Author Topic: Your first encounter with ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER....  (Read 16781 times)

Slick Vic

Your first encounter with ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER....
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:45:14 AM »
The very first time I met/saw Arnold in-person was in December of '97 at the Orlando premiere of Planet Hollywood. My friend and I had camped out there for 14 hours and got the BEST seats in the house. I was holding a "bodybuilding poster" of Arnold as he and Maria walked by. He smiled and waved, but no hand shake.

Fast forward to 2004. At the Arnold Classic, I was wearing a Arnold shirt that read: "My governor can kick your governor's ass". For those who've been to The Classic, you know that Arnold makes his round around the expo, so when he had walked by me I yelled, "Arnold! Look!" as I pointed to my shirt. He looked over at me and said, "Ahhhh... Look at you! Very nice!" and shook my hand. That ranked right up there with me being able to ask him a question each time I went to his seminar.  8)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Your first encounter with ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:08:03 AM »
My first time was at the Original World Gym probably around 1979 or so.  I used to look out the window and watch him walk across the street and all the cars stopping and staring at him.  I didn't see him train that much.  Several times but not a daily thing.  I went kind of early in the morning and was gone usually before he came in.  But I did take several showers with him and Franco and all the guys and girls

Slick Vic

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
I did take several showers with him and Franco

Now that's a story all on its own.  :-\

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »
Summer of 1982-83(?), at the Clancy Ross Mr. America Club, in Walnut Creek, California. He was there for a seminar. Excellent crowd, good seminar. I lost those pictures years ago :(.
a

Slick Vic

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »
I lost those pictures years ago :(.

Damn... That sucks!  :-\

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:50:28 PM »
I only ever saw him close up once & that was in 94'  He was promoting something the same day I was at Disney Land & was able to get pretty close.

I've seen him a few times driving around Santa Monica back in 1999 & 2000 when I used to work out there on Montana Ave.  He owns a bunch of buildings/commercial property in that area. 

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »
I forgot a good one.  ;D

We were attending the 1988 Olympia at Universal Studios, and were walking into the show on the Red Carpet. There were big crowds on each side watching the festivities and we were walking a few people behind Arnold and his friends. When the crowd spotted Arnold they started yelling and the flash bulbs were going crazy.

We all started hitting front-double-biceps, most-musculars, etc...  Arnold turned and saw us and had a mighty laugh  ;D.

Man... that was 18 years ago.
a

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:43:47 AM »
I forgot a good one.  ;D

We were attending the 1988 Olympia at Universal Studios, and were walking into the show on the Red Carpet. There were big crowds on each side watching the festivities and we were walking a few people behind Arnold and his friends. When the crowd spotted Arnold they started yelling and the flash bulbs were going crazy.

We all stared hitting front-double-biceps, most-musculars, etc...  Arnold turned and saw us and had a mighty laugh  ;D.

Man... that was 18 years ago.
haha cool!
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 11:51:33 PM »
Backstage, at the '76 Universe in Weider's hometown Montreal. He was in the audience watching the competition with Joe and came backstage for a while. The only BB there, amongst the guys from Pumping Iron like Franco, Robby & Ferrigno to have a small group of fans trailing him around. Maybe 10-15; not a lot of people by today's standards but big for those times, prior to any movie publicity. Included a hot number who I learned later in a bio was his local date for the night; she worked for Weider I think.

An aura of self-importance & preoccupation that wasn't necessary; not friendly. This was before Pumping Iron was released. He wasn't widely known, had no motivation to be friendly for the sake of image. Around 210 lb., navy blue sports jacket & jeans.

Franco guest posed, then with no hesitation or embarassment, proceeded to strip down and change into street clothes right there in the warmup room, with gasps from a few women.  :-*

http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mensworld/1976congress.html

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
Awesome stories! Those guys that have been to his seminars could you elaborate on that part please.
just push some weight!

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »
I met that mofo one time. Prett cool cat.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »
I met that mofo one time. Prett cool cat.

that says absolutely f*ck all!!  :D
It hasn't helped...

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »
imet him in 1976 he guest posed in a small city named chicoutimi in quebec

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »
imet him in 1976 he guest posed in a small city named chicoutimi in quebec
I'm guessing that was around the same time as the fall '76 Universe held in nearby Montreal. Would be interesting to know what induced him to go to Chicoutimi of all places, unless one of the Weiders asked him to.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
if iremember it was in june that isaw him mr universe in montreal was held in november in 1976 it was abodybuiding show and he guest posed .he was in montreal too

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »
My first time was at the Original World Gym probably around 1979 or so.  I used to look out the window and watch him walk across the street and all the cars stopping and staring at him.  I didn't see him train that much.  Several times but not a daily thing.  I went kind of early in the morning and was gone usually before he came in.  But I did take several showers with him and Franco and all the guys and girls

So you came back for the showers?
just push some weight!

deangelis39

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 08:19:53 AM »
My first day in Venice with Teen America Frankie Vassil, after driving cross country to work for Golds, we had breakfast at the Rose Cafe, and a lot of the old timers were there...Zabo, Joe Gold....Frankie looks over my shoulder and says "Arnold just walked in!!"

Sure enough, he was sitting in a seperate cafe area with maria and a small entourage.  We sent a girl we were with out to buy a  camera, and waited in the parking lot for him to leave.....eventually Arnold left, alone..we asked him for a photo, and he agreed, even asking frankie (who had crazy legs) not to flex his legs (jokingly).  Looking back, he was pretty cordial, as we were just a couple of starstruck 20 year old wannabe's anyway.  this was '87.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »
My first encounter with Arnold Schwarzenegger was in March 2000 on the set of "The 6th Day".
We were setting up the shot, and there he was right in front of my face, ...it was skeeeeery!  :-X
w

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 02:28:38 AM »
I've never met him but I can honestly say he's the one person in the world that I would like to meet in person.

Moosejay

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 05:33:01 AM »
Unfortunately, he is the only legend I have neither met nor worked with. Never even seen him in person!

Mike

swacky

• Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
Yeah i work out at the gym that frankie vassil used to work at peffer's gym in scranton.Awesome hardcore gym where 400 pound benches are common place and their is also a guy their benching over 600 pounds raw!!1
Frank peffer said back in the late80's a 450 bench was the lowest their.Also used to be the home of the scranton superman jim williams whoi benched back in 1972 at the scranton ymca in front of the usa weightlifting team 720 raw!!!

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
Those are very cool stories about Arnold.I would have agree BigJ he is on legend in this sport that I would like to meet in person which would be very cool.

DieHards

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:19:11 PM »
i had actually met arnold 3 times.  but my first time meeting Arnold was during the filiming of Eraser in Queens, NY. he was shaking hands with the crowed and he shook mine.  damm near broke my hand.

2nd time was the democratic convention in NYC.  damm near broke my hand again.

3rd time was in CA on a biz trip.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
Me and Arnold hosted the first weightlifting competition in the Special Olympics back in 85 or 86 I think at the LA Games at UCLA

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 01:19:53 AM »
Me and Arnold hosted the first weightlifting competition in the Special Olympics back in 85 or 86 I think at the LA Games at UCLA

amazing that Keith has spent a lot of time with the most famous and important people in the industry; yet he still has enough modesty to let the little brats on here give him a hard time. 

i admire the life you have lived, and most on here would give anything to experience a tenth of what you have.