Author Topic: Stiff legged Deadlifts/ Romanian Deadlifts  (Read 7290 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Stiff legged Deadlifts/ Romanian Deadlifts
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
I find using Dumbbells much better on these. I feel my Hamstrings more than with a Bar. I am sure with this exercise itīs more about form and feeling the stretch.. i see too many guys lifting heavy weight and still getting poor results.. I like the feel of Dumbbells.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Stiff legged Deadlifts/ Romanian Deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
I find using Dumbbells much better on these. I feel my Hamstrings more than with a Bar. I am sure with this exercise itīs more about form and feeling the stretch.. i see too many guys lifting heavy weight and still getting poor results.. I like the feel of Dumbbells.
dumbells are good,,i use bar and your right and i sometimes feed my ego going to heavy on them,,,,i'll start 135 feels great and pumped already after 10/12 reps,,,then 185 same thing great,,,225 still comfortable and repping 10 or so,,i then end 275 for 8 grinding but i loose that'feel'so i guess for me 225/245-250 would suffice but ego 275 comes in  :-\,,,,

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
i was recently focusing on db SLD's and they basically made my lats grow :o

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
i was recently focusing on db SLD's and they basically made my lats grow :o
HEY,,, WORKS THEM AND TRAPS INDIRECTLY.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
HEY,,, WORKS THEM AND TRAPS INDIRECTLY.

yeah man i know, but it's just such a shot and limited range of movement for the lats there, so i'm suprised about the growth, particullary as they caused more "upper lat" gowth

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
yeah man i know, but it's just such a shot and limited range of movement for the lats there, so i'm suprised about the growth, particullary as they caused more "upper lat" gowth
ALL IN ALL THATS WHAT MAKES TRAINING FUN,,,,

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »
Lats and traps grow (more so if a shrug or semi hi-pull is included at the top of each rep) because of the stretch/pull of the exercise. The bar is only being held in position, with most forms of the DL. Which may suggest the value of the static hold for increasing strength and size.  

With the Romanian Dl (where the back is flat, lower back set and a slight break at the knees), it allows a limited forward bend of around 90 degrees,  very serious weight can be worked up to.  Lot of power guy's set the rack pins/or boxes for the bar rather than a hang grip type movement.  With this short ROM, most BB'ers could get to 400 plus without that much problem. 500's plus is not out of the question for some who work with serious intent. The GoodMorning exercise is another great movement , in the class of the Romanian & SLDL.  Any one of these should increase the squatting abilities very well indeed.

The SLDL requires more of a rounded position of the back. Actually most BB'ers who think they are doing a proper regular DL, are actually doing a partial SLDL, if they would look at a video of themselves working out.  A too rounded back puts undo pressure on the small of the back.  I prefer the Romanian DL, just a personal choice. Though have used the SLDL, heavily in the past.

If doing either Romanian, SLDL or GoodMorings for the ham stretch, than suggested that the toes be put on a 2X4, pair of 45's, set books, etc for a much better stretch on the hams and the calves. Lighter weights advised, not meant for truly heavy lifting.  Good Luck.

F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
hey jpm, what do you think about this idea/concept of "the indirect effect"?

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »

I always preferred db for this exercise cause I didn't feel a need to be elevated on some sort of platform.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
hey jpm, what do you think about this idea/concept of "the indirect effect"?
I would like to know too..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
"The indirect effect" is the basic principle of biological functions and insured balance.   Really Physiology 101.  The body works as a whole, never in a individual or isolated manner.

If only doing two arm BB curls, the triceps will be affected also. If only doing these curl for one arm only, never working the opposite arm, that non worked arm (opposite) will also be affected, but to a very slight gain, encounter some muscular growth.  If only doing chins, the spinal erectors/small of the lower back, glutes/hips/legs and abs are affected.  Probably the most called upon ( in most exercises or everyday activities) are these spinal erectors muscles.

Using the approach of the compound movements (two or more joints involved), you are given a much better chance of progressive  gains. The metabolism (natural chemical engineering and control center) is highly stimulated , as is the CNS  (central nervous system).......both a cornerstone of strength and cell growth. One of the reasons that serious squatting (for example) can increase muscular bwr and strength so much better than leg extensions/leg presses.  Squats will add size to the upper body as well as the legs. The pullover and press (ultimate upper body movement..personal view only) will add impesssive size to the lats, chest, delts, triceps & abs. And stimulate all over body growth.

Extensive subject, but just to note that with some compound exercise, a higher reps range is encouraged but a lower set requirement is used. The only time that failure is achieve is in these 1 or 2 set max effort programs. Never in general BB'ing. Good Luck.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »
free weights allow the body mechanically to perform an exercise and also incorporate a muscle or group of muscle to assist in therefor additional growth to the assisting bodyparts worked as well,,,a machine for the most part works the main muscle mostly due to being locked into a more stable range of motion without any variance in form or leverage.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:56 AM »
you will never beat a set of free weights ...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
njflex:  No dis intended but you seem to be misguided and missing the whole understanding of how the body preforms and handles any workload; free weights or machines. Being locked into a single exercise pattern (in some cases the way certain equipment is poorly designed) may be doing more harm than good to the  joints and inserts of the body. But than again, do what you think is best for your future BB'ing success. Good luck.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »
njflex:  No dis intended but you seem to be misguided and missing the whole understanding of how the body preforms and handles any workload; free weights or machines. Being locked into a single exercise pattern (in some cases the way certain equipment is poorly designed) may be doing more harm than good to the  joints and inserts of the body. But than again, do what you think is best for your future BB'ing success. Good luck.
GET UR POINT ,,,,JUST TOSSED MY 2CENTS THATS ALL ....YOU SEEM MORE PROFICENT IN EXPLANATION OF ALL THINGS CONSIDERED HERE,,,I JUST TRAIN ,FOLLOW BEST FORM I BEEN USING FOR LONG TIME AND LET REST FOLLOW,,,I'VE BEEN FOR THE MOST PART INJURY FREE AND NEVER MISSED ANY TRAINING TIME OVER 2 DECADES...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
njflex:  As I've said many, many times before;  if it works for you, it works for you  and that's all you want in the first place..  What ever systems, results are the bottom line. So glad to see your making results with the way your training is planned.  Good Luck

Side Bar: When I come on this board, it's not so much directing to anyone  individual, but all the other guy's who come to the training board. Just some experience and personal views on training....whatever.  Always good to have a give and take on any workout protocol.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
njflex:  As I've said many, many times before;  if it works for you, it works for you  and that's all you want in the first place..  What ever systems, results are the bottom line. So glad to see your making results with the way your training is planned.  Good Luck

Side Bar: When I come on this board, it's not so much directing to anyone  individual, but all the other guy's who come to the training board. Just some experience and personal views on training....whatever.  Always good to have a give and take on any workout protocol.
FAIR ENOUGH U CARRY YOURSELF AS A GENTLEMAN AND APPRECIATE YOUR TAKE,,NO OFFENSE ON MY END,,,

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:13 AM »
Gentlemen..... ;D  itīs the points made from everyone that makes the big picture. I train with free weights while i train at home. I did like in a gym using Hammer strength machines. They were nice to integrate into my routine. Now i use basics... chins,BB rows,DB rows,Deadlifts,squats and so forth... I also have to say you BOTH write good posts, Jpm and njflex(you have more than enough knowledge too). I like to have my fun on here but the Training threads i take serious..

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
I'd like to catch a workout with jpm someday.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
I prefer using dumbells over a barbell for SLD's as well.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
i like the stiff leg sumo deadlift as well