Author Topic: Prayer and Religion in Public Life  (Read 640861 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Prayer and Religion in Public Life
« Reply #925 on: July 19, 2023, 06:48:06 PM »
No, they aren't rare. Black churches in the inner cities are almost all liberal.

This. Several churches do it, albeit more covertly so they won't risk having to pay taxes like the rest of us. The religious tax-exempt legislation should be re-evaluated from the ground up. You have pastors who live in multi-million dollar mansions and pay no taxes because they claim it as parsonage, living an extravagant lifestyle and flying on their private jets or you have Scientology that uses the religious legal façade to cover up its multitudinous crimes. Meanwhile a family man busting his ass to provide home and food for his family gets taxed in every way.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #926 on: July 19, 2023, 08:17:37 PM »
No, they aren't rare. Black churches in the inner cities are almost all liberal.

Having read your response, you seem to be a solid poster, I did some research. You sir are correct. I stand corrected. My initial comment stands though and that is if ANY church uses their pulpit for political reasons they should lose their tax exempt status. I am actually for implementing taxes on mega churches as well.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #927 on: July 21, 2023, 08:47:17 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/21/state-cant-force-atheist-inmate-to-complete-substance-abuse-program-judge-rules

State can’t force atheist inmate to complete substance abuse program, US judge rules
Judge in West Virginia says it would ‘impinge on rights’ of incarcerated atheist to participate in religiously affiliated program

sounds reasonable. Surely they can come up with a substance abuse program that doesn't invoke a higher power?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #928 on: August 30, 2023, 07:18:07 PM »
But he was competent when he abused the boy. Why didn't they charge him earlier?

Former US Cardinal McCarrick not competent to face sex abuse trial, judge says

A Massachusetts judge on Wednesday dismissed a criminal case charging former Roman Catholic Cardinal Theodore McCarrick with molesting a 16-year-old boy in 1974, saying the 93-year-old was not competent to stand trial after psychological experts found he had dementia.

McCarrick, a former archbishop of Washington, D.C., who was defrocked by Pope Francis in 2019, became the only current or former U.S. Catholic cardinal to ever face child sex abuse charges when prosecutors in Massachusetts first charged him in 2021.

He was charged in April in a separate, ongoing criminal sexual assault case in Wisconsin involving the same alleged victim, who prosecutors said was fondled by McCarrick when he was 18 years old while staying as a guest at a cabin in 1977.

But on Wednesday, Judge Paul McCallum in Dedham granted prosecutors' request to dismiss three counts of indecent assault and battery over the 1974 incident, after a psychologist retained by the prosecution testified she believed McCarrick had dementia.

Kerry Nelligan, the psychologist, testified that when she met with McCarrick in June, he was often unable to recall what they discussed and that his condition rendered him unable to meaningfully participate in his own defense.

McCarrick was expelled from the Roman Catholic priesthood in 2019 after a Vatican investigation found him guilty of sexual crimes against minors and adults.

A Vatican report in November 2020 found that McCarrick rose through the church's ranks despite rumors of sexual misconduct and that Pope John Paul II promoted him despite knowing the allegations.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/former-us-cardinal-mccarrick-not-competent-face-sex-abuse-trial-judge-says-2023-08-30/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #929 on: October 31, 2023, 10:56:39 AM »
What does "religious fundamentalist" mean and does anyone actually call themselves religious fundamentalists?

Jen Psaki bashes GOP Speaker Mike Johnson for being a 'religious fundamentalist'
'It’s not just his political ideology that should scare us,' Psaki said of the new speaker of the House Sunday
By Jeffrey Clark Fox News
Published October 30, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jen-psaki-bashes-gop-speaker-mike-johnson-religious-fundamentalist

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #930 on: October 31, 2023, 08:35:45 PM »
What does "religious fundamentalist" mean and does anyone actually call themselves religious fundamentalists?

Jen Psaki bashes GOP Speaker Mike Johnson for being a 'religious fundamentalist'
'It’s not just his political ideology that should scare us,' Psaki said of the new speaker of the House Sunday
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jen-psaki-bashes-gop-speaker-mike-johnson-religious-fundamentalist

It's easy to google so I won't bother cutting and pasting but it's a good for people to know.

I have a Christian fundamentalist friend that I met in the military. Back then he was normal. His wife was a little odd, had an affair on him that he forgave her for, but he seemed normal.
Recently reunited with him after 30 years. Both are total nutcases. Bible this, Jesus that... could not hold a conversation with him that didn't revert back to Jesus. If the bible says it, it's true. If it sounds like the bible is saying something wrong, like it's ok to beat your slaves as long as you don't kill them, then it's just that we don't understand it.
This change in him was such a drastic one.. then I found out later that a few years before, he was operating a forklift at work and dropped something on a coworker killing him. His wife told me he was distraught, depressed, huge guilt of course... that's when he turned to the bible. And presto, Jesus forgave him and his is a soldier for Christ since then.. Kind of made sense after hearing that...

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #931 on: October 31, 2023, 08:56:07 PM »

I don't care what a professional liar like "circle back" Psaki says. She would find something against Johnson anyway since he is not Democrat.

Now, from the article, these are Johnson's words:

"People are curious, what does Mike Johnson think about any issue under the sun? I said, Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview."

So he plainly states that the Bible dictates his position on all issues (or that all his positions coincide with the bible). Hearing someone say that, and even replacing "Bible" with "Quran" or "Talmud", I would think the person is a religious fundamentalist and I would not want them in a position of power to dictate what other people do. The main issues in my opinion are whether he thinks the Bible or his religious beliefs are above "man-made" laws and how he would enforce these beliefs on others, especially those who are not part of his religion. So far he sounds a little like Pence.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #932 on: October 31, 2023, 09:10:42 PM »
I don't care what a professional liar like "circle back" Psaki says. She would find something against Johnson anyway since he is not Democrat.

"People are curious, what does Mike Johnson think about any issue under the sun? I said, Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview."

So he plainly states that the Bible dictates his position on all issues (or that all his positions coincide with the bible). Hearing someone say that, and even replacing "Bible" with "Quran" or "Talmud", I would think the person is a religious fundamentalist and I would not want them in a position of power to dictate what other people do. The main issues in my opinion are whether he thinks the Bible or his religious beliefs are above "man-made" laws and how he would enforce these beliefs on others, especially those who are not part of his religion. So far he sounds a little like Pence.

I would have that same concern. Typically Fundamentalists hold the bible over man made laws. Personally, anyone in a position of power that believes every word of the bible, scares me.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #933 on: November 01, 2023, 01:02:12 AM »
It's easy to google so I won't bother cutting and pasting but it's a good for people to know.

I have a Christian fundamentalist friend that I met in the military. Back then he was normal. His wife was a little odd, had an affair on him that he forgave her for, but he seemed normal.
Recently reunited with him after 30 years. Both are total nutcases. Bible this, Jesus that... could not hold a conversation with him that didn't revert back to Jesus. If the bible says it, it's true. If it sounds like the bible is saying something wrong, like it's ok to beat your slaves as long as you don't kill them, then it's just that we don't understand it.
This change in him was such a drastic one.. then I found out later that a few years before, he was operating a forklift at work and dropped something on a coworker killing him. His wife told me he was distraught, depressed, huge guilt of course... that's when he turned to the bible. And presto, Jesus forgave him and his is a soldier for Christ since then.. Kind of made sense after hearing that...
Yes, I have known people like that and they become impossible to be around. The good thing is that most of them backslide.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #934 on: November 01, 2023, 06:12:46 PM »

I don't really care what informs his views, so long as he makes good policy decisions. 

But that doesn't really define "religious fundamentalist."  It appears to be a phrase someone invented as a pejorative.  I doubt most people who use the phrase know where it originated or what it actually means.  I don't know what it actually means either.  And I don't know of any group of "religious" people who describe themselves this way. 

Reminds me of an ongoing debate I'm having with a liberal Christian friend who is all over the "Christian Nationalist" movement.  Another phrase that someone invented to demean groups of Christians. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #935 on: November 01, 2023, 06:13:06 PM »

you could investigate his links with the New Apostolic Reformation

Why?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #937 on: November 02, 2023, 07:53:31 AM »
don't worry
it is not going to open your mind but it will tell you some of the thing you will close it against.

You should just clearly state your point instead of speaking in riddles that no one understands.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #938 on: November 03, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »
Crazy. 

Former Playboy White House reporter says 'MAGA and Christian nationalism' are 'bigger threat' to US than Hamas
Brian Karem argued that the House under Speaker Johnson 'offers a discount version of the apocalyptic orgasm the holy rollers have dreamed of for years'
By Alexander Hall Fox News
Published November 3, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/media/former-playboy-white-house-reporter-maga-christian-guy-threat-hamas#:~:text=Karem%2C%20who%20was%20famous%20for,than%20Hamas%20could%20ever%20be.%22

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #939 on: November 03, 2023, 08:10:17 PM »
Crazy. 

Former Playboy White House reporter says 'MAGA and Christian nationalism' are 'bigger threat' to US than Hamas
Brian Karem argued that the House under Speaker Johnson 'offers a discount version of the apocalyptic orgasm the holy rollers have dreamed of for years'
By Alexander Hall Fox News
Published November 3, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/media/former-playboy-white-house-reporter-maga-christian-guy-threat-hamas#:~:text=Karem%2C%20who%20was%20famous%20for,than%20Hamas%20could%20ever%20be.%22

Probably accurate. We can defend against Hamas. Right wing Christians legislate their hate into law and we are too complacent to see it happening.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #940 on: November 03, 2023, 08:45:08 PM »

Probably accurate. We can defend against Hamas. Right wing Christians legislate their hate into law and we are too complacent to see it happening.

Yes the people who rape, mutilate, and murder defenseless women and children are more dangerous than a non-existent group of religious people in America.  It takes a pretty retarded mind to believe that. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #941 on: November 03, 2023, 10:10:06 PM »
Yes the people who rape, mutilate, and murder defenseless women and children are more dangerous than a non-existent group of religious people in America.  It takes a pretty retarded mind to believe that.

I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who knew this would go over your little head.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #942 on: November 03, 2023, 10:21:26 PM »
I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who knew this would go over your little head.

I say this with all sincerity:  you are a simpleton. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #943 on: November 03, 2023, 10:53:47 PM »
I say this with all sincerity:  you are a simpleton.
and you just cemented your position as a doofus

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #944 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:06 PM »
and you just cemented your position as a doofus

You're just not a smart person.  And it's hilarious that you, a simpleton, constantly call people dumb.  But it's ok.  God loves all his children.  Even the dummies like you.   :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #945 on: November 03, 2023, 11:23:56 PM »
You're just not a smart person.  And it's hilarious that you, a simpleton, constantly call people dumb.  But it's ok.  God loves all his children.  Even the dummies like you.   :)

Here's what tickles me. You KNOW I am intelligent. Yet you ignore the Coaches moronic imbecilic posts because the tard happens to share your imbecilic worship of the moron Trump. So not only are you less than a man, you are a follower of a tard the likes of Coach. You have no where to go from here ... but I do want to see your efforts... 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #946 on: November 03, 2023, 11:35:39 PM »
Here's what tickles me. You KNOW I am intelligent. Yet you ignore the Coaches moronic imbecilic posts because the tard happens to share your imbecilic worship of the moron Trump. So not only are you less than a man, you are a follower of a tard the likes of Coach. You have no where to go from here ... but I do want to see your efforts...

I clearly said that I sincerely believe you are a simpleton.  That's the opposite of intelligent.  You're not intelligent.  You're an insecure simpleton.  And the fact you need people on an anonymous message board to either support what you say or criticize someone else is sad. 

I don't ignore Coach's posts.  I literally laugh at how friggin stupid you are when he engages you.  He is smarter and more secure than you.  He doesn't need me to support him.  But an immature, insecure simpleton like you looks for those things on a friggin anonymous message board. 

And just so we are clear:  you are a simpleton, but God loves you anyway.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #947 on: November 07, 2023, 11:07:26 PM »
Christian Wedding Photographer Who Declined To Celebrate Same-Sex Marriage Wins Huge Legal Victory
KATE ANDERSON
CONTRIBUTOR
November 06, 2023
https://dailycaller.com/2023/11/06/christian-wedding-photographer-same-sex-marriage-wins-legal-victory/?utm_source=referral&utm_medium=offthepress&utm_campaign=home

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #948 on: November 20, 2023, 09:42:20 AM »
New Jersey drops religious oath for political candidates
On a federal level, while many oaths to serve in government include the phrase "so help me, God," others — most notably the presidential oath of office — do not require it.
By The Center Square Staff
Published: November 16, 2023
https://justthenews.com/nation/states/center-square/new-jersey-drops-religious-oath-political-candidates?utm_source=referral&utm_medium=offthepress&utm_campaign=home#google_vignette

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #949 on: November 21, 2023, 12:28:17 AM »
"This is an inflection point. We are at a civilizational moment. The only question is: Is God going to allow our nation to enter a time of judgment for our collective sins which his mercy and grace have held back for some time or is he gonna give us one more chance to restore the foundation, to return to Him? . . . We will not be able to do it without the Lord’s help, because the flesh and the mistrust, and the sin and everything is so great here that this is going to have to bring people to their knees."

"You all know the terrible state that we’re in. . . . The faith in our institutions is the lowest it’s ever been in the history of our nation. The culture is so dark and depraved that it almost seems irredeemable at this point. The church attendance in America dropped below 50 percent for the first time in our history since they began to measure the data sixty years ago. And the number of people who do not believe in absolute truth is now above the majority for the first time. One in three teen girls contemplated suicide last year. One in four high school students identify as something other than straight. We’re losing the country."

https://wellversedworld.org/media/ps8jt9w/wpn-call-279-mike-johnson-jody-hice-congress-update-concurrent-resolution-and-motion-to-vacate
I do not believe in absolute truth and don't think that's a bad thing.