Author Topic: do people who dont train legs need 1 gprotein per lbs bodyweiight too/  (Read 6086 times)

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
Re: do people who dont train legs need 1 gprotein per lbs bodyweiight too/
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:42 AM »
if one is fater than visible abs, i wouldnt worry the least bit about diet and just eat whatever and how much ever i want.

hold on, sprint intervals?you serious? ;D

I have never been over 9%, always a skinny kid. Near where i live it's countryside so lots of hills and varied landscape, so you get a bit of a leg workout running sprints. Obviously not comparable to weights lol

I did do squats for a while and noticed my all round strength was up, but my diet is so shit atm training too much would probably kill me.
Trans Milkshake.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »

I have never been over 9%, always a skinny kid. Near where i live it's countryside so lots of hills and varied landscape, so you get a bit of a leg workout running sprints. Obviously not comparable to weights lol

I did do squats for a while and noticed my all round strength was up, but my diet is so shit atm training too much would probably kill me.

what's you sprint protocol brother?

how far do you sprint? how many repeats do you do? how long do you rest btw repeats?

a good way to increase your sprint speed is to run down hill, as it forces you to run faster than you really can

i used to do that shit til i wreaked my goddamn knee playing basketball, now the only "sports" that i can do are bodysculpting and running

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
what's you sprint protocol brother?

how far do you sprint? how many repeats do you do? how long do you rest btw repeats?

a good way to increase your sprint speed is to run down hill, as it forces you to run faster than you really can

i used to do that shit til i wreaked my goddamn knee playing basketball, now the only "sports" that i can do are bodysculpting and running

It's normally one of, do a 100 metres max, walk back, rinse repeat for about a mile, obviously your speed diminishes a lot as you repeat. Or 200 yard sprint, jog back, repeat, similar, or i'll run a max mile, rest, repeat. Or an easy 5 k. I change it about a lot Dj.

I'm not particularly good at endurance stuff, asthma, and i have to put a lot of work in to it compared to strength gains but it's getting easier and the runners high is nice.
Trans Milkshake.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »

It's normally one of, do a 100 metres max, walk back, rinse repeat for about a mile, obviously your speed diminishes a lot as you repeat. Or 200 yard sprint, jog back, repeat, similar, or i'll run a max mile, rest, repeat. Or an easy 5 k. I change it about a lot Dj.

I'm not particularly good at endurance stuff, asthma, and i have to put a lot of work in to it compared to strength gains but it's getting easier and the runners high is nice.

so what's your mile PR ;D

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
so what's your mile PR ;D

About 6,30 lol, not good.
Trans Milkshake.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 08:53:04 AM »

About 6,30 lol, not good.

that's not too bad actually, i had you pegged for 7:30 or even 8 minutes lol

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
that's not too bad actually, i had you pegged for 7:30 or even 8 minutes lol

Yeah, it's not very good but i have improved quite a lot i used to collapse after about 200 yards.
Trans Milkshake.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
Yeah, it's not very good but i have improved quite a lot i used to collapse after about 200 yards.

anyone who can sub a sub-6 mile and it's a twig is pretty damn fit, and it's a rather impressive feat IMO

and remember man, we are bodysculptors, not bodybuilders ;D

slim and narrow waistline with broad shoulders and a round bubble ass FTW 8)

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
anyone who can sub a sub-6 mile and it's a twig is pretty damn fit, and it's a rather impressive feat IMO

and remember man, we are bodysculptors, not bodybuilders ;D

slim and narrow waistline with broad shoulders and a round bubble ass FTW 8)

Of course brother, bodysculpting ftw. I feel a little bit better about my running now, i'll try a mile max tonight and get back to you. :)

I never thought about weight, i wonder what the weight limit on running a sub 4 minute mile is.
Trans Milkshake.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »

Of course brother, bodysculpting ftw. I feel a little bit better about my running now, i'll try a mile max tonight and get back to you. :)

I never thought about weight, i wonder what the weight limit on running a sub 4 minute mile is.

well man, only sprinters have any kind of muscle on them, and even 800 meter and miler's as thin as rails

when i was in my competitive running days i weighed anywhere btw 128-135 @ 5'11"

i'd say most elite miler's BMI's are 20 or less

i'm curious what decathletes run the mile or 1500 meters in, as that's their last event, in fact i'll look it up and get back to ya

damn! i'm impressed :o they run the 1500 meters in about 4:30 to 5:00 minutes

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
How much protein do you need if you got no legs... ???
Or no arm and no legs.... ???
Puzzles the mind.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
The only good reason for not training legs is amputation.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
Falcon says that standing and walking around all day is sufficient training for one's wheels

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
well man, only sprinters have any kind of muscle on them, and even 800 meter and miler's as thin as rails

when i was in my competitive running days i weighed anywhere btw 128-135 @ 5'11"

i'd say most elite miler's BMI's are 20 or less

i'm curious what decathletes run the mile or 1500 meters in, as that's their last event, in fact i'll look it up and get back to ya

damn! i'm impressed :o they run the 1500 meters in about 4:30 to 5:00 minutes

Didn't know that you were a runner. You've become pretty big since then.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
Probably no difference, really.

How much protein, from your diet, do you think actually goes to building skeletal muscle? And if you do train hard, really, how many grams of protein per training session are you really going to lay down as new muscle tissue? 10-20 grams, if you're extremely lucky.

Most of the protein we over-eat goes towards helping the body accelerate protein turnover (the more you eat, the faster the body turns over its tissues...it's generally wasteful but you send the metabolic signal by overeating protein). You could get by eating far less than 1g/lb of bodyweight, which is excessive.

Not that there's anything wrong with eating too much protein either. It is expensive, mind you.

Furthermore, a skeletal muscle turns itself over about once ever 30 days or so. So let's say you've got 10lbs of muscle in your legs. You can't look at it the way I'm going to explain here, because the human body isn't a bomb calorimeter, but bear with me...

You'd need 4540 grams of protein per month to turn over your legs. You'd need an additional 10 grams per week to support your leg training. So, that's 4540 + 40. That's less than 1% of your protein that you need going to new growth, and the other 99.2% going to tissue maintenance.

So really, eating extra protein for extra growth is a rounding error. Completely over-thinking the details.

Bear in mind, also, that strength training is a powerful anti-catabolic (almost drug-like in its effects on the metabolism). So doing any strength training in the gym will have a whole-body anti-catabolic effect, likely preserving the muscle tissue you do have in your legs. For example, it's near impossible to work your back without training legs. It's near impossible to train your chest without training legs (they brace you during the press).

Were you trolling with the question, Gal, or were you questioning seriously?

BTW, most of my above comments go guys who've been training for a year or two and are nearing their genetic limits.

And of course, drugs change the equation. 

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Didn't know that you were a runner. You've become pretty big since then.

i'm a twink man just ask the hardass tough guys here on this board ;)

but in reality 25 pounds of pure lean muscle tissue made quite a difference in my physique, going from 129 at sub-6 to 154 at sub-6

the funny thing is, i haven't a clue what i weigh now since i don't weigh myself nowadays, but i'd say that i'm about 160 or so, and i getting leaner by the day, so i'll most likely post update ab shots before the new year as i'm confident that i'll be sitting at sub-6 by then

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
i'm a twink man just ask the hardass tough guys here on this board ;)

but in reality 25 pounds of pure lean muscle tissue made quite a difference in my physique, going from 129 at sub-6 to 154 at sub-6

the funny thing is, i haven't a clue what i weigh now since i don't weigh myself nowadays, but i'd say that i'm about 160 or so, and i getting leaner by the day, so i'll most likely post update ab shots before the new year as i'm confident that i'll be sitting at sub-6 by then

you just can't help yourself can you

PS have you checked with Moen and made sure it's ok to be that lean ?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
Protein per lbs of muscle/lean muscle is broscience. There is zero evidence supporting any of these amounts people suggest. Only evidence we have is either flawed or produced by supplement companies (not even worth looking into).

Science claims that protein consumption should be proportionate to total caloric intake.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 04:31:10 PM »
i'm gorging on 350-400g of protein daily lately... good old chicken, and beef and lamb and pork....

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
how many decades can one obsess about proper protien intake before you turn grey and are 6 feet in the grave?
A

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
My rear looks like shit if I don't train legs  :-*

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 09:38:03 PM »
Far too many people get it wrong.  It's not the grams of protein per bodyweight, it's the grams of protein per LEAN bodyweight.   Keywords:  LEAN BODYWEIGHT   Obese people do not require a linear amount of protein as they get fatter and fatter.  It doesn't work that way. 

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
Far too many people get it wrong.  It's not the grams of protein per bodyweight, it's the grams of protein per LEAN bodyweight.   Keywords:  LEAN BODYWEIGHT   Obese people do not require a linear amount of protein as they get fatter and fatter.  It doesn't work that way. 
This is correct. Plus Joe Weider cleverly translated kilo's into lbs....so 1 gram per kilo of lean bodyweight became 1 gram per lb total bodyweight.
You do the counting: lot's of chicken and cows could have been saved.... :'(

A hard training 180 lbs bodybuilder has to monitor his calories. Proteins won't be a problem. With enough calories 100 grams of protein daily is more than enough...with the accent on more than...

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
no i was deAd serious with my question,brother.

ok, lets replace protein with calories, for the arguments sake.

very interesting post btw, thx for a usefull, informative contribution 8)

Legs workout, regardless of goal is by far most intense workout. I won't give you exact numbers as I don't remember and it is irrelevant due to the fact that everyone is so different but this is the only workout besides back that have any significant influence on number of calories I have to eat in order to maintain my weight.

ps. I've sent you a PM :P

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
Probably no difference, really.

How much protein, from your diet, do you think actually goes to building skeletal muscle? And if you do train hard, really, how many grams of protein per training session are you really going to lay down as new muscle tissue? 10-20 grams, if you're extremely lucky.

Most of the protein we over-eat goes towards helping the body accelerate protein turnover (the more you eat, the faster the body turns over its tissues...it's generally wasteful but you send the metabolic signal by overeating protein). You could get by eating far less than 1g/lb of bodyweight, which is excessive.

Not that there's anything wrong with eating too much protein either. It is expensive, mind you.

Furthermore, a skeletal muscle turns itself over about once ever 30 days or so. So let's say you've got 10lbs of muscle in your legs. You can't look at it the way I'm going to explain here, because the human body isn't a bomb calorimeter, but bear with me...

You'd need 4540 grams of protein per month to turn over your legs. You'd need an additional 10 grams per week to support your leg training. So, that's 4540 + 40. That's less than 1% of your protein that you need going to new growth, and the other 99.2% going to tissue maintenance.

So really, eating extra protein for extra growth is a rounding error. Completely over-thinking the details.

Bear in mind, also, that strength training is a powerful anti-catabolic (almost drug-like in its effects on the metabolism). So doing any strength training in the gym will have a whole-body anti-catabolic effect, likely preserving the muscle tissue you do have in your legs. For example, it's near impossible to work your back without training legs. It's near impossible to train your chest without training legs (they brace you during the press).

Were you trolling with the question, Gal, or were you questioning seriously?

BTW, most of my above comments go guys who've been training for a year or two and are nearing their genetic limits.

And of course, drugs change the equation. 

Very interesting post snx, many things to be considered here.