Author Topic: Would you be okay with this change to the "Gun show loophole"?  (Read 750 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
We all know that guns cost SO MUCH MORE when you buy them from a stranger at a gun show. 

And in general, guns are readily available to those who are legally able to buy. 

I don't like the loophole allowing "anyone" to sell rifles and handguns to "anyone" with zero paperwork at gun shows. 
Fifty terrorists could attend 10 gun shows and leave with enough AK-47s to mow down a shopping mall. 

I can understand "I dont want anyone knowing who i am or what guns i have"... but maybe just a criminal background check to enter the trading grounds? - Zero felons can even ENTER the gun show?  Therefore any private exchanges are between people without 5 felony charges or perhaps on a terr'ist watchlist?

I understand wanting to hide everything from the gub/mint... but it does worry me that felons with enough money can buy 100 guns in a weekend if they're willing to pay a 50% markup with zero paperwork.  Thoughts?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Would you be okay with this change to the "Gun show loophole"?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
I think you are being silly and it's hilarious.

I have no issue with it.  (Buying guns at gun shows without background checks)

Felons do not buy guns at gun shows... They buy them from the guy on the corner out of the van.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
Just my opinion.. it's been my experience criminals don't buy guns from gun stores or gun shows. They either steal them from people who don't keep them locked up in their homes, or leave them under the front seat of their car. Burglaries are the main source of guns getting into the hands of the bad guys around here. Then those who steal them, will either sell them on the street to others, give them to their homies, or trade them for crack rocks. I think creating a false sense of security by having everyone who buys a gun at a store or show go through a process just misses the mark.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
Felons do not buy guns at gun shows...

There's a lot of ATF documentation here that says otherwise
http://campaigntoclosethegunshowloophole.org/asset.asp?AssetID=18409&AKey=LMCFL7Y3

"Felons were associated with selling or purchasing firearms in 46% of the gun show investigations.Firearms that were illegally diverted at or through gun shows were recovered in subsequent crimes including homicide and robbery, in more than a third of the gun show investigations."

Now, I agree many are bought on the street... but when we're talking RIFLES and high end shit... I dunno how many AKs I could buy in the streets of my town, but I do know I could leave with ten of them if I had $20,000 to spend at the gun show, I know this because the men walk around with a rifle with "For sale" from it.

I love the 2nd amendment and I'm fine with keeping the loophole open... however, maybe just something to keep felons from being allowed into that area of trade?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »
When they investigate who is buying them at gun shows... 46% of the people have a felony record.  I'm not saying they don't ALSO steal them from cars, houses, etc.  However, if HALF of the people in that little "trading pit" at the lunch table section of gun shows have a felony conviction... I think it kinda makes my case that screening them is a good idea.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
I don't see why something cant be done about gun shows. Been to a ton of gun shows and they are a bit shady.  You find good deals though and people are willing to barter.  Bought something from a guy once who had a stack of The Turner Diaries in his van.

A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
When they investigate who is buying them at gun shows... 46% of the people have a felony record.  I'm not saying they don't ALSO steal them from cars, houses, etc.  However, if HALF of the people in that little "trading pit" at the lunch table section of gun shows have a felony conviction... I think it kinda makes my case that screening them is a good idea.

I don't buy it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
People go to gun shows and do alot of impulse buying and collecting. The vast majority of gun collectors do so at gun shows because you get a wide varity of historical pieces and hard to find weapons. A buddy of mine has over 300 fire arms and gets alot of stuff at gun shows. He tracks the big ones or the ones known for having certain types of weapons and flies out to the shows. He's a huge MAC-10 collector, cav pistols, British sterlings etc. He's the kinda guy who has to have every different version, knows the history of the weapon etc. He holds all the Fed certificates for silencers, automatic weapons etc. He buys and sells guns all the time and there are alot of guys like this. None are criminals. I've been to the turkey creek gun show in KY...alot of white folks buying alot of  pretty rare and cool shit.  We really shouldn't give an inch on any of this. I'm not willing to do anything because it just leads to more and more.
L

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »
People go to gun shows and do alot of impulse buying and collecting. The vast majority of gun collectors do so at gun shows because you get a wide varity of historical pieces and hard to find weapons. A buddy of mine has over 300 fire arms and gets alot of stuff at gun shows. He tracks the big ones or the ones known for having certain types of weapons and flies out to the shows. He's a huge MAC-10 collector, cav pistols, British sterlings etc. He's the kinda guy who has to have every different version, knows the history of the weapon etc. He holds all the Fed certificates for silencers, automatic weapons etc. He buys and sells guns all the time and there are alot of guys like this. None are criminals. I've been to the turkey creek gun show in KY...alot of white folks buying alot of  pretty rare and cool shit.  We really shouldn't give an inch on any of this. I'm not willing to do anything because it just leads to more and more.

You're absolutely right.  Historical pieces are on of the reasons I go. Bulk deals too
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
the ATF results are there, and from my own visual inspection of the people muddling around at a table willing to pay $2000 for an AR-15 that is hundreds less on a table 100 feet from there, I have to think it's not all about "rare historical pieces".

I am cool with not tracking paperwork so the govt doesn't know who has what if that's the goal of people... but really, should a felon even be allowed INTO a gun show?  I mean, it doesn't take much to bring your own mag and load a gun you're "looking at". 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
next time you go to a gun show, please, look at the refreshment area.   in my county, it's where those selling the guns sit down to talk scratch the buyers.  The prices are always insanely high, and sorry, but it's not WWI relics they're selling.  It's usually glocks and rifles.  And you see the same sunglass-wearing, ILS-posture prick all day, with fresh glocks every hour, as he sells them for $900 each to people who for some reason choose not to pay $550 at a table for the same weapon, new.

It's strawman, plain and simple, and there are only TWO reasons a person would use a strawman at a gun show to pay more $ for the same gun:
1) They wish the avoid paperwork on a legal sale, which my system of "no felons get in door" covers, or
2) They wish to buy a gun they could not buy legally - felons.   

Now, we can ignore the stats from the ATF, but they do recognize that 46% of the people who bought loophole guns were felons.  the other 54% would NOT be affected by my rule change idea.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
the ATF results are there, and from my own visual inspection of the people muddling around at a table willing to pay $2000 for an AR-15 that is hundreds less on a table 100 feet from there, I have to think it's not all about "rare historical pieces".

I am cool with not tracking paperwork so the govt doesn't know who has what if that's the goal of people... but really, should a felon even be allowed INTO a gun show?  I mean, it doesn't take much to bring your own mag and load a gun you're "looking at". 

How would you propose screening out felons at a gun show?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty of collectors - and I'm sure they're not felons.

However, the FACT that almost half of people buying the guns ARE felons is a pretty big deal.  I mean, yes, 80% of the people on the road at midnight aren't drunk... why should police bother busting the 20% of people who are driving drunk?  weak argument that "only" 46% of the people buying the guns are felons.

As far as the logistics, gimme a break, they could work something out... a simple pass/fail with the drivers license scan at the door or something - IF it would take hundreds of thousands of illegal gun buyers out of circulation, they'd find a way.  They can verify checks in 3 seconds at checkout lanes now... you're telling me they can't have a simple pass/fail for felony convictions?  Sorry, I think they could do it.

Really, i think eventually, it's going to be this OR the dems will get white house and both houses and just end the loophole entirely.  But I guess no plan - until the dipshits come up with an ultra-lib plan - is the way to go.  Sure worked well on healthcare, right?  Pre-empt the Dems on this issue with this common sense move.  To enter a gun show, you cannot be a felon.  It's not exactly rocket science here. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of collectors - and I'm sure they're not felons.

However, the FACT that almost half of people buying the guns ARE felons is a pretty big deal.  I mean, yes, 80% of the people on the road at midnight aren't drunk... why should police bother busting the 20% of people who are driving drunk?  weak argument that "only" 46% of the people buying the guns are felons.

As far as the logistics, gimme a break, they could work something out... a simple pass/fail with the drivers license scan at the door or something - IF it would take hundreds of thousands of illegal gun buyers out of circulation, they'd find a way.  They can verify checks in 3 seconds at checkout lanes now... you're telling me they can't have a simple pass/fail for felony convictions?  Sorry, I think they could do it.

Really, i think eventually, it's going to be this OR the dems will get white house and both houses and just end the loophole entirely.  But I guess no plan - until the dipshits come up with an ultra-lib plan - is the way to go.  Sure worked well on healthcare, right?  Pre-empt the Dems on this issue with this common sense move.  To enter a gun show, you cannot be a felon.  It's not exactly rocket science here. 

You honestly think half the people at gun shows buying the guns are felons? Hahahaha, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. And no, I don't care what a fucking government-commissioned study claims. Nor do I care what some clearly biased website does, either.

Your gullibility never ceases to amaze me.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
Guns are for pu$$ies.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:01 PM »
The devil is in the details.

I don't have an issue with requiring background checks for a gun purchases. So long as they don't start coming up with a bunch of BS "reasons" why people aren't allowed to buy guns.  Also, I wouldn't support it if the records were kept indefinitely or turned over to the .gov.  I have a real problem with so-called "assault weapon" bans and the banning of magazines over 10 rounds.  I do not support requiring firearms to be in some national registry or database.  That I do not support that nonsense and any politician who votes for it will never get my vote again.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
Fifty terrorists could attend 10 gun shows and leave with enough AK-47s to mow down a shopping mall. 
::)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »
Here's what gets me.. the rhetoric and passion surrounding the 2nd amendment and the gun "control" debate. Americans coming out of the woodwork to argue they have the right to buy assault rifles and high capacity rounds and this and that... like it really makes a difference in their every day life. But what is missing is the outrage, the passion over the fact the government is spending our money like drunken sailors, threatening higher taxes, cuts in SS, wounded vets are treated like annnoyances to be swept under the carpet and the most we get is a cute picture post on Facebook.  $250,000 spent to remodel a government officials office BATHROOM and it garners 2 days worth of discussion and it's forgotten...

I'm not saying debating how much to control the ability to buy and sell firearms isn't important, I'm just suggesting we really don't have our priorities in order

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
This shit was settled along time ago but Baryy cannot fix anything else because he's stupid and lazy and a seriously believes that sinking our economy is the way to get everything he wants. We have an massive ongoing economic crisis that he refuses to seriously tackle. He could care less about foreign affairs unless its a chance to travel. He wants to be a rock star, not president. The shooting in Conn was a political convenience. Imagine that not happening, what would now dominate headlines instead?
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
Here's what gets me.. the rhetoric and passion surrounding the 2nd amendment and the gun "control" debate. Americans coming out of the woodwork to argue they have the right to buy assault rifles and high capacity rounds and this and that... like it really makes a difference in their every day life. But what is missing is the outrage, the passion over the fact the government is spending our money like drunken sailors, threatening higher taxes, cuts in SS, wounded vets are treated like annnoyances to be swept under the carpet and the most we get is a cute picture post on Facebook.  $250,000 spent to remodel a government officials office BATHROOM and it garners 2 days worth of discussion and it's forgotten...

I'm not saying debating how much to control the ability to buy and sell firearms isn't important, I'm just suggesting we really don't have our priorities in order
Well the ppl who control the agenda control the dialogue...

obama has made it more than clear that guns, gays and immigration are ahead of the economy for his second term.

THE ADMINISTRATION HAS ADMITTED AS MUCH