Author Topic: Boxing Legends  (Read 29122 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Boxing Legends
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »
Two Boxers who i liked were Jim Watt of Glasgow Scotland and the Great Irish boxer Barry McGuigan.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Boxing Legends
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:23:58 AM »
Jim Watt...

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:37:20 AM »
Carl Thompson and Steve Collins were under rated in recent times imo.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:11:40 AM »
Herol Graham, best boxer to never win a world title in any weight division.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:24:58 AM »
I always felt calzage didn't get the kudos he deserved

guy was the pound for pound champ at one time I reckon

beat everyone they put in front of him
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 03:34:23 AM »
I always felt calzage didn't get the kudos he deserved

guy was the pound for pound champ at one time I reckon

beat everyone they put in front of him
Agreed, I didnt like his pitter patter style when he came on the scene but he turned out to be a true warrior, got tagged and came back slugging.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:01 AM »
Not really a Calzaghe fan tbh.

He had some good wins but spent too long in the wilderness doing nothing apart from defending a worthless belt.
He eventually took some bigger fights but even then, didn't always take the best ones that were available at the time. I found him frustrating more then anything since he was talented no doubt.

Mr. No

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:44 AM »
Rocky Balboa was good.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
Not really a Calzaghe fan tbh.

He had some good wins but spent too long in the wilderness doing nothing apart from defending a worthless belt.
He eventually took some bigger fights but even then, didn't always take the best ones that were available at the time. I found him frustrating more then anything since he was talented no doubt.

the americans avoided him because he wasn't box office over there

he was a nice guy didn't fit in to the scene

as a pure technical boxer he was amazing

good power and a great chin too
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »

His taking apart of Jeff Lacey was one of the best boxing displays I have seen.
Lacy thought he was going to walk through Calzaghe.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:00 AM »

But America was and is the heart of boxing and the big stars were American at the time. The honus was on Calzaghe to make a name of himself by going to the states to fight them like what Hatton did. Someone like Jones was not going to travel to Europe to fight an alphabet title holder much in the same way Mayweather wouldn't come to the UK just to fight Brook.

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:47 AM »
But America was and is the heart of boxing and the big stars were American at the time. The honus was on Calzaghe to make a name of himself by going to the states to fight them like what Hatton did. Someone like Jones was going to travel to Europe to fight an alphabet title holder much in the same way Mayweather wouldn't come to the UK just to fight Brook.

No, not like what Hatton did at all.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:36 AM »
No, not like what Hatton did at all.

Hatton did at least chase the big fights. You can't take that away from him. 
He should have fought Witter though.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 04:41:44 AM »
But America was and is the heart of boxing and the big stars were American at the time. The honus was on Calzaghe to make a name of himself by going to the states to fight them like what Hatton did. Someone like Jones was not going to travel to Europe to fight an alphabet title holder much in the same way Mayweather wouldn't come to the UK just to fight Brook.

boxing is all politics

calzage could get 5000 welsh fans if he fought in wales

big money

they still ducked him because they knew he would pick the apart

like simon says he made lacey his bitch and everyone said he would walk through him
T

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 04:51:23 AM »

At the time there was only Roy Jones , who wanted to move up in weights anyway... Calazaghi would have struggled with Jones as a super middle, he had the beating of everyone else, Ben and Eubank have stated this many times.. Id still back callazaghi against anyone, he always found a way, and actualy moved up the gears when the opponent was better

My favourite scotish boxer was Scott Harrison, shame he was such a self destructive piss head

Nazeem was much better than he was given credit for, he beat him self in the end by training lazy and surrounding him self with yes men, soon as any boxer fires the coach that got him there you know it won't end well

Fave British fighter for me, Nigel Ben, hands down most exciting... Not saying he he had the beating of everyone, but he'd die trying

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »
At the time there was only Roy Jones , who wanted to move up in weights anyway... Calazaghi would have struggled with Jones as a super middle, he had the beating of everyone else, Ben and Eubank have stated this many times.. Id still back callazaghi against anyone, he always found a way, and actualy moved up the gears when the opponent was better

My favourite scotish boxer was Scott Harrison, shame he was such a self destructive piss head

Nazeem was much better than he was given credit for, he beat him self in the end by training lazy and surrounding him self with yes men, soon as any boxer fires the coach that got him there you know it won't end well

Fave British fighter for me, Nigel Ben, hands down most exciting... Not saying he he had the beating of everyone, but he'd die trying
Nigel Benn was an ex Fusilier or so i was told. He trained with a Guy i met from the 2nd Battalion,2nd Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers) called George. He told me he sparred with him. George was a big guy with hands like shovels. He did some Door work here in Celle, was a good guy i never knew his second name. The 2nd Battalion was stationed here in Trenchard Barracks. I worked in the camp at the time.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »
Cocky...but good in his prime.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 05:47:11 AM »
I know pretty much everything about boxing.

Perhaps more than is actually healthy.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
I know pretty much everything about boxing.

Perhaps more than is actually healthy.

post your thoughts up n some british boxers then
T

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 06:15:54 AM »
boxing is all politics

calzage could get 5000 welsh fans if he fought in wales

big money

they still ducked him because they knew he would pick the apart

like simon says he made lacey his bitch and everyone said he would walk through him

What makes you think they ducked him? He was, up until the Lacy fight, just seen as another Europeon based fighter clinging onto a pointless title and padding up a record against z-list opponents. He would have been viewed no differently to the German based guys like Michalczewski (under rated), Erdei, Ottke etc.
If Cazlaghe felt he was being ducked then he should have gone to the US, fought some divisional gatekeepers and got himself noticed.

Look how Khan went about his business. The moment he beat Kotelnik he went straight to America and took on Malignaggi.

I like boxers who take risks and take on the best available fights. For all his talent, Calzaghe didn't do this. The fact it took him 10 years to unify says it all.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:03 AM »
What makes you think they ducked him? He was, up until the Lacy fight, just seen as another Europeon based fighter clinging onto a pointless title and padding up a record against z-list opponents. He would have been viewed no differently to the German based guys like Michalczewski (under rated), Erdei, Ottke etc.
If Cazlaghe felt he was being ducked then he should have gone to the US, fought some divisional gatekeepers and got himself noticed.

Look how Khan went about his business. The moment he beat Kotelnik he went straight to America and took on Malignaggi.

I like boxers who take risks and take on the best available fights. For all his talent, Calzaghe didn't do this. The fact it took him 10 years to unify says it all.

by khans time they had learned their lesson

would you rather fight for 50000 fans in wales

or go on the undercard at some shitty American show fighting bums

or go and fight the champ in america for 10 percent of the purse

also at that time you have to remember there was a lot of competition in the uk

a lot of great high level fighters about

his toughest fight of his career was probably against robin reid

who could have been given the nod was that close
T

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »
I think frank warren played a big part in holding calazaghi and Hatton back, he made sure he made his money many tines over before they took on 50/50 fights

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
post your thoughts up n some british boxers then

Ok mate, erm

I think perhaps right now one of our finest fighters to recently join the professional ranks in the last couple of years, is probably Joe Costello.

As an amatuer he was the youngest fighter to win the European gold. As a schoolboy at circa 43kg's he was rated as the no1 in the world.

He's just turned over at lightweight with Frank Warren, and upon his debut, against the super-durable Yusef Al Hamida.

Don't let Hamidi's record fool you, he comes to deliberately lose - but sometimes when he is pissed off, he will turn you over. I'd guess that most of you have seen Anthony Crolla? well Hamidi handed him his first loss. I'm sure a few have heard of Manchester's John Murray too? on the Froch undercard he got his ass handed to him by Hamidi and how he scored a win, nobody could believe it. Only 1 guy from 87 fights has ever stopped Hamidi, and that was a prime Michael Gomez who did him in three rounds.

Costello flattened him in a round without breaking a sweat. Costello is still very green and raw as a professional, but I think he could be one to watch, definitely.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:14 AM »
I think frank warren played a big part in holding calazaghi and Hatton back, he made sure he made his money many tines over before they took on 50/50 fights

I think Warren played a part but Calzaghe has to take some blame too. When they eventually split, Calzaghe took on a washed up Jones rather then the more credible fighters available at the time (Hopkins rematch, Dawson, Pavlik etc).

would you rather fight for 50000 fans in wales

The thing is, Calzaghe was only selling out the big stadiums towards the end of his career. Most of his bouts in Cardiff prior to the Lacy fight were in front of crowds of around 5-7000. He wasn’t really a major draw until he unified.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 06:56:12 AM »
Internationally, another tidy pick is Puerto Rico's Felix Verdejo.

He cites fellow countrymen Miguel Cotto and Tito Trinidad as his inspiration. 15-0 so far , 11 stoppages - and he definitely has a really exciting pro style. He's signed with Top Rank and I'd also tip him for interesting things in the future as long as he keeps his head down.

My pick from 2006 has finally arrived on the big stage (GGG) and my tip for 2010 in Kovalev has now finally on the verge of a marquee fight with Bernard Hopkins on boxnation next month. The station is looking really good value right now, as they offer up that fight, plus Pacquiao vs Algeri and then Fury vs Chisora (and Billy Joe Saunders vs Chris Eubank jr as chief support) - all for just £12.00

Whereas Sky is wanting £17.00 for a fight between Clev and Bellew. Two light heavies who failed on the world stage, and now fight at cruiser with no title on the line. Sky Subcribers are expected to pay this money in addition to their £23.50 sports subs, on top of their base subscription cost. It's a poor approach from Matchroom and I hope it's a failure out of principle.

Edit - sorry, continuing from Golovkin and Kovalev as my previous big tips - watch out for 6-0 Artur Beterbiev who is from the same mould.