Author Topic: Political Question  (Read 1086 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Political Question
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Isn't everyone socially liberal and economically conservative?

How can you not be?

This isn't that hard

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
Re: Political Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
I'm a puritan who likes to spend other peoples' money

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
No, the two are at odds.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
That's roughly what I consider myself to be.  But I do feel that in certain circumstances being socially liberally requires me to be less economically conservative because in that situation I put more value on people than money.
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
Isn't everyone socially liberal and economically conservative?

How can you not be?

This isn't that hard
You read the political board.  You see how many morons are against gay marriage, abortion, drugs, birth control,  and tons of other things.  Dumb-Dumbs everywhere.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
More carrot, less stick.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
I'm a puritan who likes to spend other peoples' money

hahahahahahah!!!

;D

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »

I've successfully rooted out the Communist.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »

That's in Big Rossiya! Bigger than Liberty Statue in USA - guarding the vast territories of RUS.
Symbolizing the ruthless wrath Russian people are ready to lay on whoever tries to enslave them.

Never forget the price paid for Independence - the most valuable asset a nation can have !

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/why-are-states-so-red-and-blue/

Conservative thinkers like the economist Thomas Sowell and the Times columnist David Brooks have noted that the political right has a Tragic Vision of human nature, in which people are permanently limited in morality, knowledge and reason. Human beings are perennially tempted by aggression, which can be prevented only by the deterrence of a strong military, of citizens resolved to defend themselves and of the prospect of harsh criminal punishment. No central planner is wise or knowledgeable enough to manage an entire economy, which is better left to the invisible hand of the market, in which intelligence is distributed across a network of hundreds of millions of individuals implicitly transmitting information about scarcity and abundance through the prices they negotiate. Humanity is always in danger of backsliding into barbarism, so we should respect customs in sexuality, religion and public propriety, even if no one can articulate their rationale, because they are time-tested workarounds for our innate shortcomings. The left, in contrast, has a Utopian Vision, which emphasizes the malleability of human nature, puts customs under the microscope, articulates rational plans for a better society and seeks to implement them through public institutions.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »
You read the political board.  You see how many morons are against gay marriage, abortion, drugs, birth control,  and tons of other things.  Dumb-Dumbs everywhere.

Good point...  :-X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/why-are-states-so-red-and-blue/

Conservative thinkers like the economist Thomas Sowell and the Times columnist David Brooks have noted that the political right has a Tragic Vision of human nature, in which people are permanently limited in morality, knowledge and reason. Human beings are perennially tempted by aggression, which can be prevented only by the deterrence of a strong military, of citizens resolved to defend themselves and of the prospect of harsh criminal punishment. No central planner is wise or knowledgeable enough to manage an entire economy, which is better left to the invisible hand of the market, in which intelligence is distributed across a network of hundreds of millions of individuals implicitly transmitting information about scarcity and abundance through the prices they negotiate. Humanity is always in danger of backsliding into barbarism, so we should respect customs in sexuality, religion and public propriety, even if no one can articulate their rationale, because they are time-tested workarounds for our innate shortcomings. The left, in contrast, has a Utopian Vision, which emphasizes the malleability of human nature, puts customs under the microscope, articulates rational plans for a better society and seeks to implement them through public institutions.

Dead on