Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 634916 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
The cemetery and cross story must be one of the most outrageous yet.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
So, if anyone (besides me) wondered: Paper money was 1950s and coins were, first, around the build up to the Civil War - before disappearing for a while.  Eisenhower days caused it to be law, that it'd appear on all US currency.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
To be fair, this didn't appear until much later. (1950s? or so I think)

He was being sarcastic. Communism was the boogieman back in the 1950's and adding Under God to the pledge and In God we Trust to the money was our governments way of fending off the boogie man.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #478 on: August 03, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
He was being sarcastic.

I got it now.  Just call me Mr. Slow  :D :D

Communism was the boogieman back in the 1950's and adding Under God to the pledge and In God we Trust to the money was our governments way of fending off the boogie man.

Hadn't made that connection, before.  But what you say makes sense, 007.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #479 on: August 03, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
I try and deal with people at their level. I could give an efforted answer and you would simply spew garbage about the Constitution supports mixing religion and Government which a 1st year college student should know is not true. You'd also throw out an irrelevant opinion that the majority agree with your wrong opinion. So I ask you, whats the point?

I got you wired now.  You're a partisan troll.  You try and pretend like you're objective and want to have serious discussions, but you really don't.  Your last exchange with me proves that.  I been around here a long time.  I know your kind.  Very transparent.  

My approach in the 12 years I've posting is to have serious discussions with sincere people and give trolls the attention they deserve.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #480 on: August 03, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
I got you wired now.  You're a partisan troll.  You try and pretend like you're objective and want to have serious discussions, but you really don't.  Your last exchange with me proves that.  I been around here a long time.  I know your kind.  Very transparent.  

My approach in the 12 years I've posting is to have serious discussions with sincere people and give trolls the attention they deserve.  

You should go back and read some of your responses to me over the last 6 months and see if it fits your image in your head of how you are...  ;)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
Oh look, another christian priest molesting children...

Pennsylvania priest pleads guilty to sexually molesting 4th-grade boy

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/07/greensburg_priest_charged_with.html

But wait, there's more... More than 300 in fact...

'Bigger than Boston': What the Pa. clergy sex abuse report could mean

The grand jury report investigating sexual abuse across six Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania names more than 300 "predator priests," according to a court order issued Friday.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/07/more_than_300_predator_priests.html

And it seems the church tried to prevent the release of the report.

A huge clergy abuse probe is about to go public. Could Pa.'s attorney general be on the verge of slaying Goliath?

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/maria-panaritis/pennsylvania-grand-jury-report-clergy-abuse-catholic-church-attorney-general-josh-shapiro-maria-panaritis-20180801.html

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
Oh look, another christian priest molesting children...

Pennsylvania priest pleads guilty to sexually molesting 4th-grade boy

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/07/greensburg_priest_charged_with.html

But wait, there's more... More than 300 in fact...

'Bigger than Boston': What the Pa. clergy sex abuse report could mean

The grand jury report investigating sexual abuse across six Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania names more than 300 "predator priests," according to a court order issued Friday.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/07/more_than_300_predator_priests.html

And it seems the church tried to prevent the release of the report.

A huge clergy abuse probe is about to go public. Could Pa.'s attorney general be on the verge of slaying Goliath?

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/maria-panaritis/pennsylvania-grand-jury-report-clergy-abuse-catholic-church-attorney-general-josh-shapiro-maria-panaritis-20180801.html

You were wise to use lower case when calling these pedos "christian".  No follower of the Nazarene would ever be a pedophile.  Followers of the Profit HoMohammed on the other hand (the LEFT shit wiping hand) happily embrace the buggering of youths.   

Fuck islime.  And lest you are unaware, I am an Atheist.  Not an assholist as so many here are.  They (assholists) mock the goodness of the Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth but quiver at islime's feet.  Fucking pussies.

There is a vast difference between the Prince of Peace and the pedo of persia.  The former was a great man and the latter a fucking pedo idiot scumbag.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2018, 08:59:11 PM »
You were wise to use lower case when calling these pedos "christian".  No follower of the Nazarene would ever be a pedophile.  Followers of the Profit HoMohammed on the other hand (the LEFT shit wiping hand) happily embrace the buggering of youths.   

Fuck islime.  And lest you are unaware, I am an Atheist.  Not an assholist as so many here are.  They (assholists) mock the goodness of the Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth but quiver at islime's feet.  Fucking pussies.

There is a vast difference between the Prince of Peace and the pedo of persia.  The former was a great man and the latter a fucking pedo idiot scumbag.
News flash. Been years of followers of your Nazarene molesting children   

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #485 on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
You were wise to use lower case when calling these pedos "christian".  No follower of the Nazarene would ever be a pedophile. 

No true Scotsman.. (pardon the pun)

And lest you are unaware, I am an Atheist.  Not an assholist as so many here are.  They (assholists) mock the goodness of the Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth but quiver at islime's feet.  Fucking pussies.

There is a vast difference between the Prince of Peace and the pedo of persia.  The former was a great man and the latter a fucking pedo idiot scumb

From your writings I thought you are a believer/follower/fan of Jesus of Nazareth.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #486 on: August 03, 2018, 09:39:10 PM »

From your writings I thought you are a believer/follower/fan of Jesus of Nazareth.

He is a closet follower

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #487 on: August 04, 2018, 08:40:35 AM »
He is a closet follower

I respect that which deserves respect and belittle that which is void of truth and morality.   Pussies can't deal with someone that knows hoMohammed was a cuntlette and do their best to kowtow to islime all while spitting upon the teachings of the Nazarene.  I am just as hard on false ministers as I am on shitheaps such as hoMohammed. 

As I've said in the past, you and I will rarely agree upon anything.  There is a genuine separation of Church and State and I have no problem with that.  Never did and never will.  We need only look at islime to know that to make a "religion" into a "national religion" is not only wrong, but dangerous.  In the case of islime it is wrong because both the belief and its followers are disgusting.  When man and religion are linked in immorality nothing good will ever come of it.

In the case of the Faith of Jesus of Nazareth it is solely the domain of men that perverts the Word and not the Word itself.  John was want to say that men may strive for immortality but all too often settle for immorality.  When he believed in the Nazarene he said that the letter "T" was like the cross of Jesus.  To simply add the cross ("T") the word "immorality" was to rewrite one's life for the better.

This is probably over your head but only because you have dug so far beneath the moral limbo bar.  If not, learn from it. You seem to delight in your ignorance and so for the greater part, I leave you to it.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #488 on: August 04, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »

I may have lost my faith but not my moral compass.  To follow the Christ you cannot be a pedophile.  Those that claim otherwise are full of shit and are more profit that prophet, if you will. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #489 on: August 04, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »
News flash. Been years of followers of your Nazarene molesting children   

You really are ignorant, aren't you?  Typist.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #490 on: August 04, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
You really are ignorant, aren't you?  Typist.

just aware, the No True Scotsman reference by Skeletor was accurate

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #491 on: August 04, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »
just aware, the No True Scotsman reference by Skeletor was accurate

He has an opinion and is entitled to it.  I don't mind at all.

Regarding the vapid response that some post here in a simplistic attempt at belittlement of others, words without content are just that. Words.  They might as well be pictograms on rocky cliffs in Arizona or New Mexico, i.e., open to interpretation of their true meaning.  Pffffft!  As with many such renderings of primitive art, they are either compelling or confusing with the latter being pushed aside in favor of whomsoever is doing the "interpretation" of said "art".  Getbig exempli gratia?

"Meltdown" is a favorite of the mentally and morally bankrupt here and elsewhere.  More likely just the reality of recognizing personal ignorance rather than the possession of an extra 21st chromosome.  I say this because the truly Genovan among us here are rare.

I cannot blame you for being upset and upstaged by someone such as myself, i.e. of barely average intellligence.  I don't have to agree with someone on every point of view to know they are at heart, good.  I have previously agreed with you and others here on some subjects and have no doubts that I will continue to do so because I choose to out of honesty.

I do find it difficult to believe that you are a retired LEO, but then I suspect you have your doubts that I even exist.

Later.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #492 on: August 04, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »

He has an opinion and is entitled to it.  I don't mind at all.

Regarding the vapid response that some post here in a simplistic attempt at belittlement of others, words without content are just that. Words.  They might as well be pictograms on rocky cliffs in Arizona or New Mexico, i.e., open to interpretation of their true meaning.  Pffffft!  As with many such renderings of primitive art, they are either compelling or confusing with the latter being pushed aside in favor of whomsoever is doing the "interpretation" of said "art".  Getbig exempli gratia?

"Meltdown" is a favorite of the mentally and morally bankrupt here and elsewhere.  More likely just the reality of recognizing personal ignorance rather than the possession of an extra 21st chromosome.  I say this because the truly Genovan among us here are rare.

I cannot blame you for being upset and upstaged by someone such as myself, i.e. of barely average intellligence.  I don't have to agree with someone on every point of view to know they are at heart, good.  I have previously agreed with you and others here on some subjects and have no doubts that I will continue to do so because I choose to out of honesty.

I do find it difficult to believe that you are a retired LEO, but then I suspect you have your doubts that I even exist.

Later.

You sound a lot like an intelligent Trump when you claim you upstaged me about something. That is certainly possible, but I don't believe it happened on this page. You hate all muslims and love Jesus. Cool.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
You should go back and read some of your responses to me over the last 6 months and see if it fits your image in your head of how you are...  ;)

I don't need to read what I've already posted.  I'm talking about what you post. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
I don't need to read what I've already posted.  I'm talking about what you post. 

Some people simply hate the Nazarene because of not only what he taught, but what he represents.  If his word is true, we are judged by it.  If not, as I now think, his words should not matter on a personal level.  By personal I mean there should be no fear of judgment.  However any adult with even a semblance of intelligence should recognize the wisdom in what Jesus said.

Again, there should  be no fear of either judgment or condemnation.  But no...Some people are such fucking pussies that they cannot handle themselves and so they seek solace in their pathetic attempts to belittle the Nazarene and his followers.  I have no problem belittling scum like the fucktard known as Joel Osteen.  He is not of the Christ and deserves to be outed as such.  A name it and claim it cucktard.

These cucks will never accept that Jesus existed and was a man worthy of respect and all because his teachings sometimes convict them of their lives.  Fuck those assholes all the way to Hades.  If they're without confidence in their atheism, they don't deserve pity nor instruction in how to behave as an adult. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »
The Scott, you mentioned you are an atheist but I noticed you write about Jesus (and islam/islime) often and you seem to extol the Christian lifestyle and values. If I may ask, how do you view Jesus? The god of the bible? The son of the god of the bible? A Jewish rabbi? A common man of his time? A man with divine powers? 

In regards to a child abuser not being a Christian, I am sure some muslims could say the same and even discover verses from their "holy book" in an attempt to justify it. In fact we often hear how "islam is the religion of peace", how islam is "tolerant" and allows others to believe what they want while devout mohammedans kill innocent people while shouting "god is the greatest".

Meanwhile, here is an interesting case that also has some relevance to the Police topic. In a state heavily influenced by religion like Utah, a private University owned by the Mormon church has its own police department. That means law enforcement officers with full police powers, not private security guards. The University's lawyers effectively claimed that since its police force was created and funded by a private University (!), it doesn't have to comply to all the the laws (in this case, open records such as the Government Records Access and Management Act) that apply to other police departments.
Thankfully, the judge was quick to shut them down:

"the court concludes that when BYUPD is acting as a law enforcement agency and/or its officers are acting as law enforcement officers, it is a governmental entity subject to GRAMA"

‘Good day for Utah’ — BYU police should be subject to open-records laws, judge rules, in dispute about sexual assault investigations

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/13/byu-police-should-be/

For context, here is an excerpt from another article:

The case stems from a public records request submitted by a Tribune reporter in 2016 amid allegations that BYU had disciplined students who report sex crimes if they were violating the school’s Honor Code at the time of the assault. The code bans alcohol, coffee and premarital sex, and it regulates students’ appearance and interactions with the opposite sex.

BYU police released some records, but refused to release records of communication between the department and the Mormon school’s Honor Code and Title IX offices.

The university police have said they do not conduct investigations for the Honor Code Office. However, The Tribune has obtained internal BYU documents that show a BYU police lieutenant used his access to Provo police records, via a countywide law enforcement database, for an Honor Code investigation into the conduct of a student who had reported a sexual assault to Provo police.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #496 on: August 07, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
The Scott, you mentioned you are an atheist but I noticed you write about Jesus (and islam/islime) often and you seem to extol the Christian lifestyle and values. If I may ask, how do you view Jesus? The god of the bible? The son of the god of the bible? A Jewish rabbi? A common man of his time? A man with divine powers? 

In regards to a child abuser not being a Christian, I am sure some muslims could say the same and even discover verses from their "holy book" in an attempt to justify it. In fact we often hear how "islam is the religion of peace", how islam is "tolerant" and allows others to believe what they want while devout mohammedans kill innocent people while shouting "god is the greatest"….

My faith was with me for nearly six decades and then I decided I needed proof.  It is my decision.  I admit I was influenced by a friend's loss of his faith but still, it was my decision.   I view the Nazarene as a great man.  A holy man, if you will.  A man of conscience.  A superb teacher and more.     There are signs that he was more, for example,  the Apostle Peter died for his faith in the Christ.  No lying sack of shit smellivangelist of today (e.g., Joel Osteen) would die for faith in the Christ.  And yet Peter was crucified for his faith in Jesus of Nazareth.   It is said that Peter asked to be crucified upside down as he thought himself unworthy to die as did his Lord.

It is fact he was crucified for his faith.  It is legend that he was crucified upside down.  Regardless of the latter, Peter's faith was so great he was willing to die for it.  Who would do such a thing for a lie? 

"Greater than this, shall you do in my name".   I have not seen anything done in the name of the Nazarene that equals the miracles associated with him.  If it is wrong to desire proof, then Thomas (aka, "doubting Thomas") was wrong.  And yet he asked and received proof. I have asked and not gotten anything.  To paraphrase - "What father among you, who when asked by his children for bread, gives them a stone?"

To that I would add, "ignores his children".  We have a mind capable of questioning a great many things, not the least of which is how did we all get here.  God used to do all manner of miracluous things in the old testament.  Even in the new testament, there were healings and the like but after the end of the lives of the Apostles, there's been pretty much nothing miraculous going on.  I have heard people who say that miracles are hidden from us by the "media" or by the elusive people known only as "them".  I say BS.  You could not hide the restoration of sight to a blind person.  You could not hide the restoration of life to a dead person.  Where is the proof?  Indeed.  Where?

I am disgusted by atheists undeserving of the name who belittle only those that believe in the Nazarene.  I have yet to hear one make fun of islime or Buddists or Wiccans or anything else not associated (rightly or otherwise) with Christianity.  So I say fuck those atheists.  And they don't like that at all.  Because the Nazarene's message convicts them of their sins, if you will. They can't handle being told they are sinners and so they get their manties in a wad.  Again, fuck them.

Any other questions, please ask and if I can, I will try my best to give a worthy reply.  And the profit hoMohammed was a fucking pedophile, ergo his followers have no problem with it.  The Nazarene was more than that asshole hoMohammed. 

"But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #497 on: August 07, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »
My faith was with me for nearly six decades and then I decided I needed proof.  It is my decision.  I admit I was influenced by a friend's loss of his faith but still, it was my decision.   I view the Nazarene as a great man.  A holy man, if you will.  A man of conscience.  A superb teacher and more.     There are signs that he was more, for example,  the Apostle Peter died for his faith in the Christ. No lying sack of shit smellivangelist of today (e.g., Joel Osteen) would die for faith in the Christ.  And yet Peter was crucified for his faith in Jesus of Nazareth.   It is said that Peter asked to be crucified upside down as he thought himself unworthy to die as did his Lord.

It is fact he was crucified for his faith.  It is legend that he was crucified upside down.  Regardless of the latter, Peter's faith was so great he was willing to die for it.  Who would do such a thing for a lie?  

"Greater than this, shall you do in my name".   I have not seen anything done in the name of the Nazarene that equals the miracles associated with him.  If it is wrong to desire proof, then Thomas (aka, "doubting Thomas") was wrong.  And yet he asked and received proof. I have asked and not gotten anything.  To paraphrase - "What father among you, who when asked by his children for bread, gives them a stone?"

To that I would add, "ignores his children".  We have a mind capable of questioning a great many things, not the least of which is how did we all get here.  God used to do all manner of miracluous things in the old testament.  Even in the new testament, there were healings and the like but after the end of the lives of the Apostles, there's been pretty much nothing miraculous going on.  I have heard people who say that miracles are hidden from us by the "media" or by the elusive people known only as "them".  I say BS.  You could not hide the restoration of sight to a blind person.  You could not hide the restoration of life to a dead person.  Where is the proof?  Indeed.  Where?

I am disgusted by atheists undeserving of the name who belittle only those that believe in the Nazarene.  I have yet to hear one make fun of islime or Buddists or Wiccans or anything else not associated (rightly or otherwise) with Christianity.  So I say fuck those atheists.  And they don't like that at all.  Because the Nazarene's message convicts them of their sins, if you will. They can't handle being told they are sinners and so they get their manties in a wad.  Again, fuck them.

Any other questions, please ask and if I can, I will try my best to give a worthy reply.  And the profit hoMohammed was a fucking pedophile, ergo his followers have no problem with it.  The Nazarene was more than that asshole hoMohammed.  

"But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea."

Jonestown Massacre. Not all but many voluntarily died for that POS. Nothing special there except gullible sheep. Not saying that is the case with Paul, but your example has too many problems. People killed for Charles Manson. His specialty was manipulation.

Personally, the biblical Jesus appears to be a stand up guy. If his followers actually followed his teachings I doubt I would have a problem with them. Most don't.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #498 on: August 07, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
My faith was with me for nearly six decades and then I decided I needed proof.  It is my decision.  I admit I was influenced by a friend's loss of his faith but still, it was my decision.   I view the Nazarene as a great man.  A holy man, if you will.  A man of conscience.  A superb teacher and more.     There are signs that he was more, for example,  the Apostle Peter died for his faith in the Christ.  No lying sack of shit smellivangelist of today (e.g., Joel Osteen) would die for faith in the Christ.  And yet Peter was crucified for his faith in Jesus of Nazareth.   It is said that Peter asked to be crucified upside down as he thought himself unworthy to die as did his Lord.

It is fact he was crucified for his faith.  It is legend that he was crucified upside down.  Regardless of the latter, Peter's faith was so great he was willing to die for it.  Who would do such a thing for a lie? 

"Greater than this, shall you do in my name".   I have not seen anything done in the name of the Nazarene that equals the miracles associated with him.  If it is wrong to desire proof, then Thomas (aka, "doubting Thomas") was wrong.  And yet he asked and received proof. I have asked and not gotten anything.  To paraphrase - "What father among you, who when asked by his children for bread, gives them a stone?"

To that I would add, "ignores his children".  We have a mind capable of questioning a great many things, not the least of which is how did we all get here.  God used to do all manner of miracluous things in the old testament.  Even in the new testament, there were healings and the like but after the end of the lives of the Apostles, there's been pretty much nothing miraculous going on.  I have heard people who say that miracles are hidden from us by the "media" or by the elusive people known only as "them".  I say BS.  You could not hide the restoration of sight to a blind person.  You could not hide the restoration of life to a dead person.  Where is the proof?  Indeed.  Where?

I am disgusted by atheists undeserving of the name who belittle only those that believe in the Nazarene.  I have yet to hear one make fun of islime or Buddists or Wiccans or anything else not associated (rightly or otherwise) with Christianity.  So I say fuck those atheists.  And they don't like that at all.  Because the Nazarene's message convicts them of their sins, if you will. They can't handle being told they are sinners and so they get their manties in a wad.  Again, fuck them.

Any other questions, please ask and if I can, I will try my best to give a worthy reply.  And the profit hoMohammed was a fucking pedophile, ergo his followers have no problem with it.  The Nazarene was more than that asshole hoMohammed. 

You wonder why? It's because here in America it isn't the Wiccans, buddhist or Muslims trying to push their religious agenda into laws and government. It really is as simple as that. When and if they do, then you will hear atheists raising hell about it.   

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: August 07, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
Jonestown Massacre. Not all but many voluntarily died for that POS. Nothing special there except gullible sheep. Not saying that is the case with Paul, but your example has too many problems. People killed for Charles Manson. His specialty was manipulation.

Personally, the biblical Jesus appears to be a stand up guy. If his followers actually followed his teachings I doubt I would have a problem with them. Most don't.

My example has zero "problems".  Nero was an historical figure as was Peter.  Nero put Peter to death.  The only problem is yours but you can do as you wish and say what you will.

For you to compare the Nazarene to Jones or Manson...  That speaks volumes.  Make no mistake, you did just that.  If he (the Nazarene) was indeed "He", then I can assure you that you will be among those that hear, "Depart from me.  I never knew you".  And me? 

I am no better...Except I don't lie. You have a problem with the teachings of the Christ because they offend your ego.  You just use his false followers as an excuse.  Or is this just a facade of yours?  Shake it off before it covers you completely.