Author Topic: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?  (Read 57338 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »
Calves grow on very high reps.  Look at all the cyclists etc...they all have great calves.  Anything/sport that involves using the calves alot will build them. 

Thanks cutie  :)

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
Thanks cutie  :)
You're welcome PIP.   :)   

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »
very true i have seen some massive calfes in summer here and it was always people on Bikes and some were old guys...years of cycling.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »
some great bodybuiilders were never noted for great calves even robbie robinson lee haney and yes ron coleman were not standing on amazing calves . . neither a couple of others .

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
 Big issue is that many people don't focus on them. When training calves treat them like any other muscle group. The use of high reps are often used for calves. This can be a problem especially for  lighter guys. Calves need to be trained heavy and can handle a huge amount of poundage. I've seen guys at the gym complain about small calves that wont grow. He then did calve raised with 45 pounds and talked on the phone during his set. I have never anyone who can seated calve raise 5 or more plates for good form without big calves.

Keep it simple
Seated calve raises 10-8-6
Standing calve raises 10-8-6

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »
i trained them hard for years but they were never that great single leg raises and donkeys are good . and tennis and moutain running. still some great pros have average calves . monster thighs of todad put shadows on them

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
i have success with hi and low rep sets calves,,low as 6/8 hi 15/20 to even 30rep sets example.. seated calf raise 3.5 plate 10reps drop plate .3 plates 10 repsdrop plate,then 10 more ,,,,bouncing reps with heavy weight does nothing unless calf genetic freak,,,

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
i have success with hi and low rep sets calves,,low as 6/8 hi 15/20 to even 30rep sets example.. seated calf raise 3.5 plate 10reps drop plate .3 plates 10 repsdrop plate,then 10 more ,,,,bouncing reps with heavy weight does nothing unless calf genetic freak,,,
yes... ;)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
calves are tricky to train..you can train them and have the worst doms but they will still not growing...
but train them with volume gives me the best results so far..
T

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
I'm starting to believe more and more that calves are the most genetically influenced muscle.  I have always had good calves ever since i was a teen and they respond to anything.  One of my best friends is the opposite, we do the same routine and my calves keep growing slowly and his never change.  In 5 years his calves haven't change a bit and mine have grown almost 2" with a lower bodyfat.  We both do slow and controlled reps, focusing on letting the heel dip all the way down and then a smooth flex and squeeze to the top of the movement.  Alternate foot position, change reps, fast tempo, slow tempo, light weight, heavy weight, etc.  We have tried everything and his calves get sore but they never improve.

A guy i trained with years ago had the best calves I've ever seen and all he did was seated calf raises 12-15 reps once a week for a few sets.  He didn't even focus on them because he said they were always big.

I don't even use heavy weights anymore, i used to max out the stack on standing calf raise, but these days i don't go over 200 pounds.  I think i get a better workout doing them seated with 3-4 plates for sets of 15-20 reps, but i change it up all the time and do a lot of drop sets.  Another good exercise is jumping rope while staying on your toes the entire time.  I've met a few boxers who have incredible calves from years of foot drills and jump rope, but again i think it all boils down to genetics.

8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
I'm starting to believe more and more that calves are the most genetically influenced muscle.  I have always had good calves ever since i was a teen and they respond to anything.  One of my best friends is the opposite, we do the same routine and my calves keep growing slowly and his never change.  In 5 years his calves haven't change a bit and mine have grown almost 2" with a lower bodyfat.  We both do slow and controlled reps, focusing on letting the heel dip all the way down and then a smooth flex and squeeze to the top of the movement.  Alternate foot position, change reps, fast tempo, slow tempo, light weight, heavy weight, etc.  We have tried everything and his calves get sore but they never improve.

A guy i trained with years ago had the best calves I've ever seen and all he did was seated calf raises 12-15 reps once a week for a few sets.  He didn't even focus on them because he said they were always big.

I don't even use heavy weights anymore, i used to max out the stack on standing calf raise, but these days i don't go over 200 pounds.  I think i get a better workout doing them seated with 3-4 plates for sets of 15-20 reps, but i change it up all the time and do a lot of drop sets.  Another good exercise is jumping rope while staying on your toes the entire time.  I've met a few boxers who have incredible calves from years of foot drills and jump rope, but again i think it all boils down to genetics.

8)
GREAT POINTS AND THATS MY ROUTINE TO A TTT,,,I SWITCH REP AMOUNTS,REP SPEED,FEET POSITIONS,,,GENETIC WISE I SAY I'M IN BETWEEN THERE BUT HAD TO WORK AT IT,,2X PER WEEK AND VARY EXERCISES ,,I LIKE DOING THEM TRUTHFULLY AND THEY HAVE GROWN AND HAVE GOOD SHAPE NOT THE IDEAL BUT CLOSE MY MEASUREMENTS FOR THE BIG 3 ARE CLOSE NECK,ARM CALF...NOT THAT MEANS THE BE ALL...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
I agree jumping rope is great. I do it every workout.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
genetics uo to a point only . training protocols aso count . ply tennis jump rope and mountain running i have been told . . in his booklet leg training so many years ago arnie wrote that the calf is the prime muscle of the leg . . big thighs are easier to  reach .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
maybe but how many train the Tibialis Anterior ?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
maybe but how many train the Tibialis Anterior ?
i do front rolls on leg extension machine works great,,,,

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
i do front rolls on leg extension machine works great,,,,
well i knew you would .. you are a great Trainer ;). i do them with a plate on my toes and just raise them.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
well i knew you would .. you are a great Trainer ;). i do them with a plate on my toes and just raise them.
what sux is new version leg curl for hams is curved old nautilus was flat and i would put pad on bottom section so when u sat facing curling part where the tips of your toes went under the pad made it level comfortable to roll toes ,new leg curl is cumbersome in that position.i see ur way stand up plate on toe rock up on heels???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »
I do them seated plate on my toes but another variation is heels on a block...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
I do them seated plate on my toes but another variation is heels on a block...

THAT CAHLING???WHAT A SET OF QUADS THERE,,,,HE LOOKS NUTS NOW,,,

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
Anyone mention 40 yard sprints. Doing that in sand or up an incline is extra special fun. Calves respond very well to quick muscle contractions; quick push off's.

Another option: After doing a set of calf raises, rather than taking a rest off the block, keep a full stretch between sets on that block. In other words, don't leave the calf raise block at anytime until the full calf workout is done. Unbelievable burn, if new to this advance way of training calves. If working one calf at a time, than just keep the full stretch between sets, as you would when doing both legs at once. The reps may be lower, but the growth potential higher. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
THAT CAHLING???WHAT A SET OF QUADS THERE,,,,HE LOOKS NUTS NOW,,,
yes itīs an old picture of him...

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
yes itīs an old picture of him...

Arnold's Encyclopedia right?  Looks familiar.

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
Arnold's Encyclopedia right?  Looks familiar.

8)
yes one pic is  but not with Andreas Cahling.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
All u skinny negros who can't grow your calf, paypal me some money after you read this next line

The secret: do all your calf exercises bare feet. No shoes.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
All u skinny negros who can't grow your calf, paypal me some money after you read this next line

The secret: do all your calf exercises bare feet. No shoes.
got to admit never heard this advice before.. ::)