Author Topic: Dave Mustaine has cancer.  (Read 11833 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Dave Mustaine has cancer.
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »
it actually has 4 good songs.

unforgiven.
sad but true.
my friend of misery.
the god that failed.

Subjective, again.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Subjective, again.

of course. how could it be anything different.

doesnt mean its pointless to mention your favorite songs.

it is however entirely pointless to say that something that is obviously subjective is subjective.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
of course. how could it be anything different.

doesnt mean its pointless to mention your favorite songs.

it is however entirely pointless to say that something that is obviously subjective is subjective.

Then you’d say, I like four songs on it, or something to this effect.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2019, 02:50:37 PM »
Worthless to a kneegrow, sure. I can see understand this.

After all, highly accomplished instrumental facility, music created using architecture based upon sophisticated musical theory and challenging arrangements wouldn’t be to taste for an intellectually-struggling darkie.

You stick with your oingo-boingo hitting-rocks-together-simplistic rap crap.

I don't listen to rap. Once again you make yourself look like an ass.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »
Been here 50,000 years.

Invented a stick.

You're gay and special.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »
I don't listen to rap. Once again you make yourself look like an ass.

Sit on it.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
it actually has 4 good songs.

unforgiven.
sad but true.
my friend of misery.
the god that failed.

Unforgiven, yep ok.   What makes a big change on the black album though was the move away from the guitar work on previous justice and puppets albums.

The black album got Metallica mainstream but they fucked up trying to evolve when there was absolutely zero reason for them to move away from the sound/production they had with the black abum.

If everybody wants vanilla icecream and you sell vanilla icecream, dont dump it and switch to lemon trying to tell everybody its better.....

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
I LOVE that record, but I wouldn’t rank Jeff among my fave Mega axemen. Not to suggest he’s not a really good player. I’d even say he’s underrated in the discussions. But his competition is formidable. Anyway, isn’t he now, like, some flamenco dude or something?

Very good guitarist, no doubt.

Deth has never had a weak second six-stringer.

Yep.

He's also batshit crazy. I followed him on FB for a while but it was nothing but non-stop conspiracy garbage and promoting his podcast.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2019, 07:07:10 PM »
Certainly they are in quality of instrumental accomplishment.

James (I’m not counting Cliff, although I have always felt his legend is overrated) is Metallica’s guitar star. His rhythm playing on those early records (ALL performed by him alone) is a benchmark for tight thrash riffing.

Each and every soloist in Megadeth crushes Kirk to an extent that isn’t even funny. Hammboy recorded several distinguishing leads on the classic albums, absolutely, but he’s nowhere technically. And his playing has been deteriorating to shit these past two decades. He obviously doesn’t care.

Lars, while a “unique” drummer, isn’t exceptional in any way. And again, some of his early playing was inspired, if not accomplished.

In regard recorded quality, I’d give Metallica the slight edge for the first four, but after that, in totality, it’s not even close.

Megadeth smokes Metallica.

Well said.

Technically Megadeth are superior musicians.

Lars is atrocious. He’s literally de-volved as a drummer.  He doesn’t even reliably keep time live.

With that said, I still reach for Metallica first over Megadeth if I want a retro metal fix.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2019, 02:16:49 AM »
I like to put it this way, to me Metallica’s old stuff is like having sex with a really hot chick you never forget and are always down for it. Megadeth is like a cute girl who’s always true and loyal to you in the long run and delivers on a daily basis but deep down you can’t forget the chemistry you had with the hotter one. I really like em both but for a quick fix I’d pick the first 4 Metallica albums.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2019, 02:20:59 AM »
Well said.

Technically Megadeth are superior musicians.

Lars is atrocious. He’s literally de-volved as a drummer.  He doesn’t even reliably keep time live.

With that said, I still reach for Metallica first over Megadeth if I want a retro metal fix.

Exact same thing could be said about Kirk. He really was a decent player in the 80s and now I literally can't think of a worse guitar player.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2019, 04:55:01 AM »
I respect your preference for Metallica, but tone it down, man.

For every argument for Metallica, an equal argument can be made for Megadeth.

It's kind of like pro wrestling in the 80's.  The masses loved the WWF and the hardcore fans the NWA, AWA, World Class, UWF, etc and didn't enjoy the WWF's "sell out" mass appeal.  With wrestling I was a hardcore fan and didn't like the "sellout" WWF.  With metal I am the opposite. :)

Redux

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
Getting kicked out of Metallica had to have been tough, but in the end he won by not having to spend another minute around Lars.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »
Getting kicked out of Metallica had to have been tough, but in the end he won by not having to spend another minute around Lars.
I wonder how well Lars and James get along?

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
it almost sounds like youre saying that kirks guitarplaying  is worse than lars drumming?

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
it almost sounds like youre saying that kirks guitarplaying  is worse than lars drumming?

I am not a guitar player so I will reserve comment on Kirk’s abilities.  I am however a drummer of 30+ years and it is literally shocking how bad Lars is.  I say this as a huge fan of some of Metallica’s recordings. 

It is as though Lars hasn’t bothered to practice in decades.  The proof is watching him play live vs listening to Pro Tools enhanced Metallica studio recordings which clean up all of his slop. 

The other night I clicked a YouTube modern day live Metallica performance of “Orion” from MOP......this is straightforward 4/4 stuff....no intricate double kick or blast beats anywhere in the song.  Lars couldn’t even consistently keep a backbeat.  His fills sounded like a teenager with a couple of years under his belt of playing.  His tempo was ALL OVER the place.  The sad part is that this kind of playing has become the norm for Lars and not the exception.

Pains me to say this because I used to hold AJFA up as a high water mark of metal drumming....even if Lars had incredible assistance from producer Flemming Rasmussen to get those tracks down on tape.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
interesting comment.

all i can say is that i found the drums on AYFA "lacking" ;-)

basically they sound like milk cartons too me.

but i suppose its not all technique to judge lars and kirk, one has to include the actual drum and guitar creative parts. for example the slow drums in sad but true or some of kirks solos.

so even if theres a ton of people who would do it better, they would first have to do it (in other words, create it)

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
Yes drum sound on AJFA is controversial with clicky kick drums and super dry toms.  The whole album had a certain feel to it that was pretty much a love or hate thing.

Sad but True is a great example of Lars sounding monstrous with lots of space between notes which made whole song sound incredible.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
I wonder how well Lars and James get along?

Well do you wonder or don’t you wonder?

(Teachable Moment: A question mark in your sentence is not required.)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »
Basically they sound like milk cartons too me.

To and too. Not particularly difficult.

It’s TOO hot. That movie is TOO long. You’re hungry, TOO?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
To and too. Not particularly difficult.

It’s TOO hot. That movie is TOO long. You’re hungry, TOO?

The title Dumb and Dumber To made sense though.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 04:33:53 PM »
"And Justice for Jason".

How the album would have sounded with bass, if it wasn't for Ulrich.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
"And Justice for Jason".

How the album would have sounded with bass, if it wasn't for Ulrich.

Much meatier sounding.

Jason got a bum deal in Metallica.  Nice guy and well spoken.

Even though I rag on Ulrich pretty hard.....the group wouldn’t be the same without him. 

Anna Recksiek

• Getbig III
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »
Fuck Metallica - I wasn’t a fan before I saw that movie about them and couldn’t believe they were such pussies. The new bass player is good but he joined a shit band  but at least he’s getting paid now.
Anyway, it’s sucks that the thread about the Megadeth guy getting cancer turned into a metallica thread

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2019, 03:09:11 AM »
Fuck Metallica - I wasn’t a fan before I saw that movie about them and couldn’t believe they were such pussies. The new bass player is good but he joined a shit band  but at least he’s getting paid now.
Anyway, it’s sucks that the thread about the Megadeth guy getting cancer turned into a metallica thread
All metal threads turn into a Metallica thread because they are the greatest metal band ever!  Mustaine was an original member so there's that as well.