Author Topic: Is Obama’s war on marijuana intended to help the Mexican Drug Cartels?  (Read 1000 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama’s foolish war on marijuana (Obama Regime Doing Bidding of Mexican Drug Cartels?)
Daily Caller ^ | December 1, 2011 | Kristin Davis

When it comes to the subject of marijuana, Barack Obama appears to talk out of both sides of his mouth. As a candidate, Obama intimated that he would respect state laws regarding medicinal marijuana and would not prosecute medicinal marijuana sales and use in states where it is legal. “It’s not a good use of our resources,” he said at the time. When Obama took office, the Justice Department released a memo that seemed to confirm that position. But in the years since Obama’s inauguration, his administration has shifted course. Now, Attorney General Eric Holder is vigorously prosecuting medicinal marijuana growers and sellers.

That effort appears to be intensifying. On October 7, Obama directed his Justice Department to employ an aggressive array of enforcement actions against California’s medicinal marijuana producers and distributors, as well as the landlords who lease space to operators of marijuana dispensaries. All told, President Obama’s Justice Department has conducted well over 150 federal raids in at least seven states, and U.S. attorneys have threatened local and state officials in 10 states with criminal prosecution for failing to adopt proposed medicinal marijuana laws.

In September, the administration unveiled an online petition system that allows people to start their own petitions and sign other people’s petitions. Petitions that receive more than 5,000 signatures are supposed to get reviewed by White House officials and receive an official response. Petitions expire one month after they are created. Two of the most popular petitions concern marijuana. One of them, which received 17,026 signatures, calls for the administration to stop interfering with state marijuana efforts. The other, which received 74,169 signatures, calls for the administration to legalize, regulate and tax marijuana.

The administration responded to both petitions with the same vague, factually unsupported form letter. The letter states that, “Our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug’s effects,” and that although “we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem,” “the President’s National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts.”

This is the same tired excuse that the Bush administration offered for its opposition to the legalization of medicinal marijuana.

If the Obama administration recognizes arrests are not going to solve the problem, then why are we spending $14 billion a year on marijuana-related arrests? Why are people being sentenced to life in prison for marijuana-related crimes? And more importantly, why did Obama direct the Justice Department to target dispensaries a week after these petitions received the minimum amount of signatures necessary to receive a response?

The fact is, marijuana is less deleterious to the human body than alcohol. In fact, there are no scientific studies that conclusively prove that marijuana poses real health risks to humans. To the contrary, 16 states have recognized its medical benefits and legalized it for medicinal use. By hiding behind the “science” that doesn’t exist, the Obama administration is trying to brush off the 74,000 Americans who signed the petition to legalize marijuana and the 70% of voters who would like to see medicinal marijuana legalized. This administration’s marijuana stance makes neither scientific nor political sense.

Fortunately for voters, there is a presidential candidate who supports legalizing marijuana: former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson. Sadly, Johnson has been systematically excluded from the Republican debates and has not had the opportunity to articulate his bold plans to reform the nation’s drug laws. I hope that Johnson will seek the Libertarian Party nomination next year, since it appears that the Libertarian candidate will be on the general election ballot in all 50 states. Pro-marijuana voters can expect nothing from Barack Obama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things that make you go  hhhhmmmmmmmm??????

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Is Obama’s war on marijuana intended to help the Mexican Drug Cartels?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/medical-marijuana-federal-interference_n_1137745.html

LOL.   Obama's not demanding Holders' resignation speaks volumes! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
so after 4 years of seeing weed use is still rampant, the POTUS has decided to shift strategies.

Letting state law enforcement conquer the weed problem hasn't worked.  They said "let us handle it", and hey, it's still pretty bad.

So he's shifting to have federal resources to prosecute the people who grow tons of weed and distribute it.   How many years would you allow failed state policies to "try" before you'd take over, 333386?  Obviously, I dont give a shit about weed use, I dont use it but it is the law.

So the POTUS realizes he let the states do their thing and they can't stop it.  So he's prosecuting them on a federal level. it's the law and the leader of the USA is utlizing more powers to ensure it is enforced.  What the hell are you complaining about?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
so after 4 years of seeing weed use is still rampant, the POTUS has decided to shift strategies.

Letting state law enforcement conquer the weed problem hasn't worked.  They said "let us handle it", and hey, it's still pretty bad.

So he's shifting to have federal resources to prosecute the people who grow tons of weed and distribute it.   How many years would you allow failed state policies to "try" before you'd take over, 333386?  Obviously, I dont give a shit about weed use, I dont use it but it is the law.

So the POTUS realizes he let the states do their thing and they can't stop it.  So he's prosecuting them on a federal level. it's the law and the leader of the USA is utlizing more powers to ensure it is enforced.  What the hell are you complaining about?
So your idea is that instead of him coming to grips with the fact that its an impossible mission, instead he's has to take away state rights and move it to the federal level so he can fail with a whole new level of epicness?
The federal government is much less efficient and is going to spend far more. I guarantee moving it to the federal level is going to fail harder. Whats he going to do then?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
So your idea is that instead of him coming to grips with the fact that its an impossible mission, instead he's has to take away state rights and move it to the federal level so he can fail with a whole new level of epicness?
The federal government is much less efficient and is going to spend far more. I guarantee moving it to the federal level is going to fail harder. Whats he going to do then?

I'm saying, if I was potus, I'd say "hey states, I gave you 3 years, and this is worse than ever".

Then I would see what other options exist.  EIther keep the states in charge, which is insanity, doing things the same way, and expecting some diff outcome...

or he uses his federal power to prosecute some criminals. 

I don't understand the problem here - he's using another tool to stop drug dealers.  We're really siding with drug dealers over obama?  Like, "hey, we know the states aren't doing shit to stop you, and we're cool with that"...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I'm saying, if I was potus, I'd say "hey states, I gave you 3 years, and this is worse than ever".

Then I would see what other options exist.  EIther keep the states in charge, which is insanity, doing things the same way, and expecting some diff outcome...

or he uses his federal power to prosecute some criminals. 

I don't understand the problem here - he's using another tool to stop drug dealers.  We're really siding with drug dealers over obama?  Like, "hey, we know the states aren't doing shit to stop you, and we're cool with that"...
Only way to stop drug dealing is to legalize the drug.
Fact.
Prohibition is a great example. Look dude - as long as people want to get high (read - as long as there are people, people are going to want to get high), there will be drug dealers.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Only way to stop drug dealing is to legalize the drug.
Fact.
Prohibition is a great example. Look dude - as long as people want to get high (read - as long as there are people, people are going to want to get high), there will be drug dealers.

hey, i'd be fine with legalization if they prosecuted the shit out of anyone who drives stoned or gives the stuff to kids.

However, that's another discussion.  In this case, it's the law.  The states are unable to enforce the law, and the demand for drugs continues to rise. 

So Obama is saying "States, you have had 3 years to stop this shit.  You didn't.  So it's time to use federal resources to enforce the law"

There are lots of things to shit on obama for, but this seems like he's just adapting to their inability to stop drugs.  I dunno what the complaint is.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
hey, i'd be fine with legalization if they prosecuted the shit out of anyone who drives stoned or gives the stuff to kids.

However, that's another discussion.  In this case, it's the law.  The states are unable to enforce the law, and the demand for drugs continues to rise.  

So Obama is saying "States, you have had 3 years to stop this shit.  You didn't.  So it's time to use federal resources to enforce the law"

There are lots of things to shit on obama for, but this seems like he's just adapting to their inability to stop drugs.  I dunno what the complaint is.
Its a failure just like prohibition, and the fed isnt going to do any better than the states did. Hell the fed cant even curb incoming flow with SOUTHCOM having almost as much cash flow as the rest of the fucking military.
Federal resources are not the right thing to do when they simply cannot win - just like with prohibition. And we all know how that turned out. Its a failed law and its a waste of resources and dollars, and nothing the federal government can do is going to stop that. People want to get fucked up and as long as people want that, there will be people breaking the law to supply them. Its just a fact - and Obama should know this, he should know bringing in a huge inefficient government to try and tackle a nationwide problem is going to be a bigger failure than the states doing it.

Tell me 240, how is the federal government going to bring MORE resources to bear at the state level, than the states themselves? I mean really, how is the federal government going to police all 50 states for drug dealing better than the states themselves? Youre talking HUGE government oversight on a level that does not exist.

And of course its would be just like alcohol - no minors and no driving, pretty sure thats a no brainer.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Its a failure just like prohibition, and the fed isnt going to do any better than the states did.

I dont know if you can back that up.  "any better" = ?

An increase in arrests?  If the feds go out and arrest ONE DRUG DEALER tonight, then they've already done better because its 1 more arrest than we would have had (the fed is only adding to the states arrests, not preventing them, right?)

So if the feds only arrest 5% of the ppl that the states are stopping... well its still a 5% incrase.  So what's the problem?

ANY increase is an increase.  Maybe it's not worth the cost, etc - that could be a good argument - but even if the fed doesn't do "BETTER" - any increase is a good thing.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I dont know if you can back that up.  "any better" = ?

An increase in arrests?  If the feds go out and arrest ONE DRUG DEALER tonight, then they've already done better because its 1 more arrest than we would have had (the fed is only adding to the states arrests, not preventing them, right?)

So if the feds only arrest 5% of the ppl that the states are stopping... well its still a 5% incrase.  So what's the problem?

ANY increase is an increase.  Maybe it's not worth the cost, etc - that could be a good argument - but even if the fed doesn't do "BETTER" - any increase is a good thing.
*Shakes head*
Ever heard of the DEA? Every state in the country has a FEDERAL anti-drug task force in it.
SOUTHCOM gets almost as much funding if not more than the war zones. And they do nothing but fight drug smuggling in central and south America.

The federal is already very much involved in every state. And its still a failure. Bringing more to bear isnt going to help anything. They cant make a dent now, even with the hundreds of billions of dollars spent. You really dont know how much money the federal government throws at the drug war, do you? Its not like its a "state only" affair.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
And no 240, even 1 more arrest doesnt = better, cause 5 more will just step up to fill his spot. The problem is NOT the dealers - the dealers are simply a product of people wanting to get high, and since its illegal, the only people that will touch selling it are going to be criminal types. The problem is people. And no amount of government oversight is going to change human nature, no matter how much money they bring to bear. Its a huge waste of money and time and theyd do much better to legalize the mild stuff and tax it, and regulate it. Guess what? No more dealers. No more hundreds of billions spent with little to no effect.

Its a losing fight. The more they spend, the bigger the failure, as they will (and do) just keep spending without ever getting anywhere. But they go to the ignorant public and parade around some big busts like it makes a difference, the only difference is now somebody else that may have been a consumer is now stepping up to buy and someone else is doing the smuggling. It never ends.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Government workers, cops, da's , corrections officers, judges, social workers, et al love the drug war.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
And no 240, even 1 more arrest doesnt = better, cause 5 more will just step up to fill his spot. The problem is NOT the dealers - the dealers are simply a product of people wanting to get high, and since its illegal, the only people that will touch selling it are going to be criminal types. The problem is people. And no amount of government oversight is going to change human nature, no matter how much money they bring to bear. Its a huge waste of money and time and theyd do much better to legalize the mild stuff and tax it, and regulate it. Guess what? No more dealers. No more hundreds of billions spent with little to no effect.

Its a losing fight. The more they spend, the bigger the failure, as they will (and do) just keep spending without ever getting anywhere. But they go to the ignorant public and parade around some big busts like it makes a difference, the only difference is now somebody else that may have been a consumer is now stepping up to buy and someone else is doing the smuggling. It never ends.

wait, now the reason the feds shouldn't get involved because the war on drugs is a pointless effort? 

that's a who different argument now (and one that i probably agree with lol).

But if we're talking about taking down the largest possible number of drus dealers, then yes, Fed resources + state efforts > state efforts alone.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
wait, now the reason the feds shouldn't get involved because the war on drugs is a pointless effort?  

that's a who different argument now (and one that i probably agree with lol).

But if we're talking about taking down the largest possible number of drus dealers, then yes, Fed resources + state efforts > state efforts alone.

What crack pipe are you smoking? Thats whats already going on - theres DEA anti-drug task forces in every effing state at work RIGHT NOW, as there has been for years.
Did you even read my post?

USSOUTHCOM (US Southern Command, US Military SOUTH) has more fucking funding than both middle east wars! And all they do is fight drug smuggling in central and south America!
The DEA is working with LEO's all across the country in every state already. Theyre tapped fighting drugs. The government literally cannot engage anymore than it already is.

The fed is very much involved on the state AND global level, and they cant do shit. Bringing more to bear means siphoning off from other agencies or increasing taxes to create a new agency, because theyre already tied up with everything they have in every state across the US.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
And here we have the typical leftist knee jerk illogical reaction to a simple issue.  Instead of addressing the problem, they go after the symptom making things far worse and not doing a damn thing but waste tax payer dollars and resources.

Hey, the rich make too much money and they should pay their fair share, lets tax them more instead of fixing all the loop holes they use to avoid paying taxes (ala Berkshire Hathaway owing the IRS over $1 billion in back taxes).

Hey, drugs are a problem, lets increase drug enforcement and put away more drug dealers instead of removing drug dealers from the the scenario all together by regulating and taxing drugs.

Herp derp derp...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
I don't know if they're helping all the cartels but both ours and the Mexican govt. are favoring the Sinaloa cartel. Not that the Zetas have anyone but themselves to blame with their brutality.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Pelosi calls on Obama to respect states’ rights, end medical marijuana raids (Hussein's fault!)
Yahoo ^ | 5/03/12 | Steven Nelson
Posted on May 3, 2012 10:15:44 PM EDT by Libloather

Pelosi calls on Obama to respect states’ rights, end medical marijuana raids
By Steven Nelson | The Daily Caller – 5 hrs ago

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi wants President Barack Obama to lay off the weed.

Reacting to an ongoing crackdown on medical marijuana facilities in California, Pelosi said in a Wednesday statement, “I have strong concerns about the recent actions by the federal government that threaten the safe access of medicinal marijuana to alleviate the suffering of patients in California.”

The California Democrat said that medical marijuana is “both a medical and a states’ rights issue.”

California legalized the use of medical marijuana in a 1996 initiative vote. It’s comically easy for many residents to acquire the necessary medical diagnosis to legally purchase the drug.

In 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the Obama administration would “effectively end the Bush administration’s frequent raids on distributors of medical marijuana.”

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Medical Marijuana: Obama's War On Pot Ramps Up In Colorado, Key Swing State
Posted: 05/08/2012 12:35 pm Updated: 05/08/2012 1:13 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/medical-marijuana_n_1498694.html

Get Denver Alerts:

Barack Obama , Denver News, Drug Violence, Barack Obama , Medical Marijuana, Video, Obama Marijuana Policy, Colorado, Denver Colorado, Marijuana, Marijuana, Marijuana Rights, Mmj, Obama 2012, Pot Legalization, Denver News

In its official party platform, the Colorado Democratic Party endorses the legalization of marijuana.

In March, 56 percent of the Denver County Republican Assembly voted to support legal and regulated pot, a question which will be on the November ballot.

And the state's Department of Revenue has announced it is seeking reclassification of marijuana to allow doctors to prescribe it as medical treatment.

The state has embarked on an ambitious effort to regulate its thriving medical marijuana industry. When it comes to marijuana policy, Colorado's voters, businesses, tax collectors, doctors and policy makers are moving forward. The lone holdout: President Barack Obama.

On Sunday, 25 medical marijuana centers across Colorado closed their doors in response to a Department of Justice crackdown which did not appear rooted in state or local law, as the administration had previously promised it would be.

The Obama administration, through U.S. Attorney John Walsh, ordered the centers in March to either move, shut their businesses down, or face criminal charges because, according to Walsh, they were within 1,000 feet of a school.

Although nothing in Colorado's medical marijuana law specifies the distance between a shop and a school, the decision, like most such zoning matters, is left to local communities.

"I can see no legitimate basis in this judicial district to focus the resources of the United States government on the medical marijuana dispensaries that are otherwise compliant with Colorado law or local regulation," Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett told Walsh in a recent letter. "The people of Boulder County do not need Washington, D.C., or the federal government dictating how far dispensaries should be from schools, or other fine points of local land use law.”

In mid-January, letters were sent from Walsh to 23 other medical marijuana businesses in Colorado. Those have since shut down, bringing the total number of shops shuttered as a result of Obama's coordinated effort to 47. (One center pointed out that the school it was near was no longer in use and the order was withdrawn).

The push against the Colorado businesses and the patients they serve is just the latest in the Obama administration's bizarre action against a plant that was at one point a cultural flash point, but which now religious leader Pat Robertson says should be legal.

The timing is also curious given the upcoming November election. Colorado's nine electoral college votes are up for grabs, and Obama's path to reelection gets very steep without the state in his corner. The legalization amendment on the ballot in November could drive otherwise complacent voters to the polls, but they may not end up backing Obama. Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson is not ashamed to tout his support of pot legalization, threatening to syphon protest votes that otherwise would have gone to Obama.

The U.S. attorneys involved in the national crackdown, whether in California, Colorado, Rhode Island, Washington state or Delaware, insist that they are not participating in a national crackdown.

A spokeswoman for the DOJ referred questions to Walsh, but patients and shop owners are putting the blame squarely on Obama. "Attention All Patients! On May 6, this medical marijuana center will be closed and will no longer be able to provide you with your medicine. By order of the Obama Administration," reads a sign on one center shuttered Sunday.

In a letter to Garnett, Walsh reiterated his intent to close all dispensaries operating within 1,000 feet of a school, and noted these closures are "not at the direction of Washington, D.C., but [at Walsh's direction] as U.S. Attorney and as a Coloradan."

The reasoning behind the 1,000-foot boundary stems from federal law, which uses that measurement in drug-crime sentencing. There are many dispensaries in Colorado that were approved by state authorities, according to High Times, to be within 1,000 feet of schools

Marijuana, on the federal level is illegal, which gives the Obama administration every right to kick in the doors of dispensaries wherever it pleases -- raising the question of why it needs to use provisions not found in state law to target them.

In 2008, Obama was quoted in Rolling Stone saying, "I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws [on medical marijuana]."

Shortly after Obama took office, the DOJ, citing Obama's campaign promise, issued the Ogden Memo, vowing not to waste federal resources targeting patients and those who provide them medical marijuana as long as they remained compliant with state law. The memo led to the flowering of Colorado's medical marijuana industry. The DOJ now says people misinterpreted the memo.

During an April interview with Rolling Stone, the president tried to explain amid the ongoing crackdown, suggesting it is aligned with his original intent.

"What I specifically said was that we were not going to prioritize prosecutions of persons who are using medical marijuana," Obama said. "I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana -- and the reason is, because it's against federal law."

The president continued: "I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.' What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

The executive branch, contrary to Obama's assertion, has broad discretion over how it uses its limited resources. It is not forced to execute campaigns against medical marijuana shops based on the distances they are built from schools. It is free to reclassify marijuana as a drug to make it less restricted and more accessible, as several states have requested.

A December 2011 survey released by Public Policy Polling showed that a large group of Coloradans believe marijuana should not just be legal medically, but fully legalized. From the Public Policy report:

Coloradans are even more strongly in favor of legalizing marijuana, and they overwhelmingly believe it at least should be available for medical purposes. 49% think marijuana use should generally be legal, and 40% illegal. But explicitly for medical use, that rises to a 68-25 spread. Just five years ago, a referendum to legalize simple possession by people over 21 failed by 20 points. On the medical question, Democratic support rises from 64% for general use to 78%; Republicans rise from 30% to 50%, and independents from 54% to 75%.

While the administration cracks down on medical marijuana shops, the Campaign To Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, a collective of marijuana activist groups and individuals including SAFER, Sensible Colorado, NORML and others, succeeded in getting a recreational-use legalization initiative on the November 2012 ballot.

Known as Amendment 64, the measure recently received support from both Republicans and Democrats -- in March, 56 percent of the delegates at the Denver County Republican Assembly voted to support the legislation, and in April, the Colorado Democratic Party officially endorsed Amendment 64 and added a marijuana legalization plank to the current party platform.

Obama's war on medical marijuana also raises questions about job loss. "These are regular businesspeople who have invested a lot of money getting into this industry," Steve Fox, spokesperson for the Marijuana Policy Project, which is planning to invest at least $1 million in backing Amendment 64, said in an email.

"No one, as far as I know, is looking to be a martyr by directly challenging U.S. Attorney Walsh's order to close. Many of the medical marijuana centers are relocating, but some are unable and some others are just giving up and getting out of the business."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
bump