Author Topic: Ebony or grey hardwood floors  (Read 2955 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Ebony or grey hardwood floors
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
Does anyone have very dark (any shade) or grey hardwood floors?  Are you happy w/them?
R

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Ebony or grey hardwood floors
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:26 AM »
I installed karri in my last house, mostly because the price was right.  Wasn't quite as fire engine as this one, but still reddish brown.

It's a question of taste but my general rule would be: The darker the floor, the more lighting/windows you'll want, unless you're going for a 'Kneel, slave' vibe, and crowding a dark room is worse than jumble in a lighter toned room.

For me it would be: Ok, not my taste but a nice sense of light and space allows such a dark floor.

Here, Patrick Bateman may leap out of a shadow at any moment with an axe he got at Ikea.

If you weren't a Getbigger and had to worry about cost, I'd suggest looking into pre-finished 'cut & click' flooring.  To the best of my knowledge, it's cheaper, far faster and DIYable since there's no gluing, secret nailing, culling, clamping, weighting, etc, sanding or layered varnishing, and the factory urethane (or maybe it's an epoxy) coating is much more durable than what you can achieve on site so it might be dog durable.  I'd imagine they fully seal the boards to protect against that fourth glass of wine (or grape drink, depending on neighborhood), but check on that.

You can stain maple, as far as I know, but you'd want to do it after laying and sanding which means you'd be crossing your fingers in terms of how uniformly the boards drink it.  Idk if that's a worry with maple.

I'd love a heavy grain distressed or smoked wide plank oak.  Om nom nom.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »
Just spitballin' here.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

If you weren't a Getbigger and had to worry about cost, I'd suggest looking into pre-finished 'cut & click' flooring.  To the best of my knowledge, it's cheaper, far faster and DIYable since there's no gluing, secret nailing, culling, clamping, weighting, etc, sanding or layered varnishing, and the factory  urethane (or maybe it's an epoxy) coating is much more durable than what you can achieve on site so it might be dog durable.  I'd imagine they fully seal the boards to protect against that fourth glass of wine (or grape drink, depending on neighborhood), but check on that.

NO urethane,...none...zero....WAX wax wax!!

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
In case you missed the above....WAX!

Wax looks better,...feels better,
...and if you have to refinish a patch you can refinish just a patch,...with urethane you have to do the whole floor to fix a patch.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
mahoghany hard wood= number 1
F

Nibbles

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
Look at the johnson series.  nice durable wood.

newmom

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
funk, that's exactly the color and finish I will do in 2 years when I renovate the interior of my house

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »
There's a film where Kevin costner is a.serial killer and in his house his flooring is perfect.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
Clooney, Burn After Reading: "What is that?  Oak?"  Stomp, stomp.  Stomp.

NO urethane,...none...zero....WAX wax wax!!

I thought you had to keep re-waxing all the time?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
You have to buff it occasionally, but WAX is the premium finish...