Author Topic: Knee Pain - Squats and Whatnot...  (Read 2505 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Knee Pain - Squats and Whatnot...
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:19 AM »
I dont go nearly as heavy as I used to and notice no real difference whatsoever in size and conditioning, etc.

Through my back out a few times and dont want an injury. 

At a certain point - the risk reward factor tips against any benefits from going ridiculous heavy. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
It wasn't a blanket statement and you know it. But let's face it. The business plan is genius, the program not very well thought out. It's getting better though because so many real coaches and trainers have been calling them out.

The comment you made was more in jest than in malice I recognized that, that was my intention.  Understand that it wasn't just "real" coaches.  It was the trainees seeking out more informed people.  The bad will get weeded out (for the most part).  There are shitty S&C coaches...and to think there isn't is just being naive.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:54 AM »
I'm having knee pain and I never have before.  I'm doing lots of squats recently, and I'm also spending a lot of time jumping on my baby mamas trampoline.

???

Woke up this morning and it hurt whenever I put my knees all the way straight.  I had to walk without straightening my legs all the way out like a fucking velociraptor all day.

my knee's hurt when i don't squat on a regular basis. record your squats from the side so we can see your technique.
sept 10th APF

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
my knee's hurt when i don't squat on a regular basis. record your squats from the side so we The Coach can see your technique.

FIFY.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:51 AM »
The comment you made was more in jest than in malice I recognized that, that was my intention.  Understand that it wasn't just "real" coaches.  It was the trainees seeking out more informed people.  The bad will get weeded out (for the most part).  There are shitty S&C coaches...and to think there isn't is just being naive.

Yes..and those are also the one's that get fired asap. Pretty hard to find a bad S&C coach at the D1-3 college or pro level. BTW, if our baseball team wins this Friday night, this will be my fourth CIF win in three different sports from teams I was a strength coach on at the high school D1 level.

*Shameless plug*  :D

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Yes..and those are also the one's that get fired asap. Pretty hard to find a bad S&C coach at the D1-3 college or pro level. BTW, if our baseball team wins this Friday night, this will be my fourth CIF win in three different sports from teams I was a strength coach on at the high school D1 level.

*Shameless plug*  :D

Pretty hard?  I wouldn't go that far.  Oh, and congrats...I think they are doing better thanks to you incorporating more met-con days  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
High rep squatting or almost high rep anything is eventually a overuse problem. Drop the volume, squat parallel or below, train the complete posterior chain and you save your knees. Deload every 4th week.

Good advice. I always try to squat fairly deep. Keep doing a limit range of motion and you lose flexibility. You actually set yourself up for an injury. You're increasing the strength in the strongest range of motion and neglecting the weakest range.  Controlled deep squats have kept my knees healthy. High reps can contribute to over use injuries. Leg extensions is something you shouldn't do if you have knee pain.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
One of the best things I have ever done for my knees was when I switched to box squats 6-7 years ago.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:31 PM »
One of the best things I have ever done for my knees was when I switched to box squats 6-7 years ago.

Want to hear something weird?  When I do box squats for the next two days my knees are trashed. 

On a side note Joe...do you have some good info on improving the front rack position for C&J's?  There are some good videos from Starrett, but I just don't know what the problem is for me.

1) I can front squat with arms stright out in front of me (bar resting on the shoulders) my back is upright, I drop the ass down to meet the calves.  Everything feels good.

2) When I attempt to get the arms back in the receiving position, I end up with the immense wrist pain (from the extreme extension) and I don't even get my humerus close to parallel to the ground.  Really getting on my nerves.  I am wondering if my elbows and shoulders are the limiting factor here.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 09:41:59 AM »
Want to hear something weird?  When I do box squats for the next two days my knees are trashed. 

On a side note Joe...do you have some good info on improving the front rack position for C&J's?  There are some good videos from Starrett, but I just don't know what the problem is for me.

On the C&J you don't have to go into a full rack catch, on that particular lift, it's ok to drop the elbows a little. Going into a full rack with the bar resting on your finger tips makes it difficult to transition and drop below the bar. Remember, your not pressing, your dropping.

1) I can front squat with arms stright out in front of me (bar resting on the shoulders) my back is upright, I drop the ass down to meet the calves.  Everything feels good.

2) When I attempt to get the arms back in the receiving position, I end up with the immense wrist pain (from the extreme extension) and I don't even get my humerus close to parallel to the ground.  Really getting on my nerves.  I am wondering if my elbows and shoulders are the limiting factor here.

See my above answer. As far as the wrists being uncomfortable, we do a wrist stretch by getting down on all fours and turning the wrists (hands) backwards on the floor and leaning back. It helps to condition the wrists. Also, just have to get used to it but just use the bar only for now.   

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
High rep squatting or almost high rep anything is eventually a overuse problem. Drop the volume, squat parallel or below, train the complete posterior chain and you save your knees. Deload every 4th week.

Thank you sir, sorry I missed this comment originally!

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/18_tips_for_bulletproof_knees

Bulletproof Knees (the book) is an excellent resource.  I picked it up a few years ago; lots of great info.  Mike Robertson has a pretty good email newsletter, and he often posts sales on his publications. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 04:36:58 AM »
I was reading some things on patello-femoral syndrome yesterday.  After doing some tests I suspected a medially tracking patella, so I took some kinesiotape and brought it a little more lateral.  Went to the gym and worked on some overhead squats.  Amazing, the knee pain never showed up.  Did some regular squats after that with sets of 10 and there was some knee pain, but no where near what there was before.

Couple of things also to look at for your squatting:

1) Where are your elbows when you squat?
2) How good is your thoracic spine when it comes to mobility?
3) Do you rock forward on your toes (slightly) on the ascent or do you feel yourself 'pushing' with your whole foot?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
If you do "parallel squats" that could explain everything. Go ass to grass.
Drop the weight but do not up the reps, just add more sets if needed.
Go to physiotherapist.
Stretch your quads and hams.