Author Topic: "The man who doesn’t reach decisions promptly when he has all necessary facts...  (Read 1646 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
... in hand cannot be depended on to carry out decisions after he makes them."

Agree or disagree?

Dan-O

• Getbig V
That's a quote from Napoleon Hill.   The fact that a man takes a while to think through a decision doesn't necessarily mean that he will not then follow through with his carefully thought-out decision.  To me Hill's assertion is something of a non sequitur.  I would have to say, I disagree.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Close. It's actually a quote from Andrew Carnegie that Napoleon Hill relayed in one of his books. Carnegie offered Hill access for one of his books and it took Hill half a minute to accept the offer. Carnegie said he would have rescinded the offer had Hill taken more than 60 seconds to accept and offered up the titular quote.

On one hand, my initial reaction is "No. Thoughtfulness is a virtue".

On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for decisiveness when it comes to getting shit done. It brings to mind another quote that I didn't quite understand until I was well into my 30s: "If you want to get something done, ask a busy person."

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
Close. It's actually a quote from Andrew Carnegie that Napoleon Hill relayed in one of his books. Carnegie offered Hill access for one of his books and it took Hill half a minute to accept the offer. Carnegie said he would have rescinded the offer had Hill taken more than 60 seconds to accept and offered up the titular quote.

On one hand, my initial reaction is "No. Thoughtfulness is a virtue".

On the other hand, there is a lot to be said for decisiveness when it comes to getting shit done. It brings to mind another quote that I didn't quite understand until I was well into my 30s: "If you want to get something done, ask a busy person."

i used to be into what napolean hill wrote until a few months ago when i read a pretty wildback story. apparently he never actually interviewed carnegie and alot of what he had proof of always ended up flooded, burned etc, kinda like a past day jason blaha

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-untold-story-of-napoleon-hill-the-greatest-self-he-1789385645

"

Dan-O

• Getbig V
Now that I can agree with.  We all have the same number of hours in a day.  Why are busy people busy?  Because they're getting shit done.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
i used to be into what napolean hill wrote until a few months ago when i read a pretty wildback story. apparently he never actually interviewed carnegie and alot of what he had proof of always ended up flooded, burned etc, kinda like a past day jason blaha

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-untold-story-of-napoleon-hill-the-greatest-self-he-1789385645

LOL  I've never heard this. Obviously, I just recently finished "Think and Grow Rich" and at least once per chapter I would think "This is bullshit. He's definitely taking a lot of creative license." (I was especially skeptical of his story about willing his deaf son to hear.) However, I enjoy business-oriented self-help books and had been meaning to check that one out for a while because it's known as the godfather of the genre. Coincidentally, I usually read up on the backgrounds of the authors of books I'm reading, but decided not to for this dude.

Honestly, thanks for the post . Very Interesting. But I am able to overlook a lot when it comes to these types of books because I pick and choose what will be relevant to me.  This wasn't my favorite of these books because I'm not really on board with the "secret" he's exposing, but anything I read all the way through has enough bits that I consider worthwhile. I ended up printing out this poem that was quoted in the book. I had never read it before.

My Wage

“I bargained with Life for a penny,
And Life would pay no more,
However I begged at evening
When I counted my scanty store.

For Life is a just employer,
He gives you what you ask,
But once you have set the wages,
Why, you must bear the task.

I worked for a menial’s hire,
Only to learn, dismayed,
That any wage I had asked of Life,
Life would have willingly paid.”

-Jessie B. Rittenhouse

Dan-O

• Getbig V
That poem isn't "The Secret."  It's just common sense--you will get (and work for) pretty much what you expect out of life.  The Secret and the Law of Attraction are just New Age bullshit.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
That poem isn't "The Secret."  It's just common sense--you will get (and work for) pretty much what you expect out of life.  The Secret and the Law of Attraction are just New Age bullshit.

No, the poem isn't presented as the "secret" of the book. It's just quoted in the book. I like motivational/inspirational quotes and usually print something new out every week or two if I think it says something interesting about approaching a goal. This poem resonated with me because it reinforced  a point from another book I read not too long ago in pithier way. That book was called "The Aladdin Factor" (and it was actually an audiobook) and the section of that book that stuck with me the most was how one of the biggest things holding people back in business is that they simply don't ask for what they want or what they think they deserve.

"Think and Grow Rich" is structured so that the reader is supposed to infer what the secrets to success are based on the anecdotes Hill recounts.

I don't agree with you that it's just common sense that if you expect something out of life you will get it. If that's how it's working out for you, great, but for others it is more complicated.  

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing

Agree or disagree?
The man who is easily convinced he has all the facts will be working hard towards the wrong solution.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
That poem isn't "The Secret."  It's just common sense--you will get (and work for) pretty much what you expect out of life.  The Secret and the Law of Attraction are just New Age bullshit.
Most people feel they deserve to be rich, but very few become rich. It is the complete opposite: People who struggle to reach something they think is unachievable are the ones who excel. Insecurity and doubt are wonderful motivators.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Now that I can agree with.  We all have the same number of hours in a day.  Why are busy people busy?  Because they're getting shit done.
I know a few too many millionaires who hardly do anything to believe this. Simply working more is not a virtue, and will get you nowhere.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V

Agree or disagree?
u still eat meat despite facts old face
A

Dan-O

• Getbig V
I know a few too many millionaires who hardly do anything to believe this. Simply working more is not a virtue, and will get you nowhere.

I didn't equate busy-ness with wealth.  I just said busy people get shit done.  You don't have to be a millionaire to get shit done--oftentimes it's a thankless task.