Author Topic: increasing my vertical  (Read 3998 times)

topdog

• Getbig II
  • I'm a big P.I.M.P
increasing my vertical
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:02:34 PM »
any specific excercises to help increase my verticle?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: increasing my vertical
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:59:15 PM »
Box jumps, jump squats, the superman drill, 40s, jumping rope, 1-leg leg press, jump lunges, regular lunges, chain/band squats, regular squats, bound jumps, and that's all i can think of for now...

I'll clarify any or all of the above.
:-)

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 03:19:53 PM »
Box jumps, jump squats, the superman drill, 40s, jumping rope, 1-leg leg press, jump lunges, regular lunges, chain/band squats, regular squats, bound jumps, and that's all i can think of for now...

Plyometrics?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 04:35:56 PM »

Snatches, Hang snatches, Snatches from boxes, Snatch pulls, Snatch pulls from boxes.

Cleans, Power cleans.

Do 1-3 reps of each excersise. Don't worry about weight initially. Get the form correct first. It could take you up to a 3-4 months to learn how to do Snatches with heavy weights properly, even if you have a trainer. The other excersises won't take that long, but these excersises require extreme explosiveness, and also develops extreme speed and vertical leap.

Many Olympic Lifters have extreme vertical leaps, and Shane Hamman, a guy who weighs 360+ lbs on a 5'6'' frame, dunks a basketball with two hands.

High jumpers also trains the olympic lifts, they have great vertical leaps.

If there is any Olympic Weightlifter in your gym, or at your school, I would suggest you to ask him to show you how to perform the lifts. If you play basketball, Olympic Lifting is good strength training. As an example, they usually leave out benchpressing, something that is definitely not needed for basketball players.

Training Olympic lifting once or twice a week during season, and perhaps three times a week (depending on the amount of basketball trained) is a good rule of thumb IMO.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »
Hedge hit it on the head.  Olympic lifts will increase vertical and sprinting speed.  If  Olympic lifts seem like to much to add to your training schedule consider just adding high pulls to your training.  Sprinting is jumping forward when you think about it.  Jumping drills are also valuable. 

I don't know what sport your involved in so the suggestions are limited.  If your heavily involved in training for say football it would be foolish during the season to be involved in to many lifting days or long lifting sessions.   Condense it to the big football three.  Power cleans, squats, and benching.  Anything else is just icing on the cake. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:16:44 PM »
If you have access to a pool jumping from underwater will increase your vertical leap.
The House that Ruth built

topdog

• Getbig II
  • I'm a big P.I.M.P
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:35:15 AM »
I see adds for those shoes that are suppose to help with that, is that true or would I be wasting $$$$.  I want to increase my verticle for basket ball, I have lost about 60 pounds and now am able to grab the rim, but I want to be able to dunk it with 2 hands.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:39:28 AM »
I see adds for those shoes that are suppose to help with that, is that true or would I be wasting $$$$.  I want to increase my verticle for basket ball, I have lost about 60 pounds and now am able to grab the rim, but I want to be able to dunk it with 2 hands.

Can you palm the ball? If you can't try cupping the ball against your forearm and dunking one handed first. Work up to the two handed dunk from there.
The House that Ruth built

topdog

• Getbig II
  • I'm a big P.I.M.P
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »
would investing in those shoes that help build verticle or would it be a waste of $$$$

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »
Box jumps, jump squats, the superman drill, 40s, jumping rope, 1-leg leg press, jump lunges, regular lunges, chain/band squats, regular squats, bound jumps

He's covered it. After thoroughly warming up, do any kind of jumping motion explosively. Some workouts use low resistance, others try using a little more.

Doing stairs at a good pace, or running hills will also help.

Any of these are tough on the central nervous system, if you're doing the work. 2-3 times a week, with sufficient rest between workouts.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:58:27 PM »
would investing in those shoes that help build verticle or would it be a waste of $$$$

In my opinion, stuff like that is about as effective as all of those ab machines you see plastered on infomercials 24/7.  Your best bet is to stick to old-fashioned training - too many new gadgets offer a quick fix when the only thing that changes is the thickness of your wallet.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
Shane Hamman, a guy who weighs 360+ lbs on a 5'6'' frame, dunks a basketball with two hands.
Thats impressive :o

Wolverine

• Getbig III
  • The Rabid Wolverine
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 08:17:04 AM »
working your calves would help as well
mrechef

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 10:55:24 AM »

Okay-- I do most of these to improve my running explosiveness but....what is the superman drill?  Is it jumping off a tall building with a single bound-- LOL 

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 06:56:21 PM »
Buy Jump Shoes!
Intensity; the measure of man

topdog

• Getbig II
  • I'm a big P.I.M.P
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »
I'll just go and see Lee Majors Doctors

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »
The thing I've found through my vast experiencing with increasing your vertical is just to practice jumping a lot! Touching the backboard, touching the rim. Stand below an object (backboard) and jump up repeatedly and touch it. Training legs also helps to build the foundation, but the bottom line is to practice jumping!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »

Okay-- I do most of these to improve my running explosiveness but....what is the superman drill?  Is it jumping off a tall building with a single bound-- LOL 

I recall a rebounding excersise from my basketball days being named the superman drill. You basically throws the ball in the backboard cross over the rim, having to catch it in air and put in back the same way and run for your own rebound. Google for basketball, superman and drill perhaps?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise