Author Topic: Anybody here do any backyard metal casting?  (Read 562 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Anybody here do any backyard metal casting?
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
I've been thinking about doing this and wondered if anybody here had any experience in sand casting on the hobby level.  I want to cast some shit in brass and would like to talk to others who have experience with this.  Been reading my ass off on the subject but it would be nice to hear from anybody that might have some time in on doing it before I get going.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Anybody here do any backyard metal casting?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »
No, but I've done similar shit.  Sounds cool, something i'd like to try as well.

I'm wanting to get into it just because I need some casted parts that I'm being quoted stupid high prices for on by others.  So I started looking into the prospect of doing it all myself and or thinking of even starting a foundry for it.  The whole concept of sand casting alloys and metals is really pretty simple and a lot of people do it in their back yards, but there is a great deal of factors that can effect how it's done and how your casting comes out.  

Casting Aluminum seems to be the starting stage for most people as it melts at a lower temp and has fewer problems to deal with, but I need to have my parts cast in yellow brass.

There's some really cool sand casting vids on youtube if you want to search them.  Most of which give you the needed info on casting aluminum.  There are greater dangers in casting brass, with the zinc boiling and fumes that will fuck you up, which I have not found on youtube.  

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
Sand/clay casting has been around for thousands of year and can be a little tricky if new to it. Probably would want to get some hands on experience before trying any of that alone. Video's always look too simple at times. The quality of the base material used will be pretty important, so should have a working idea of base metals. And a lot of that stuff can be toxic when combined with other elements.

Any jr adult colleges or craft centers offering classes around you? (extras bonus meeting women ) Lot of classes out here in SoCal. Most will start small with your own custom casted jewelry in fine sand or clay.  Best to learn while doing or you might be able to make the parts you want right there in class. If your making 100lb plates, than maybe not,
F

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
did a butt load of it in high school metal shop with a foundry, pretty cool but your probably going to need other tools and machinery if you want to clean your casts up nice. I guess it depends on what your casting and why your casting it.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »
I've been thinking about doing this and wondered if anybody here had any experience in sand casting on the hobby level.  I want to cast some shit in brass and would like to talk to others who have experience with this.  Been reading my ass off on the subject but it would be nice to hear from anybody that might have some time in on doing it before I get going.
your balls? ;D
A