Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 555787 times)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Anthony Riches,

Wounds of Honour
Arrows of Fury
Fortress of Spears

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
£6.99 from Amazon, free p&p

By Delia Smith - Ebury Press (2009) - Hardback - 312 pages - ISBN 0091933064
Happy Christmas, with love from Delia. Delia has long been the person we turn to for stress-free Christmas celebrations. This year, she celebrates 40 years of writing recipes and brings you Delia's Happy Christmas -- the definitive guide to all aspects of cooking for Christmas.This cookbook will help you to plan your Christmas festivities to the very last culinary detail, acting as an invaluable Christmas organiser from reminding you to make your Christmas pudding and chutneys in November to giving you a crucial countdown for the Last 36 Hours. Delia's Happy Christmas will give you 150 recipes, including 100 new recipes and 50 much-loved classics, plus menu… more »
Add to Shopping List

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »
Wuthering Heights recently.  I read it when I was like 15, again when I was maybe 30 and again this year, I adore the total madness of it all...

They've made approx 10 movies of it.  I'm glad I read the book first though, the book is always better.

The new movie of Wuthering Heights has no musical soundtrack, it is all just twigs snapping and wind blowing and Heathcliffe saying "Fuck right off"  ...Cathy gasps and faints.

The best Wuthering Heights was on the BBC approx 10 years ago with Tom Hardy with long hair, it was fantastic.  Have you seen Tom Hardy lately, (I have, he lives near here and I just smiled at him) he's grown up and had tats and put on muscles and done more than 20 off-beat movies since Wuthering Heights.

Hey ho, there's a fog (and a movie soundtrack) on them there moors, yeahhhhh Emily!
xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
From what I read, Ann had a weird lifestyle.

Ayn darlin', please at least spell her name right.  She was bonkers.  Google/UTube her and watch her vids

Read that tome at least 3 times in your life, once when you're young and impressionable, the second time when you're a bit grown up?

xL

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2011, 04:38:27 PM »
Brokeback Mountain II: Electric Bugaloo ?

Ha!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
Home Comforts

Home Comforts is something new. For the first time in nearly a century, a sole author has written a comprehensive book about housekeeping. This is not a dry how-to manual, nor a collection of odd tips and hints, a cleaning book, a history book, or an arid encyclopedia compiled by a committee or an institute. Home Comforts is a readable explanation for both beginners and experts of all the domestic arts -- choosing fabrics, keeping the piano in tune, caring for books, making a good fire in the fireplace and avoiding chimney fires, ironing and folding, setting up a good reading light, keeping surfaces free of food pathogens, and everything else that modern people might want to do for themselves in their homes. But this reliable and thorough book on the practicalities of housekeeping is also an argument for the importance of private life and the comforts offered by housekeeping.

Cheryl Mendelson is a philosopher, lawyer, sometime professor, and a homemaker, wife, and mother. Home Comforts is based on her domestic education, which she acquired while growing up on a farm in the hills of Greene County, in southwestern Pennsylvania, from her grandmothers, aunts, and mother. Learning from the distinct domestic styles of her native Appalachian relatives and her Italian immigrant relatives, she appreciated early on how important domestic customs are to a sense of comfort and identity in life. She writes out of love and respect for her subject, and hopes to inspire others to develop the affection and respect for home life and housework she was fortunate to have learned.

Mendelson addresses the meanings as well as the methods of housekeeping with a keen sense of the history and values involved. The result is a warm, good-humored, engagingly written book with a message and a point of view, one that is overflowing with useful reflections and information. The clarity, breadth, and depth of the information collected here are unparalleled. You can read Home Comforts for thoughtful entertainment or use its ample index to help you find the answers to practical domestic questions. There is nothing quite like it.

Among this book's unique features:

· A skeptical discussion of the excessive use of disinfectants in the home. · How to iron a dress shirt and how to fold sheets. · How to make up a bed with hospital corners. · How to do all basic sewing stitches. · How to choose proper sizes for sheets, tablecloths, and other household linens. · How to set the table for informal and formal meals. · Expert recommendations for safe food storage. · The most exhaustive and reliable information on fabrics, textile fibers, and their laundering, drying, and other care that exists for nonprofessionals. · A thorough explanation of care labels and why and how you should often (carefully) disregard them. · Housekeeping guidelines for people with pets or with allergies. · What to do about dust mites. · How to clean and care for wood, china and crystal, jewelry, ceramic tile, metals, and more. · Guides to stain and spot removal. · Extensive recommendations for improving home safety. · A summary of laws applicable to the home, including privacy, accident liability, contracts, and domestic employees.·

· 200 Elegant, Clear Drawings ·

Show More

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »

Ayn darlin', please at least spell her name right.  She was bonkers.  Google/UTube her and watch her vids

Read that tome at least 3 times in your life, once when you're young and impressionable, the second time when you're a bit grown up?

xL

Yes, read Ayn Rand's garbage once, then either burn it or give it to your worst enemy. Lousy book with annoying, wooden characters, and a plodding storyline overbearingly promoting her ridiculous ideology she labeled "objectivism."
!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »
 I take it that you thought her female characters too strong and her writings about men somewhat weak?

I'll also suppose that you didn't bother to finish it?  You got past maybe page 100?  It is a bit hard to take and I'm saying that as a woman.

Nevertheless, I shalln't allow you to dislike her works.

The second time I read it I skipped John Galt's speech because I'd heard it all before and it's mind-bogglingly repetetive.  Yes.

But I decided it wasn't a plodding storyline half way through the first time I read it 20 years ago and instead reckoned it was a modern perspective on a world gone mad...

You wouldn't understand me.  But I felt I ought defend dear old mad dead for years Ayn.  Thanks
xL

when I moved from Toronto to New York and then to London, I brought 21 books.  That one was the biggest and I still have it.  I only buy or find books in hardcover.  I left War and Peace behind.  I told them I was a writer when I crossed the border and I had to pay tons of money for all that outsize baggage I carried but it was worth it.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
If you'd care to dip in and out of Ayn Rand and do the shorter works first, try The Fountainhead.  

Anthem is ridiculous and We The Living is atrocious.  But go there anyways...

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »
Here's one, I read it earlier this year, a truly lovely book and you can get it for £1 online.  

You might have to be English and older than 30 to get the plot, but it's just a total mess of full-on love.  An adorement of food, full of descriptions and smells and feelings?  

a fab read, 9/10 recommended, 5 stars.  They made a movie of it recently which I've just seen with Helen Bonham Carter bending over the cooker in a green 50s kitchen with the top of her stockings and a bit of her garters showing and the young lad looking on longingly?

xL

But read this book before you watch the movie.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
I take it that you thought her female characters too strong and her writings about men somewhat weak?
My opinion on Rand's weak literary abilities has nothing to do with the gender of the characters. You are playing me small...I am not that shallow a man.  ;) There was really only one "strong" female character in "Atlas Shrugged" anyway, Dagny Taggart, a character Ayn Rand clearly modeled on her ideal image of herself.

I'll also suppose that you didn't bother to finish it?  You got past maybe page 100?  It is a bit hard to take and I'm saying that as a woman.
Wrong.
I finished "Atlas Shrugged", despite the fact that I began to dislike the plot the farther I progressed. I very rarely leave a book unfinished, and with Rand I needed to definitively know what the hype was all about.

Nevertheless, I shalln't allow you to dislike her works.
lol
You don't have a say in the matter, sweetheart.

The second time I read it I skipped John Galt's speech because I'd heard it all before and it's mind-bogglingly repetetive.  Yes.

But I decided it wasn't a plodding storyline half way through the first time I read it 20 years ago and decided it was a modern perspective on a world gone mad...
Good for you. I thoroughly disagree.

You wouldn't understand.  But I felt I ought defend dear old mad dead for years Ayn.  Thanks
What "wouldn't I understand"?  ::)
Defend Rand all you want"xxxLinda"...her writing still sucks.  ;)

when I moved from Toronto to New York and then to London, I brought 21 books.  That one was the biggest and I still have it.  I left War and Peace behind.  I told them I was a writer when I crossed the border and I had to pay tons of money for all that outsize baggage I carried but it was worth it.
Congratulations on such a noteworthy accomplishment. :-\ I've traveled all over the world with many, many books in instances where I did not have the time or opportunity to keep them with friends, family or in storage. Thank God I never toted Rand around with me with the intention of reading it later...I would have regretted having that dreck  weighing down my luggage.
!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
let's agree to disagree then.  I agree it's a bit depressing...

How about James Joyce's Ulyssesssss then?  I didn't get through that.  I did read Portrait of that Artist but then said that's enough of that.

I didn't get past page 1 of Harry Potter, I hate goblins etc.  I read the Hobbit when I was 12 and left that Trilogy Lord of the Rings shite safe on the shelf.  I've never watched any of those movies nor will I.

kisses darlin'
xLinda

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
~

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »
let's agree to disagree then.  I agree it's a bit depressing...

How about James Joyce's Ulyssesssss then?  I didn't get through that.  I did read Portrait of that Artist but then said that's enough of that.

I didn't get past page 1 of Harry Potter, I hate goblins etc.  I read the Hobbit when I was 12 and left that Trilogy Lord of the Rings shite safe on the shelf.  I've never watched any of those movies nor will I.

kisses darlin'
xLinda
ok  :)
I have not read either of those books. "Ulysses"? Perhaps one day I'll get to that one.

I tried to read one of the Harry Potter books back in 2000. Couldn't get beyond the first few pages...just wasn't able to to get my head into that world. I was reading a lot of dense material related to economics and global affairs at that time, and I think my mind was not able to adjust to a childlike world of fantasy. In actuality, I was never much into books of that nature as a kid either.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »

Book Description
Publication Date: March 13, 2007
The Purpose Driven Life will help you understand why you are alive and reveal God's amazing plan for you--both here and now, and for eternity. Rick Warren will guide you through a personal forty-day spiritual journey that will transform your answer to life's most important question: What on earth am I here for? Knowing God's purpose for creating you will reduce your stress, focus your energy, simplify your decisions, give meaning to your life, and most important, prepare you for eternity.

"Movie stars and political leaders aren't the only ones turning to Rick Warren for spiritual guidance. Millions of people--from NBA and LPGA players to corporate executives to high school students to prison inmates--meet regularly to discuss The Purpose Driven Life."--Time
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »
ok  :)
I have not read either of those books. "Ulysses"? Perhaps one day I'll get to that one.

I tried to read one of the Harry Potter books back in 2000. Couldn't get beyond the first few pages...just wasn't able to to get my head into that world. I was reading a lot of dense material related to economics and global affairs at that time, and I think my mind was not able to adjust to a childlike world of fantasy. In actuality, I was never much into books of that nature as a kid either.

LOL   

GHGut

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
If I may be self-serving, may I recommend one of my own books:

http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Tony-Monchinski/dp/1451646844/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322849333&sr=8-2

If you like action-horror/zombies/apocalyptic fiction this is right up your alley.

When I first posted about this as a self-published novel a few years ago I got flamed. Now it's got the Simon & Schuster imprint so hopefully will get into more people's hands.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
If I may be self-serving, may I recommend one of my own books:

http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Tony-Monchinski/dp/1451646844/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322849333&sr=8-2

If you like action-horror/zombies/apocalyptic fiction this is right up your alley.

When I first posted about this as a self-published novel a few years ago I got flamed. Now it's got the Simon & Schuster imprint so hopefully will get into more people's hands.
great book. It's got a sequel ya know?? Just read te second one.

I'm reading the Guillermo del toro and chuck hogan series "the fall". On the last (3rd) book. Also reading the game of thrones/songs of fire and ice series by George r r Martin.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Is Kindle recommended?  They're now less than £100.  Are they any good?  Can you see them in daylight?  Can you make the type slightly larger so that you don't need your specs?  Do the batteries run out when you just get to the bit where you'd ordinarily be unable to put it down?

My Mum wants one for Christmas, she thinks she wants to get techy.

Maybe I'll just buy her a book...
xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
You're understanding that bit of my problem.  But it'll be fine.  She taught me how to wipe my arse properly, so I'll try to teach her techy, okay?

Are those new-fangled machines better than books or what?  I need to know.  

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2011, 11:52:28 AM »
oh darlin', I've done the reviews.  I still re-read mine...

But I'm here on a forum which has managed to do a "what are you reading" thread with thousands of viewers?  These are people who read.  

I'd like a proper opinion, one from a proper person, someone with a sense of humour and a sense of reality?

I own many hundreds of hardcover books, mostly reference, so I shalln't be giving up books any day soon.  I just wondered whether Kindles are a good idea.  When they first came out I snorted, but they've become more popular and seem to be catching on and are perhaps a worthwhile expenditure?

xL

ps:  I didn't triple post, 28 deleted his provocative responses to my posts (I rarely do that blue box quotey thing...

pps:  BennyB?  Why would you quote me when I said "You wouldn't understand me", then delete the me and quote me as saying "You wouldn't understand"?  

I read everything.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
I so enjoyed this one, there's an entire chapter (with pix!) all about

"If you're lost do not panic"...

xL

"By being familiar with the different cloud formations and what weather they portend, you can take appropriate action for your protection"

or how about this bit:  "How to judge sunset by using your fingers"

Hold your hand out at arm's length, parallel to the horizon. Your fingers should be pointing left or right, not up or down, with your palm facing you. For the purposes of this technique, measure based on the four fingers minus the thumb.

Hold your hand so the bottom of it is perfectly in line with the horizon. Flip your hand up, then repeat, counting how many hand widths are between the horizon and the sun.

Multiply the number of hand lengths by one hour. If the bottom of your hand is in line with the horizon and the top is against the sun, sunset should be in about an hour.

Count with individual fingers for added accuracy. Each finger, held at arm's length, is equal to about fifteen minutes

There's a new book out called 'Survival in the Bush' I've not yet perused...

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »

This dude is fucked in the head. Crazy read.

Book Description
American Desperado is Roberts’ no-holds-barred account of being born into Mafia royalty, witnessing his first murder at the age of seven, becoming a hunter-assassin in Vietnam, returning to New York to become -- at age 22 -- one of the city’s leading nightclub impresarios, then journeying to Miami where in a few short years he would rise to become the Medellin Cartel’s most effective smuggler.
But that’s just half the tale...

!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
About half way through the list

Art of manliness 50 must read adventure books
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/02/the-essential-man%e2%80%99s-library-adventure-edition-part-one-fiction/

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
Art of Manliness?

I immediately had to have quickie look at that, I googled it, never do blue links - & thanks so much for making me giggle...

Think that one is a browser, not something you'd read cover to cover?

very funny, thanks
xLinda