Author Topic: Gov. Rick Scott orders random drug tests for state workers  (Read 949 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
 Source: Miami Herald

Gov. Rick Scott orders random drug tests for state workers

BY AARON SHAROCKMAN AND MARC CAPUTO
HERALD/TIMES TALLAHASSEE BUREAU

TALLAHASSEE -- — On the same day a bill was filed to make good on Gov. Rick Scott’s pledge to require people receiving welfare to pass drug tests, he signed an executive order that would make state workers take them, too.

Sen. Paula Dockery, R-Lakeland, offered legislation on Scott’s behalf in the Criminal Justice Committee Tuesday to require that all cash-assistance welfare recipients over the age of 18 pay for and receive a drug test. One official estimated that this would affect about 58,000 people.

The governor’s executive order requires all prospective hires under his direction to take a drug test and orders that all current employees be subject to random drug screenings, affecting potentially 100,000 people. If tests cost the state $35 each, it could add up to $3.5 million.

The ACLU says the random testing proposal was ruled unconstitutional in a 2004 ACLU case against the state Department of Juvenile Justice

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Gov. Rick Scott orders random drug tests for state workers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
Scott owns a chain of clinics that do drug tests, among other services. 

In fact, his company is the only one in Florida authorized to do physicals for commercial drivers licenses.

He avoided this potential "Conflict of Interest" by transferring the stock in the company to his wife's name ;)

We'll see if his own company is the one handed 3.5 million bucks to do the tests.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »

In fact, his company is the only one in Florida authorized to do physicals for commercial drivers licenses.

He avoided this potential "Conflict of Interest" by transferring the stock in the company to his wife's name ;)
We'll see if his own company is the one handed 3.5 million bucks to do the tests.

how is his wife owning all these clinics still not a conflict of interest?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
how is his wife owning all these clinics still not a conflict of interest?

I think it's a good idea and all welfare recipients should also be subjected to tests but I do find this a bit disconcerting.

But, are there any other clinics available? And if so, are they as good as the one his wife owns? What is it costing the state and what would it cost to use any of the other clinics?

Again...yes, it is a bit "Strange"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
I think it's a good idea and all welfare recipients should also be subjected to tests but I do find this a bit disconcerting.

But, are there any other clinics available? And if so, are they as good as the one his wife owns? What is it costing the state and what would it cost to use any of the other clinics?

Again...yes, it is a bit "Strange"

I'm fine with the drug testing but it should be done by a company with no ties at all to the governor

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm fine with the drug testing but it should be done by a company with no ties at all to the governor

Agreed.

But what if it's the only clinic in the state capable of handling the size of the drug tests? Do they go out of state? And if they do...what if it costs more?

Sorry for playing the "240's Advocate", but I'm feeling fiesty today.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

How does he own the company if he isn't the stockholder? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
Agreed.

But what if it's the only clinic in the state capable of handling the size of the drug tests? Do they go out of state? And if they do...what if it costs more?

Sorry for playing the "240's Advocate", but I'm feeling fiesty today.

we're probaby discussing a non-issue

I'm sure there are many labs in Fla that can handle the job that aren't associated with the governor and from 240's first couple of posts he only mentioned that Scotts company is the only one who is do physicals for commercial drivers licenses.

btw - IMO - it's a joke to pretend that just because the stock has been transferred to the wifes name that somehow the conflict of interest no longer exists.   I'm sure they share a household, have joint expenese, file a joint tax return etc..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
How does he own the company if he isn't the stockholder? 

I suppose it comes down to "is it cool to put all the stock in your wife's name"?

The millions of dollars per year will still go directly into his family's purse.  It'll just be in her name, not his.

If Obama was giving a billion dollars per year to "Michelle's Florists", we'd all be hella pissed.  "but but but, it's in his wife's name, he's not a stockholder" sure wouldn't hold up!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
I suppose it comes down to "is it cool to put all the stock in your wife's name"?

The millions of dollars per year will still go directly into his family's purse.  It'll just be in her name, not his.

If Obama was giving a billion dollars per year to "Michelle's Florists", we'd all be hella pissed.  "but but but, it's in his wife's name, he's not a stockholder" sure wouldn't hold up!

I'm just asking about your claim that "Scott owns a chain of clinics that do drug tests, among other services," followed by your statement that "He avoided this potential 'Conflict of Interest' by transferring the stock in the company to his wife's name."  How does he own the company if he transferred the stock in the company to his wife?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 11:59:08 AM »
Palm Beach Post:

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott reorganizes health agencies, cuts spending and pushes for new free-market health policies, his ownership of Solantic, the urgent care chain, increasingly poses conflict of interest questions.

Solantic co-founder Karen Bowling says Scott has taken steps to distance himself from the chain. He stopped regular business calls with her after he was elected.

“I don’t talk to him anymore. Not since November. Really not much since April,” Bowling said.

Scott left the privately held company’s board of directors in January 2010, during his campaign.

But the most important step the governor must take to avoid a conflict of interest, some ethics experts say, is to divest his Solantic interests.

In January, Scott did transfer his Solantic stock – to his wife.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm just asking about your claim that "Scott owns a chain of clinics that do drug tests, among other services," followed by your statement that "He avoided this potential 'Conflict of Interest' by transferring the stock in the company to his wife's name."  How does he own the company if he transferred the stock in the company to his wife?   

I dunno, maybe it has something to do with joint assets under a binding contract of marriage.  Just because your house is in your name doesn't mean your wife doesn't own it as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
Palm Beach Post:

As Florida Gov. Rick Scott reorganizes health agencies, cuts spending and pushes for new free-market health policies, his ownership of Solantic, the urgent care chain, increasingly poses conflict of interest questions.

Solantic co-founder Karen Bowling says Scott has taken steps to distance himself from the chain. He stopped regular business calls with her after he was elected.

“I don’t talk to him anymore. Not since November. Really not much since April,” Bowling said.

Scott left the privately held company’s board of directors in January 2010, during his campaign.

But the most important step the governor must take to avoid a conflict of interest, some ethics experts say, is to divest his Solantic interests.

In January, Scott did transfer his Solantic stock – to his wife.

O.K.  And?  How does he own the company if he transferred the stock to his wife?  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
I dunno, maybe it has something to do with joint assets under a binding contract of marriage.  Just because your house is in your name doesn't mean your wife doesn't own it as well.

O Rly?  News to me.  So you're saying all assets owned by one spouse are automatically owned by the other? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »
O.K.  And?  How does he own the company if he transferred the stock to his wife? 

oh brother.  you're playing lawyer-ball here ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:16:02 PM »
O Rly?  News to me.  So you're saying all assets owned by one spouse are automatically owned by the other? 

i dont think FL is a community property state but it's ridiculous to think that he can just transfer his stock to the wife and pretend that he is still not benefiting from the profits of the company

It would be no different than if his wife started the company, soley owned it and ran it

There would still be a conflict of interest if he was directly state business to her company

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
;)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=352188.0

PIP

i dont think FL is a community property state but it's ridiculous to think that he can just transfer his stock to the wife and pretend that he is still not benefiting from the profits of the company

it may be legal, it's just pretty bad looking, IMO. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
Good bill, good EO.  Go Scott.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »

Depends on the state, after looking it up, Florida is not a community asset state so strike my previous statement.