Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551768 times)

booty

• Getbig V
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #800 on: August 21, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
It is hot there summer no doubt, I was there during the rainy season so not bad. Let me see if I can get Basile come down and put oil on your back.  :D
You never made it further than Sydney Mr Nobody.  Up here where I am it is way hotter and very high humidity.  Basile would have to come up my way and in that case I am heading south to get far away.   :D  I might be going to Sydney in Oct for a couple of days. 

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #801 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
Oh yeah, you're just now coming into Spring aren't you.  Weird how that works...
Yes I will be sad to see summer come.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #802 on: August 21, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
You never made it further than Sydney Mr Nobody.  Up here where I am it is way hotter and very high humidity.  Basile would have to come up my way and in that case I am heading south to get far away.   :D  I might be going to Sydney in Oct for a couple of days.  
Just been to Manly, Bondi And Sydney is all. I heard Queenslander's were trouble but you seem ok. Basile is probably in western NC chasing Goodrum around so no worries.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #803 on: August 21, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
Yes I will be sad to see summer come.

That's a good problem to have though.  Here the summer is fantastic but we've got the most disgusting, shitty winter you can imagine. 

I'd take hot as fuck over cold and snowy any day.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #804 on: August 21, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Just been to Manly, Bondi And Sydney is all. I heard Queenslander's were trouble but you seem ok. Basile is probably in western NC chasing Goodrum around so no worries.
The further north you go, the more trouble we become.   :D

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #805 on: August 21, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »
That's a good problem to have though.  Here the summer is fantastic but we've got the most disgusting, shitty winter you can imagine. 

I'd take hot as fuck over cold and snowy any day.

The problem is that the summers here are extremely long.  You can't really get outside and do things even everyday stuff due to the heat.  And you are in air conditioning all the time.  It's not much fun.  And thats when the box jellyfish frequent our oceans too.  So you can't swim, unless its in a swimming pool.  Winter time is another story.  Its bliss and my favourite time of the year and probably the only season I like for that reason. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #806 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
The further north you go, the more trouble we become.   :D
Do they drive old pickup trucks up there?

I had sex with a girl in Sydney she came on to me at work not a good experience she wanted to travel back with me to USA I said no a ALW = Average Looking Woman.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #807 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
Do they drive old pickup trucks up there?

I had sex with a girl in Sydney she came on to me at work not a good experience she wanted to travel back with me to USA I said no a ALW = Average Looking Woman.
I don't see any pick up trucks here.  It's a mining town so there are many nice cars around. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #808 on: August 21, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
I don't see any pick up trucks here.  It's a mining town so there are many nice cars around. 
What kind of car you got?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #809 on: August 21, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
What kind of car you got?
An old car.  I don't have a nice car.  I don't care either way, just wish I had air conditioning for summer.  But then it would cost me more in petrol so I guess there is a positive from a negative.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #810 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
An old car.  I don't have a nice car.  I don't care either way, just wish I had air conditioning for summer.  But then it would cost me more in petrol so I guess there is a positive from a negative.
If I don't have ac I'm dead. Being I sweat badly face only no underarm's nothing but face.

RoyHeilig

• Getbig I
« Reply #811 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
The purpose driven by Rick warren.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #812 on: August 25, 2013, 05:44:40 AM »
Bogged down in the middle of Mary Gaitskill's 'Bad Behavior.' Supposed to be great, a classic, but all I'm getting is removed, 80's rubber-duckery.    :-\

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #813 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »
This a book thread,lets keep it that way.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #814 on: August 26, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
The Monkey Wrench Gang, by Edward Abbey.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #815 on: August 30, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »
Finished Where Serpents Lie by T. Jefferson Parker, and it was pretty good. I'm on a serial killer/mystery kick right now. Just started Black Echo, the first of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #816 on: September 07, 2013, 03:41:22 AM »
67 pages into Neal Stephenson's 'Reamde.' Totally has not caught fire, unlike his other books. Only another 900+ pages to go. Cripes. To the positive, I am almost all the way through Jenni Fagan's debut book, 'The Panopticon.' I can't recommend this book more  - a super smart, irvine welsh-ey, young, criminal-type book. Got a few bucks to spare? This is your book.  :)  

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #817 on: September 10, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
67 pages into Neal Stephenson's 'Reamde.' Totally has not caught fire, unlike his other books. Only another 900+ pages to go. Cripes. To the positive, I am almost all the way through Jenni Fagan's debut book, 'The Panopticon.' I can't recommend this book more  - a super smart, irvine welsh-ey, young, criminal-type book. Got a few bucks to spare? This is your book.  :)  

Doc, you've read Elmore Leonard, right? Which of his books would you recommend? I've only read Swag, Road Dogs, and some of his short stories. Thanks.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #818 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:22 AM »
A bunch of short stories by Louis Lamour.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #819 on: September 11, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
Doc, you've read Elmore Leonard, right? Which of his books would you recommend? I've only read Swag, Road Dogs, and some of his short stories. Thanks.
Well, you really can't go wrong with EL, although he did write some weaker books. LaBrava is great place to start - vintage EL and it won the Edgar for best novel. Then I'd probably go with stuff like Stick, City Primeval, Killshot. Popular stuff would be Get Shorty, Maximum Bob, Rum Punch. If you like the tv show Justified, you can find Raylan Givens in Pronto and Riding the Rap. Cheers.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #820 on: September 11, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
Well, you really can't go wrong with EL, although he did write some weaker books. LaBrava is great place to start - vintage EL and it won the Edgar for best novel. Then I'd probably go with stuff like Stick, City Primeval, Killshot. Popular stuff would be Get Shorty, Maximum Bob, Rum Punch. If you like the tv show Justified, you can find Raylan Givens in Pronto and Riding the Rap. Cheers.

Thank you, sir.

Mazda323

• Getbig III
  • Guardian Angel
« Reply #821 on: September 11, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
I read pretty quick actually or i am reading two different books at the same time.

Now i am reading the "The Imaginary Institution of Society" by Cornelius Castoriadis.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #822 on: September 16, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »
Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins.

Just finished Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlen.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #823 on: September 19, 2013, 05:20:02 AM »
Went to a local book sale. Paid $20 to be feted as an early buyer. Found an unread 'Infinite Jest' for a dollar; Proulx's 'Close Range' for two; Gaiman's 'American Gods' for two; and a whole bunch of  good crime/heist books (Higgins'/ Perry, etc.) for similar prices. Got the Da and Ma 4 books each, too. All for $32 (+20). Heaven. All I needed was a beer tent. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #824 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:01 AM »
Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins.

Just finished Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlen.
People dismiss this book as Heinlein juvenalia. I get that, but it really echoes with Vietnam, and the times, etc. No wonder that Joe Haldeman wrote/responded with 'The Forever War.'