Author Topic: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?  (Read 57367 times)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 06:26:31 AM »
It's rubbish and it's another lame excuse for anybody who's sick of training them.... there are too many people still alive and kicking that had horrible calves and made some real efforts to train the hard and succeeded.
They are as any other muscle group, if you don't train the right way you don't see any results.

There are too many people running around blaming anything and everything on genetics it's ridicules and lame as fuck IMHO ::)

Yes i agree with you, there are a lot of little pussies who are not pushing themselves hard enough and blame their genetics for the lack of muscle mass on a body part but i think forearms and calves are a whole other story, you can improve them, but they never will be outstanding. yes mine are horrible, but my work ethic is very good in my eyes and back is my best bodypart.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
Yes i agree with you, there are a lot of little pussies who are not pushing themselves hard enough and blame their genetics for the lack of muscle mass on a body part but i think forearms and calves are a whole other story, you can improve them, but they never will be outstanding. yes mine are horrible, but my work ethic is very good in my eyes and back is my best bodypart.

I see it this way, yes some of us are blessed with good calves and good forearms, but if you would train calves to the absolute maximum ever time and excactly the way you should I'll bet you that you're calves are going to be as good as any other... it may take longer a lot longer maybe.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 06:33:18 AM »
No man shaves his calves.

yeah I meant to say Tan them... I see the gayness of my post please hit me over he head.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 06:35:20 AM »
I don't think so, at all times we are bounded to the restrictions of our genetic potential.
Look at Milos, i don't doubt his work ethic on arms will be any different then on other bodyparts but he still can't match them with eachother.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 06:36:20 AM »
yeah I meant to say Tan them... I see the gayness of my post please hit me over he head.
its alright, us americans are catching on to european gayness trends.  ;)
follow the arrows

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 06:42:10 AM »
its alright, us americans are catching on to european gayness trends.  ;)

Tell the truth... are you shaving your forearms?

migizi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 06:47:29 AM »
I alternate high rep days with high intensity days....by high reps I mean 70-100, with different foot positions 1 set of regular foot placement, 1 set of toes pointed inward, 1 set of toes pointed outward, and since I'm double jointed I place both feet 90 degrees, so it looks like I broke my ankles.  High intensity, is low reps with as much weight as I can take...my calves are at 23...I can't fit into any normal pants now. Shorts 24/7 365.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:09 AM »
yeah but your yellow. all my yellow friends have good calves.
that is true..
L

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »
fat people have great calves too.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 07:01:45 AM »
I seen this mean looking heffer walking to the elevator, her calves must of been 25-29 inches ....easy....
L

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 07:06:59 AM »
Aside from insertions and genetic issues (having calves or not, is not a genetic problem- it's a cop out!), calves are not hard to grow.

will938

• Getbig III
  • No Bull!
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
Yeah I tried training my calfs dc-style once and I always do slow negatives now but I dont train them very often..

And you wonder why they don't grow??? ::)
Team Efferding

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
Train them every day with very high reps. You can improve cavs, but if they're high then they'll stay that way.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 07:52:25 AM »
if they are high . . they will stay thayt wY NOT SURE . BUT TO GET .  roger stewart calves genetics needed . arnold calves is sucess story .

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
Seated calf raises seem to work the best for me.

I train calves twice a week and perform static holds and also rest pause.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
today the top pros thighs are often awesome with big hams how can you get calves in proportion with such big thighs . arnold used to say that calves is the prime muscle of the leg . in his day sergio had better  thighs than him but arnold had better calves . weightlifters have big thighs too.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »
we need strentgh coach to help. then that sais some have very good calves but narrow shoulders weak arms etc.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:23 AM »
Seated calf raises seem to work the best for me.

I train calves twice a week and perform static holds and also rest pause.

yes...i mostly do one legged DB calf raises and sometimes without weight. I have had good results from seated Barbell calf raises too. foot position i do not feel is important more a good range of motion and working up to "burns" partial reps when your calfs are burning in the fires of hell... ;D A very good post Wild Willie.. your posts are always good and your training experience is highly evident in your posts.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
every guy with bad calves says "yes my calves are bad but training them hard should at least do something right?"

but i never saw any of them grow remotely decent calves

bottom line

bad calves always stay bad

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
every guy with bad calves says "yes my calves are bad but training them hard should at least do something right?"

but i never saw any of them grow remotely decent calves

bottom line

bad calves always stay bad
well i find jumping rope good too. I always warm up with this and am barefoot(hurts a bit when the leather rope hits my toes).. another thing i have noticed is after going for long walks in the snow here i felt it in my calfs..never really had this with running and could be that as i walk i am utilizing my muscles better as a walk is more of a natural movement, rolling the foot and you have longer and more contact with the floor as apposed to running.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
well i find jumping rope good too. I always warm up with this and am barefoot(hurts a bit when the leather rope hits my toes).. another thing i have noticed is after going for long walks in the snow here i felt it in my calfs..never really had this with running and could be that as i walk i am utilizing my muscles better as a walk is more of a natural movement, rolling the foot and you have longer and more contact with the floor as apposed to running.
running is way too balistic to actually work the muscle

it's all elastic energy from the achiles tendon

rope skipping seems similar

up hill walking may be best

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 07:06:47 AM »
well skipping barefoot is better for calfs than running...as i like supersets and pre-exhaust..
Standing calf raise(isolation movement)
superset with
Rope jumping(combination movement)

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:28 AM »
mountain runners have often god calves . that said dickerson calves were great but small arms .

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 07:07:23 PM »
Stadium steps.

Twice per week.

Sprint 100%

8 to 15 times

2 steps at a time.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
Calves grow on very high reps.  Look at all the cyclists etc...they all have great calves.  Anything/sport that involves using the calves alot will build them.