Author Topic: TENS Units  (Read 7430 times)

Nozcarney

• Getbig I
TENS Units
« on: August 05, 2019, 02:30:02 AM »
I am a complete bodybuilder and weightlifter and did it the old way, hard work and heavy weights. My problem now is that I'm about 45 years old and my right shoulder is so arthritic that I qualify for joint replacement surgery, but I'm young enough that no one wants to do the procedure.
I'm still training, but my right shoulder is noticeably less than the left because I don't have the same range of motion and the pain is free, so I'm wondering if after my shoulder training if I used a TENS units on my right, would I could theoretically re-upload it to match my left side so it would look at least balanced?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: TENS Units
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
No

TENs  is usually applied for pain relief, blocking nerve paths/signals through the CNS to the brain. Not the purpose to increase any specif muscle volume. Though there has been lab research (under strict lab conditions) that might suggest a pattern of stimulation might increase a muscle  size, but with meager results.

TENs , like anything else, does not always work for everyone or give the same degree of results for everyone. Still some doctors question it's long range value or value at all. Lot's of Pro's and Con's about it.

I assume that your medical insurance (if in the U.S.) will not cover any reconstruction surgery  on the shoulder structure at this time, so that would be the reason for no surgery. Given all the considerations, with you surgery may be your only reasonable option.

Also assume your working around the shoulder girdle area, without any direct focus on the delts. Working that shoulder ares direct will only create more problems overall, though even working around an area may cause problems over time. As far as ROM goes, partial or middle range reps seem to work just as well, in some cases better, than full ROM reps. But that choice will be up to you and the amount of pain any training reps may produce.  Keep the shoulder area warm during training, a heating patch/pad may help during a workout placed on that area.

Some of my ex jock friends and lifters, around my age (mid 40'-50's, 60'ish), have been using CBD creme/oils of late. Seemly with excellent results. Only offering this as a suggestion, have never used it myself. But will tend to try it soon to see what happens.

Good Luck.  

F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
If you're shoulder was killing you why did you keep making it worse?

I'm curious as to what was your thought process.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
At times the urge to continue being bigger or stronger can overcome good judgement when training. . It happens to most of us, one way or another.

No one has to explain the reason, it's just what some lifters still do. Perhaps not the wisest of choice, but that's just the way it is. Don't know if Cortisone injections have been considered by Nozcarney, but one of the short range treatments some guys have used. Though not a repair or cure by any means.

Good Luck
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »
No

TENs  is usually applied for pain relief, blocking nerve paths/signals through the CNS to the brain. Not the purpose to increase any specif muscle volume. Though there has been lab research (under strict lab conditions) that might suggest a pattern of stimulation might increase a muscle  size, but with meager results.

TENs , like anything else, does not always work for everyone or give the same degree of results for everyone. Still some doctors question it's long range value or value at all. Lot's of Pro's and Con's about it.

I assume that your medical insurance (if in the U.S.) will not cover any reconstruction surgery  on the shoulder structure at this time, so that would be the reason for no surgery. Given all the considerations, with you surgery may be your only reasonable option.

Also assume your working around the shoulder girdle area, without any direct focus on the delts. Working that shoulder ares direct will only create more problems overall, though even working around an area may cause problems over time. As far as ROM goes, partial or middle range reps seem to work just as well, in some cases better, than full ROM reps. But that choice will be up to you and the amount of pain any training reps may produce.  Keep the shoulder area warm during training, a heating patch/pad may help during a workout placed on that area.

Some of my ex jock friends and lifters, around my age (mid 40'-50's, 60'ish), have been using CBD creme/oils of late. Seemly with excellent results. Only offering this as a suggestion, have never used it myself. But will tend to try it soon to see what happens.

Good Luck.  

This thread reminds me of the old electronic muscle stimulators advertised in muscle magazines back in the 80's. I believe the actual unit was pretty big - about the size of an old video game console. I can only imagine seeing guys in zebra-print baggies, walking around the gym wired up to an Atari system!

I'd bought a tens unit years ago, thinking it would help with muscle knots/trigger-points. But, as JPM pointed out, about all they're good for is blocking the pain sensation in that area. They really have no therapeutic effects beyond that.

And, as far as hypertrophy, if tens/EMS's produced any respectable increases in muscle growth, I suspect its current (no pun) use for such would be quite prominent.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »
I am a complete bodybuilder and weightlifter and did it the old way, hard work and heavy weights. My problem now is that I'm about 45 years old and my right shoulder is so arthritic that I qualify for joint replacement surgery, but I'm young enough that no one wants to do the procedure.
I'm still training, but my right shoulder is noticeably less than the left because I don't have the same range of motion and the pain is free, so I'm wondering if after my shoulder training if I used a TENS units on my right, would I could theoretically re-upload it to match my left side so it would look at least balanced?

Joe DeFranco prescribes many of his athletes with problematic shoulders a delt-circuit routine that is supposedly very effective, uses minimal weights, and omits direct overhead pressing, placing far less stress on the delicate shoulder joints.

If you’re interested, here is an article describing the routine and its accessory work: https://www.t-nation.com/training/shoulder-shocker

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »

Joe DeFranco prescribes many of his athletes with problematic shoulders a delt-circuit routine that is supposedly very effective, uses minimal weights, and omits direct overhead pressing, placing far less stress on the delicate shoulder joints.

If you’re interested, here is an article describing the routine and its accessory work: https://www.t-nation.com/training/shoulder-shocker

I worked with DeFranco's father. He was bull with the weights.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
I worked with DeFranco's father. He was bull with the weights.

Yes.
The younger DeFranco has mentioned this often. Nothing like great genes!!

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »
If you're shoulder was killing you why did you keep making it worse?

I'm curious as to what was your thought process.

There is no thought process that's the problem.  When I had a damaged shoulder from years of heavy benching I quit doing anything that aggravated my shoulder for 2-3 years until it completely healed.  Since then I only do 12-20 reps unless I'm doing slow reps or static holds during calisthenics.

Most people I know who have had shoulder or back surgeries are not happy with the results.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
I have made a lot of improvement to the shoulder by doing a lot of stretches. The shoulder moves in so many different directions. I use 8 different stretches and it has made quite a difference. The shoulder really gets tight in guys who lift weights. The bench really decreases flexibility in the joint then tears can occur. Having very inflexible shoulder pec joint leads to so much pain lifting. Doing exercises like upright rows and delt lateral raises with dumbbells pouring the pitcher is an internal rotation that limits the clearance tendons have to work leading to inflammation and pain. Pec dumbbell flies can contribute. A better healthier movement is to stand using a single arm pulley with a complete bent arm push forward crossing the mid line of your body with the handle. Dumbbell delt lateral should have the thumb pointing to the ceiling while the body is slightly bent forward. Same lateral delt involvement but now you have external rotation. The rear delt also gets really tight from lifting. The two typical rear delt exercise are the bent over dumbbell lateral raise or a rear delt machine. Both are a partial range of motion exercises that contributing to delt inflexibility. A better movement is to grab a shoulder height pulley handle with one hand while your hand is completely across your body as the picture below demonstrates.

As far as the ten units I believe it's for pain relief and nothing more.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
At times the urge to continue being bigger or stronger can overcome good judgement when training. . It happens to most of us, one way or another.

No one has to explain the reason, it's just what some lifters still do. Perhaps not the wisest of choice, but that's just the way it is. Don't know if Cortisone injections have been considered by Nozcarney, but one of the short range treatments some guys have used. Though not a repair or cure by any means.

Good Luck
Exactly, Ironnat stays home when he stubs his toe.
T

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 06:33:59 PM »
I have a tens. It works well when I remember to use it. I purchased it when I was having physical therapy following knee surgery and the couple times my back was out enough to require going to physical therapy to relieve the tension in the affected muscles. A combination of moist heat and a tens session is the best for both tension and pain.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »
Is it arthritis or an actual tear?  A tear can be fixed easier than arthritis.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
Is it arthritis or an actual tear?  A tear can be fixed easier than arthritis.

Not always the case. A tendon tear from a muscle like rotator cuff can be repaired if it's fresh. An example of this was my complete bicep rupture. My Orthopedic surgeon said since the tendon is completely torn off and it's fresh about 5 days out he can sew the tendon to a metal anchor and the tendon will reattach itself to the bone.  After 10 plus days that will not happen. He can sew it to an anchor but it will always be a temp and weak fix. He said the only alternative is a cadaver tendon.  Arthritis is abnormal bone growth and bone damage. Once it's there it's not going away.  Arthritis runs in my family. My sister was disabled around the time she reached 60.  She can barely walk. My father had to take shuffle steps. I am hurting from it but I believe my lifting has saved me from being disabled like my sister. Maybe I gave myself another 10 plus years from disability.