Author Topic: Cop who wrote ‘jungle monkey’ email sues Boston mayor for violating his civil ri  (Read 745 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
The Boston police officer who was suspended last week for describing Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., as a “banana-eating jungle monkey” in an email to a local newspaper is suing the Boston Police Department and the city’s mayor for infringing on his civil rights and causing him — among other things — “emotional distress” and “post-traumatic stress.”

According to a report in the Boston Globe, Justin Barrett’s lawsuit accuses the city and the police department of “conspiring to intentionally inflict emotional distress and conspiring to intentionally interfere with the property rights, due process rights, and civil rights of the plaintiff.’’

The lawsuit says Boston’s mayor and police chief caused Barrett “pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, post-traumatic stress, sleeplessness, indignities and embarrassment, degradation, injury to reputation, and restrictions on personal freedom.”

Boston Mayor Tom Menino called Barrett a “cancer” that “doesn’t have any place in the department” after it was revealed Barrett had sent a letter to the Boston Globe criticizing the paper’s coverage of the arrest of Henry Louis Gates, Jr., last month.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
was this email sent from his personal computer or a computer owned by the police department?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Ah yes, America, the land of the free and the home of the law suits

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
LOL how do you conspire to intentionally inflict emotional distress? Inflicting emotional distress requires intentionally or recklessly engaging in an action that is so offensive, it exceeds the bounds of all civilized society, and as a result, the victim suffers severe distress. How you can prove that two people conspired (in a civil case no less) to engage in an intentional tort where there was no actual harm is beyond my comprehension. Especially since the person allegedly harmed was fired for sending a racist letter to a newspaper.

Then again it is Boston. ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good grief.  What a sissy. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
Good grief.  What a sissy. 

With the monster overreaction of the UH Coach we are turning into a nation of over sensitive sissies.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
With the monster overreaction of the UH Coach we are turning into a nation of over sensitive sissies.   

No doubt.  These guys need to man up. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.

meh..."monster over reaction" to you...."hedging a larger shitstorm and good possibility of UE after my contract is over", for him

some people just dont get it  :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
meh..."monster over reaction" to you...."hedging a larger shitstorm and good possibility of UE after my contract is over", for him

some people just dont get it  :-\

Please elaborate what people don't get

tonymctones

• Getbig V
was this on his own time and his own comp or on company time?