Author Topic: Great article on atheism.  (Read 34252 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Great article on atheism.
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
I am happy to report I have never converted anybody to anything, not that I give a fuck.  I see humanity in a slow downward spiral towards nothingness that cannot be stopped.  Next stop.  Oblivion.  All aboard.

Mind you, I have always been a glass half full type of guy.

I don't believe we're headed anywhere good either and I'm a glass overflowing with Jesus type of guy! 

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »
The universe behaves the way it does without our minds(otherwise math would not work), we know that. It is not our minds have put together the universe, it's that our minds are the first to categorize it, systemize it and make it understandable in relatable terms. Science has extended our reach, our minds are only so useful, nature is counterintuitive (quantum mechanics) hence logic, introspection etc only work so far. Without a microscope would your mind fathom the germ world? it's non-existent to you, it's out of reach of your intellect, a tool is needed. Science is that tool.

Without our personal superficial minds yes, without our cosmic mind no.

Spirituality is the tool to understand the source of life.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Oh boy, you know you do not have a leg to stand on when you start with the whole, "Give up trying to disprove claims." lol

Holy shit, you are the true definition of a stupid meathead lol.

Okay, one, atheism NEVER espouses a path. Atheism is a claim about one premise: Whether a God exists or not. Other than that, there is no specific doctrine or "path" associated with atheism. There are no rules, no holybooks, or no doctrines telling us how to live our life (like buddhism, islam, judaism, or christianity). So, to ask, "what is the purpose of atheism" is false, because atheism never espouses a specific path or purpose. It asks one question and one question only: Does a God exist? Thus, you are correct, there is no inherent purpose in Atheism, as Atheism never stated that there was one. The purpose of any Atheist is going to be drastically different from one person to the next because there are no specific doctrines to follow.

Hope this helps, dingbat.

Whats the point of that quote from Nietzsche if you don't adhere to it yourself.

You are just confirming to me that your purpose with your atheism is to try and disprove, mock and ridicule the likes of myself or anyone with religious/spiritual inclinations. It gives you a sense of meaning to do so. You cannot just be, you need the security and purpose  your conviction brings you.

Atheism does espouse a path though, a path without God. Thats what you and your mates are doing here.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
Whats the point of that quote from Nietzsche if you don't adhere to it yourself.

You are just confirming to me that your purpose with your atheism is to try and disprove, mock and ridicule the likes of myself or anyone with religious/spiritual inclinations. It gives you a sense of meaning to do so. You cannot just be, you need the security and purpose  your conviction brings you.

Atheism does espouse a path though, a path without God. Thats what you and your mates are doing here.

I do adhere to the Nietzsche quote, which is why I said there is no ONE path of atheism. There is no doctrine, no holybook, no rules, or no morals associated with atheism. There is no one way, like in Buddhism or Christianity or Judaism.

Yes, it espouses a path without God, but Atheism does not dictate morals (ten commandments), rules, policies, codes, or ways to live, like many of the other religions do. As such, there are many paths an Atheist may take--its less decided on by a specific "book." Thus, the path is more wide open for an atheist. Even MOS agrees that there are certain doctrines a Christian must abide by. No such doctrines exist like that in Atheism.

This should not be difficult to grasp. Well, maybe for you it is.  :-\ :-\
X

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
I’ll expound a bit for clarity.  You stated “believe or burn”.  I noted that demons already believe in God.  Some evil men and women that openly reject God also believe in him.  Yet despite their belief they’ll still spend an eternity in hell separated from God.  

Why?

Ok, for the purposes of clarity let me ask some questions about your position.  You’re arguing that God operates without a standard of morality?   That God has no ability to discern between right and wrong?  

You also say that there is no choice…that free will is a lie.  How do you account for your opinion?

Now given that the “lie of free will” is a “plain and simple” notion, I assume you can easily expand upon that idea (beyond the blanket statement) given how fundamentally simplistic it is, correct?  

How do you know the flames of hell are literal?   Hell is described as punishment, eternal separation, outer darkness, wailing and gnashing, a furnace, fire, burning, the grave, like Gehenna, etc….      

Above you said you have no choice….no free will.  Although now you’re granting that proposition?   Which is it?

What you’re doing is replacing “free will” with a notion of “complete autonomy” in the finite and infinite.   And you’re doing so within the Christian worldview.   Given you’re engaging and entering that worldview you’re bound by its tenets.  

You’re a finite being and within your finite existence you’ve been mercifully granted the ability to act however you please.  This life is yours to live.  Despite that, your choices will still either occur in accordance with God or in opposition to him.  The timelines for the two wills are identical, but the relationship between them can be an inverse because you are not coerced into any decision.  This discussion alone attests to that very thing.  You are not a puppet; in fact, you are the puppeteer coercing your own end.  Your will functions concurrently with God’s will, but the two can remain diametrically opposed based solely upon you because God’s will is to align with you in fellowship and righteousness…..he forever wants to pull you close to him yet you desire to push him away.

God has revealed his standards, his code of morality, his laws and ultimate justice for his creation and he has every right to do so.  His will for you is made plain, but yet you’re free to defy his will. You are not fully autonomous in God’s eternity and in order to be aligned with him you must choose his righteousness and that can only be achieved through him in the person of Jesus Christ.  

His glory, mercy, grace, peace, love and justice are there for you…..it’s God’s greatest desire that you willfully come to him, but he allows you to determine your own fate.  That “heavy consequence” is determined by you.  His will is that you come unto him in humble, faithful surrender.  Although, if your will differs he honors that and allows you to remain separate from him and all his divine attributes.  Every goodness, every mercy, every act of peace and kindness, every happiness and joy is an extension of his divine nature.  He will extract all that he is  from your eternity so that you no longer have to endure all that he is, but what is left in your eternity is the hell you’ve chosen.  Further, given you’ve willfully broken his laws via your sin you’ll face his judgment and your record will be judged accordingly.

Sounds like you have a loving mother that honors God……you’re a lucky man.  I’ve heard so many that came from horrific circumstances.  God blessing you yet again.

So Jesus Christ willfully taking on the punishment for our sins is grounded in no moral standards whatsoever?   Likewise, I paid someone else’s debt recently in order to help them avoid consequences and that act is also amoral, correct?

No, what you stated is a non sequitur.  Further, it's just your opinion.

I don’t doubt it.

I’ll expound a bit for clarity.  You stated “believe or burn”.  I noted that demons already believe in God.  Some evil men and women that openly reject God also believe in him.  Yet despite their belief they’ll still spend an eternity in hell separated from God.  

Why?

The proposition states believe or burn. If you don't not accept Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior you're doomed to eternal damnation. I " choose " not to believe in deities so by default I'm going to be punished for it. I'm choosing to decide there is NOT sufficient evidence for any deities and will no follow what I consider to be a false doctrine and live a lie not even for Pascal's wager , just in case there is.

Ok, for the purposes of clarity let me ask some questions about your position.  You’re arguing that God operates without a standard of morality?   That God has no ability to discern between right and wrong?  

I'm saying your God is amoral if he would punish his creations for the faults he designed them with. I'm saying a God who demands to be worshiped or else be punished is an amoral God and NOT worthy or praise or worship. A entity with the abilities to " create " an entire Universe/Multiverse and all life within would be so intelligent and sublime he would in no way shape or form demand to be worshiped or praised it's beneath such intelligence and this proves your God is a story based off of fallible men projecting their frail human egos unto their " God "

You also say that there is no choice…that free will is a lie.  How do you account for your opinion?

Easy , as stated the consequence for choosing not to believe. It's like like I said " Hey you want to believe cool , and if not that's cool too. " It's analogous to the Mafia who says " You have a nice store here , shame if anything would happen to it , you pay us and we'll make sure nothing happens to it. " It's do as I say or else. This isn't a choice. God says believe in me or else I will severely punish you. This amoral.

Now given that the “lie of free will” is a “plain and simple” notion, I assume you can easily expand upon that idea (beyond the blanket statement) given how fundamentally simplistic it is, correct?  

See above

How do you know the flames of hell are literal?   Hell is described as punishment, eternal separation, outer darkness, wailing and gnashing, a furnace, fire, burning, the grave, like Gehenna, etc….      
\

There is absolutely zero proof of hell or heaven, however this is how religion describes it. " A lake of fire " where you will apparently be given an indestructible so you can feel all of the torment and pain for eternity " But God loves you "

Above you said you have no choice….no free will.  Although now you’re granting that proposition?   Which is it?

No free will according to the proposition of believe or else.

What you’re doing is replacing “free will” with a notion of “complete autonomy” in the finite and infinite.   And you’re doing so within the Christian worldview.   Given you’re engaging and entering that worldview you’re bound by its tenets.

I'm not bound by anything I'm giving you clear examples of why your religion and God are amoral and not worthy of following or believing.

You’re a finite being and within your finite existence you’ve been mercifully granted the ability to act however you please.  This life is yours to live.  Despite that, your choices will still either occur in accordance with God or in opposition to him.  The timelines for the two wills are identical, but the relationship between them can be an inverse because you are not coerced into any decision.  This discussion alone attests to that very thing.  You are not a puppet; in fact, you are the puppeteer coercing your own end.  Your will functions concurrently with God’s will, but the two can remain diametrically opposed based solely upon you because God’s will is to align with you in fellowship and righteousness…..he forever wants to pull you close to him yet you desire to push him away.

According to your religion humans aren't finite the soul survives death that would make you infinite and able to survive eternally. And If you believe in God you have no free will because if you choose to push him away you are punished for it , severely !! Your God is a thug and an amoral one at that.

God has revealed his standards, his code of morality, his laws and ultimate justice for his creation and he has every right to do so.  His will for you is made plain, but yet you’re free to defy his will. You are not fully autonomous in God’s eternity and in order to be aligned with him you must choose his righteousness and that can only be achieved through him in the person of Jesus Christ.

He has every right to do so?  ::) This is exactly why people who follow him are amoral. You're an abject slave with this mentality. I " choose " not to be in his righteousness by my own " free will " and do NOT fear any punishment for it. If there is a God described by the Bible and I'm sentenced to Hell for choosing to exercise my free will he is unworthy to worship , be praised or followed. If he punishes me because I exercised my own thought processes of critical thinking , logic , reason it proves he's unworthy and amoral

His glory, mercy, grace, peace, love and justice are there for you…..it’s God’s greatest desire that you willfully come to him, but he allows you to determine your own fate.  That “heavy consequence” is determined by you.  His will is that you come unto him in humble, faithful surrender.  Although, if your will differs he honors that and allows you to remain separate from him and all his divine attributes.  Every goodness, every mercy, every act of peace and kindness, every happiness and joy is an extension of his divine nature.  He will extract all that he is  from your eternity so that you no longer have to endure all that he is, but what is left in your eternity is the hell you’ve chosen.  Further, given you’ve willfully broken his laws via your sin you’ll face his judgment and your record will be judged accordingly.

I don't want it I've chosen hell , he's unworthy of praise and worship. He's amoral. I turn my back on all of those great things he has in store for me for the simple reason of any deity who would punish you with eternal torture for exercising your own free will if amoral and a false God

Sounds like you have a loving mother that honors God……you’re a lucky man.  I’ve heard so many that came from horrific circumstances.  God blessing you yet again.

Sounds like my Mother was brainwashed by her parents and didn't have the intellectual honesty to seek out all side of the story and just believe what she was taught because she was taught it and decided to brainwash her children the same way. I however didn't brainwash my children. I let them make their own decisions when they were old enough.

I never baptized my children. My Mother once told my daughter when she was 8 that she was going to hell because she wasn't baptized. Only with religion would telling an 8 year old girl this is acceptable. This caused a HUGE rift between my Mother and I and we didn't speak for a LONG time after that. Imagine telling your 8 year old granddaughter she's going to burn forever because some " Special man didn't pour water on your head " My daughter was traumatized and that's when I let her know , God is a story in a book written by men and that hell is just a story in that book. I let my children decide for themselves if they want to believe in a deity. None of them have.

So Jesus Christ willfully taking on the punishment for our sins is grounded in no moral standards whatsoever?   Likewise, I paid someone else’s debt recently in order to help them avoid consequences and that act is also amoral, correct?

No, what you stated is a non sequitur.  Further, it's just your opinion.

I don’t doubt it.

Someone murders my child YOU or anyone else have NO right what so ever to take away that " sin " No one else can absolve them on my behalf. Vicarious redemption is amoral. A man rapes , beats and murders your child , Jesus says it's okay and if he's sincere and repents you will all be together in heaven. This is repugnant and disgusting but hey you're all in heaven and there is NO animosity or ill will it's all good we're all in the Kingdom of Heaven  ::)

You seem like a nice person but your ideology is disgusting. You seem like a intelligent person but how you can turn a blind eye to this bullshit is beyond me but that's why they call it apologetics.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
Someone murders my child YOU or anyone else have NO right what so ever to take away that " sin " No one else can absolve them on my behalf. Vicarious redemption is amoral. A man rapes , beats and murders your child , Jesus says it's okay and if he's sincere and repents you will all be together in heaven. This is repugnant and disgusting but hey you're all in heaven and there is NO animosity or ill will it's all good we're all in the Kingdom of Heaven  ::)

Yup, 100% an immoral system.

X

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »

You are just confirming to me that your purpose with your atheism is to try and disprove, mock and ridicule the likes of myself or anyone with religious/spiritual inclinations. It gives you a sense of meaning to do so. You cannot just be, you need the security and purpose  your conviction brings you.

We don't mock and ridicule you simple 'spiritual' folk to serve any purpose other than to ward of your voodoo juju wuwu, kind of like using garlic to ward of vampires.  You don't see it because you are infected with the virus, but your odious preachings are offensive to rational people.  Good thing us atheists are a tolerant bunch.  ;D
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
yeah your nihilism is the epitome of rationality  ::)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
yeah your nihilism is the epitome of rationality  ::)
It's hard to argue against the meaningless of life, is it not.
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
any man when he lives in a chronic state of depletion from excessive ejaculation will feel life as meaningless.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:40 PM »
any man when he lives in a chronic state of depletion from excessive ejaculation will feel life as meaningless.

Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.
X

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
Horse Shit.  If ejaculation is the pinnacle of physical pleasure, surely the man who drops as many loads as humanly possible wins.  Thanks for playing though.

And just for that I am going to download some fresh porn and crack me one off, God I love meaningless.  ;D
V

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »
BigHo getting lambasted in this thread.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
bunch of fucking wankers.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
bunch of fucking wankers.
BigRo, you do realise that our humble teachings are merely designed to free you from the chains that bind you.  To understand something is to be liberated from it.
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
how many ejaculations a day do you suggest to reach your level of nihilistic emptiness?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
how many ejaculations a day do you suggest to reach your level of nihilistic emptiness?
To reach the pinnacle of absolute nihilistic meaningless, I would suggest a minimum of 12 ejaculations a day.  ;D

If this amount of meaningless is too overwhelming you can always pyramid your way up to this.  Day one, 6 ejaculations, day two 7 ejaculations and so on, just add one rep each day and you too will soon experience the bliss that is utter hopelessness and meaningless.   ;)
V

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2015, 12:38:23 AM »
No, this is demonstrably wrong. The whole argument of "science is a religion" and requires "faith" is wrong. Its an argument that has been debunked time and time again.

Having "faith" that gravity exists is 100% different than having "faith" that a spirit exists.

Science is based on evidence. If that evidence should be proven wrong then the conclusion is also modified in light of the new evidence.

Believing that the universe was created or just appeared out of nothing or simply always existed simply cannot be proven. Science has shown how the universe has evolve to what we have now. But how and why it came to be is a matter of faith which by definition is a belief in something that cannot be proven.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2015, 12:45:33 AM »
The words FAITH and STUPID are interchangeable and one is often confused for the other.

One shouldn't conflate blind faith with faith. When a fighter says he is going to win his fight that is a matter of faith. But it is based on his perceived abilities and the abilities of his opponent. It's only after the fight can we speak in terms of provable facts.

When one claims that there is a creator or that the universe appeared out of nothing or just was always there then it is based on their perception and likelihood and what makes more sense to them in each respective scenarios. But it is still faith simply because neither can be proven.

It's not like one just tosses a coin to determine how the universe came to being.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2015, 12:54:36 AM »
Oh boy, you know you do not have a leg to stand on when you start with the whole, "Give up trying to disprove claims." lol

Holy shit, you are the true definition of a stupid meathead lol.

Okay, one, atheism NEVER espouses a path. Atheism is a claim about one premise: Whether a God exists or not. Other than that, there is no specific doctrine or "path" associated with atheism. There are no rules, no holybooks, or no doctrines telling us how to live our life (like buddhism, islam, judaism, or christianity). So, to ask, "what is the purpose of atheism" is false, because atheism never espouses a specific path or purpose. It asks one question and one question only: Does a God exist? Thus, you are correct, there is no inherent purpose in Atheism, as Atheism never stated that there was one. The purpose of any Atheist is going to be drastically different from one person to the next because there are no specific doctrines to follow.

Hope this helps, dingbat.

I don't think this is precise. The purpose of atheism, as with all ideologies, is to tell the truth. What they believe is true. It has no purpose in so far that, unlike religion, it doesn't tell you how you should live your life. That is a separated issue. It takes no position, in so far as it is base on the nonexistence of God, on ethical and moral positions. That's a whole other ball game.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2015, 01:14:33 AM »

Yup, 100% an immoral system.

This is something every Christian should struggle with.

Christians are more concerned with belief. Belief in Christ. You cannot "earn" your way into Heaven or that would have made Jesus' death on the cross meaningless. Judaism is more based on behavior.
You are judged by your deeds in this life. Just like how we judge others in this world.

Jesus died on the cross so our sins can be forgiven. That is very noble. But why? Why this way? Why did his only son have to die before we can be forgiven? Be forgiven for a sin that we personally didn't commit.

No Christian should be too comfortable in their beliefs. It's not enough to say that we are just too stupid or shallow to understand God. Not if we are bearing the consequences and innocent people are suffering. Not if we live in a world, a world that we did not choose to be in, that contains far more bad/evil than good. A state that was already known before hand by an omniscience and omnipotent being that foresaw this and yet still created it as such.

A Christian should struggle daily with these issues.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:04 AM »
I don't think this is precise. The purpose of atheism, as with all ideologies, is to tell the truth. What they believe is true. It has no purpose in so far that, unlike religion, it doesn't tell you how you should live your life. That is a separated issue. It takes no position, in so far as it is base on the nonexistence of God, on ethical and moral positions. That's a whole other ball game.
Yes, this is a good answer.  Atheism's only genuine concern is whether it is true there is a creator.  Because atheists tend to be reasonable, rational people who don't blindly swallow any old nonsense, they recognise there is ZERO EVIDENCE for a creator and therefore don't support the idea.  For this reason they find it impossible to CHOOSE to have FAITH, considering the overwhelming lack of evidence.  The only way such a person could choose to have faith is if they desperately needed to believe in a higher power to compensate for something they lack within in their own psyche.  In other words, it makes them feel good to believe in a fairy tale even though it is illogical and not one ounce of evidence exists to support such wishful thinking.
V

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2015, 01:46:32 AM »
This is something every Christian should struggle with.

Christians are more concerned with belief. Belief in Christ. You cannot "earn" your way into Heaven or that would have made Jesus' death on the cross meaningless. Judaism is more based on behavior.
You are judged by your deeds in this life. Just like how we judge others in this world.

Jesus died on the cross so our sins can be forgiven. That is very noble. But why? Why this way? Why did his only son have to die before we can be forgiven? Be forgiven for a sin that we personally didn't commit.

No Christian should be too comfortable in their beliefs. It's not enough to say that we are just too stupid or shallow to understand God. Not if we are bearing the consequences and innocent people are suffering. Not if we live in a world, a world that we did not choose to be in, that contains far more bad/evil than good. A state that was already known before hand by an omniscience and omnipotent being that foresaw this and yet still created it as such.

A Christian should struggle daily with these issues.

If that was true then we would have destroyed life on earth by now. The evil makes the most noise and gets on the news.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2015, 02:30:54 AM »
If that was true then we would have destroyed life on earth by now. The evil makes the most noise and gets on the news.

I don't understand how you come to this conclusion. Evil and bad is not synonymous with destruction. Sure evil/bad can cause destruction, e.g., the Holocaust. But good can also cause destruction. I consider dropping the A bomb on Japan a good thing as it ended the war.

But I tell you what, since I believe bad out weighs the good. Meaning that there is not enough good in this world to make up or nullify that bad lets go tit for tat. I present something I consider bad/evil and you present something that you think nullifies this evil.

Like for instance, say some tragedy happens in a person's life but due to that tragedy he becomes a better person and does more good in the world than he would have if it wasn't for this tragedy. The good done outweighed the bad done.

Tell you what. I'll go first. You show me something so good in this world that nullifies this evil.

http://shoebat.com/2015/02/03/watch-horrific-video-isis-burning-pow-jordanian-pilot/  

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2015, 03:12:24 AM »
I wont play this game with you. Like I said the evils in our world are more shocking and convincing than the positive. That why they make the news.

If it were not for the presence of the divine, evil would have destroyed all life on earth.

I consider dropping the nuclear bomb on Japan cowardice. They were afraid to fight man o man with the crazy Japs.