Author Topic: Front calf raises  (Read 2626 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Front calf raises
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
do any of you guys feel it important to train this muscle "Tibialis anterior". I was training legs today and i thought about maybe training the front shin area as well...it needs more training because it soon got tired!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Front calf raises
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »
Bicycle riding.

Never directly weight trained it, but mine is nicely developed.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
I don't know what you had in mind for exercise selection, but there's actually a machine that directly works this muscle. It looks somewhat like a backwards calf-raise machine.
I've never seen one in person, and I suspect that your best bet of finding one is in a modern, well-equipped training facility catering to collegiate and professional athletes.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Squats and deads take care of that area nicely.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Toe raises done on the cable in a seated position on a Bench is the best way to train Tibialis Anterior.Excecution of this excercise is such that one has to adjust the handle of the cable around the ball of the foot and then do eversion ie pulling the cable which is on the ball of your foot.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
simply place a plate on your toes and raise.. ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
Here are some ways to exercise that tibia anterior with the two things shown below. I use the one in that video I think it's called a D.A.R.T. I'm a runner and it's a great way to stabilize your ankle. I think for a bodybuilder it isn't necessary. Just put your heels on a block and do front toe raises. This should suffice for muscle balance.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/7700.html

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
Running in heavy beach sand (sprints mostly) is an excellent way to build total calves. Not to mention stamina (endurance + strength). Hits every angle of the calves and builds larger muscle mass. Best done barefooted.

If you live in Cow Pie, Iowa or Road Apples , Nebraska, you might have a problem finding heavy beach sand. But running in mud can pretty much give the same results. Also barefooted. Good Luck.
F

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
sit backwards on a hamstring curl machine, put your toes under it, and bring your toes towards your body.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
sit backwards on a hamstring curl machine, put your toes under it, and bring your toes towards your body.
\
this...and i did them for yrs on and off ,,but each ham curl machine makes it tougher to do have to play with bottom roller to get it right ,,,it works and i have signifigant v split to the bone and muscle look ,,

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
Here's what I do and it's worked wonders:

directly after your seated calf raises, stand up and "tap" your toes with your foot about 30 times and then go on to the next foot. 

This will build and define the front shin area well.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
\
this...and i did them for yrs on and off ,,but each ham curl machine makes it tougher to do have to play with bottom roller to get it right ,,,it works and i have signifigant v split to the bone and muscle look ,,

You can also squeeze a DB between your two feet and place just your heels on the end of a bench and do the same motion.  Harder to situate at first, but an excellent burn.