Author Topic: gatorade, powerade - a waste of money? or worthwhile?  (Read 7913 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: gatorade, powerade - a waste of money? or worthwhile?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 03:08:50 AM »
One word...........WATER!!

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05:51 AM »
I'm assuming you're referring to drinking powerade or Gatorade post workout.

I just have whey isolate and waxy maize starch post-workout.

During the workout I just drink water.

Pre-workout I have a meal replacement drink which is basically whey mixed with oats and barley and also some NO-Explode.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 06:22:17 AM »
I have used powdered Powerade as opposed to Gatorade, as it has Dextrose listed as it's main ingredient, while I think Gatorade's is fructose.  Two scoops of Now Nutrition's vanilla whey isolate and three scoops of Powerade's Mountian Blue flavor mixed with water postworkout, and it tastes like cotton candy. mmmm

To QuakerOates, I take BCAA caps or powder pre-workout, but post-workout I figure the whey will supply enough. Do you take the 10g of BCAA powder post-workout in addition to protein powder?
no, the reason i use the 10 grams is because i don't use whey after workouts, i drink the gatorade and BCAA's and then eat 15-20 minutes after that.

ibfasport

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
gay drink gaytorade  ;D

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
30g dextrose during workout - 50g dextrose+50g whey protein post workout = ultimate recipe for ze anabolic state.
 8) :D :D :D

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »
taking bcaa is stupid, it has zero benefits over regular protein powder.

you are just burning cash for something that tastes like shit  :-X

also boost you are dumbest guy ever to post on here - don't eat for 12 hours around the workout ??? steroids don't build muscle they only make you stronger  ???

you must be a fucking monster.  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
taking bcaa is stupid, it has zero benefits over regular protein powder.

you are just burning cash for something that tastes like shit  :-X

also boost you are dumbest guy ever to post on here - don't eat for 12 hours around the workout ??? steroids don't build muscle they only make you stronger  ???

you must be a fucking monster.  ::)

necrosis/usmokepole has illustrated to you before many times how taking certain amin accids alone provides different benefits than taking them in a whole food source.

and besides that point, taking bcaa's is not stupid, if your not going to be taking whey (which QO said he doesnt do)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
necrosis/usmokepole has illustrated to you before many times how taking certain amin accids alone provides different benefits than taking them in a whole food source.

and besides that point, taking bcaa's is not stupid, if your not going to be taking whey (which QO said he doesnt do)

Necrosis argued that individual bcaa have specific/different effects vs taken as a complete protein source. i disagreed as there has never been a study that compares equal bcaa  vs complete source with the same amounts of bcaa in each.

i have since found one though, and guess what the outcome was  ;) ;D

i have other studies also candy. you should know me by now.

The facts are if you like wasting money on a bitter, horrible tasting bcaa powder rather than drinking cheaper tastier whey then you = stupid.

there is also more bcaa's in a single chicken breast than there is in 10 bcaa caps. you still think its smart to take them ?
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
Necrosis argued that individual bcaa have specific/different effects vs taken as a complete protein source. i disagreed as there has never been a study that compares equal bcaa  vs complete source with the same amounts of bcaa in each.

i have since found one though, and guess what the outcome was  ;) ;D

i have other studies also candy. you should know me by now.

The facts are if you like wasting money on a bitter, horrible tasting bcaa powder rather than drinking cheaper tastier whey then you = stupid.

there is also more bcaa's in a single chicken breast than there is in 10 bcaa caps. you still think its smart to take them ?
i never said i thought bcaa's were superior to whey

and nneither did necrosis, only that there are different effects

and if one is NOT comsuming whey, then taking bcaa would be good

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »

I agree with you my friend, you are right.  :)
Also, IMO Casein is much much better than Whey.

i agree my friend - casien is better than whey - but a mixture of both is better than either.

candi do you like apples?

Interrelationship between Physical Activity and Branched-Chain Amino Acids1

Michael Gleeson2

School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU,
England, UK

ABSTRACT Some athletes can have quite high intakes of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) because of their
high energy and protein intakes and also because they consume protein supplements, solutions of protein
hydrolysates, and free amino acids. The requirement for protein may actually be higher in endurance athletes than
in sedentary individuals because some amino acids, including the BCAAs, are oxidized in increased amounts
during exercise compared with rest, and they must therefore be replenished by the diet. In the late 1970s, BCAAs
were suggested to be the third fuel for skeletal muscle after carbohydrate and fat. However, the majority of later
studies, using various exercise and treatment designs and several forms of administration of BCAAs (infusion, oral,
and with and without carbohydrates), have failed to find a performance-enhancing effect. No valid scientific
evidence supports the commercial claims that orally ingested BCAAs have an anticatabolic effect during and after
exercise in humans or that BCAA supplements may accelerate the repair of muscle damage after exercise. The
recommended protein intakes for athletes (1.2 to 1.8 g  kg body mass–1  d–1) do not seem to be harmful. Acute
intakes of BCAA supplements of about 10–30 g/d seem to be without ill effect.   However, the suggested reasons
for taking such supplements have not received much support from well-controlled scientific studies.
J. Nutr. 135:
1591S–1595S, 2005.

how'd you like dem apples ?
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
i agree my friend - casien is better than whey - but a mixture of both is better than either.

candi do you like apples?

how'd you like dem apples ?

that doesnt really say anything. its not a study either. just like a paragraph written by somebody in the form of a study.  if one isnt taking whey- bcaa is a good option instead. thats all.

whey and casein - they are different..... i woudlnt say one is necessarly "better" than the other... just better in certain situations...  however when they are put side by side in real studies to examine effectiveness.... whey results in more nitrogen retention at the end of the day compared to casein.... so in fact whey, if we had to choose one to be "better" , whey would be it.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 12:06:09 PM »
i never said i thought bcaa's were superior to whey

and nneither did necrosis, only that there are different effects

and if one is NOT comsuming whey, then taking bcaa would be good

i disagree with necroisis and studies are further along now - perhaps he has changed him mind since.

any complete protein source provides more than enough bcaa. more than you would/could afford in a bcaa powder or caps.

you don't even need to take whey or casein - a few chicken breasts would be more than enough.

here is a post a guy on bb.com made that really proved the point of how stupid it is to take bcaa:

Go get a cup of coffee. I'm about to debunk the myth of the "BCAA Supplement"

BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids)
leucine (LEU)
isoleucine (ILE)
valine (VAL)

Honorable mention non-branched Amino Acid: Glutamine (GLN)

Amino Acid abbreviations listed here

Some common BCAA Supps (grams per serving, servings per container, cost per gram of AA):
Optimum BCAA 5000 Powder - 60 Servings, $24
2.5 LEU....$0.16/gram
1.25 ILE....$0.32/gram
1.25 VAL....$0.32/gram
SciVation Xtend - 90 Servings, $50
3.5 LEU....$0.158/gram
1.8 ILE....$0.309/gram
1.8 VAL....$0.309/gram
2.5 GLN....$0.222/gram
SciFit BCAA Powder 5000 - 200 Servings, $54
2.3 LEU....$0.117/gram
0.78 ILE....$0.346/gram
1.92 VAL....$0.140/gram

A Dairy Product Found in Every Grocery Store in the World
Cottage Cheese - Six (4 oz) servings per container, $2.79
6.388 g LEU....$0.072 /g
3.652 g ILE....$0.127 /g
3.848 g VAL....$0.121 /g

Interesting...

Wait, what else is in cottage cheese?

Hm............

???

Oh yeah, ALL THE OTHER AMINO ACIDS!!

I see.

Let's tabulate that shit....

...30 servings of each supplement, what you get in 30 servings, and the total cost of 30 servings:

Optimum BCAA 5000 Powder 30 servings, $12
75 grams LEU
37.5 grams ILE
37.5 grams VAL
SciVation Xtend - 30 Servings, $16.67
105 grams LEU
54 grams ILE
54 grams VAL
75 grams GLN

SciFit BCAA Powder 5000 - 30 Servings, $8.09
69 grams LEU
23.4 grams ILE
57.6 grams VAL
Cottage Cheese - 30 servings (120 oz = 5 containers = $13.95)

191.64 grams LEU
109.56 grams ILE
115.44 grams VAL
40.56 grams GLY
96.72 grams ALA
56.04 grams MET
100.44 grams PHE
20.76 grams TRP1
215.88 grams PRO
104.52 grams SER
82.56 grams THR
17.28 grams CYS
99.24 grams TYR
??? grams ASN
??? grams GLN
126.12 grams ASP
403.56 grams GLU
150.6 grams LYS
85.08 grams ARG
61.92 grams HIS
Shit, you could take HALF servings of cottage cheese and get the same amount of BCAAs

Half Serving of Cottage Cheese
3.194 g LEU
1.826 g ILE
1.924 g VAL

^ This would cost $6.975 / month

Full Serving of BCAA (Scivation Extend in this case)
3.5 g LEU
1.8 g ILE
1.8 g VAL
2.5 g GLN

^ This would cost $16.67 / month

(and lack the other 16 amino acids)

175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
i disagree with necroisis and studies are further along now - perhaps he has changed him mind since.

any complete protein source provides more than enough bcaa. more than you would/could afford in a bcaa powder or caps.

you don't even need to take whey or casein - a few chicken breasts would be more than enough.

here is a post a guy on bb.com made that really proved the point of how stupid it is to take bcaa:

thats all good and well.

of course bcaa are found in food and whey and casein.

however if your not eating food or whey or casein....

then bcaa would be necessary

and QO said he wasnt taking whey(or anything else)...soooo... then taking them would be necessary

and also, taking bcaa in whole food does have different effects than taking them alone. just like leucine alone has different effects than in food, and arginine alone has different effects than in food. 

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
that doesnt really say anything. its not a study either. just like a paragraph written by somebody in the form of a study.  if one isnt taking whey- bcaa is a good option instead. thats all.

whey and casein - they are different..... i woudlnt say one is necessarly "better" than the other... just better in certain situations...  however when they are put side by side in real studies to examine effectiveness.... whey results in more nitrogen retention at the end of the day compared to casein.... so in fact whey, if we had to choose one to be "better" , whey would be it.

ffs don't be pedantic  - search for the full paper - ITS AN AMINO ACID WORKSHOP THAT DISCUSSES THE RESULTS OF STUDIES DONE ON BCAA. all the studies are referenced  ::)

as for whey over casien - wrong again.

whey has zero anti catabolic effects but provides synthesis - casien provides an anti catabolic effect and synthesis, leading to greater overall nitrogen retention.

would you like the study for that one too  ;)
175lbs by 31st July

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
ffs don't be pedantic  - search for the full paper - ITS AN AMINO ACID WORKSHOP THAT DISCUSSES THE RESULTS OF STUDIES DONE ON BCAA. all the studies are referenced  ::)

as for whey over casien - wrong again.

whey has zero anti catabolic effects but provides synthesis - casien provides an anti catabolic effect and synthesis, leading to greater overall nitrogen retention.

would you like the study for that one too  ;)

sure post it up, because ive seen a million that show whey destroys casein.  and because i believ csein does not provide synthesis... it only covers breakdown... because it digest so slowly..about the rate at which your body is naturally breaking down protein...     and whey does stop breakdown...for about 3 hours... during that same time synthesis is dramatically increased... not to mention other benefits of whey on the immune system, fat loss,  etc

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
thats all good and well.

of course bcaa are found in food and whey and casein.

however if your not eating food or whey or casein....

then bcaa would be necessary

and QO said he wasnt taking whey(or anything else)...soooo... then taking them would be necessary

and also, taking bcaa in whole food does have different effects than taking them alone. just like leucine alone has different effects than in food, and arginine alone has different effects than in food. 

hahahahaha is quaker living on the moon where he has no access to normal food?

he could drink milk, or eat a chicken breat and get much more bcaa for 66% cheaper.

but yes if he was stuck on a spaceship flying through a black hole with only 1 gallon jugs of bcaa to sustain him then yes bcaa would be more effective for muscle mass than no food at all.  ::)

taking bcaa has ABSOLUTLY NO ADVANTAGES OVER EATING THEM IN A WHOLE PROTEIN SOURCE - READ THAT PAPER.
175lbs by 31st July

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
Interesting, people still purchase BCAA's?

I haven't taken any source of protein other than real food in almost a year. I don't even buy protein powder anymore, just eat 4-5 clean meals a day and you will grow.

As for Gatorade, i know guys who mix the powder in with their Slin shake but i drink mainly water and tea throughout the day.

8)

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »
sure post it up, because ive seen a million that show whey destroys casein.  and because i believ csein does not provide synthesis... it only covers breakdown... because it digest so slowly..about the rate at which your body is naturally breaking down protein...     and whey does stop breakdown...for about 3 hours... during that same time synthesis is dramatically increased... not to mention other benefits of whey on the immune system, fat loss,  etc

i hope you actually read this one:

Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion.Boirie Y, Dangin M, Gachon P, Vasson MP, Maubois JL, Beaufrère B.
Laboratoire de Nutrition Humaine, Université Clermont Auvergne, Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, BP 321, 63009 Clermont-Ferrand Cedex 1, France.

The speed of absorption of dietary amino acids by the gut varies according to the type of ingested dietary protein. This could affect postprandial protein synthesis, breakdown, and deposition. To test this hypothesis, two intrinsically 13C-leucine-labeled milk proteins, casein (CAS) and whey protein (WP), of different physicochemical properties were ingested as one single meal by healthy adults. Postprandial whole body leucine kinetics were assessed by using a dual tracer methodology. WP induced a dramatic but short increase of plasma amino acids. CAS induced a prolonged plateau of moderate hyperaminoacidemia, probably because of a slow gastric emptying. Whole body protein breakdown was inhibited by 34% after CAS ingestion but not after WP ingestion.  Postprandial protein synthesis was stimulated by 68% with the WP meal and to a lesser extent (+31%) with the CAS meal. Postprandial whole body leucine oxidation over 7 h was lower with CAS (272 +/- 91 micromol.kg-1) than with WP (373 +/- 56 micromol.kg-1). Leucine intake was identical in both meals (380 micromol.kg-1). Therefore, net leucine balance over the 7 h after the meal was more positive with CAS than with WP (P < 0.05, WP vs. CAS).  In conclusion, the speed of protein digestion and amino acid absorption from the gut has a major effect on whole body protein anabolism after one single meal. By analogy with carbohydrate metabolism, slow and fast proteins modulate the postprandial metabolic response, a concept to be applied to wasting situations.
175lbs by 31st July

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »
hahahahaha is quaker living on the moon where he has no access to normal food?

he could drink milk, or eat a chicken breat and get much more bcaa for 66% cheaper.

but yes if he was stuck on a spaceship flying through a black hole with only 1 gallon jugs of bcaa to sustain him then yes bcaa would be more effective for muscle mass than no food at all.  ::)

taking bcaa has ABSOLUTLY NO ADVANTAGES OVER EATING THEM IN A WHOLE PROTEIN SOURCE - READ THAT PAPER.
i said that i eat 14 ounces of chicken and rice 15-20 minutes after the BCAA's, basically i have the food waiting for me when i get home from the gym.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
i said that i eat 14 ounces of chicken and rice 15-20 minutes after the BCAA's, basically i have the food waiting for me when i get home from the gym.

have a glass of milk instead - its cheaper and tastes better.  :)
175lbs by 31st July

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
have a glass of milk instead - its cheaper and tastes better.  :)
that would be great if i had a way to keep it cold. ::)

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
Also, IMO Casein is much much better than Whey.
stfu

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »

you should listen to this man, after all- would you not like to look like this- 200 pounds and ripped by his own admission.

he looks like he knows what he's talking about...

b

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
I was spending like 3 quid a day in gym on 3 bottles of juice.

Now i can get 10 for 3quid when i just use Tesco's own brand stuff. Tastes better IMO

DAMY

• Getbig III
  • I shit myself, therefore I am.
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey guys, lay off Panda, he's my pal. We have similar struggles in the fat department. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

One thing though, Panda; blacking-up is inapproriate these days. You MUST hire a black artiste LOL!

As for all that shite about BCCAs versus whole food sources, water versus this versus that...

I occasionally like to have maybe seven beers an hour before a workout. True, dehydration saps one's strength and I always have to piss between sets, but the danger element is a RUSH!

DAMY