Author Topic: Giancarlo Stanton traded to the NY Yankees  (Read 7620 times)

Joe Pietaro

• Getbig III
  • Publisher, MuscleSport Magazine
Re: Giancarlo Stanton traded to the NY Yankees
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
Yes, but I'm less high on Cole.  Fullmer's the move that makes the most sense, provided they don't give up Torres or Florial.  If not, the roll the dice with Sheffield maybe and wait for the trade deadline to see what's available.

Andujar can play third if they don't sign Frazier.

Machado doesn't makes sense, given what I said about needing to stay under the luxury tax cap, and his predicted arb #'s.  Then again, if the Yankees feel they can get him for prospects they deem expendable, you never know.

Valid points all around. Fulmer is a bigger chip than Cole. No matter what Cashman does  - or doesn't  - do now, he has still had a very positive offseason with many improvements on paper. I didn't like the change at manager and felt Girardi was the right guy for this team. But that remains to be seen how they fare with a rookie skipper.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Valid points all around. Fulmer is a bigger chip than Cole. No matter what Cashman does  - or doesn't  - do now, he has still had a very positive offseason with many improvements on paper. I didn't like the change at manager and felt Girardi was the right guy for this team. But that remains to be seen how they fare with a rookie skipper.

Agree with everything except the Girardi.  As I've said, I've grown weary of his in game decisions, but if what the Yankees are saying is true about his ability to connect with the younger players, I believe them.
Y

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
Agree with everything except the Girardi.  As I've said, I've grown weary of his in game decisions, but if what the Yankees are saying is true about his ability to connect with the younger players, I believe them.
I think it's downright disrespectful. You should have to rise the ranks (or at least have some managerial experience) before you are just handed the  job of coaching arguably the most famous franchise in American sports.

Just a hypothetical, but don't you think a guy like Mattingly would be more deserving? How about the guys managing the minor league clubs? Boone just gets to skip over all of them? I believe they picked him to be the ultimate puppet on a string. The front office will tell him how to run the team.

As a side note, what is your opinion on what Jeter is doing with the Marlins? Marlins fans are hating his guts right now.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
Agree with everything except the Girardi.  As I've said, I've grown weary of his in game decisions, but if what the Yankees are saying is true about his ability to connect with the younger players, I believe them.

I think it's downright disrespectful. You should have to rise the ranks (or at least have some managerial experience) before you are just handed the  job of coaching arguably the most famous franchise in American sports.

Just a hypothetical, but don't you think a guy like Mattingly would be more deserving? How about the guys managing the minor league clubs? Boone just gets to skip over all of them? I believe they picked him to be the ultimate puppet on a string. The front office will tell him how to run the team.

As a side note, what is your opinion on what Jeter is doing with the Marlins? Marlins fans are hating his guts right now.
X

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
I think it's downright disrespectful. You should have to rise the ranks (or at least have some managerial experience) before you are just handed the  job of coaching arguably the most famous franchise in American sports.

Please elaborate.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Good questions SF, but I disagree.  

Right now the front office should have more leeway and trust because everything Cashman touches turns to gold.  The went from an old, heavy contract laden team needing a rebuild to a perennial WS contender in less than a year.  Anyone with baseball knowledge and familiarity with their farm system knows just how loaded they are.   Many regular, everyday players were acquired for the baseball equivalent of nothing.

So, if they are setting themselves up for a run and they want a manager who is in line with their thought process, is a great communicator, respected by his peers, and statistically oriented, more power to them.   Why use a guy like Mattingly, who many consider a horrible manager, just because he has "experience".

As for your Jeter / Marlins question, the purchasers of that team inherited 400M in debt, and Loria purposely backloaded the Stanton deal because he knew he was selling and wouldn't have to deal with it.   They have to gut the team and start over, no matter how unpopular that may be at the moment.  Stanton had them over a barrel with his NTC clause, so they didn't have much choice there either.
Y

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »
Lol!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
Good questions SF, but I disagree.  

Right now the front office should have more leeway and trust because everything Cashman touches turns to gold.  The went from an old, heavy contract laden team needing a rebuild to a perennial WS contender in less than a year.  Anyone with baseball knowledge and familiarity with their farm system knows just how loaded they are.   Many regular, everyday players were acquired for the baseball equivalent of nothing.

So, if they are setting themselves up for a run and they want a manager who is in line with their thought process, is a great communicator, respected by his peers, and statistically oriented, more power to them.   Why use a guy like Mattingly, who many consider a horrible manager, just because he has "experience".

As for your Jeter / Marlins question, the purchasers of that team inherited 400M in debt, and Loria purposely backloaded the Stanton deal because he knew he was selling and wouldn't have to deal with it.   They have to gut the team and start over, no matter how unpopular that may be at the moment.  Stanton had them over a barrel with his NTC clause, so they didn't have much choice there either.

But Don Mattingly had a badass mustache. That has to count for something.
X

Joe Pietaro

• Getbig III
  • Publisher, MuscleSport Magazine
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2017, 07:29:17 AM »

There has been whispers about his relationship with the younger players, but I try and look at the overall picture and that team was built to contend in 2018. Girardi had them in the ALCS when they were a surprise to even qualify for the Wild Card. And the core of the team consists of younger players.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:01 AM »
There has been whispers about his relationship with the younger players, but I try and look at the overall picture and that team was built to contend in 2018. Girardi had them in the ALCS when they were a surprise to even qualify for the Wild Card. And the core of the team consists of younger players.
Girardi got fired from the Marlins after he won manager of the year. So you know he isn't the easiest guy to get along with.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »

The players got them there, despite Girardi.   ALDS decision was one of the worst I've seen - Pete Carrol not using Lynch type stuff.
Y

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »
I've been reading rumors all day about the Yankees trading Clint Frazier. He was a pleasant surprise during the  summer of 2017 for the Yankees.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »
I've been reading rumors all day about the Yankees trading Clint Frazier. He was a pleasant surprise during the  summer of 2017 for the Yankees.

His bat speed is legendary.

But NY has a glut of OFs due to Stanton acquisition.

If they could get Ellsbury to waive his NTC, they might be able to make room.

But Garnder / Hicks will control CF.
Y

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »

I noticed the hands behind the back.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
Yankees just Signed CC Sabathia to a 1 year deal for $10 million

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »
Yankees just Signed CC Sabathia to a 1 year deal for $10 million

there's a clause in his contract that opposing batters are not allowed to bunt on him.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
Giancarlo earlier this week, accepting the NL MVP award. At the 1:30 mark he gave an extensive “thank you” to his parents. Very down to earth. Very respectful.

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Giancarlo Stanton is going to the NY Yankees
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
He's not available for a few years.

He may be the best player ever.   Wish he was on a team that contended.

I think Barry Bonds just rolled over in his grave. Trout better than Bond oh brother  ::) ::) ::)