Author Topic: Proper Warm-up For A Dead PB  (Read 20389 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Proper Warm-up For A Dead PB
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »
You worked to 585 on rack pulls and you're not sure about them???

Rack pulls are "easier" but they have loads of benefits.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
And to be sure, you did pull from just below the kneecap right?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
You worked to 585 on rack pulls and you're not sure about them???

Rack pulls are "easier" but they have loads of benefits.
I didn't feel the intensity that I feel when I do them off the floor. I barely broke a sweat until my final 3 sets off the floor. I had the bars set to the lowest hole on the cage. BB was right along my knee. I know you suggested to go below the knee but the cage didn't allow for that.
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
Lowest hole? That sucks. I like to use a heavy weight and then lower it one hole the next week.

Rack pulls obviously mimic the lockout portion of the deadlift, if you want more intensity do 495x5 then 545x3 then go up from there for singles.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »
Lowest hole? That sucks. I like to use a heavy weight and then lower it one hole the next week.

Rack pulls obviously mimic the lockout portion of the deadlift, if you want more intensity do 495x5 then 545x3 then go up from there for singles.
Lowest hole meaning lowest holes to place the safety bars in. The BB was right along my knees, felt awkward starting from that angle.
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Yeah they feel a little awkward at first, focus is mostly back/grip your legs should barely be bent.

Another thing you could try is deads off a box, ever done those?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
Yeah they feel a little awkward at first, focus is mostly back/grip your legs should barely be bent.

Another thing you could try is deads off a box, ever done those?
No such equipment at the gym i'm at. Fortunately they got rid of one of the "head trainers" who complained I was making too much noise deadlifting, etc. I've been a member there for nine years, assholes. I may give the rack pulls another shot. Do you think it matters that the bb is at my knees and not lower? I was thinking I could try and use a smith machine and see how that goes?
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
No such equipment at the gym i'm at. Fortunately they got rid of one of the "head trainers" who complained I was making too much noise deadlifting, etc. I've been a member there for nine years, assholes. I may give the rack pulls another shot. Do you think it matters that the bb is at my knees and not lower? I was thinking I could try and use a smith machine and see how that goes?
I don't think it matters. I would not use a smith. You gotta remember, rack pulls are taking the legs out of the deadlift so its mainly a back/grip movement. I also like them for the overload factor, like you showed today, you pulled 585 from the rack, more than you would ever be able to pull from the floor right? How was your grip? Do you do SLDL's?

You could always stack 2-3 plates and deadlift while standing on them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »
I don't think it matters. I would not use a smith. You gotta remember, rack pulls are taking the legs out of the deadlift so its mainly a back/grip movement. I also like them for the overload factor, like you showed today, you pulled 585 from the rack, more than you would ever be able to pull from the floor right? How was your grip? Do you do SLDL's?

You could always stack 2-3 plates and deadlift while standing on them.
Over under grip, used straps and belt. Haven't done SLDL is a while. Usually do a lying leg curl and seated. Rack definately take the legs out. Your legs just seem to keep you stabilized during that type of pull.
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
Over under grip, used straps and belt. Haven't done SLDL is a while. Usually do a lying leg curl and seated. Rack definately take the legs out. Your legs just seem to keep you stabilized during that type of pull.
Eh, I'm not a fan of straps. I've found sldl to be helpful with pulling from the ground.

Something we used to do at Koloseum that makes quite a racket but worked well was to put the bar UNDER the safetys on the floor and set the safetys just above the knee, then explode with the bar until it hit the safetys, then set it down, that move helps explosiveness out of the hole. Noisy as fuck though. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Bump for an update.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
Eh, I'm not a fan of straps. I've found sldl to be helpful with pulling from the ground.

Something we used to do at Koloseum that makes quite a racket but worked well was to put the bar UNDER the safetys on the floor and set the safetys just above the knee, then explode with the bar until it hit the safetys, then set it down, that move helps explosiveness out of the hole. Noisy as fuck though. ;D

that would flip out at my gym. they already shit a brick when i "gently lower" 495.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »

that would flip out at my gym. they already shit a brick when i "gently lower" 495.
yeah its an attention getter for sure.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
yeah its an attention getter for sure.
Working sets are still 405 or 6 two sets of 455 for 3  :'(. What about you? Any attempt at a pb?
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
Working sets are still 405 or 6 two sets of 455 for 3  :'(. What about you? Any attempt at a pb?
No pb in awhile, I'll be attempting one next week though! :D

You incorporate the rack pulls? What about deficit deads?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
No pb in awhile, I'll be attempting one next week though! :D

You incorporate the rack pulls? What about deficit deads?
No to rack pulls. I didn't like the position they put me in. Never heard of deficit deads. Are you going to attempt the same #as last time?
T

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
Always ...

135x5x2 (slow and considered)

225x2x2

And then ...

My heaviest poundage for that day

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
No to rack pulls. I didn't like the position they put me in.

try them again. i fucking hated them. didnt do them for a long time. gave it another go and, i have no idea why, but i love them now and they do help alot.

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
Building muscle like building strength is a matter of time for me. Maybe there are different techniques I could try but I believe I'm stuck in a BB mentality rather than a PL mentality. I enjoy the strength aspect of PL but not enough to focus my workouts entirely around it. So, for now, I'm not going to concern myself with PB's, those will come in time. One thing I am sure about is that I will be lifting heavier six months, a year from now than I am today.
T