Author Topic: R.I.P. Randy Savage TRIBUTE:  (Read 40979 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Randy Poffo aka Randy Macho Man Savage died in car crash!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
That's why I said, "by any other standards". Savage had no well-known history of heart problems (like those of Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall). And, he looked terrific at 58 years old.

Thats why I mentioned looking healthy has zero to do with being healthy.  And every year there are athletes at every level who die of heart complications who have no history of heart problems, simply because they were never tested.  IE: Reggie Lewis, Hank Gathers, etc... 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
Thats why I mentioned looking healthy has zero to do with being healthy.  And every year there are athletes at every level who die of heart complications who have no history of heart problems, simply because they were never tested.  IE: Reggie Lewis, Hank Gathers, etc... 

And they croaked fairly young, not at 58 years old. Given Savage's history of injuries (I saw him at Gold's Gym in Pinellas Park, FL, which is 30 or so miles south of Tampa, when he injured his knee. Gorgeous George and another girl had to help him hobble to his car), one would think that Savage has had his share of checkups.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 12:05:07 PM »
And they croaked fairly young, not at 58 years old. Given Savage's history of injuries (I saw him at Gold's Gym in Pinellas Park, FL, which is 30 or so miles south of Tampa, when he injured his knee. Gorgeous George and another girl had to help him hobble to his car), one would think that Savage has had his share of checkups.

You would think so, but unless they did some type of EKG and even then it isn't always revealed, he might have had a condition that was undetected for years.  I wonder if they did an autopsy?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
You would think so, but unless they did some type of EKG and even then it isn't always revealed, he might have had a condition that was undetected for years.  I wonder if they did an autopsy?
i remember this guy dropping off from valley disease, he went quick.
F

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: R.I.P. Randy Savage (threads merged):
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
411mania.com has reported there are no plans for a public or private memorial for Savage. He will be cremated and his ashes scattered around a tree he loved. Apparently when a dog of his named Hercules died, the dog's ashes were scattered around the tree and Savage said "If it's good enough for Herc, it's good enough for me."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:33 PM »
411mania.com has reported there are no plans for a public or private memorial for Savage. He will be cremated and his ashes scattered around a tree he loved. Apparently when a dog of his named Hercules died, the dog's ashes were scattered around the tree and Savage said "If it's good enough for Herc, it's good enough for me."

Savage = cool to the end.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »
  I wonder if they did an autopsy?

More tests will be conducted to determine the cause of death for Randy "Macho Man" Savage after autopsy results did not reveal extensive trauma, according to Pinellas County officials.

The autopsy results are considered "pending" while additional tests are completed, said Bill Pellan, director of investigations for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's Office. Outside testing will include toxicoloy and histology tests, and could take four to six weeks, he said.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110523/ARTICLE/110529795/2055/NEWS?Title=-Macho-Man-Randy-Savage-s-cause-of-death-still-unclear

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
Ultimate Warrior pays tribute=

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
Sometime around 4am EST which would be 1 am where "Rowdy" Roddy Piper lives in Oregon, he posted the following on his Twitter account

"Randy slapped Vince in a bar...End of that story!!"

Piper was sharing Macho Man stories on his twitter throughout the evening.

This of course is relevant because of the long debated mystery of why the Macho Man has never been seen on WWE television since he left for WCW after guys such as Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart and others have done business with Vince McMahon since their individual problems with him.

Another note to this, it is a tale that has been confirmed by different people over the years, when Kevin Wacholz who played Nailz physically attacked Vince McMahon in his office and of course never worked or was heard from in any way by the WWE since. So, if Piper's story is in fact what broke any and all relationship with McMahon, it would not be surprising as getting physical with the boss is just a line that can't be crossed or forgotten. Bret Hart obviously got physical with Vince after the Survivor Series in match but I am sure most including Vince would admit that is a much different circumstance.

credit: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/piper-says-what-happened-between-macho-man-vince-130185

But, WWE released the "Macho Madness" DVD set and ran commercials for it for several weeks. So, they didn't keep Savage completely out of the picture.

Then, there's this gem:

Well, then I think you should call up Roddy & the folks at Wrestlezone on the phone and politely demand a f'n explanation.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
On a more serious note...
After learning a bit more, I gained the impression that Savage's deal was more with MATTEL than WWE.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
On a more serious note...
After learning a bit more, I gained the impression that Savage's deal was more with MATTEL than WWE.
it was all Mattel. Savage was always ALL business and never signed the dotted line unless the deal was sweet.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 06:23:28 AM »
it was all Mattel. Savage was always ALL business and never signed the dotted line unless the deal was sweet.

I enjoyed the accounts above that touched upon Savage's money habits.
Most guys just carelessly blow it because they - as Flair likes to say - live for the day.

I don't know for sure, but it sounds as if even Flair has had his shair of financial problems, for whatever reason(s) over the years.

Meanwhile, Lanny Poffo - who made a lot less than guys who worked above him & now have basically nothing to show for it - is living quite comfortably in FL and enjoying his post-wrestling retirement.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Nice tribute on Raw

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Nice tribute on Raw

Thanks for posting.
I went right from work to our borough meeting last night, which ran forever.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
Well, I hope that tribute put on Raw by Vince puts a final end to the silly "rumours" of Savage having slept with Stephanie McMahon back in 1994. Had that really happened, no way in hell Vince would have paid tribute to Savage. People stir shit up all the time but this tribute just prooves people wrong.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
One of "The Macho Man" Randy Savage's greatest rivals from the 80's, George "The Animal" Steele, was on Busted Open with Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca, which airs Mondays and Wednesdays at 2-4 PM ET on Sirius 92 and XM 207.

"That's been said a lot of different ways, and there's been a lot of different things said that are not true necessarily."

"I think that what happened with Randy, when his career was winding down with the WWF, Vince McMahon just loved Randy," he continued. "After all everything Randy had done and he took him under his wing, and he wanted Randy after the ring was over with for him, he wanted him to be our spokesperson. He was traveling with Vince all the time. Randy was almost like a son, they were really tight. And then one day, we were at a TV meeting, and we got word that Randy, without calling Vince, had left and jumped to the WCW."

"I had never seen Vince McMahon broken before, he was crushed. It hurt him big time and I don't think he ever got over that. I think that's the real problem to be honest with you. I heard all this other stuff that I think is garbage when it comes to Randy and relationships with daughters and all that stuff... I don't think that's anywhere's close to the truth." 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »
One of "The Macho Man" Randy Savage's greatest rivals from the 80's, George "The Animal" Steele, was on Busted Open with Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca, which airs Mondays and Wednesdays at 2-4 PM ET on Sirius 92 and XM 207.

"That's been said a lot of different ways, and there's been a lot of different things said that are not true necessarily."

"I think that what happened with Randy, when his career was winding down with the WWF, Vince McMahon just loved Randy," he continued. "After all everything Randy had done and he took him under his wing, and he wanted Randy after the ring was over with for him, he wanted him to be our spokesperson. He was traveling with Vince all the time. Randy was almost like a son, they were really tight. And then one day, we were at a TV meeting, and we got word that Randy, without calling Vince, had left and jumped to the WCW."

"I had never seen Vince McMahon broken before, he was crushed. It hurt him big time and I don't think he ever got over that. I think that's the real problem to be honest with you. I heard all this other stuff that I think is garbage when it comes to Randy and relationships with daughters and all that stuff... I don't think that's anywhere's close to the truth." 

George Steele is still wrestling??? He has to be like 75 years old! Wow...

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports has an article chronicling Randy Savage's extraordinary wrestling career and it features behind-the-scenes details on how it came to an end.

Savage briefly appeared for TNA Wrestling in late 2004 to feud with Jeff Jarrett. At the December pay-per-view, Turning Point, he was scheduled to partner with Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles in a tag team match against The Kings of Wrestling—Jarrett, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Savage, who hadn't wrestled in over four years, flaked out of the match mere minutes before the pay-per-view was to go live.

WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, who was TNA's head booker at the time, recalled the tumultuous ordeal backstage in a quote for the article.

"The last words he said to me, five minutes before the PPV, was, 'I can't do this. I don't want people to see me looking like this,'" Rhodes remembered. "Jerry [Jarrett, a TNA company co-owner] called [event producer] Keith Mitchell in, and I said, 'Change the main event. I said to him, 'Randy, just go home. It's okay with me.' That's the last words he said to me."

To explain the wrestling legend's absence from the match, an angle was hastily scripted for The Kings of Wrestling to attack Savage and stuff him into the trunk of a limo, which spend off out of the arena's parking lot. Without Savage, Styles and Hardy had to work the match by themselves. Savage ultimately appeared, albeit briefly.

After several minutes of Hardy and Styles fighting off The Kings of Wrestling, Savage, wearing a long black shirt to hide his shrunken physique, returned to the Impact! Zone and walked down to the ring. He was tagged in by Hardy moments later and pinned Jarrett after a punch to the jaw.

Savage bolted from the promotion days later at an iMPACT! taping due to a disagreement over the finish of his match at the next scheduled pay-per-view, Final Resolution. He had requested that he win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Jeff Jarrett at the event, but was denied. He never wrestled again.

Rhodes, who lived a 20-minute drive from Savage, never saw him again following Turning Point. He compared Savage of the last five years of his life to the reclusive lifestyle of Howard Hughes.

"I could see it in his eyes ... he just didn't want to do it," said Rhodes. "Obviously, he was financially set. Out of all of us from that era, [Ric] Flair, Hogan, Andre, myself, how many of us walked away.One."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:43 AM »
George Steele is still wrestling??? He has to be like 75 years old! Wow...
I don't think so...I know he had a bad stomach disorder that made him retire.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
I don't think so...I know he had a bad stomach disorder that made him retire.
Wow, never knew that. I saw one of his shoot interviews from back in 2004 and he was actually pretty intelligent. Sounded weird hearing him actually speak without the, "Hey!!! You!!!!" He mentioned how if he didn't like the wrestler he was working with, he would be stiffer then a 2x4 and he would potato the crap outta the guy.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
Wow, never knew that. I saw one of his shoot interviews from back in 2004 and he was actually pretty intelligent. Sounded weird hearing him actually speak without the, "Hey!!! You!!!!" He mentioned how if he didn't like the wrestler he was working with, he would be stiffer then a 2x4 and he would potato the crap outta the guy.
He's a smart guy. Has a masters degree and was a teacher before he went into wrestling.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
He's a smart guy. Has a masters degree and was a teacher before he went into wrestling.
That's interesting....can you imagine haveing George Steele as a professor?

"Heyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »
WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Hart, a long time colleague of “Macho Man” Randy Savage, appeared on Busted Open with Doug Mortman and Dave LaGreca, which airs Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Sirius 92 and XM 207. Highlights from his interview are as follows:

Hart on how is the Poffo family holding up in the wake of Randy’s passing?: “I think since three days since it happened, pretty darn good. Lanny’s always been great. I think what they decided to do too, because I got so many calls from everybody wondering where the funeral is going to be… I know you know it by now too, going to be cremated of course. His ashes are going to be spread on his property. Now, the reason I’m saying this, and its already out there anyhow… Lanny confirmed it too… where his dog Hercules passed away and was buried.

“I think just a little private deal is going to be for Randy’s family, I don’t think he wanted something very very big and that’s kind of the way he was. When he did charities, he never went out there and told people about it or anything and I think donations are going to be sent in in his name are going to be in Tampa for one of the children’s foundations here. I think they’re doing pretty well for it just happening three or four days ago.”

Hart on the relationship between Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan: “I don’t think it was as bad as sometimes people make it out to be because in the wrestling business, there’s always a little angle right around the corner where people can work together and make a ton of money. I think it ended up pretty well. I think when Hulk was going in to the hospital for one of his operations with his back, Randy happened to be at the same place. He stepped in to the room, said hello to Hulk and everything else.

“At the end, everything was pretty well being put back together again. Sometimes people make more of it than what it really is sometimes but being on this end and hearing a little bit of the scuttlebutt here and there, it was almost like a big wrestling angle. It still amazes me how people buy into and believe a what they think is a shoot but it turns out to be a well played work that made both parties major money. Randy was great, there will only be one Macho Man ever ever, colorful and did some great things nobody ever really knew about because he was so private.”