Author Topic: Sergio sr vs Sergio jr who would win right now both in there prime?  (Read 14601 times)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Sergio sr vs Sergio jr who would win right now both in there prime?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 07:22:55 AM »
It's very hard to compare different generations. Another big difference between the '70's and today is the judging standards. Before Frank Zane started winning the Mr. Olympia, the judges would reward physiques that had good shape and proportions over extreme definition (like Sergio and Jim Haislop). Today, it's the opposite. I've seen many local shows where the winner has very weak bodyparts like calves or arms and might have the distended gut but as long as they are the hardest one onstage and they have ripped glutes, they will most likely win the contest over another competitor who is bigger, has better balance and proportion and is still in shape but not ultra hard and grainy. Sergio Sr. used to eat foods like hot dogs, hamburgers, drink Coke, etc, all the way up to the contest sometimes. I heard in 1984 that he tried dieting much harder when he came back to compete at the Mr. Olympia and he cut back on his carbs and that's why he didn't look as good as he normally did. An older guy from Chicago told me a story about when Sergio first moved to Chicago in the early 1960's. He got a job working at a factory. The supervisor was a big bodybuilding fan and he went to the break room at lunch time to see what kind of special diet the great Sergio eats to have such a great physique. The guy was stunned to see Sergio eating Twinkies and drinking Mountain Dew for his lunch.  

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
An older guy from Chicago told me a story about when Sergio first moved to Chicago in the early 1960's. He got a job working at a factory. The supervisor was a big bodybuilding fan and he went to the break room at lunch time to see what kind of special diet the great Sergio eats to have such a great physique. The guy was stunned to see Sergio eating Twinkies and drinking Mountain Dew for his lunch.  

lots of big bodybuilding fans then, sure you got the right guy?

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »
31 yo..

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
31 yo..
Sergio Sr is shorter, thicker chest, smaller waist, lats are lower.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
johnny1 - great post.  Thanks for posting that picture.  I knew that Sergio had gotten into very good condition before, but I never knew that he had delts that feathered before.

I agree with your assessment regarding genetics.  I think it's even possible that Sergio Sr. had better genetics than Ronnie Coleman.  That's saying a lot of course, but I don't see why Sergio Sr. couldn't have put on 30-lb of muscle combined with superior conditioning with access to newer drugs and a better diet plan - perhaps with the help of a coach doing the thinking for him, just as his son has Chris Aceto for that.

Speaking of that - in order to be a diet coach in the bodybuilding industry, do you just sort of go after the big names and offer to help them, and then free-ride off the success of their work ethic?  So for example, start with someone at the Nationals level, then as your name grows, attract better and better competitors, and just give them cookie cutter diets, all the while building your own reputation?

...or are Chris Aceto and others like him as good as they say?

In any case, I think that Sergio Sr., with a diet coach, and adherence to said diet, would be able to do EXTREMELY well.
”guru’s” like chad Nicolas Chris Aceto and the others...have a place...witch should be @ the start and finishing part of contest prep etc, you got too remember guys as recently as right up too the late 1990s (most) top pros never had these type of “professionals” too help them.

Like most things nowadays we live in a world of the instant or “quick” fix people in general are a lot lazier and don’t want too put in a lot of effort too do what’s needed too get themselves where they need too be and need constant and consistent “reassurance” bye so called professional “advisors”

IMO these guys need too think more about things themselves save a shit load of cash in the meantime because if you haven’t worked out your prep-drug-training side of this bodybuilding business bye the time you reach the npc levels let alone pro levels...there’s a problem.

doggler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
            Senior :)

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »
Sergio Sr diet....Milkshakes, Canned Pork and Beans over rice...and pancakes.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Not even close
Sr wins
w

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
If both of them were on the same drug regimen, Sergio Sr. Of course. Jr. Looks good, but has high lats. Sr. arguably had the best bodybuilding genetics ever.

chess315

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
I really think a fan giving the chance to pic one body or the other you know Sr wins every time if that's not better I dont know what is

chess315

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
It doesn't take a scientist to think Sr had way more made drinking Coke and eat cake up tell the contest something about sr build just shocks a person

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »

Impressive for sure, but every time I see this shot I can't stop myself from noticing that he couldn't afford the watch bracelet adjustment....  :P

Edit: anyone on here care to identify the timepiece?

Edit #2:  actually, is it even a f**king watch?  :D
T

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »
 ;)

nycwit

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »
Senior. Because he is a real man. Junior is gayer than Elton John.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »
Impressive for sure, but every time I see this shot I can't stop myself from noticing that he couldn't afford the watch bracelet adjustment....  :P

Edit: anyone on here care to identify the timepiece?

Edit #2:  actually, is it even a f**king watch?  :D
I always thought it was a bracelet with a medallion type face.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 04:59:39 AM »
Senior, with a friend:

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »
Junior, in the gym:

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 06:16:30 AM »
I always thought it was a bracelet with a medallion type face.

Yep, you're clearly correct - thank you - I have booked an eye exam.  :)
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »
Senior, with a friend:

Those pants are hi-cut.... wonder what size neck they are...?

T

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
This is a great thread & this is an old article but apply
Sergio & his greatest attributes instead of Arnold.
This applies to if Arnold (or Sergio) were competing today
with today's standards and protocols. Not the 70's versions.

By Geoff Roberts

The best comparison to Arnold in the sport today in terms of a single physique in my mind would be Cedric McMillan. Assuming Cedric did or does the 2013 Olympia and he is in any kind of shape, it’s safe to say that your attention would be pulled towards his physique due to his height, width, lack of distention, and roundness. These are all attributes Arnold also possessed in strides in his prime. As imposing a figure as Cedric may be on stage, thoughts of a modern day Arnold gives imposing a whole new meaning with his Looney Tunes arms, pecs that each resemble 72-ounce steaks, and cannonball delts that would make me want to visit Gettysburg.
The classic vacuum pose is disappearing as fast as our rainforests today and nobody hit a vacuum like Arnold did, even when he weighed over 240 pounds, from the side his waist appeared to be only a few inches thick. This said, I fully believe with the right precautions Arnold would still have his nutty vacuum pose at over 280 pounds which would be astounding. In comparing a modern Arnold to Cedric it’s safe to say that Arnold would outdo Cedric in all of these shared attributes and take every pose outside of the rear lat spread.

In the Olympia first call out, assuming the top guys were all on their game, Arnold may not only be the tallest and heaviest competitor, but also the only one with the ability to hit a legitimate vacuum pose. It’s hard to say whether or not Arnold's weaknesses would still be weaknesses with modern knowledge and technology, however it’s only fair to assume they would be for the sake of this argument. With this in mind, Arnold would be vulnerable from the back, especially the back lat spread which is why finding a picture of Arnold hitting a back lat spread is similar to winning the lottery.

This is only one pose, however, and I personally feel his monster arms and delts would keep him above water in the back double bi. As far as the front shots it’s hard for me to imagine the show being anything but “lights out” for any competitor onstage not named Arnold. In Arnold's most muscular at a grainy 282 pounds his delts, arms, and chest would look like two shaved Belgian blue bulls all wrapped up in numerous pythons attempting to constrict them to death.

Who would win this epic battle – Phil looking like something even a cartoonist would say is unrealistic, Branch looking like he carbed-up on QUIKRETE (Aceto line), Jay looking as though he must have custom-made wide doors in order to fit through them, Big Ramy making the scale moan under 285 pounds at only 5'10” with a small waist, or Kai looking as dense as a scalding meteor pummeling towards earth?

Rather than beat a dead horse and attempt to mathematically compare waist sizes, arm sizes (if Arnold's arms were 22-plus inches at 240 pounds, what would they measure at 290 pounds?) etc., why don’t you go ahead and find a photo of Arnold's 1974 front double biceps and attempt to imagine him with modern day grainy conditioning. Oh, yeah, and 40-plus pounds of extra muscle evenly distributed over his physique. If the image this creates in your head does not evoke considerable chills down your spine you're either clinically blind or just simply not a true fan of bodybuilding!

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »
Senior, in 1971:

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
Junior, in the gym:

hes put on alot of weight really fast. he was much smaller a few years ago
real men= no rubbers

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2017, 07:16:40 AM »
hes put on alot of weight really fast. he was much smaller a few years ago

Most people that get with Aceto and improve rapidly for a while.
Guy knows his stuff & been helping people since at least 91.
Lately, he's gotten on this kick of bringing in people super full
& it's had more misses than hits. Hopefully, he'll go back to
condition 1st like Sergio Jr. in New York. Cedric won a weak Arnold
but didn't have a visible striation in his chest. Honestly, I think
Arnold was more conditioned in Pumping Iron overall than Cedric at the Arnold.