Author Topic: The Gift of Hospitality  (Read 2792 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
The Gift of Hospitality
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:05:19 AM »
Do you have the gift of hospitality?  You enjoy people invading your house, eating up your food, tracking dirt on your carpet, making more housework for you by way of cleaning and washing the sheets etc. and using their hairdryer in the bathroom that makes the fuse blow in the other bathroom?  Do you have the gift of hospitality?  Well do you >:(
R

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: The Gift of Hospitality
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
Do you have the gift of hospitality?  You enjoy people invading your house, eating up your food, tracking dirt on your carpet, making more housework for you by way of cleaning and washing the sheets etc. and using their hairdryer in the bathroom that makes the fuse blow in the other bathroom?  Do you have the gift of hospitality?  Well do you >:(
I am very hospitalble but I always set boundries. You stay...you play. Meaning you pull your weight around and do things including buying groceries, cleaning and so forth. If you don't set the boundries right away, you will regret ever having these people over your house.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »

This depends on the guests; are we talking family, friends or strangers?

Scenario: My oldest daughter works at the local library, she wants to befriend a couple (with 2 small children (one in a stroller)) that hangs around the library.We believe they are homeless because whenever we see them they are either in the park or walking around the area seemingly with no place to go. Being the Christian young lady she is, she wants to invite them over for dinner, needless to say I am having doubts eventhough I know it is the Christian thing to do BUT... I have to look out for my youngins and the safety of my household. I am torn here and I don't want to send mixed messages to my kids about being hospitable to those in need; I am a giver but this may not be safe!

Her mom (my ex) won't even consider the idea at her house.

What would you do Stella?
W

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »
I hate people comming over! I make everyone take their shoes off.  >:(
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »
This depends on the guests; are we talking family, friends or strangers?

Scenario: My oldest daughter works at the local library, she wants to befriend a couple (with 2 small children (one in a stroller)) that hangs around the library.We believe they are homeless because whenever we see them they are either in the park or walking around the area seemingly with no place to go. Being the Christian young lady she is, she wants to invite them over for dinner, needless to say I am having doubts eventhough I know it is the Christian thing to do BUT... I have to look out for my youngins and the safety of my household. I am torn here and I don't want to send mixed messages to my kids about being hospitable to those in need; I am a giver but this may not be safe!

Her mom (my ex) won't even consider the idea at her house.

What would you do Stella?
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful soft-hearted girl!

That being said as someone who has done prison ministry and also was on the board at a local homeless shelter for some years I would take them out to dinner as opposed to having them in my home.

Not that everyone is out to burn you or screw you over, but it has happened.  We had one guy get out of prison, attend promise keepers and other ministry stuff, end up asking a bunch of our friends for money and later raped a girl at knife point and his mother said we hadn't helped him enough so somehow it was our fault! ::)

He got so many years this time he'll be dead before he gets out of prison  :)

That's one reason I say take 'em out to dinner instead.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »
I hate people comming over! .  >:(
;D
Unless it's me and Red stopping by before the gig :)
R

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »
When we go to grandma's house we were always raised to take out the trash, and strip the bedsheets and pillow cases when we leave. We clean after ourselves, feed the country dogs, sweep the floors. And pick apples or potatoes, for our breakfast, greens for our dinner, and wash them. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:01:38 PM »
I hate people being in my house.  I enjoy being around people, but out... not at home.  Home is where we go to get away from people.  Close friends and family are fine in small doses, but I absolutely hate people "dropping in" unexpectedly or larger gatherings that involve people I don't know well or don't like or both.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:58:38 PM »
oops, did i do that?   :-[

oh by the way, the bottle of wine you thought you lost...sowwy

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:52 AM »
;D
Unless it's me and Red stopping by before the gig :)

Depends on your shoes  ;)
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:53 AM »
oops, did i do that?   :-[

oh by the way, the bottle of wine you thought you lost...sowwy
>:(
R

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
FINE! I'LL STOP COMING OVER.  >:(   :P
:D Weee

mbell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
I absolutely love to entertain. I don't do it often but I love it. I love to cook, bake and socialize. I love my home and I love to share it with people. That's why the holidays are such a fun time.
M

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:44 AM »
FUCK NO!!

Stay outta my house!........................ .

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
I absolutely love to entertain. I don't do it often but I love it. I love to cook, bake and socialize. I love my home and I love to share it with people. That's why the holidays are such a fun time.
See that Stella?  I'm going to mbells house, where I'm appreciated.  ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:10 PM »
See that Stella?  I'm going to mbells house, where I'm appreciated.  ;D
Fine >:(

I'll see you there! :D
R

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »
I hate people being in my house.  I enjoy being around people, but out... not at home.  Home is where we go to get away from people.  Close friends and family are fine in small doses, but I absolutely hate people "dropping in" unexpectedly or larger gatherings that involve people I don't know well or don't like or both.

Same here. My father in law dropped by unannounced on Sunday evening when I was about to chill out for the day after working in the house and he didn't fuck off until 11pm with his endless inane chatter about stupid little things that I couldn't give a fuck about. Even my wife got sick of it and finally kicked him out after I gave her evil looks for about an hour. Hospitable I am not.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 04:22:29 PM »
FUCK NO!!

Stay outta my house!........................ .

I'm gonna order a custom welcome mat that says exactly that!  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
I took the batteries out of my doorbell.   I don't answer the door unless I know you are coming. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »
I took the batteries out of my doorbell.   I don't answer the door unless I know you are coming. 

I take it that would be a big NO?  ;D
w

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »
I don't have strangers commin' a knockin' at my door to stay over, but whne I throw a party I make sure there's lot's of good food and plenty to drink, noone shall leave the house unsatiated!

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Damn it  >:(  I was ringing it for like an hour.  No wonder you never came out.   ;D