Author Topic: Suits  (Read 2513 times)

MoralMan

• Getbig III
Suits
« on: June 20, 2006, 02:54:20 PM »
Dear friends
Kind regards

I hate all this suit nonsense.
Its made a mockery of what should be a great sport.
A guy at my gym squats 150kg raw yet with a suit he does 240kg.
Thats  a 90kg increase!
Yet he goes round telling people he does a 240kg squat when he doesnt!
He squats 150kg.
His cheat suit does the rest.
Lifting suits should be banned.

Yours thankfully
John

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Suits
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »
ever heard "if you can't beat them, join them"?

that is what is happening in power lifting...

8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
Dear friends
Kind regards

Thats  a 90kg increase!
He squats 150kg.

Yours thankfully
John

Is this person a competative powerlifter or is he one of the schmucks who wears a suit in the gym to feel manly?  To me those are two very, very different situations.

JK

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:46:11 AM »
Dear Vet
Kind regards

He is a competitive powerlifter.
He competed at the British championships this past weekend in Maidstone, Kent, Uk.
Yours thankfully
John

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
Dear Vet
Kind regards

He is a competitive powerlifter.
He competed at the British championships this past weekend in Maidstone, Kent, Uk.
Yours thankfully
John

Ok, thank you. 

I personally don't mind the suits simply because I'm a fan of the mega numbers that are out there.  I don't like double or triple layers, and to be honest, I've never once even put on this type of suit, but I think heavy denim or canvass are OK.  We all know the 1000+ lb bench presses and 1200+ lb squats are a farce, but its entertaining to watch them.   At the same time I respect the hell out of powerlifters such as Brian Siders, Donnie Tompson, Mike Miller, and Scott Mendleson who aren't afraid to get out of the suit and lift in just a belt and wraps.  Those guys have the gumption to prove themselves both ways. 

I personally do the majority of my training without any gear other than a belt and older knee wraps (as I get older, my knees are bothering me. The wraps really seem to help with the aches) and a pair of relatively loose briefs (which I feel help to protect my hips to a degree). 

I really think the best approach is to have the "suited" and the "raw" contests.  Let people show their numbers in the way they like to.  If someone is bragging about their 240Kg squat--which lets be serious for a minute, unless this person is a lightweight or a middleweight, really isn't that much weight in the first place---you can always ask them if it was "raw".  That gives you a degree of satisfaction if they say no. 

JK

LiftBig

• Getbig III
  • POWERLIFTING...Lift heavy or go home
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 05:13:19 AM »
Dear friends
Kind regards

Thats  a 90kg increase!
He squats 150kg.

Yours thankfully
John

You dont like it...then dont wear one.  Worry about yourself and not what other can do or say.
It's good to be strong...

bruno17

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:23:18 PM »
I agree that the suits are takeing the real sport of lifting out, but they do post some big numbers.  I wore a suit the other day. I benched 500lb with ease, but I don't call myself a 500lb bencher. I am a 425lb raw bencher. I want to see all these guys bench, squat, and deadlift without any gear on and trhen we will see how strong they are. This excluding all the guys mentioned above.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 02:35:22 PM »
I agree that the suits are takeing the real sport of lifting out, but they do post some big numbers.  I wore a suit the other day. I benched 500lb with ease, but I don't call myself a 500lb bencher. I am a 425lb raw bencher. I want to see all these guys bench, squat, and deadlift without any gear on and trhen we will see how strong they are. This excluding all the guys mentioned above.

damn, you got 75 pounds on your bench out of a suit???

i need to try that!!!!

8)