Author Topic: Bobby "The Brain" Updates:  (Read 16939 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Bobby "The Brain" Updates:
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
The following info is from Wikipedia, so take it for what it’s worth.
I do know that a lot of the information is accurate, but until the last part is confirmed…

On December 11, 2009, Bobby Heenan was hospitalized at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL after an examination of his rebuilt jaw found an infection that needed to be treated. As a result, Heenan missed his scheduled appearance at the K&S Wrestlefest event in New Jersey.

By 2010, Heenan's jaw infection was completely eradicated. He appeared at TNA Lockdown fanfest on April 17, 2010. Heenan's Speech is now hard to understand, but he still has that look in his eye that brought him his fame.

In December 2010 WWE will release a retrospective of his career.

Montague

• Getbig V
Re: Bobby "The Brain" DVD:
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:28:39 AM »
I am itching for a Heenan dvd to come out...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:41:14 AM »
I hope they get a lot of insight directly from Bobby - i.e. get him to comment on events, stories, etc.
I can't find any substantial updates on Mr. Heenan's current health condition, but I know that he's had a good bit of diffictulty speaking for a while now.

However, WWE has featured quite a few (more) recent interviews with Bobby over the last 5-10 years.
I suspect they have more, and I hope they'll dip into that "well" for use in this compilation.
I just don't want to watch matches & interviews while listening to Matt Striker host.
Hopefully, they feature a lot of Bobby's AWA material as well.

He's already told a lot between his two books and shoot interviews.
I'll buy this DVD, regardless of what's on it or what the reviews are like.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 05:46:03 AM »
I hope they get a lot of insight directly from Bobby - i.e. get him to comment on events, stories, etc.
I can't find any substantial updates on Mr. Heenan's current health condition, but I know that he's had a good bit of diffictulty speaking for a while now.

However, WWE has featured quite a few (more) recent interviews with Bobby over the last 5-10 years.
I suspect they have more, and I hope they'll dip into that "well" for use in this compilation.
I just don't want to watch matches & interviews while listening to Matt Striker host.
Hopefully, they feature a lot of Bobby's AWA material as well.

He's already told a lot between his two books and shoot interviews.
I'll buy this DVD, regardless of what's on it or what the reviews are like.

Ya, I heard him try to tell a story on youtube in one of the wrestlefest parties and he is difficult to understand at times. I feel for the guy. He was always one of my favorites.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
Did you know that, at one time, Heenan worked directly under George Scott?
Bobby “The Brain” Heenan was third in command of the largest wrestling organization in the world.

The guy had/has talent beyond belief!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:07 AM »
Did you know that, at one time, Heenan worked directly under George Scott?
Bobby “The Brain” Heenan was third in command of the largest wrestling organization in the world.

The guy had/has talent beyond belief!
Oh yes. He is a mastermind. One of the smartest guy's in wrestling and one of the few that is LIKED by EVERYONE.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »
Oh yes. He is a mastermind. One of the smartest guy's in wrestling and one of the few that is LIKED by EVERYONE:)

Except Tully Blanchard.
LOL!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »

Except Tully Blanchard.
LOL!!!
Call me stupid but I missed the punchline here....

Did Heenan and Blanchard have heat??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »
When the Brain Busters left the Fed, Heenan was instructed to do a promo explaining that he had to let them go because they were too difficult to do business with.
They had to give some reason.

It was all kayfabe.
But, Tully got hot over that.
He felt that Heenan badmouthed him & Arn.

Tully’s dad, Joe, and Bobby were good acquaintances years ago.
Some time later, Heenan ran into Tully at an event and asked how his dad is doing.
Tully shot back rather harshly, “Why don’t you ask him yourself?”
Bobby asked what the problem was and that’s when he found out Tully’s feelings about his worked comments on WWF TV.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
When the Brain Busters left the Fed, Heenan was instructed to do a promo explaining that he had to let them go because they were too difficult to do business with.
They had to give some reason.

It was all kayfabe.
But, Tully got hot over that.
He felt that Heenan badmouthed him & Arn.

Tully’s dad, Joe, and Bobby were good acquaintances years ago.
Some time later, Heenan ran into Tully at an event and asked how his dad is doing.
Tully shot back rather harshly, “Why don’t you ask him yourself?”
Bobby asked what the problem was and that’s when he found out Tully’s feelings about his worked comments on WWF TV.

Wow.... I never knew that. Tully's being a suck about that. Getting pissed over a Kayfabe interview? Wow...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »
Source: Pwinsider.com

WWE Hall of Famer Bobby Heenan has suffered several injuries in the last several weeks.

Heenan fell several weeks ago and broke his hip. While in rehabilitation, he slipped and suffered a broken shoulder as well as a fractured hip. Heenan will now have surgery on August 4th for the broken shoulder.

Due to these injuries, Heenan has been forced out of his appearance at the NWA Legends Fan Convention. He was originally going to attend the convention in a wheel chair.

Get well soon Brain.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »
Don't know how much you guys have ever seen Heenan's work as Bockwinkels mgr in the AWA, but imo it was by far his best.  The comedy stuff in the WWF got a bit tiring to me, but could come up with some awesome stuff ever now and then....in the WCW I used to get a kick out of how much he would bash Hogan and then when Hogan went heel, Heenan just loved to gloat about it.  Wish him well, one of the greats.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Don't know how much you guys have ever seen Heenan's work as Bockwinkels mgr in the AWA, but imo it was by far his best.  The comedy stuff in the WWF got a bit tiring to me, but could come up with some awesome stuff ever now and then....in the WCW I used to get a kick out of how much he would bash Hogan and then when Hogan went heel, Heenan just loved to gloat about it.  Wish him well, one of the greats.
I just watched a handi-cap match with Hogan vs Heenan & Bockwinkle in the AWA back in mid 1983. Good match and Heenan was GOLD.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
Everybody in the AWA dressing room knew that the championship belt Verne used was made by inmates at the Denver prison.
Bockwinkle was complaining about its size just before a match the one night.

Heenan told him, “Nick you could be wearing a license plate.”

I hope they interview Baron Von Raschke.
He & Heenan were very close, and Bobby speaks as highly of him as he does Monsoon.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
The Baron scared the crap out of me as a kid.  He was a way over heel here in the midatlantic territory.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
Raschke just looked & fit the part so well.
By all accounts, he was/is a very nice and kind man in real life - the exact opposite of his character.
That's the definition of a real worker.

He did a shoot interview with Highspots not too long ago.
I'm sure he's got plenty of good stories about "The Brain," Ray Stevens, the Gagne's, etc.
He's also got a good sense of humor.

One day, the AWA van drove past a state prison and Heenan - as a bit of trivia - mentioned that those inmates made the equivalent of $0.33 per day.
Raschke said, "Hold on, Heenan... Is this another one of your get-rich-quick schemes?"

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
Raschke just looked & fit the part so well.
By all accounts, he was/is a very nice and kind man in real life - the exact opposite of his character.
That's the definition of a real worker.

He did a shoot interview with Highspots not too long ago.
I'm sure he's got plenty of good stories about "The Brain," Ray Stevens, the Gagne's, etc.
He's also got a good sense of humor.

One day, the AWA van drove past a state prison and Heenan - as a bit of trivia - mentioned that those inmates made the equivalent of $0.33 per day.
Raschke said, "Hold on, Heenan... Is this another one of your get-rich-quick schemes?"

ROFL....haha, Verne must have been tight with the payouts..... ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
ROFL....haha, Verne must have been tight with the payouts..... ;D

His payouts weren’t the worst, but they certainly weren’t the best, and he was known to jerk guys around over payoffs.
Verne was the typical promoter who always bitched that he couldn’t afford to do this or that for the promotion, yet had the big house on the lake and took luxurious family vacations throughout the year.

Jesse Ventura walked out after he & Hito were screwed on a payoff before learning that Verne & Greg had gone skiing in Aspen.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
Jim Ross recently commented on Bobby Heenan's health on his JRsBarBQ.com website:

"The news of Bobby Heenan falling, apparently twice, and breaking his shoulder, pelvis, and hip are sobering. I think the world of 'The Brain' who will undergo shoulder surgery on August 4 and consider him a dear friend. When I first went to WWE in 1993 from the 'enemy' (WCW) Bobby and Gorilla Monsoon were the first two people who really took me in and made me feel welcomed in a new environment. They were in the minority but they had enough clout that it helped others come around to simply giving allowing themselves to get to know me and then make a decision based on fact not who my previous employer was."

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:48 AM »
Jim Ross recently commented on Bobby Heenan's health on his JRsBarBQ.com website:

"The news of Bobby Heenan falling, apparently twice, and breaking his shoulder, pelvis, and hip are sobering. I think the world of 'The Brain' who will undergo shoulder surgery on August 4 and consider him a dear friend. When I first went to WWE in 1993 from the 'enemy' (WCW) Bobby and Gorilla Monsoon were the first two people who really took me in and made me feel welcomed in a new environment.They were in the minority but they had enough clout that it helped others come around to simply giving allowing themselves to get to know me and then make a decision based on fact not who my previous employer was."
Just goes to show you how genuine Bobby Heenan & Gorilla both were. Not like the jealous / vindictive idiot that runs that place.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »
Oh, yeah.
Although, if those guys who resented Ross at the time knew the position he would eventually/soon occupy, I’ll bet they’d have been a lot nicer to him.
 :)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Oh, yeah.
Although, if those guys who resented Ross at the time knew the position he would eventually/soon occupy, I’ll bet they’d have been a lot nicer to him.
 :)
Ross is well liked pretty much everywhere he goes.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
And I suspect that these days it’s more of a genuine liking as opposed to the ass-kissing he received as VP of Talent Relations.

Also back then, JR was put in a position of dealing with the finances, positions, careers, (read lives) of a lot of workers.
He had to make some tough calls and deliver plenty of bad news.

That type of responsibility produces many days I would not envy. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
A little preview to whet your appetite…
I hope they include this on the upcoming DVD: