Author Topic: whats it w/ soccer and dying? steroids?  (Read 1324 times)

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
whats it w/ soccer and dying? steroids?
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
every now and then i hear of the soccer player die on the pitch from heart attack...now, why would a 25-28 year old dude who played soccer since he was 10 suddenly collapse on the field and die? they always keep it covered but...what r your thoughts? gear?

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: whats it w/ soccer and dying? steroids?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:01:03 PM »
Heart problems. They run too much, some high school kid who lives around me died on the field a few years ago.
E

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »
could be Aids since playing soccer is gay as shit.
$

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
Usually it happens due to things like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and other such heart anomalies that you see in highly trained athletes. I wouldn't consider steroids to have a play in any death among athletes like this at all. Other recreational drugs? Maybe.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
every now and then i hear of the soccer player die on the pitch from heart attack...now, why would a 25-28 year old dude who played soccer since he was 10 suddenly collapse on the field and die? they always keep it covered but...what r your thoughts? gear?

Because they are not real athletes. Soccer players are "all drugs"!

They should take up a real athlete's sport like Competitive Bodybuilding ;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Jizzacked

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »

lol!

on a serious note my personal guess would be from complications arising from rec drugs that are brutal on the cardio system like cocaine, that probably seems prevalent due to the changes in the heart  structure etc. that comes with highly conditioned athletes.

for instance... I recently read this article about world class swimmers when the whole phelps thing was big news.  they did a study on some of these top competitors... and to their surprise, their hearts were EXTREMELY enlarged, taking on what was described as an almost torpedo like structure.  it basically allowed their hearts to pump massive amounts of blood in a forceful piston like action. 

the most interesting aspect of this enlargement though, was that it subsided not all that long after they ceased their grueling training.  their hearts actually atrophied back to a more normal state when they were not extremely conditioned, but the enlargement did not seem to show any complications healthwise.  now, if you were to factor in other aspects on top of that, such as coke or amphetamine abuse, heavy drinking... the occasional world class athlete dropping dead now and then doesn't seem all that unbelievable... it happens even in cases where there was no apparent obvious history of any sort of drug use.  also, any sort of viral infection that effects the cardiovascular system I imagine is all the more lethal in a highly optimized and oversized heart that is conditioned for a particular activity... like the obvious conditioning involved in the amount of running soccer players do. 

while I agree and find soccer one of the most boring things ever, you can't deny the excellent conditioning that some of those guys have, same as most major popular sports.  I just have a general feeling that the use of certain drugs that obviously tax the heart is a strong possibility for increased morbidity in people that you would not otherwise expect to just drop dead from a heart related complication.

The GodFather

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »
This may come as a Shock but people DIE. :-\

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
thx for your comments
i also heard cases where an athlete would play/train with flu or other sickness...we had a guy at school who went to rugby practice w/ flu and 40 mins in the practice - ends up in an emergency ward...survived, but shit...got us all scared then

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, that's what they die of.
Team Yates

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:09:40 AM »
;D ;D ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:15:40 AM »
good thing we as bodybuilders dont run so much, we're scared of losing muscle
Z

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:33 AM »
whats so fun watching a bunch of guys kicking a f**king ball? We want to watch oiled up musclemen in thongs, posing wih a slow love song, Or dance like the grapefruit guy. :P

basurablanco

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29:39 AM »
Because they are not real athletes. Soccer players are "all drugs"!

They should take up a real athlete's sport like Competitive Bodybuilding ;D

GOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 03:38:33 AM »
my father played pro soccer...but i don't dig it after playing rubgy for 6 years...soccer players are ssissies - theatrical drama every time he trips on his shoelaces...

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:38:42 AM »

Who are you thinking of? That scottish guy who died this year was much older than that. Lots more pro soccer players than pro bodybuilders, I think given there's maybe 2000 pros in England alone, then as many in each European country etc, the chances of someone occossionally having a hereditary heart condition are quite high. In BB it seems more frequent because every 10th guy who appears on the olympia stage seems to develop health problems, although that's often kidneys aswell. Anyway, I think if you took a sample group of 2000 humans and watched them for a few years someone would have heart trouble. It is the most popular sport on the planet after all.