Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 75776 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #525 on: November 16, 2022, 03:53:15 AM »
 CORY EVERSON ... A HALL OF FAME RECIPIENT
Cory Everson (Corinna Kneuer) was born in 1958 in Racine, Wisconsin. She was a straight "A" student at Deerfield High School in Deerfield, Illinois, where she competed in four sports; gymnastics, track and field, badminton and swimming. As If not enough, she was part of the active cheerleading squad.
Cory received a scholarship to the University of Wisconsin/ Madison, where she captured four Big-Ten Conference pentathlon titles and competed in National Championships.
While attending the University, Cory met Jeff Everson, a competitive bodybuilder who worked at the University as a strength coach. He had graduated com laude and attained a post-graduate degree in physical education.
Jeff also achieved All-American status in the shot put and hammer throw and won the National Collegiate Weightlifting Championship.
Jeff encouraged Cory to weight train and soon they began competing in couples' bodybuilding contests. They married in 1962.
Following her graduation from the University, Cory won the 1980 Ms. Mid-America contest and placed third with Jeff at the 1980 American Mixed-Pairs Championships.
In 1981. she developed a blood clot in her left leg, putting her in a hospital's intensive care unit for weeks. The recovery began with water therapy, then to stationary cycling and walking without crutches. Still, she found her way back to the gym and ended the year winning three physique titles.
Cory and Jeff went on to capture the 1981 National Mixed-Pairs crowns and in successive years they won the 1982 IFBB North American Mixed-Pairs and 1983 US Bodybuilding Championship Couples titles.
Cory's leap to international fame occured in 1984, when she won her first IFBB Ms. Olympia contest, defeating former Ms. Olympia titleholders, Rachel McLish and Carla Dunlap.
Cory earned the distinction of wearing the Ms. Olympia crown for the next five years prior to retiring from competitive bodybuilding.
Cory appeared on more than 100 magazine covers and brought women's bodybuilding to an all-time high in popularity. Her movie credits include: Double Impact, Natural Born Killer, and Ballistic.
 She made numerous television appearances on such popular shows as: Home Improvement, Charmed, Hercules, the Legendary Journey, and Louis & Clark.
She was the original host of the ESPN TV fitness show, BodyShaping, and then starred on Cory Everson's Gotta Sweat, which ran for seven years.
Her best selling books; Fat Free & Fit, and Cory Everson's Workouts, serve as motivational tools for men and women attempting to better themselves.
Cory was inducted into the Joe Weider Hall of Fame in 1999, and the Muscle Beach-Venice Bodybuilding Hall of Fame in 2005. At the 2007 Arnold Sports Festival, she was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award, making her the first female to have attained this honor.   
&t=787s
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #526 on: November 16, 2022, 05:46:48 AM »
CORY EVERSON ... A HALL OF FAME RECIPIENT
Cory Everson (Corinna Kneuer) was born in 1958 in Racine, Wisconsin. She was a straight "A" student at Deerfield High School in Deerfield, Illinois, where she competed in four sports; gymnastics, track and field, badminton and swimming. As If not enough, she was part of the active cheerleading squad.
Cory received a scholarship to the University of Wisconsin/ Madison, where she captured four Big-Ten Conference pentathlon titles and competed in National Championships.
While attending the University, Cory met Jeff Everson, a competitive bodybuilder who worked at the University as a strength coach. He had graduated com laude and attained a post-graduate degree in physical education.
Jeff also achieved All-American status in the shot put and hammer throw and won the National Collegiate Weightlifting Championship.
Jeff encouraged Cory to weight train and soon they began competing in couples' bodybuilding contests. They married in 1962.
Following her graduation from the University, Cory won the 1980 Ms. Mid-America contest and placed third with Jeff at the 1980 American Mixed-Pairs Championships.
In 1981. she developed a blood clot in her left leg, putting her in a hospital's intensive care unit for weeks. The recovery began with water therapy, then to stationary cycling and walking without crutches. Still, she found her way back to the gym and ended the year winning three physique titles.
Cory and Jeff went on to capture the 1981 National Mixed-Pairs crowns and in successive years they won the 1982 IFBB North American Mixed-Pairs and 1983 US Bodybuilding Championship Couples titles.
Cory's leap to international fame occured in 1984, when she won her first IFBB Ms. Olympia contest, defeating former Ms. Olympia titleholders, Rachel McLish and Carla Dunlap.
Cory earned the distinction of wearing the Ms. Olympia crown for the next five years prior to retiring from competitive bodybuilding.
Cory appeared on more than 100 magazine covers and brought women's bodybuilding to an all-time high in popularity. Her movie credits include: Double Impact, Natural Born Killer, and Ballistic.
 She made numerous television appearances on such popular shows as: Home Improvement, Charmed, Hercules, the Legendary Journey, and Louis & Clark.
She was the original host of the ESPN TV fitness show, BodyShaping, and then starred on Cory Everson's Gotta Sweat, which ran for seven years.
Her best selling books; Fat Free & Fit, and Cory Everson's Workouts, serve as motivational tools for men and women attempting to better themselves.
Cory was inducted into the Joe Weider Hall of Fame in 1999, and the Muscle Beach-Venice Bodybuilding Hall of Fame in 2005. At the 2007 Arnold Sports Festival, she was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award, making her the first female to have attained this honor.   
&t=787s

She looks perfect.  not like the freaks 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #527 on: November 16, 2022, 11:16:18 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #528 on: November 16, 2022, 01:13:39 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #529 on: November 17, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »

&t=31s   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #530 on: November 17, 2022, 10:18:03 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #531 on: November 18, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »

&t=129s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #532 on: November 19, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »
  LENDA MURRAY... A FEMALE LEE HANEY
Lenda Murray, born in Detroit, Michigan in 1962, is hailed as the world's finest female bodybuilder. She was involved in athletics since her junior high school days. At Henry Ford High School, as a record-holding sprinter, she was named All-City in track-and-field and was a varsity cheerleader.
Lenda attended Western Michigan University where she majored in political science, with a minor in English. At the University, she continued to cheerlead and became the  second  African-American chosen as the schools home-coming queen. Following graduation, she became a member of the cheerleading squad for the professional football team, the Michigan Panther's.
Murray began bodybuilding in 1985. Following three months of weight training, she placed fourth at that years NPC  Michigan State competition. Inspired by her good showing, Lenda went on to win the contest the following year. 
After winning the 1989 NPC Junior Nationals. Lenda earned her professional status at the IFBB North American Championships. She then became a regular presence in bodybuilding magazines and a favorite subject of physique photographer, Bill Dobbins, who featured her in his book, The Women and Modern Amazons. Her startling figure and proportions awarded by her six straight IFBB Ms. Olympia titles from 1990 through 1995.
During that time, Lenda's average yearly income was over $300,000. At the height of five-feet, five-inches and weighing 155 pounds, her best training lifts included a 185 pound bench press and a 315 pound squat. 
In 1996 and 1997, Murray was runner-up to Kim Chizevsky at the Ms. Olympia event, and retired from competitive bodybuilding after her second loss. She commented, "Years of hard training and dieting, had left me burned out. I felt I needed a rest. My husband, Urel McGill, and I were opening our gym in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and the concern of finding a location, buying equipment and starting a fitness facility was too demanding for me to concentrate on competition."
Following a four year layoff, Lenda made a return to competition in 2002, to capture her seventh Ms. Olympia title, at the age of 40. In 2003, she won again, however, in 2004, she placed second to Iris Kyle, and again retired from competitive bodybuilding.
During the early 2000's, Lenda had been featured in the mainstream publications, Ebony, Mademoiselle, People, Vanity Fair and Sports Illustrated. Her physique had become the standard against which professional female bodybuilders are judged: an hourglass figure, with broad shoulders, tapering into a V shaped torso, mirrored by a proportionally developed lower body.   
Currently residing in Los Angeles, (2010)California, Lenda is single and lives with her cats, Martin and William. A grandmother of 11 and stepmother of  four, she closed this interview by saying, "Finally, I'm doing what I want to do."
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #533 on: November 19, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »

F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #534 on: November 20, 2022, 01:45:02 AM »
Lenda looks really good today.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #535 on: November 20, 2022, 06:29:40 AM »
    DORIAN YATES ... SIX TIME MR. OLYMPIA
During the years 1992 to 1998, the IFBB Mr. Olympia crown belonged to Englishman Dorian Yates, who competed at the height of five-feet, eleven-inches, while weighing  between 255 and 265 pounds.  His bodybuilding regimen became known as "blood-and-guts" training, which advocated several exercises and few sets per body part. This theory was advocated by Arthur Jones of Nautilus Sports/Medical Industries, Inc, and  was the preferred method of training for bodybuilding champions, Casey Viator and the Mentzer brothers. Although he suffered serious training injuries, Dorian maintained a physique which defied description. His appearance set new standards for others to follow.
Dorian Yates, born April 19, 1962, in Sutton Coldfield, England, was raised on a small farm and showed no interest in athletics as a child.  He lost his father to a heart attack at age 13. 
In his late teens, Yates joined a white supremacy group, shaved his head, wore reinforced steel-toed boots, and spent weekends in local clubs listening to hard-rock music. This lifestyle led to a six-month internment in a detension center, where at age 19, he took up weight-trainng to gain the respect of the 300 inmates. Dorian commented, "I realized if I didn't modify my ways, I may end up in-and-out of prison all of my life. I was determined not to let this happen."
In 1963, Dorian took up serious strength-training at the Temple Gym in Birmingham. He and his future wife, Debbie Chin, took over the small  basement weight room in 1967, and equipped it to suit his training needs. With tons of free weights and dumbbells up to 220 pounds, Temple Gym became a Mecca for hard-core weight-training.
Dorian began winning major physique contests in England in1986. He traveled to New York City in 1987, to finish second in his professional debut at the IFBB Night of Champions. He returned the following year to win the event.
Yates was runner-up to Lee Haney at the 1991 IFBB Mr. Olympia contest and from 1992 through 1997, he dominated the sport by winning the event.
With prize money for six "Olympia" victories amounting to approximately $600,000, Dorian retired from competitive bodybuilding. His professional record stood at 15 victories and two runner-up's, ranking him as one of Britain's most successful bodybuilders.  Assisted by Peter McCough, editor-in-chief of Flex Magazine, Dorian authored "Warrior's Story," published in 1998.
In the early 2000s, Yates continued to run Temple Gym and stated, " I just want to keep fit and heathy and stay in decent shape. That's it! I try not to irritate the injuries I've built up over the years."
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #536 on: November 20, 2022, 06:31:46 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #537 on: November 20, 2022, 06:48:55 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #538 on: November 21, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
   RONNIE COLEMAN ...A PHOTO IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS
Ronnie Coleman is the oldest of four children. His mother, a single parent, worked at a car wash to help support the family. Ronnie assisted by holding down one or two jobs after school and worked weekends to help with his mother's financial burdens.
Growing up in Bastrop, Louisiana, population 15,000, Ronnie graduated from high school in 1982. He played football for four years at Grambling State College, where he graduated cum laude and earned a degree in accounting.
Winner of eight consecutitive IFBB Mr. Olympia titles, Coleman evolved into one of the largest, strongest, and most muscular physiques in the history of bodybuilding.
In 1989, prior to his bodybuilding career, Ronnie was recruited into the Arlington, Texas, Police Department, but two years later, he relinquished his $46,000 policeman's salary to have more time for training and traveling. At the peak of his bodybulding career, he earned nearly $500,000 annually from prize money, endorsements and guest appearances.
Within a year of training at Brian Dobson's Metro Flex Gym, in Arlington, Coleman, the 215 pound neophyte with 20-inch flexed upper arms, had increased his bodyweight to 230 pounds. He was squatting 500 pounds for 20 reps, deadlifting 700 pounds, leg pressing nearly a ton, and performing walking lunges in the gym's parking lot with 350 pounds.He could bench press 500 pounds and handle 405 pounds for reps in bent-over rows.
The highlights of Ronnie's bodybuilding career are scattered throughout the 45 physique contests he entered. He holds the record for the most wins as an IFBB professional, with 26 victories.
In 2001, at the height of five-feet, 11-inches and weighing 265 pounds, Coleman became the first to capture the IFBB Mr. Olympia and the Arnold Classic in the same year. He dominated the Mr. Olympia contest from 1998 through 2005.
When asked to elaborate on the biggest competition during his professional career, Ronnie stated, "My biggest competition was myself. I mean no disrespect, but I didn't look at any of the guys as rivals for the simple reason I couldn't control how they were going to look. I could only control how I looked."
In 2004, one of the most disciplined bodybuilders in the sport, Cole                                                                                                                                                                         man released the video, "Ronnie Coleman: The Cost of Redemption". It showcased his campaign for that years IFBB Mr. Olympia title.
The video features Ronnie at his heaviest on-stage bodyweight of 296 pounds, doing lifts which included: 160 pound dumbbell shoulder presses; 800 pound squats; 2,250 pound leg presses; 495 pound bench presses; 75 pound alternated dumbbell curls; and an 800 pound deadlift.
In 2010, at age 46, Coleman had this advice for the world, "Find a job you love and you'll never have to work another day in your life."
The extreme weights Coleman used over the course of his career competing as a powerlifter and bodybuilder, took a toll on his body and he has undergone numerous surgeries since 2007. These include two hip replacements and various attempts at alleviating chronic pain from damaged intervertebral discs.
Ronnie has continued to train despite his deteriorated condition, but could only use light weights now to try to prevent muscle loss as of 2018, and some of his surgeries had  such poor outcomes that he may never be able to walk unassisted again. Coleman uses a wheelchair if he has to travel long distances.
However, Ronnie has said that he does not regret his choices and admits that he was determined to be the best bodybuilder at any cost; he said that, if anything, he regrets not having done even more to consolidate his legacy.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2022, 10:53:32 AM »

&t=74s   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #540 on: November 22, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »
   ANTHONY CLARK
Anthony Clark was born in the Philippines in 1966. As a skinny youngster, he was picked on by neighborhood bullies. At age 13, his family moved to Houston, Texas, where he began weight training with his father's rusty-neglected 110 pound Sears weight set. He stated, "I thought if I built up my body, I could protect myself."
In 1981, at age 14, Anthony set his first record with a 370 pound bench press. At age 17, he set a high school bench press record of 520 pounds, and at age 19, he was the first teenager to bench press 600 pounds. In 1992, he became the first to reverse-grip bench press 700 pounds.
In 1997, at the height of five-feet, eight-inches, and weighing between 335-345 pounds, Clark completed a 1,025 pound squat, an 800 pound reverse-grip bench press, and a 771 pound dead lift, for a record total of 2,596 pounds.
 Unfortunately, after videotapes of his 1,025 pound squat revealed that he did not squat until his upper thighs were parallel, even though the lift was passed by three official judges, this record was erased from some record books.
At the time, Anthony's neck measured 22 1/2-inchs; chest, 62-inches; upper arms, 24 1/2-inches; waist, 42-inches, and thighs, 33 1/2-inches.
Regarding his eating habits, Anthony commented, "I normally consume five or six meals per day. I try to eat  as nutritionally as possible, taking in low-fat, low carbohydrates and high-protein meals. I require between 7,000 and  8,000 calories each day to keep my bodyweight up. My food bill runs between $1,000 and $1,300 a month. Thank God I have sponsorships to help feed me."
It was reported that what Clark did to make himself so large and powerful also made him unhealthy. His overeating and use of anabolic steroids were revealed in an Iron Man magazine article in which he admitted he wanted to stop abusing both, but  was not convinced he could. He worked with teenagers, and said it bothered him when they asked if he took steroids.
During an ecceptance speech at the 1998 York Barbell Hall of Fame awards, Anthony remarked, "I want to thank God for me being here, and I want to thank all of you for supporting me. Without you, there wouldn't be a me. The claims and achievements are great; however, I want people to know me for my spirit and not my accomplishments."
Through the early 2000s, Clark spent approximately 270 days a year on the road, participating in exhibitions, motivational speaking, and spreading the gospel to youth groups. He commented, "Anthony Clark and the Warriors, a power team for Jesus, spreads the word and a positive anti-drug and self-esteem message to 200,000 to 300,000 children each year."
In 2004, Clark was asked how he cared to conclude this interview and he replied, "I'll see you at the finish line, whenever that is." 
Anthoney Clark died in 2005, at age 38, from a massive heart attack.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2022, 12:31:12 PM »

F

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »

A Very unhealthy looking individual.
Squat was high ,
Bench press more than deadlift !! WTF

And a Noggin to Rival BWanky's Colossus !!

Died far to Young.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2022, 05:40:16 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2022, 01:25:57 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #545 on: November 28, 2022, 06:56:05 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #546 on: November 29, 2022, 12:35:29 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #547 on: November 30, 2022, 06:19:00 AM »

&t=64s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #548 on: December 01, 2022, 07:00:51 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »

F