as juicy steak as possible this way

nothing wrong with this. just as there's nothing wrong with adonis' method. or any fucker else that posted in this thread.

lol, pages of bickering over cooking steaks  ::)

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
ur the one who posted a picture book worth of steak advice

steak filt

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
ur the one who posted a picture book worth of steak advice

steak filt

yes i did  :) a nice, simple easy to follow recipe for the op. that's all he asked for. not you two pseudo fucking experts and your 'only way is my way' bullshit  ::)

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
actually your recipe sucked

and i didnt say my way or the highway, i just put what is the best way, and i know the best way from doing it a thousand times not reading about it

hope this helps

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
actually your recipe sucked

and i didnt say my way or the highway, i just put what is the best way, and i know the best way from doing it a thousand times not reading about it

hope this helps

anyhow.... you've been pretty much owned and made adonis' bitch in this thread. we'll say no more .  :-[

you stick with your boot leather, oven baked steaks *chuckle*  ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
lol, pages of bickering over cooking steaks  ::)
;D

HugeAl

• Getbig III
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2012, 10:55:39 AM »
Adam effortlessly destroying all comers. When will you people ever learn? TA is the acme of Getbig.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
Adam effortlessly destroying all comers. When will you people ever learn? TA is the acme of Getbig.
I tried to warn them.  :(

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
THANKS, ya'll! I've never giving the thought of cooking a steak any consideration other than tossing it on the BBQ for a few minutes on each side, but thanks to you all I now know why the butcher gets pissed off when I complain each and every week.

I always accuse him of selling us bad steaks.

Haven't had a chance to read all this cooking input, but I do plan to do so and give each method a full fledged try and possibly apologize to the butcher.

Here in LV a good T-Bone will cost anywhere from $4.99 to $12.00 a pound and much much higher at Whole Foods where I think I saw steaks at $27.00 a pound.

What's the price of T-Bones in your area?

HugeAl

• Getbig III
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
I tried to warn them.  :(

They should have; he made mincemeat (steak mince?) of them.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
if u buy steak at low price, key is to marinate, or like i mentioed the salting method

cover it in kosher salt for a couple of hours, but before u cook it remove all salt from surface

pepper

this way will make it more tender and juicy