Author Topic: Multi-Vitamin Cancer Story  (Read 1177 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Multi-Vitamin Cancer Story
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:55:28 PM »
"Heavy multivitamin use may be linked to advanced prostate cancer"

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-05/jotn-mu051007.php

Although it applies to those who take it more than 7 times per week, it is nevertheless a disturbing story.  Use in extreme moderation.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
Re: Multi-Vitamin Cancer Story
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »
Yeah, but most people are too stupid to realize that more is not better when it comes to vitamins and minerals  ::)

Multi-vitamins intrinsically are perfectly fine and an excellent addition to anyone's diet so long as you stay below the UL.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:18:20 PM »
What a joke.

Cancer is an anaerobic disease that occurs when the DNA helix bends or mutates. I would love for a scientist to prove that vitamins cause the genetic template to mutate.

They are trying to ban/restrict supplements again. Known cancer causing agents like cigarrettes are still legal even though they have killed millions.

Next, they will say that whey and creatine are deadly and should be outlawed. But Alcohol (millions addicted) will be protected along with cigarettes (millions addicted).

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »
I'm tossing out my vitamins and not buying them again until I actually see some research that indicates they are safe AND are beneficial.  They have never been proven to be beneficial; they sound great in theory but just don't seem to do much when they hit the human body.  I've also not taken them for about 4 months anyway and don't feel any different.  I have to say that the cons outweight the pros (none) for multivitamin supplementation.  I also smoke on & off so it's definitely a no for me after reading this:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2007/05/14/the_fading_allure_of_vitamins/?page=1

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:11:16 PM »
I'm tossing out my vitamins and not buying them again until I actually see some research that indicates they are safe AND are beneficial.  They have never been proven to be beneficial; they sound great in theory but just don't seem to do much when they hit the human body.  I've also not taken them for about 4 months anyway and don't feel any different.  I have to say that the cons outweight the pros (none) for multivitamin supplementation.  I also smoke on & off so it's definitely a no for me after reading this:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2007/05/14/the_fading_allure_of_vitamins/?page=1

hhaahah that study and article is pure pseudoscience, cant beleive you look at articles on the net for science. Go to pubmed and type in multivitamins and whatever disease you want, you will find the research your looking for.

echinacea is a proven immunomodulator with anti-microbial activity. read some real research and not media hogwash.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:31:55 AM »
hhaahah that study and article is pure pseudoscience, cant beleive you look at articles on the net for science. Go to pubmed and type in multivitamins and whatever disease you want, you will find the research your looking for.

echinacea is a proven immunomodulator with anti-microbial activity. read some real research and not media hogwash.

Go to pubmed?  I have news for you...that article referencing multivitamins and prostate cancer will show up in PubMed (it was published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute and is currently the first article to pop up in PubMed when searching for multivitamins!), it has a very large sample size (almost 300,000...how many are in these echinacea studies?  20?) with a robust statistical method.  The only downside is the somewhat large confidence intervals, but they certainly indicate an increased risk.  In fact, going to PubMed and searching for multivitamins won't find you much support for use in healthy adults.  They work well if you have AIDS though.  Here is what NIH said last year on them:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2006/od-17.htm

Pay attention to this:
“More than half of American adults are taking dietary supplements, the majority of which are MVMs, and the bottom line is that we don’t know for sure that they’re benefiting from them. In fact, we’re concerned that some people may be getting too much of certain nutrients,” said J. Michael McGinnis, M.D., M.P.P., Senior Scholar with the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, who chaired the panel."

Also, why are you even bringing up echinacea?  It's not a vitamin. 

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
What a joke.

Cancer is an anaerobic disease that occurs when the DNA helix bends or mutates. I would love for a scientist to prove that vitamins cause the genetic template to mutate.

It does because of the harsh reactions the antioxidants causes when it meets free radicals. You don't want to make your body a battle field filled with byproducts from chemical reactions. Be careful with vitamins.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:45:37 AM »
I think it's better to rid of the free radicals and other chemicals and byproducts by cleans like sweating or fasting etc. To stuff a polluted body with vitamins and such can be bad news.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
It does because of the harsh reactions the antioxidants causes when it meets free radicals. You don't want to make your body a battle field filled with byproducts from chemical reactions. Be careful with vitamins.

so loosing and avoiding the battle with free radicals is better?? haha what a crack of shit. thats like if you have a cancer that can be cured, but you dont cure it for the sake of avoiding the battle with free radicals. 

multivitamin is the same as vitamins from vegetables. so eating a lot of vegetables is bad for the health? ::)  some people need more than others princess L , some people do hard jobs that recquires more vitamins and energy then others, so you cant decide for everyone how much vitamins he should take , right?

i ve taken each day a strong pil of multi vit/min for the past year, sometimes 2.  that article is based on nothing, where is the proof that its abd for the health?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
Most Multi's are synthetic garbage. You need to find ones that are raw, organic food based...like the ones from UltraLife or Synergistics which are made for specific metabolic types. Most vitamins and minerals can actually cancel each other out and never get utilized. Also, certain nutrients, minerals and vitamins get utilized in different parts of the body. Just because you take a vitamin you automatically think it gets absorbed...it doesn't!! You need it's synergistic components to be utilized. Calcium actually prevents absorption of many minerals...