Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551583 times)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1225 on: January 27, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

Amazon.com started off delivering books through the mail. But its visionary founder, Jeff Bezos, wasn’t content with being a bookseller. He wanted Amazon to become the everything store—a store that offered limitless selection and seductive convenience at disruptively low prices. To do so, he developed a corporate culture of relentless ambition that transformed retail in the same way Henry Ford revolutionized manufacturing.

Brad Stone enjoyed unprecedented access to current and former Amazon employees and Bezos family members, giving readers the first in-depth fly-on-the-wall account of one of the world’s most secretive companies. Compared to technology’s other elite innovators—Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg—Bezos stands out for his restless pursuit of new markets, which has led Amazon into risky new ventures like the Kindle, Kindle Fire and its cloud computing business.

THE EVERYTHING STORE will be the revealing, definitive biography of the company and its remarkable founder.

http://brad-stone.com/book/

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1226 on: January 30, 2016, 07:32:03 AM »
One of Us by Asne Seierstad. Seierstad, a journalist, forensically examines the events of July 2011, when Anders Breivik massacred 77 people, mostly children, in and around Oslo. Both murderer and victims' lives, as well as Norwegian society as whole, are probed to find some kind of rationalization for how and why such an enormity occurred. Unnerving: strong stuff, indeed. Recommended.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1227 on: February 01, 2016, 04:58:45 AM »
13 hours...book was pretty much just like the movies but of course the movie had to change a couple of parts to make it more exciting.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1228 on: February 01, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
13 hours...book was pretty much just like the movies but of course the movie had to change a couple of parts to make it more exciting.

Start a couple threads telling us to read the book.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1229 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
Start a couple threads telling us to read the book.

I reviewed both in the post above, no reason.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1230 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »
Re-read Man Plus by Frederik Pohl. I never re-read stuff, but I found an amazing condition 1st at a library sale and...not great. The Nebula winning book about a mission-to-Mars astronaut Roger Torraway being transformed from a man to a cyborg kinda fails to achieve lift-off. I remember reading this, what, 20 years ago and really liking it. Idea is good; but the writing is flat, and Cold War-dated, and evoked no real interest from me. Not sure if book fails, or I have gotten older and more dyspeptic.  ::)

* As I read this, I was reminded about a sc-fi book whose protagonist has to continually psychologically die, and die again, to achieve some military goal. Anyone?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1231 on: February 02, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
Just bought a HC signed copy of David Gemmell's Legend. Thank you credit cards.  :)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #1232 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »

* As I read this, I was reminded about a sc-fi book whose protagonist has to continually psychologically die, and die again, to achieve some military goal. Anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Need_Is_Kill ?

Also turned into the film "Edge of Tomorrow".

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1233 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Need_Is_Kill ?

Also turned into the film "Edge of Tomorrow".
Thought of that, but I read it 20 years ago. I think. The soldier has to get through some kind of obstacle course that he has to solve psychically before real troops can be deployed. I think.  ???

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1234 on: February 06, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter. A meditation on grief and loss. A man has lost his wife and two boys their mother. This slight book (novella?) is then divided into three speaking parts: Dad, Boys, and Crow, who represents the psyche/reification of this loss/grief. I read this book in two sittings, but I think it will stay with me longer. Very strong.    

"Max Porter, an editor and former bookseller, has won the £30,000 International Dylan Thomas prize for his “extraordinary feat of imaginative prose”, Grief Is the Thing With Feathers."

Wow. Good book, but wowsers.  :)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1235 on: February 11, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »
Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell.
Good book, very engaging right from the start.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1236 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
Harper Lee has passed.      'Hey, Boo.'

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1237 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
Ward Larsen-The Perfect Assassin, and the Assassin's Game.
Didn't think I like it and ended up reading both in less then a week 8)
The books are about a Mossad assassin and his exploits.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1238 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
Stan R. Mitchell-Sold Out.
Meh, seemed to much like Stephen Hunters, Point of Impact book about Bob Lee Swagger.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #1239 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:21 AM »
Reading The Big Short......man I feel stupid.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1240 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
Fives and Twenty-Fives by Michael Pitre. Book follows the members of a road repair platoon in Iraq, as well as homeside: Lieutenant Donovan, Cpl Zahn, Corpsman Pleasant and Interpreter Kateb/Dodge. Really good stuff. Maybe not as lyrical as Keven Powers' The Yellow Birds, or as gritty as Phil Kay's Redeployment, but the characters are all fully realized and their stories, for better and worse, coalesce at the end. Solid debut.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1241 on: March 04, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
Various threads on Getbig. I should "get a life!"

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #1242 on: March 09, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Going to run through some of Joe Lansdale's "Hap and Leonard" series. Never paid attention to it before because I associated him with sci-fi and splatterpunk, which I'm very picky about. I'd give the first book 7/10, felt a tiny bit dated, and a bit hokey, but just a bit. Second book is starting off better. They're nice, fast reads too.

(Side note, I feel a bit similar about the tv series too. Enjoyable watch, writing is a tiny bit clicheish in a bad sitcom way, but the second episode was better. Casting is great, I also like that they are fleshing out the bad guy better in the tv series too. I would've liked to have seen more of him in the book.)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1243 on: March 18, 2016, 05:34:06 AM »
Catching up on the Brad Taylor-Pike Logan series...not bad, not great but not bad.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1244 on: March 18, 2016, 05:53:44 AM »
Catching up on the Brad Taylor-Pike Logan series...not bad, not great but not bad.
Not heard of. Best of? First?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1245 on: March 18, 2016, 06:06:08 AM »
Not heard of. Best of? First?

First is called One Rough Man....first published 5 years ago...haha I must have really enjoyed it because I've read the rest of the series.
What I like in the first few books is the emotion of the main characters and their flaws.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1246 on: March 18, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »

First is called One Rough Man....first published 5 years ago...haha I must have really enjoyed it because I've read the rest of the series.
What I like in the first few books is the emotion of the main characters and their flaws.
Thank you, Sir. Will look for at lunch. Hearing things about 6 4 by Hideo Yokoyama. Pings your way?

/pings. funny stuff.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1247 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:16 AM »
Bought a 1st/1st copy of Don DeLillo's 'White Noise.' Read years ago. There was a chapter on dying that was so awful I put the book down. Anyway, hope to get my copies signed. Guy never signs. 

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1248 on: March 18, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Paul Beattys, the author of White Boy Shuffle. who just won a shit-ton of awards   for his new book. Saw this coming a long time  go. Guy's a serious contender. But Getbig being racist... Best book by far, in 2015, , 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1249 on: March 18, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
Thank you, Sir. Will look for at lunch. Hearing things about 6 4 by Hideo Yokoyama. Pings your way?

/pings. funny stuff.

Never heard but just looked it up.....seems interesting.