Author Topic: Wow... I am both shocked, appalled, and amazed.  (Read 7073 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Wow... I am both shocked, appalled, and amazed.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
coldude, your sarcastic approach only works in your favor if people know you're being sarcastic.   When they aren't sure it loses "teh intended funny" completely and just creates confusion :-\

S "Trying to keep teh funny rolling" ella
 :)
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 04:08:41 PM »
This may sound a bit stupid, but that could've just been that guys opinion.

That "guy" is the Lord, God of Israel. Your lack of Biblical knowledge is shameful. This makes it all the more necessary for you to be born again in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 04:09:08 PM »
That "guy" is the Lord, God of Israel. Your lack of Biblical knowledge is shameful. This makes it all the more necessary for you to be born again in the Lord Jesus Christ.

ooo :-\

coldude, your sarcastic approach only works in your favor if people know you're being sarcastic.   When they aren't sure it loses "teh intended funny" completely and just creates confusion :-\

R

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »

It is, but seeing as how sarcastic you apparently are being right now, I'm just going to disregard this whole conversation.  ;D

coldude, your sarcastic approach only works in your favor if people know you're being sarcastic.   When they aren't sure it loses "teh intended funny" completely and just creates confusion :-\

They do.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
Stella, my intent wasn't so much to bring teh funny as it was to illustrate Poe's law. Here's the definition of Poe's law given by urbandictionary.com:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

In other words, No matter how bizzare, outrageous, or just plain idiotic a parody of a Fundamentalist may seem, there will always be someone who cannot tell that it is a parody, having seen similar REAL ideas from real religious/political Fundamentalists.

The following is an actual Internet post to Biblically defend a flat Earth:

"All I was saying was that either the earth is flat, and the bible is correct, or the earth is round, and the bible is incorect, i'm going to study the issue more and deside for myself which route I want to take. Either Atheist evolutionist, who agrees with all of mainstream sciences, or flat earth litteral bible believer.
I'm leaning toward being an atheist, because if I can't believe the bible to be completly litteraly true, then I can't believe Jesus when he speaks about heaven, etc..
That would make the moon landing a fake, and pretty much all of modern science false..."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 06:38:32 PM »
The "God hates fags" rhetoric isn't Biblical at all.  What is Biblical is hate the sin, love the sinner. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »
The "God hates fags" rhetoric isn't Biblical at all.  What is Biblical is hate the sin, love the sinner. 

But killing the sinner is also Biblical, or least, Levitical.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
But killing the sinner is also Biblical, or least, Levitical.

True.  The wages of sin is death.  That's Biblical.   

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »
True.  The wages of sin is death.  That's Biblical.   

Is this death sentence to be inflicted by the believers in God's name, as He commands?

The Lord is pretty clear in his instructions.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »
Is this death sentence to be inflicted by the believers in God's name, as He commands?

The Lord is pretty clear in his instructions.

Obviously not.  I haven't been commanded to kill anyone.  But good luck with that dumb argument.   :)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »
Obviously not.  I haven't been commanded to kill anyone.  But good luck with that dumb argument.   :)

Obviously you have not read the Bible. Pick it up one of these days...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Obviously you have not read the Bible. Pick it up one of these days...

::)

_Morrison_

• Getbig II
  • People age like milk.
They do.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 06:29:46 AM »
Stella, my intent wasn't so much to bring teh funny as it was to illustrate Poe's law. Here's the definition of Poe's law given by urbandictionary.com:

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

In other words, No matter how bizzare, outrageous, or just plain idiotic a parody of a Fundamentalist may seem, there will always be someone who cannot tell that it is a parody, having seen similar REAL ideas from real religious/political Fundamentalists.

Poe's Law seems pretty flawed to me.  What if the only people listening to your parody were Beach Bum. Ozmo and me?  Poe's Law wouldn't apply because none of us would mistake it for what it was. 
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 06:40:53 AM »
STella, notice the capitalized SOMEONE.

On a message board, there are bound to be other people (members and lurkers), especially Getbig.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 06:44:49 AM »
STella, notice the capitalized SOMEONE.

On a message board, there are bound to be other people (members and lurkers), especially Getbig.
Oh, I must have missed the part where it says it's on a message board.  If it is, isn't there a possibility that no one at all will read a specific post?  For instance, if you posted something over at boom7 would anyone read it?  Possibly yes, possibly no, right?
R