Author Topic: no power needed to maintain magnetic feild? how long does it remain after  (Read 2584 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
current?

here is a copy and paste this is very interesting stienmetz claims of a magnetic field in the wire after the power is shut off

"to produce magnetic feild of the current, voltage must be consumed in the circuit wich with the current gives the power wich supplies the stored energy of the magnetic field. this voltage is called inductance voltage or voltage consumed by self induction.

Since no power is required to maintain the field but power is required to produce it the inductance voltage must be proportional to the increase of the magnetic field"
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
the same goes for the dielectric field even when the power is shut off!
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Maybe ferric materials present are magnetized to some degree by the electrically induced field and provide a residual effect.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Maybe ferric materials present are magnetized to some degree by the electrically induced field and provide a residual effect.
for how long less than a second or few seconds?
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I don't have access to the instrumentation required to quantify these data.  But I'm guessing a slight degree of magnetism would be permanently induced in iron until something acts to demagnetize it.  Maybe that residual field would be stronger immediately after shutting off the current while those portions of iron which aren't destined to remain aligned still do so momentarily.

I think I remember magnetizing paperclips by running a magnet over them several times.  The paperclip itself took on weak magnetic properties.  We made our own fun.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
I don't have access to the instrumentation required to quantify these data.  But I'm guessing a slight degree of magnetism would be permanently induced in iron until something acts to demagnetize it.  Maybe that residual field would be stronger immediately after shutting off the current while those portions of iron which aren't destined to remain aligned still do so momentarily.

I think I remember magnetizing paperclips by running a magnet over them several times.  The paperclip itself took on weak magnetic properties.  We made our own fun.

wow this is interesting

so im guessing when you moved the magnet, the magnet in motion acted like current

perhaps tensly flexing or moving in the path of a female will magnetise her with all the iron in our blood. but with too much heme-iron we will have too much rust thus not magnetising as cleanly
A

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
I did some research on line on how to de magnetize tools.

Some industrial procedures like grinding, sanding and polishing can make a piece of steel become magnetic. It seems that drill bits being subject to friction and spinning can also become magnetic with time.

I also read a post by a guy who had his garage hit by a lightning bolt, making every tool in there magnetic, and every nail holding the hardwood floor as well.

Some people said you can hit pieces of metal with a hammer to demagnetize it by misaligning the charges by the impact.

You can use a soldering gun to demagnetized small objects by passing it inside the loop in the tip while the gun is on, because the gun produces a strong alternating current that misalign the magnetic charges.

This guy made a homemade demagnetizer that works the same way:

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
"The Physics Of Everyday Phenomena" - W. Thomas Griffith
Unit 3/14 Electricity and Magnetism

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I did some research on line on how to de magnetize tools.

Some industrial procedures like grinding, sanding and polishing can make a piece of steel become magnetic. It seems that drill bits being subject to friction and spinning can also become magnetic with time.

I also read a post by a guy who had his garage hit by a lightning bolt, making every tool in there magnetic, and every nail holding the hardwood floor as well.

Some people said you can hit pieces of metal with a hammer to demagnetize it by misaligning the charges by the impact.

You can use a soldering gun to demagnetized small objects by passing it inside the loop in the tip while the gun is on, because the gun produces a strong alternating current that misalign the magnetic charges.

This guy made a homemade demagnetizer that works the same way:

Sweet vid.  Never seen this discussed.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Sweet vid.  Never seen this discussed.

suprised this isnt discussed more, its more proof we are in the dark ages of technology, atleast the past 10 years

what kinda work you doing that you need demagnatized tools?
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
suprised this isnt discussed more, its more proof we are in the dark ages of technology, atleast the past 10 years

what kinda work you doing that you need demagnatized tools?

Going to get into machining as a serious hobby one of these days, once the universe stops conspiring against my best laid plans.  Got a lovely old lathe and quite a few odds and ends from auctions.  I dig those sorts of workshop vids that address small scale one man operation, how he maintains his gear, moves through a project, etc.  My favorite youtube guy is Keith Fenner.  Coming at it from a position of relative ignorance, as I do, it's amazing to see a guy with a lifetime's experience working things through.

I've got a few dollars worth of endmills out there that I was thinking of with the demagnetizing, or any bits of tooling that get time invested in grinding them to shape.  I'll be into some projects requiring a lot of boring too, so I imagine a magnetized cutting tool would cause headaches clearing chips.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Going to get into machining as a serious hobby one of these days, once the universe stops conspiring against my best laid plans.  Got a lovely old lathe and quite a few odds and ends from auctions.  I dig those sorts of workshop vids that address small scale one man operation, how he maintains his gear, moves through a project, etc.  My favorite youtube guy is Keith Fenner.  Coming at it from a position of relative ignorance, as I do, it's amazing to see a guy with a lifetime's experience working things through.

I've got a few dollars worth of endmills out there that I was thinking of with the demagnetizing, or any bits of tooling that get time invested in grinding them to shape.  I'll be into some projects requiring a lot of boring too, so I imagine a magnetized cutting tool would cause headaches clearing chips.
machining what? why dont you resurrect the wardenclyffe tower that tesla started out on so we can get free energy
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
machining what? why dont you resurrect the wardenclyffe tower that tesla started out on so we can get free energy

Projectwise, I've got some ideas which may or may not bear fruit and I've got some others that wouldn't be marketable but would make me money by improving my efficiency as a contractor.  Just plant/infrastructure stuff.  It's nothing very interesting in the great scheme but it's annoying to never get around to doing things that I think are worthwhile.  I don't want to farm out prototyping on novel design stuff for lots or reasons, but mostly just because I'm hungry to do my own work in my own workshop.

You know I'm useless with electricity, John.  I'll have to leave the Tesla Towers to you.

Without reference to a particular project, I just like the precision that the ingenuity of machine shop stuff affords.  I find it beautiful.  It's what shapes the stuff that moves the world.  The versatility of a home shop also appeals to me.  The ability to fully maintain or modify the stuff I already have and stuff I want to own would be really nice.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
So how do we make a perpetual endless source of power to make electricity with stored magnetic energy?

I know by me Princeton University is spending an insane amount of government money to attempt to make fusion energy power. Could it be used as the next generation ultimate weapon?

We already have enough fuel to power fission reactors for 30K years. With fast reactor technology already working on a limited scale why are we even bothering with fusion? Fast reactor technology would solve the nuclear waste problem. Then we could have an endless source of electricity forever. 90% of vehicles could be pollution free electric. The fast reactor fission plants would not pollute the air.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
we need no more weapon but peace