Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 1130 times)

brock125

• Getbig II
Need some advice
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:20:41 AM »
Here is my problem I work nights so I can only make it to the gym once a day.  I powerlift , but as I continue to grow so does my waist. I eat clean and have carbs with every meal up to its time for bed. The carbs I eat are mostly brown rice with my meats. I want to start doing some cardio but don't want to interfere with any gains from lifting. So here I am confused I don't know what kind of cardio to do and if it should be before or after lifting?  I thought about replacing the carbs with veggies or fruit with my late meals,the meals  after my pwo meal and shake. How about that? Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

atr911

• Getbig II
  • This is why we GetBig
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:22:21 AM »
Cardio only after lifting.  Your goal should be for about 30-60 mins at a hear rate of 65% of maximum.  Max is usually determined by your age.  For example, at 25, my 65% is about 128bpm.  The reason you do this is to target the type of fuel your body burns to create energy.  At these low rates you won't be looking for glycogen to burn, you'll be looking for fat.  You should be using up all your glycogen stores to lift and that is another reason you want to lift first, keep your energy for priority 1... get stronger.

Depending on your metabolism, you shouldn't be eating carbs 4-6 hour before bed.  Also, make sure you eat all day, atleast every 3 hours.  You'll find that this will help out!

P.S. Veggies are great fillers!  High in fiber and very little to no impact on carb count.
Git 'er dun!

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »
Ok so I am thinking low impact walking on a treadmill 3-4 times per week after lifting, then taking my cell tech and 20 mins later my whey and cytocarb is ok right? I usually eat steak or chicken with rice two hours after that but I think the creatine and pwo shake are enough to restore my glycogen levels and so instead of meat and rice I will eat my meats with steamed broccoli every 2 to 3 hours until bed. Does this look ok? I appreciate you taking the time to help out. Thanks.

Wolverine

• Getbig III
  • The Rabid Wolverine
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
the eliptical would be good for your cardio as well
mrechef

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »
Personally I , and many many others, do cardio 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you want to loose bf then just do a simple very low carb-high protein-moderate (healthy) fat diet. Im currently doing this too. But if you cant do this, try something else, everyones different.
No doubt about it...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 01:23:46 AM »
Here is my problem I work nights so I can only make it to the gym once a day.  I powerlift , but as I continue to grow so does my waist. I eat clean and have carbs with every meal up to its time for bed. The carbs I eat are mostly brown rice with my meats. I want to start doing some cardio but don't want to interfere with any gains from lifting. So here I am confused I don't know what kind of cardio to do and if it should be before or after lifting?  I thought about replacing the carbs with veggies or fruit with my late meals,the meals  after my pwo meal and shake. How about that? Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

Keep eating clean, but add more veggies to your meals. This will keep you full,  on a slightly lower caloric daily total.

Also, try adding those 2 cardio sessions a week I suggested in the cardio thread.

Try that for a couple of weeks, then get back to us.

Don't add anymore fruits though. They hold calories.
As empty as paradise

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 02:50:23 PM »
Thank you for the advice.