Author Topic: Before "personal trainers"  (Read 1946 times)

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
Before "personal trainers"
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »

(

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Re: Before "personal trainers"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
Before personal trainers you just asked someone more experienced in the gym what to do or learned by observation or worked in with someone and picked things up or read the mags.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
There were many great bodybuilding/lifting books and courses through the years back when people still read books.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:12:46 AM »
On a sidenote,Anibal Lopez looked fucking great!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
On a sidenote,Anibal Lopez looked fucking great!
Yes, he was a model for a lot of courses and books in the 70's-80's.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
Before personal trainers you just asked someone more experienced in the gym what to do or learned by observation or worked in with someone and picked things up or read the mags.

So true I started lifting in middle school I had the old weider gold plastic weights filled with concrete, I think that's what was in them
when I went to my 1st gym I just picked up on what others were doing learned from there.
p

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »
bullshit

charles glass been around for at least a 100 years

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
When I was 12 bodybuilding gyms were really rare. I never saw anyone lift weights. I only had a bunch of Weider magazines. I didn't know what they meant by 5 x 10.  I looked at the pictures of the champs exercising and didn't know they were moving the weight. I thought they stayed in a isometric hold and maybe 5 x 10 meant five times of 10 seconds.  I would stand there blue in the face holding a barbell in the curl position. My older brother saw me and said, "What the hell are you doing?"  Now after almost 50 years later I know what I'm doing. LOL.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:09:37 PM »
When I was 12 bodybuilding gyms were really rare. I never saw anyone lift weights. I only had a bunch of Weider magazines. I didn't know what they meant by 5 x 10.  I looked at the pictures of the champs exercising and didn't know they were moving the weight. I thought they stayed in a isometric hold and maybe 5 x 10 meant five times of 10 seconds.  I would stand there blue in the face holding a barbell in the curl position. My older brother saw me and said, "What the hell are you doing?"  Now after almost 50 years later I know what I'm doing. LOL.

sounds like strong man training  ;)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
Those isometric holds probably built a hell of a lotta strength though.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:29:41 AM »
When I was 12 bodybuilding gyms were really rare. I never saw anyone lift weights. I only had a bunch of Weider magazines. I didn't know what they meant by 5 x 10.  I looked at the pictures of the champs exercising and didn't know they were moving the weight. I thought they stayed in a isometric hold and maybe 5 x 10 meant five times of 10 seconds.  I would stand there blue in the face holding a barbell in the curl position. My older brother saw me and said, "What the hell are you doing?"  Now after almost 50 years later I know what I'm doing. LOL.

I was only an infant in the crib when I developed this ear infection. We didn't know it at the time until I was about three years old, we found out that I was hard of hearing. That's why I never took an interest in things other kids would take an interest in, like television. I was late learning to speak and everything. I would become a lip reader. I was a real skinny kid. I couldn't make the football team because I was too skinny. Then I started to buy Muscle Magazine. I remember I would go to a bookstore, and I would buy up all the old muscle books. And I would read for hours. I remember that in the morning, I would find have my light on, and I would be reading the muscle books.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 04:17:30 AM »
I was only an infant in the crib when I developed this ear infection. We didn't know it at the time until I was about three years old, we found out that I was hard of hearing. That's why I never took an interest in things other kids would take an interest in, like television. I was late learning to speak and everything. I would become a lip reader. I was a real skinny kid. I couldn't make the football team because I was too skinny. Then I started to buy Muscle Magazine. I remember I would go to a bookstore, and I would buy up all the old muscle books. And I would read for hours. I remember that in the morning, I would find have my light on, and I would be reading the muscle books.

Take it easy, Louie, everything will be all right.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:50:40 AM »
Take it easy, Louie, everything will be all right.

I’ve got nothing to say. I just wanna eat my cake

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 05:30:52 AM »
Make it harder Dad.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 05:46:47 AM »
 :D  the insanity started when i was 8.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 05:50:48 AM »
and continues to this day. ;)
F

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 06:24:01 AM »
Make it harder Dad.

More oil! More!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 06:51:04 AM »
:D  the insanity started when i was 8.

If people today did just those exercises they'd be miles ahead.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:41 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »
If people today did just those exercises they'd be miles ahead.
true
F

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »
;D
I GODDA BEAT AMOLD   his voice
p

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 03:23:38 PM »

Some of Pavel (Russian) kettlebell training is like that , old martial art training too !.