Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 548127 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 10:19:50 PM »
Teagan was Don's girlfriend for some time back in the late 80's early 90's. 

Wife... she told me they were married.
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:34 PM »
Yes they did get married later on.  In fact I think I saw a few of the wedding pics.  Okay let me tell you my Benny Podda story.

At Muscle Mill I used to provide quite a few people with those body enhancing supplements you usually get in Mexico.  Spme of them we talk about on these boards.  But nothing will come from these lips on that.  Anyway, Benny told me about a really good supplement that is given to race horses.  It was milky white.  Now for awhile everything was great.  Until one day one of my friends told me nothing is happening and it's been 2 months.  He took it to a pharmacist friend of his and it was actually milk.  So I approached Benny to ask him what's up. He said they are joking with me and left.  So I cehcked again with my friend and he showed me some kind of letter from his friend stating the facts.  So he gave me a copy and I showed Benny.  Benny then says well what the you gonna do.  Give him back his money.  I said no problem you give me back my money.  Then he erupted.  I was pretty surprised because Benny was allot smaller than me and especially shorter.  I looked at him and said what the fuck you talking about you fucking scumbag.  Now Ray comes over and asks what is happening.  I told him everything.  Then benny buts in and says. Hey asshole what are you going to do about it.  I said I'm going to kick your ass.  He says fuck you while Ray is between us.I then told the girl behind the counter to call 911.  benny says what the fuck you calling the cops for pussy.  I say not the cops...an ambulance casue I'm going to beat the shit out of you and I want them here so you don't die.  Ray loved that line and told us to knock it off.  Benny walked away cussing at me.  Ray turns to me ands says.  What the fuck is going on here I don't want to be in the middle of you two guys goinng at it.  From then on me and Benny never said another word to each other.  The guy who bought the stuff from me I made up to with some other supplements.  That is why i say that about Benny.  He was a tough little guy but at that time not to many people bothered me.  Max remember Ron Gibson from work.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 08:36:36 AM »
Damn bro I must have still been around. I never knew that happened. Benny and I stopped training their around the same time. I just got really tired of Ray's negativity and all his HIT crap. I was bigger and in the best shape of my life before he bought the gym, training under Rory's guidance. Then when Ray bought the gym he kept lecturing me during my whole workout from across the room. Eventually I changed my workouts to follow his bs training and got fatter and fatter and smaller and smaller. Then he caused me an injury that put me our for YEARS. I still get problems from it once in a while. Ray was one of the most negative people I've ever met.

I love that line of yours. "Call 911 cause this guy is going to need an ambulance!" Too funny.

Of course I remember Ron Gibson. I competed against him in the Collegiate USA back in the 70's before I moved to L.A. Ron kicked all our asses. I didn't even know what AS were back then.

Tequilla Willies is now and Islands. Man that was a year for p***y. It was everywhere, free, easy and fine.

Now I'm depressed.  :(
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2005, 09:58:32 AM »
How about Bob Sears.  Me and Bob were good friends.  I rememebr me and a friend went over to his house.  He answered the door with no shirt on.  I swear to god he looked like Arnold at his peak.  Bob had such a great chest and his abs were the thickest I have ever seen.  His quads were huge.  His body was awesome.  He showed a bunch of articles on himself that many saying he is the next Arnold.  I really think he wasted his life away with the cocaine.  It ruined everything he had.  Lost his great wife and job and all his desire to train seriously.  man I'm telling you and I've seen some of the best, Bob defintiely could have done some damage in the Pros.  Plus he wasn't bad looking.  I remeber we would always compete to see who got the most girls.  We used to play hide n' seek at work too.  I found him one time screwing a girl in the not completed pong in the back.  He caught me getting head in the closet by the restrooms.  We had a great time back then.  SO many of the BB's from Gold's came in because of Ron, Bob and remember Jim Flarety.  He was a BB too.  But I think he was better known for putting diets together for competitors.  He was funny casue he had no sense of humor.  And then Rajan got a job bouncing there from Gold's too.  He took so much steroids he would shoot up in the restroom.  Some guys came by and wanted us (the bouncers) to work private security for Larry Flint (owner of Hustler).  We all said no but Rajan.  A few weeks later Rajan is tellng me he is selling these paintings and if I knew anyone who wanted to buy them.  They ended up being Larry FLint's.  I guess they somehow found there way into the trunk of his car.  Great stories from that place.  How about when the cops tried to pull over the Barbarian Brothers in their Jeep outside the front of the club.  That was hilarious too.  Remember the 32 oz. Margarita The Manhattan Maggie.

Milly

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2005, 10:52:16 AM »
awesome stories guys, keep em coming

any good barbarian stories, they looked like real characters.

I remember reading they were from Rhode Island, lol thats where those 2 filmaking brothers alwasy base thier zany movie characters from(dumb and dumber, stuck on you, me, myself and irene)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 11:45:24 AM »
Onlyme trained with the Barbarians for a while. They were real characters. Since I was a freind of Tim Kimber and Peter Grymko, I was quickly accepted in as "one of the gang" with almost everyone at Gold's, the barbarians included. David and Peter Paul were always going at it. The stories you read about were true. If Peter was about to miss a rep on the bench David would put his foot in Peters face to make him get the rep assisted or not. They had really bad hygene though dirty sweaty gym clothes. One time I thought they were tanned and then I realized their faces were dirty. Good guys though.

One time I saw them going to a movie theatre. They went right to the front of the line. They said they did it "because we can". Theyn were like little kids always looking to see what they could get away with.
and keep moving!

Milly

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »
WERE ALL THE stories about platz training with beserker intensity true.

lot of guys seem to have gone thru a meth phase back then, which has made somewhat of a comeback to society the past few years.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
I've seen Dorian's video... his intensity does not come close to Platz. I've seen Ronnies video ans seen him train once (off-season) his intesity does not com close to Platz. I've trained with Ray and Mike Mentzer... their intensity does not come close to Platz. At least once or twice Pro's would stop watch Tom do a set and walk away shaking their head. Tom was a freak... Tom thrived on pain. Let's take hacks. Eacg rep he would touch his knees to the floor in front of him. He do a set to failure. Then partials... until he couldn't budge the shoulder pads... Then he'd press the weight up with his arms and shoulders and stand up into the machine and do negatives down. when he couldn't go any further. He's stretch at the botton and then finally he'd collapse like a dead fish.

The guy was f*cking possessed. I'd train with ANYONE. Anyone except him. F*ck that. I'd rather go to the dentist and have him drill a hole in my skull.
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2005, 08:04:15 PM »
I've seen Platz train in person several times at World Gym.  For some reson I really don't remember him training his upper body.  It was coinendence  (?) that I was there always on leg days.  Squats was one thing watching him do.  And he always (at least most of the time) had a couple of spotters.  They were'nt used to spot him on lifts they were used to help him back to the bench and sit down and change weight.  I'll never forget him doing calf raise with who knows how much weight but do it to a point where he would literally collapsed and the two guys would catch him and carry him back to the bench to sit down.  They woudl tie and untie his wraps get his water and everything else needed...except lift the weights.  He definitely was the most intense person I have ever witnessed, at least in regards to lower body training.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 08:21:02 PM »
As with David and Peter like i've mentioned before we were all like brothers.  This was back in the early 90's.  I have not talked to Peter in years and I've talked to David a few times in the past few years.  I have some great stories with these two.  They were definitely strong as hell and just about any far-fetched story you heard about them is true as Max said. They really did bascially almost anything they wanted.  A warning to all you, don;t go grocery shopping with them.  I remember on Maui we had to go to the market to get some food and Benedryl for David.  First we stop at Jack in the Box.  David tells me I have to try the Double Fudge Cake.  So he orders (at the drive up) 4 Double Fudge Cakes.  I figured 1 for each of us and 2 for him.  Then Peter says how about me and Daivd says 4 more and asks me how many I want.  i said 2, he says 4 more.  So anyway, that was our pre-dinner.  So we get to the market and David downs 2 bottles of Benedryl while he is shopping.  Unreal.  So then we get in the car and peter pulls out a bag of cotton balls and from his sock a bottle of Rubbing Alcohol.  I couldn't believe it.  They were funny.  I had the room next to theres at the hotel so I could keep an eye out.  David is banging on my door at about 7Am.  He aked me if I wanted a Protein Shake.  I said whats in it while I walk in their room.  David is mixing in the blender 2 cans Diet Orange Soda, 2 cans tuna in water, 4 or 6 eggs and a couple scoops protein.  He mixes it up and immediately I say that's okay.  He drinks it while holding his nose.  It smelled up the whole room.  Now jumping to Oahu after this fun trip to Maui.  I pick them up to take them to the airport.  Both their luggage is being kept together with duct tape.  I asked what happened.  They say get in the car lets go.  While I'm driving Peter gets all excited and tells me what's in the luggage.  They had more than 20 down pillows.  They were telling me how much these kind of pillows cost.  I couldn't believe it.  Anyway, I have more like when we went to the waterfalls with Pete G. and David hanging from the trees.  And I almost gave Pete a heart attack when I ran towards a bridge and jumped onto the railing without any kind of anything below me for almost 200 feet. He jumped out into traffic to stop all the cars.  but David and Peter were really nice guys and they we got along really well.  One compliment they gave me that I liked was I was the only one they've ever trained with that could keep up with them.  You should have seen the 30 or 50 people at the gym on Maui watching us do 405 lb. BNP.  It was something.  The one thing I didn;t get into was the reverse bench.  David was good at that.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 09:29:43 PM »
Awesome stories. I'm kinda surprised that no one has ever filmed Platz doing a workout. Anyone know of any?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:26 PM »
Great Stories !

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 10:36:21 PM »
Awesome stories. I'm kinda surprised that no one has ever filmed Platz doing a workout. Anyone know of any?

Platz trained his upper bady just as hard. He'd do standing smith machine shoulders presses the same way he did hacks. Matter of fact he'd do everything that way.

Magic Shwartz video-taped Platz's workouts during that tikme frame. and was going to sell them about 7 years ago but now the gang over at Ironage has had an APB out on Magic but no luck finding him so far. Leo Costa did some video's with Platz training in the mid ninties. They are good, I have them and Platz was training hard but nothing like he did when I watched hom throughout the summer of 1981 training for the Olympia. I see him around Redondo Beach occasionally. When I talk to him about that summer and his training he just says "I wanted it badly".

My favorite line of Toms on the Leo Costa Video is "Welcome to the pain zone... it's where we live."
and keep moving!

apk19

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »
Guys you need to collaborate and turn these stories into a book!  ;)

Or at least make this thread a sticky!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »
Okay got to tell the buffet story.  Myself, David and Peter, Pete G. and a black guy named Clyde Butch Perry (Manny Perry's cousin).  He was a competitive BB'  I think he was in the USA or something like that.  Good size guy and really nice.  Well myself and one of my other friends picked up on some girls.  They liked us and wanted to hang around.  They came to the hotel in their convertible Rabbit.  We had a great idea.  Myself (300lbs.), David (270), Peter (250), Clyde (240) all got in the little Rabbit and drove around the traffice circle in front of the hotel.  You got to imagine this little car with us in it.  The tires were smoking and it was hilarious.  I have it on tape and pics somehwere but I think in LA.  Anyway the owner of the nightclub in town had the only limo in town so he let us use it while we were there.  So, comes dinner.  This hotel has the best seafood buffet in hawaii.  I used to fly to Hilo just for the buffet on Fridays.  So, we all sit down.  There was us, the two girls and a couple of other friends.

Now for my size I really don;t eat a whole lot.  But I do down the fish.  I had maybe a couple pounds.  The regular sides.  Instead of glasses of milk or orange juice all of us grabbed the whole pitcher and drank from them.  Instead of a piece of pie we grabbed the whole pie.  Anyway, about an hour later we are stuffed.  David is finishing what I had on my plate.  I of course had a plastic bag and took quite a bit of the fish to my room for later.  So we are all sitting there stuffed to the gills.  Pete is at the other ended of the table eating everything on the table that was left.  Pete now weighs about 180 or 190.  He eats only one meal a day.  He is a night person.  he used to tell me about how a lion lives.  Sleeps all day eats at night one big meal.  Very efficient he used to tell me.  I kind of live like that but I got it mixed up and thought he said eat all day and night.  Anyway, so he eats an incredible amount of food.  Sometimes he will order 4 or 5 times at a restaurant when we go out.  Even my daughters can't believe how much he eats. Anyway, we just couldn;t believe what we were seeing.  Our table ate more than probably all the other tables put together that were eating when we were there.  So if you ever get a chance to eat with Pete.  Fast before you go cause you are going to gain weight.  And the funny thing is how trim he stays doing this.

Ausvet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2005, 01:27:07 AM »
Size, Power and Muscularity - bought it from Don at the Pro U in 1981. Even though I didn't want him to he insisted on autographing the book. Saw him in '94 in World Gym - he came over and asked if we wanted to see a pose and before we could say 'sure, don' he'd cranked out a most muscular. I watched him approach Vic Richards at the Olympia telling him he was the world's most muscular man. Vic seemed to think it was an accurate assessment. Don was in great shape - this was about 6 months before his death.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
Now for my size I really don;t eat a whole lot.  But I do down the fish.  I had maybe a couple pounds.  The regular sides.  Instead of glasses of milk or orange juice all of us grabbed the whole pitcher and drank from them.  Instead of a piece of pie we grabbed the whole pie. 

Glad YOU don't eat much for your size.  A couple pounds of fish, two or three plate-fulls of rice, potatoes, veggies, a loaf of bread, A picture of milk, a picture of OJ and a whole pie.

Just a friggen snack. You crack me up.
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2005, 01:42:31 AM »
I remeber we would always compete to see who got the most girls.  We used to play hide n' seek at work too.  I found him one time screwing a girl in the not completed pong in the back.  He caught me getting head in the closet by the restrooms.  We had a great time back then.  SO many of the BB's from Gold's came in because of Ron, Bob and remember Jim Flarety.  Remember the 32 oz. Margarita The Manhattan Maggie.

It was  the best p***y gettin place I ever worked.
and keep moving!

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2005, 02:57:07 AM »
funny stories - keep em coming !!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2005, 08:58:11 AM »
When I first moved to LA I went to Santa Monica Beach one day to work on the tan and scope some poon. Ran into Bill Grant, Chris Dickerson and a couple guys from the gym so we find a spot to soak up the rays...

...All of a sudden we hear the big THUD. We look over a Casey Viator was headed our way but he fell flat on his face because he was so high on ludes (Casey LOVED qualudes). We just all cracked up. He had this look on his face like a kid that had gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »
I used to watch Platz train his legs at Gold's in Santa Monica.

One day Ernie Santiago of Hawaii was either training with or along side Tom and doing his best to keep up .

Mid way through this grueling workout, Ernie asked me if I would stick around and give him a ride back to the hotel cause, "My legs are gonna be useless after this workout!"

So I said, "Sure" and more than likely waited around talking to Pete who is a great conversationalist if the subject matter is right on.

A bit of time passed and Pete looked outside the office and saw Ernie sitting on the floor leaning against the wall and looking half dead.

So I walked over and checked him out to see if he was OK.

"OK, Ernie, let's get going!"

"Wait, I gotta train!"

And Pete and I just looked at him and laughed!

"Keep your eye on him. He's in a stupor.", said Pete as Tom said "bye" and walked out the door.

"You see that guy over there doing curls with the cast on his leg? He trained with Tom a couple of months ago and was in a stupor just like Ernie, but he walked out and walked right in front of a car not ten feet away from the front door! And I've seen that happen more than once when the guys are carb depleted getting ready for a contest and training as hard as Ernie just did this morning."

So we helped Ernie back on his feet - but he was still reluctant to leave without "training first"!

Gradually he came around and realized that he was acting crazy!

Ernie went on to win two national titles that year. I wasn't with him at the contest he did in San Diego but back then he was the first competitive bodybuilder known to have a striated butt.

One magazine stated that no one has been that ripped before.

Ernie's "secret" was eating nothing but raw fish for seven weeks before his contest.

I'll contact Ernie this week and see if he can join us and tell some of these stories. He has some WILD tales to tell from those days of BB.

I spoke to him just last week. He called to tell me that he is back to training and might be competing
once again.

I don't think I was ever in SM GOld's when the brothers were not there. It was like their second home. When I first met them, I called them the "Lumberjacks" because of their workout clothes.
I still run into one of them every time I go back for a visit. Last time we got togehter with Pete and had a decent lunch, but nothing "crazy" happened on that occasion as far as I can recall.

Those were the days when everyone seemed to be a unique character. Everyone who worked out at Gold's back then is worth telling a story about. I wish I had paid more attention.

Who remembers Marty Gentle? He trained with the Brothers a few times before he moved back to ALabama.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2005, 10:42:04 AM »
Kevin... I think I know who you are! Remember your old training partner and my roomate (for a month) Greg from Boston? Are you THAT Kevin.

Were you talking about Pete Grymko or Peter Paul?

I also remember Ernie Santiago. Yes he was ripped.

[attachment deleted by admin]
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2005, 12:01:24 PM »
Stallone's first wife Sasha used to train at Gold's Venice with a trainer. She started at the Gym on 2nd street and was still training after the Gym moved to Hampton Dr.

A guy a know from Rochester named Scott (I can't remember his last name) was a Stallone look-a-like if there ever was one. One day he walks in and I was standing next to Sasha and watched her do a double-take.

I looked over and said "looks like someone you know, doesn't he?

She goes... Damn I thought it was him at first!

It was funny but I guess you had to be there.

Man this thread has me living in the past.
and keep moving!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2005, 12:10:22 PM »
Max,have you got any Samir stories.

Protein Jones

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2005, 12:12:45 PM »
These stories are great  ;D  It always gives me a sense of nostalgia, even though I wasn't there.  You don't usually see that sort of camaraderie among the pros of today.