Author Topic: Woke MLB changes its records, Josh Gibson, not Ty Cobb, is all-time leader  (Read 117 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
 ::)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5525148/2024/05/28/mlb-negro-leagues-records-josh-gibson-ty-cobb/

Major League Baseball will announce on Wednesday the results of a newly integrated statistical database covering records from Negro Leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948. The formal acceptance of the data comes three-and-a-half years after MLB officially recognized the Negro Leagues as major leagues in December 2020.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk

IroNat

• Getbig V

IroNat

• Getbig V

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5525148/2024/05/28/mlb-negro-leagues-records-josh-gibson-ty-cobb/

Major League Baseball will announce on Wednesday the results of a newly integrated statistical database covering records from Negro Leagues that operated from 1920 to 1948. The formal acceptance of the data comes three-and-a-half years after MLB officially recognized the Negro Leagues as major leagues in December 2020.

AND WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE??   The Negro Leagues was a professional baseball league. If there was no segregation, all of them would have been playing in the MLB.   It would have changed stats possibly but its not relevant. 

This was a long time coming.  Ty Cobb still holds the records in the number of ass-whippings he handed out to people in the stands...lol
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

This is actually a great call. I see absolutely no problem with this.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
This is actually a great call. I see absolutely no problem with this.

Eh, minimum PAs for stats like BA, etc was 5000, and players in the negro leagues had like half of that.

For a game with such massive fluctuations due to sample size, I have issue with that.

Now, in reality, I do not care about this at all.  It doesn't really bother me one iota.  But I do feel it was unnecessary, because it really doesn't change anything, no matter how much we try to change the past and our history.
Y

IroNat

• Getbig V

AND WHY IS THIS AN ISSUE??   The Negro Leagues was a professional baseball league. If there was no segregation, all of them would have been playing in the MLB.   It would have changed stats possibly but its not relevant. 

This was a long time coming.  Ty Cobb still holds the records in the number of ass-whippings he handed out to people in the stands...lol

The Japanese Leagues are professional leagues too.  Should their stats be included?

How about Mexican and Carribean baseball leagues?

For football should the CFL records be combined with NFL records?